Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Oh yes, that Elba... Yes, that Elba... (Sighs and mutters).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,983
    It is rather strange. I personally haven't found anyone who's an avid Bond fan that advocates for Turner to be Bond.

I'm an avid Bond fan who advocated for Turner as Bond.
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    talos7 wrote: »
    It is rather strange. I personally haven't found anyone who's an avid Bond fan that advocates for Turner to be Bond.

I'm an avid Bond fan who advocated for Turner as Bond.

I mean people I have met in real life, Unless we've already met Talos....
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ah, real life.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,548
    oh, boy..., I'm a big fan of Danny Craig. I was sceptical when he was first cast. Within minutes of CR he blew the other Bond's out of the water-- save Connery.

In the next three films I watched closely, and, by SKYFALL, he had become my favourite 007 incarnation (he'd shown so many shades to the character he was playing, he hued closer to Fleming than any before him).

That's just my opinion.

I know that SPECTRE took a few steps back, BUT, the man in the tuxedo was just as fresh as when we first saw him (just more weathered).

And now, I'm doing a retrospective: the past two weekends, I have watched CR and QoS and I'm blown away by Craig's performances. He's the man. Literally. He's the man. When I think of Hiddles, I think little boy, with a Joker smile, in a nice suit, pretending to be a man; when I see the clips of Turner (clips, admittedly), I see an actor "playing" dress up. I don't believe he's got menace or danger.

Craig is so masculine, naturally, masculine, he really knocks the role out of the park. And, although I'm not favourable to the casting, the only one who comes close is Elba cos I can believe him as a man. I think Dan's the man until dethroned by someone with natural, masculine traits. Hiddles and Turner do not have that natural, male, viscerally masculine oomph to them. IMHO.
    You nailed it, Peter. And not only because I am the DC fan, that I am known to be. I would agree even if I hated Daniel. Hiddle is such a weasle. Nothing will change that.

And why are people actually try to argue with Mendes about Turner. Its like trying to convince me, that Dalton is better tben DC. No chance.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Yeah the more I hear about these choices, I admit I'm always open to change but really Craig is THE MAN. He's so much "the man" that to this day since 2006 I still try to copy that swagger he has when he moves and walks. It's on par, if not better than Connery. I've yet to see a modern actor that's this cool.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's exactly it GL and DG, it's like "they" (whoever "they" might be) are trying to squeeze a square peg through a round hole: Hiddles was good in Nightmanager therefore...; Turner looks like...

But it comes down to what Connery had, and Craig has in spades: raw, masculine charisma. It's the intangible. No school can teach it. You have it. Or you don't.

And that's the problem with casting the next Bond: who exudes this intangible? Certainly not Hiddles, no offence to his pedigree or acting ability, nor offence to Turner.

As DG mentioned, Craig's swagger. He's The Man. And a Man. He does it effortlessly. It's not an act, he just "is".

That's very hard to find.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    peter wrote: »
    That's exactly it GL and DG, it's like "they" (whoever "they" might be) are trying to squeeze a square peg through a round hole: Hiddles was good in Nightmanager therefore...; Turner looks like...

But it comes down to what Connery had, and Craig has in spades: raw, masculine charisma. It's the intangible. No school can teach it. You have it. Or you don't.

And that's the problem with casting the next Bond: who exudes this intangible? Certainly not Hiddles, no offence to his pedigree or acting ability, nor offence to Turner.

As DG mentioned, Craig's swagger. He's The Man. And a Man. He does it effortlessly. It's not an act, he just "is".

Agreed.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Agreed.

I like Daniel very much but its so funny how the people who has him as his favorite want someone very much in his style the same goes for Pierce, Moore and Sean Connery fans looking for the next Bond reminding them to their favorite.

as a Pierce fan niether Hidleston nor Turner convince me, many of you say Hey Hidleston would be like Pierce or some say it would br Turner but nooo.

Pierce in his prime was 1,000 times better looking than these two. His good looks were undeniable with Hidleston and Turner you might find them attractive after watching them for a while but Pierce was instantaneous.

Would they be good succesors, maybe but non of them Pierce like candidates and niether Craig likes.
    They would be completely different from any of our previous guys ( no matter who it is your favorite of the past Bonds) so it shocks me that some here team Hidleston or Turner.

Now to Craig fans the closest to your man is Nikolaj Coster Waldau( Jammie Lannister from Game of Thrones).

He is masculine though, roughly handsome and very tall, well he loosk very much like a young Sean Bean and i bet you wouldn't mind a Bond who looks like him. He was quite handosme and he was the most Attractive Boond villian in my opinion.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Elba looks so old now. He's aged overnight, like a pear. Hiddleston looks older too. I know he's only 35, but he looks closer to 40 IMO. Maybe its just his haircut.

