Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    @bondywondy what the heck was that?

I'm guessing you're trolling a bit with that reply but I'll take your bait. ;)

My point is ego can play a part. Some actors are a bit narcissistic/ego driven and want to believe unfounded rumour and hype. That's why Idris Elba made the cringe comment..
    "I’m probably the most famous Bond actor in the world, and I’ve not even played the role."

His comment was in reference to the media attention about him becoming the next Bond and the first black Bond.

Okay... he may have been exaggerating when he said he was "the most famous Bond" but I'm sure he enjoyed the media attention. Maybe his ego got the better of him. I got the impression he was actively pushing himself to be Bond. Example:

_79951191_twitter.png

He was using reverse psychology to promote himself. He was pretending to be too unattractive to play the role in the hope of getting attention. He wanted his Twitter followers to say "you look perfect for Bond. Go for it."

He gets their validation so it becomes a narcissistic desire to play Bond.

I don't know if Aaron Taylor is narcissistic about wanting Bond. My point was an actor can foolishly believe the unfounded hype (such as Elba) and nothing comes of it. Anyway, some dude in the US called Jeff Sneider says ATJ is not a lock for the part. Not that he is any expert on Bond casting. ;))

You must be new here, so I'll cut you some slack.
    You can't stop the press! @bondywondy
    ATJ looks like a bit fat, not combat fit.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    You can't stop the press! @bondywondy
    ATJ looks like a bit fat, not combat fit.

Are you insane? He looks incredible. He's now the face of Calvin Klein underwear, as well.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 6,677
    He definitely looks a bit chubby there :)) Not fit at all. He can barely move.
    Btw, good eyebrow game, that’s the main thing and everybody knows it ;)
    A bit bulky then. I've seen this body type before. Bond should be a swimmer, runner, cyclist etc
    Great leap by ATJ
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,431
    A bit bulky then. I've seen this body type before. Bond should be a swimmer, runner, cyclist etc
    Great leap by ATJ

There's what Bond should be on the page, and then what Bond needs to be on screen. He needs to be a sex symbol, and after Craig, I don't think we can go back to a slimmer Bond. Maybe the right actor could work, but I don't see the Nicholas Hoult types being as... exposable.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Great leap by ATJ

There's what Bond should be on the page, and then what Bond needs to be on screen. He needs to be a sex symbol, and after Craig, I don't think we can go back to a slimmer Bond. Maybe the right actor could work, but I don't see the Nicholas Hoult types being as... exposable.

That's a good point. Buff Bond looks better on screen
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There's what Bond should be on the page, and then what Bond needs to be on screen. He needs to be a sex symbol, and after Craig, I don't think we can go back to a slimmer Bond.

💯… it’s a visual medium. And Craig’s blue trunks brought in all kinds of eyeballs.

The next guy has to do the same.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    There's what Bond should be on the page, and then what Bond needs to be on screen. He needs to be a sex symbol, and after Craig, I don't think we can go back to a slimmer Bond.

💯… it’s a visual medium. And Craig’s blue trunks brought in all kinds of eyeballs.

The next guy has to do the same.

I agree and still chuckle when I see or hear someone describing Craig as “ Muscle Bound “ . He was lean and had functional muscle that perfectly reflected his Bond’s background.
    I'll say it again, ATJ's eyebrow game is evermore impressive than his muscles, and that's the main thing. Even bigger than the voice. The eyebrows. Specially after Mr. No-eyebrows-DC, who I love but...had no eyebrow game :D L-)
    Well I do know that casting an actor with a boy’s voice would definitely raise a few eyebrows.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Well I do know that casting an actor with a boy’s voice would definitely raise a few eyebrows.
    :))
    Just have Theo James dub him.
    I can see it in him
    Univex wrote: »
    I'll say it again, ATJ's eyebrow game is evermore impressive than his muscles, and that's the main thing. Even bigger than the voice. The eyebrows. Specially after Mr. No-eyebrows-DC, who I love but...had no eyebrow game :D L-)

Bond was supposed to have attended posh schools before getting kicked out. Sooooooooooo - I suppose he should have a highbrow eyebrow ?

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Univex wrote: »
    :))
    Just have Theo James dub him.

Sadly, Nikki van der Zyl is no longer available.

Concerning body composition it is a funny old question that generally runs through Hollywood. To have the physique many of these leading men have, they basically have to commit to that almost full-time for months
    (cue the Rob McElhenney insta post:

)
    That of course is completely unbelievable for many of the roles they play. And even for a role like Bond, he never struck me as a "lift weights six days a week, stop drinking alcohol, don’t eat anything after 7pm, don’t eat any carbs or sugar at all, in fact just don’t eat anything you like, get the personal trainer from Magic Mike, sleep nine hours a night, run three miles a day"-guy.
    But then, you want him to be a hero. We want him to be exceptional. He doesn't need to be realistic. He probably never has been.
    I don't know where I am going with this.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think Bond #7 has to be in good shape, perhaps not as bulky as Craig was though.

I think given that they're following on from Craig, it'll be an easy criticism of the new guy that he isn't as ripped as Daniel was.

