Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've had mine pending in the "pre-orders" list of my favourite comics / graphic novels online store for much longer than any other pre-order I've ever placed before. I want it, badly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's been in the pipeline for four years, at least.

Do remember though, fellas, there's a prequel series of comics set in the original Fleming timeline (well, before the events of the novels, anyway) coming around this Spring. I wonder if they want Royale to coincide with a significant entry in those series.
    CR delayed again, but this time, there is a preview in Amazon (!) and the book seems finish and I think there are few chance that it will be delayed again...

That preview is quite extensive! Usually it's the first three pages but there are several chapters up and they all look great! I'm looking forward to it even more now!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    JET007 wrote: »
    CR delayed again, but this time, there is a preview in Amazon (!) and the book seems finish and I think there are few chance that it will be delayed again...

That preview is quite extensive! Usually it's the first three pages but there are several chapters up and they all look great! I'm looking forward to it even more now!

wow it's even more extensive than the preview we got by the end of last year from HumbleBundle. Could be almost the first quater or fifth of the whole book

I am very relieved though to see that the dialogue was not PGed!
    Especially Bonds comments about Vesper and women on the mission.
    Looks like we might get it in March after all, I'm definitly more hopefull now
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    You can watch artist PJ Holden being interviewed last night on The Arts Show (BBC Two Northern Ireland) here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qls36

It was interesting, thanks.
    I have a feeling we are getting very close to the release...
    I still don't believe that the current date will be the final one, but March seems very plausible. fingers crossed.

00Agent wrote: »
    This is simply beautiful!
    I have a feeling we are getting very close to the release...
    I still don't believe that the current date will be the final one, but March seems very plausible. fingers crossed.

Comixology listed its release on 28th of February, but I still doubt that's the date. Dynamite hasn't marketed this title properly as of yet, which needs to be done full time and build up the hype. This is the most precious of all the James Bond entries they are to publish.
    The Amazon release date is 13.03, and i always stick to Amazon as they are more reliable. It definitly won't be February. My prediction is, it could get pushed back one or two more weeks and come out end of march
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Perhaps it's possible that Dynamite just aren't good at marketing the CR book?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    OK, just ordered my first comic (Hammerhead). The guy from the shop also said I might be interested in Varg or something to that extend. If I've followed this thread correctly Hammerhead is good, but I couldn't remember the other one. Any ideas? By your enthousiasm I think I need to buy all Dynamite books?
    OK, just ordered my first comic (Hammerhead). The guy from the shop also said I might be interested in Varg or something to that extend. If I've followed this thread correctly Hammerhead is good, but I couldn't remember the other one. Any ideas? By your enthousiasm I think I need to buy all Dynamite books?

Why not, there aren't that many anyway.
    I like them all, some more, some less.
    Vargr is pretty good, then you have Eidolon which was a direct sequel to Vargr.
    I also like Black Box very much, it's a bit more Moore/Brosnan, but the art is something that you either like or hate.

I highly recommend Solstice as well, it's a short story comic, around 35 pages, but it's one of the best, written by a true Fleming fanboy.
    The most recommended ones, @CommanderRoss are:
    1-Hammerhead
    2-Kill Chain
    3-Solstice
    4-Felix Leiter (spin-off, albeit a great one!)

But, if you're a collector and have further interest in the series, go for the rest, as well.
    @CommanderRoss
    If you were looking for a way into, say, Batman, I'd try to scramble together some titles. There's just too much Batman stuff out there to read it all.

But with these Dynamite Bond publishings, there's only about 7 titles plus some one-offs you need to read and you've got them all. I personally love them all, from VARGR and Eidolon to Black Box and Kill Chain, plus the shorts. I think you will regret it one day if you're going to be selective now that you can find them all still in print. Ten to fifteen years from now, you may want to read them and then have to drop a lot of money on ebay. ;-)
    very true.
    I had to pay around 120 Dollar for a copy of Serpents Tooth, and i can't even find a collected edition of Permission to Die anymore.

You can easily get any Dynamite title on amazon right now
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    That's a lot of money for a comic, @00Agent. Glad my uncle had copies of all the three issues from back in the day. My inheritance. Lol!
    So your Bond fandom runs in the family? thats cool.

The collected edition costs that much unfortunately.
    Since it's the best, i thought it's worth it.
    I would actually spend the same amount on a collected edtion of Permission to Die, but that books is extremely rare, and i haven't seen any offers anywhere.
    That's exactly why I encourage CommanderRoss to grab all the titles while he can still get them at discount prices.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Allright, it's more a matter of whichone goes first I think. Seven albums I can handle. As I've been dissapointed with the continuation novels, I wasn't too keen on anything 'new' except the films (still think 'young Bond' is the worst idea ever), but as the Dynamite comics are getting rave reviews, and Bond seems closer to Fleming then I've seen anywhere before, I'll go for the bunch.
    Good boy!
    So your Bond fandom runs in the family? thats cool.
    Yes, it does. My father introduced me to Bond. :D
    Wow that is cool, wish i had anyone in my live who shares my enthusiasm for 007 let alone a family member. Though my mother did have the hots for Roger when I was younger, so i got my first glimpses of Bond when she watched his movies on TV.
    Looks good! are they all in b/w?
    Looks good! are they all in b/w?

No, thats just the preview before the colorist stepped in.
    They will all be in color later on.

I do have to say though, that i kinda like the black and white.
    This page in particular reminds me a lot of Sin City, the Graphic Novel that is.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,295
    That's some nice artwork right there! Although I do like the work colourists put in on comic books (many colourists are doing really, really fantastic stuff), there's a certain draw to b/w work, if you ask me. The b/w work of Alex Toth, Alex Raymond, Al Williamson and John McLusky looks so good, that adding colour would be wrong!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That's some nice artwork right there! Although I do like the work colourists put in on comic books (many colourists are doing really, really fantastic stuff), there's a certain draw to b/w work, if you ask me. The b/w work of Alex Toth, Alex Raymond, Al Williamson and John McLusky looks so good, that adding colour would be wrong!

I rather like the Sunday Stripes for Flash Gordon by Raymond from the 30s.
    55.jpg

I rather like the Sunday Stripes for Flash Gordon by Raymond from the 30s.
    55.jpg

They are really good! Seen a few online from time to time, but I have yet to read any Flash Gordon stories. Still prefer Raymond's b/w artwork, like his Rip Kirby comic strips:

Raymond-55-06-24.jpg
    RK%2053%2012-31.jpg

Those lines! That shading! Fantastic!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Raymond was a master.
    Raymond was a master.

Very much so!