It doesn't matter how old Elba looks. He's black so it's an automatic no for the character of Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For some it is an automatic yes.
    When we get an Asian Shaft and a White Black Panther I will be fine with a black bond Untill then nope Shaft and Black Panther are black Batman and Bond are white.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Elba looks so old now. He's aged overnight, like a pear. Hiddleston looks older too. I know he's only 35, but he looks closer to 40 IMO. Maybe its just his haircut.

It doesn't matter how old Elba looks. He's black so it's an automatic no for the character of Bond.
    Plain and simple.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Risico007 wrote: »
    When we get an Asian Shaft and a White Black Panther I will be fine with a black bond Untill then nope Shaft and Black Panther are black Batman and Bond are white.

I'm not advocating for a Black Bond but you using Shaft and Black Panther as examples of being fair game of race swapping shows a clear absence of understanding racial discourse.

doubleoego wrote: »

I'm not advocating for a Black Bond but you using Shaft and Black Panther as examples of being fair game of race swapping shows a clear absence of understanding racial discourse.

On whose part? Poster gave those maybe as extreme examples but regardless Bond is a white character.

I did give them as extreme examples but the truth still stand in my words just like I wouldn't want say a white or Asian Blade (a character whose race can be seen as superlifous) I wouldn't want a black bond etc
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Would you cast Colin Firth as Axel Foley? No. So why Elba as Bond. Both equally stupid suggestions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »

Would you cast Colin Firth as Axel Foley? No. So why Elba as Bond. Both equally stupid suggestions.

What an out-of-left-field comparison.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Yes, Bond is a white character. So is Felix Leiter who's from the South, growing up and living in a time and place where it was a curse to be black but these 2 are characters who's essences as fundimentally contemporary characters aren't defined and beholden to specific racial and cultural dynamics; the same way Shaft and Black Panther are by specific and conscious design. Felix has been played by 2 black actors, we have a Moneypenny currently a black woman. These are characters created from the same time period and come from the same world Fleming created. Why is Bond exempt from a race change while Felix and Moneypenny are fair game? Bond clearly doesn't have to be white and there's more than just annecdotal evidence to support that but understandably at the same time many people prefer for him to remain as he is. In the world of fiction and make believe there are many characters of different races that can be interchangeable, hence why Hollywood as we know are notorious for white washing not just in fictional stories but even historical events and not giving a fuck about what would also be anthropologically impossible/incorrect or we get remakes and reimaginings of the same films and characters where the entire cast has been race swapped. The fact is Bond is a mostly set in its ways long standing institution and many people don't want that messed and tinkered with; it's not necessary but given the nature, essence and cultural embodiment of the character it's not impossible for him to be a man that isn't white.

edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Edit
    No you're right not impossible.
    Yes, Bond is a white character. So is Felix Leiter who's from the South, growing up and living in a time and place where it was a curse to be black but these 2 are characters who's essences as fundimentally contemporary characters aren't defined and beholden to specific racial and cultural dynamics; the same way Shaft and Black Panther are by specific and conscious design. Felix has been played by 2 black actors, we have a Moneypenny currently a black woman. These are characters created from the same time period and come from the same world Fleming created. Why is Bond exempt from a race change while Felix and Moneypenny are fair game? Bond clearly doesn't have to be white and there's more than just annecdotal evidence to support that but understandably at the same time many people prefer for him to remain as he is. In the world of fiction and make believe there are many characters of different races that can be interchangeable, hence why Hollywood as we know are notorious for white washing not just in fictional stories but even historical events and not giving a fuck about what would also be anthropologically impossible/incorrect or we get remakes and reimaginings of the same films and characters where the entire cast has been race swapped. The fact is Bond is a mostly set in its ways long standing institution and many people don't want that messed and tinkered with; it's not necessary but given the nature, essence and cultural embodiment of the character it's not impossible for him to be a man that isn't white.

Well said. =D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd like to point out that Stallone reportedly was the first pick for Axel Foley. I'm happy that didn't happen, much as I like Sly.

Bond has white skin.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Bond has white skin.

=D>
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 233

Excellent post, but you're wasting your time I'm afraid. I spent pages debating exactly the same thing on the Bond 25 Production thread.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He he , this again!

I will tell you who cannot be black: Pink Panther.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    He he , this again!

But he can be gay!
    He he , this again!

Pink is the new orange... And orange is the new black...

Just give it a few years.