It's weird thought to be comparing Bond #7 to Craig as the standard to reach for. Who would have thought that in 2005
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I'd still prefer Bond to look more like this:

f3eba6c427c34d678685b68ef7fefea7--pierce-brosnan-james-bond.jpg

Than this:

james-bond-sale-008.jpg?width=465&quality=85&dpr=1&s=none

Craig looks like he belongs on a Chippendale podium, instead of international spy missions.
    I don’t think a ripped Bond is what we need.
    Connery, Lazenby, Moore or Dalton weren’t muscular or ripped. Brosnan neither to a certain extent.
    Bond isn’t a superhuman with super strength or abilities.
    For me that is one of his strengths and something that appeals to me.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I completely agree mate, Bond should be a thinking man. Brains over Brawn but with that being said, I think people expect Bond to be in great physical shape as well.
    I think Brosnan was different, given that he looked like a model, it made sense that he was Bond.

I wouldn't mind the next guy being a normal build, but I just can't see them going down that route
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's weird thought to be comparing Bond #7 to Craig as the standard to reach for. Who would have thought that in 2005
    Exactly - whoever the new bloke is, he's going to get the 'he's not as good as Daniel Craig' criticism at some point. The irony...

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    I think Craig (as he has in many others areas) set a new standard it'll be hard to come back from. And it's an expectation with action stars in general now that they're in excellent shape, so I'm sure that'll continue for Bond.
    A thinking man can also possess physical prowess. I think Bond should embody both.
    Daniel Craig took the archetypal Bond and turned it on its head.
    It's not a bad thing, but the vision of Bond that we had, isn't always the direction the series will or can go in.
    I'm not a huge fan of the buff Bond, but it can also work. And would be appealing to many audience members.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A thinking man can also possess physical prowess. I think Bond should embody both.

💯 % @talos7 ….

Back in the day, I thought Brozz looked like a pencil in GE. Too thin. Then I found him to be lacking in over all athleticism for the rest of his run.

I do think Craig’s fitness was perfect. As talos mentioned yesterday: Craig was functional (if you’re trained in unarmed combat, sprints, swimming, strength training etc., nowadays you’re pretty much going to look like a variation of Craig (low fat mass, higher lean mass).

edited March 2023 Posts: 1,431
    This may be controversial, but I also don't want a screen Bond who lives like he's in the 50s. What would Bond today do? He would go to the gym. (Not saying we need to see this, but it's how the character would probably live.) We did see him swimming on his own volition in Skyfall, and a bit of the MI6 endurance training or whatever.

Skyfall-0480.jpg

I don't think Craig ever looked too muscle-lean. He's still got a plumpness. He fills out a shirt nicely.
    peter wrote: »

💯 % @talos7 ….

Back in the day, I thought Brozz looked like a pencil in GE. Too thin. Then I found him to be lacking in over all athleticism for the rest of his run.

I do think Craig’s fitness was perfect. As talos mentioned yesterday: Craig was functional (if you’re trained in unarmed combat, sprints, swimming, strength training etc., nowadays you’re pretty much going to look like a variation of Craig (low fat mass, higher lean mass).

100% right.
    The question for ATJ's Calvin Klein shoot is... can he keep that body for 10-20 years?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @LucknFate , fully agree. Smoking 60 cigarettes/day, drinking scotch and champagne and doing a push ups isn’t going to cut it nowadays.

Craig put on, and took off, the mass he felt was appropriate for the character in each given film. But he always remained lean and athletic; he appears as if he could burst into a sprint if needed, tackle a baddie, grapple and box….

Bond doesn’t need to be the Incredible Hulk, and Craig’s build never was.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    @bondywondy what the heck was that?

I'm guessing you're trolling a bit with that reply but I'll take your bait. ;)

My point is ego can play a part. Some actors are a bit narcissistic/ego driven and want to believe unfounded rumour and hype. That's why Idris Elba made the cringe comment..
    "I’m probably the most famous Bond actor in the world, and I’ve not even played the role."

His comment was in reference to the media attention about him becoming the next Bond and the first black Bond.

Okay... he may have been exaggerating when he said he was "the most famous Bond" but I'm sure he enjoyed the media attention. Maybe his ego got the better of him. I got the impression he was actively pushing himself to be Bond. Example:

_79951191_twitter.png

He was using reverse psychology to promote himself. He was pretending to be too unattractive to play the role in the hope of getting attention. He wanted his Twitter followers to say "you look perfect for Bond. Go for it."

He gets their validation so it becomes a narcissistic desire to play Bond.

I don't know if Aaron Taylor is narcissistic about wanting Bond. My point was an actor can foolishly believe the unfounded hype (such as Elba) and nothing comes of it. Anyway, some dude in the US called Jeff Sneider says ATJ is not a lock for the part. Not that he is any expert on Bond casting. ;))

Ah, you see, this is what we call ‘taking the piss’. Idris is a London Boy, I can assure you he is not pushing for the role here. He’s likely annoyed about being asked about it, and Danny Boyle ruled any still working class lads when he declared Idris too street. Ironic, cos Connery hadn’t yet gone full-luvvie when he got the role. He did later mind you.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    And here we are, two camps yet again with vastly differing opinions regarding Bond's preferred physique. Imo it's so much cooler for Bond not to be particularly vain/ sporty, rather more aloof and still kick ass where he wants, when he wants. Bond in a way is super human after all (eff you NTTD, you're not canon).

Dalts looks perf.

Dalton-Blue-Suit-Trousers.jpg