Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    A
    00Agent wrote: »
    Looks good! are they all in b/w?

No, thats just the preview before the colorist stepped in.
    They will all be in color later on.

I do have to say though, that i kinda like the black and white.
    This page in particular reminds me a lot of Sin City, the Graphic Novel that is.

A black and white period Bond comic would work very well.

Hey, so far I only have VARGR...if some of the other volumes go on sale online on some site can some one from here please tag me?

Also...what are the current prices for the volume 2 and 3 etc?

I totally lost my touch with this series sadly :'( I thought I'd have more money and time and..oh well :(
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The succeeding installments are even better, @dragonsky. There was a sale not too long ago.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I finally got around to reading Black Box #1-6. The meeting with Felix, the first one, gives me vibes of the meeting with Felix in TLD (Bond and Felix working the same mission, but from opposite ends). Frankly, i'm loving what Dynamite have been doing with Bond, other than the art for Black Box (which I thought was to be very garish). I don't have a problem with Bond being shown to be a real piece of work.
    They got Felix completely wrong, though. In Black Box, that is. His brotherly relationship with Bond was completely tarnished in this one, and the writer treated Felix as if he were a regular CIA agent who saw the British as pumpous slimebags and acted like a big shot. That bothered me too much in that title. Felix was as good as a different character there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They got Felix completely wrong, though. In Black Box, that is. His brotherly relationship with Bond was completely tarnished in this one, and the writer treated Felix as if he were a regular CIA agent who saw the British as pumpous slimebags and acted like a big shot. That bothered me too much in that title. Felix was as good as a different character there.

Isn't that the US on the whole though, always acting the big shot?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Could be that the US must act the big shot because nobody else around the globe has the resources or the desire to be a worldwide police. Someone has to be the hegemonic power and sadly I hardly see anyone willing to help shoulder some of the weight. The Russians seem to like the disarray, the Chinese would be hard to trust and the Brits have their own problems right now and aren't the empire that was. A very trying time.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Felix isn't that kind of a character, however. He's the kind of person who'd risk his life and career for Bond, and the other would do the same for him, too. Black Box eliminated that. Thankfully, that was revived in Kill Chain.

A Bond game can't be and won't be announced anytime soon until the Bond film franchise that the game franchise is a subsidiary of, gains a distributor. That's why MGM Interactive no longer acts as the distribution studio for the Bond games. Not since the pickle they were in since 2003-04.
    Another preview at the upcoming Bond spinoff, M:

DWVHlKaW0AU2R4M.jpg:large
    Incredible. Very excited about the Belfast setting! Victoria Sq looks amazing!
    A few pages of The Body # 2 here :

https://cbr.com/james-bond-the-body-2/
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited February 2018 Posts: 7,973
    Not too enthralled with the drawings in the second one (first one looks superb!) but both have me more then interested. Right, when's my salary coming in again? ;-)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Gerard wrote: »
    A few pages of The Body # 2 here :

https://cbr.com/james-bond-the-body-2/

It's pretty much the same drawing style we had in Service, which was also done by the same artist. I just like the coloring style better in this issue.

I do like the art in M a lot though.
    Yeah, not too excited about this one. Sorry. Fuso’s work kind of puts me off.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I passionately agree. It's far too kiddie for a start, but probably the worst art I've seen yet for these comics and entirely uninspired.

You can see in the panel layout that the same expressions of the characters are just repeated again and again with barely any variation in emotion. Compositionally I just don't think it could've been drawn more boring. Sort of like the artist used one of those beginner pages from a Draw Comics Like A Pro! books and sent it forth for coloring.
    Does his non Bond work look better? Just saw some panels that looked more detailed than the artwork linked to above.
    Does his non Bond work look better? Just saw some panels that looked more detailed than the artwork linked to above.
    If so, his inker and colorist are letting him down. But I think the pencils are largely to blame for why the images don't inspire.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423

I passionately agree. It's far too kiddie for a start, but probably the worst art I've seen yet for these comics and entirely uninspired.

You can see in the panel layout that the same expressions of the characters are just repeated again and again with barely any variation in emotion. Compositionally I just don't think it could've been drawn more boring. Sort of like the artist used one of those beginner pages from a Draw Comics Like A Pro! books and sent it forth for coloring.
    Precisely. His characters look far too simplistic and minor, as if it’s done by someone who’s a beginner in the hobby. His art was one of the main reasons I didn’t enjoy Service as much as I was supposed to.

Thing is, I give Rapha Lobosco and Jason Masters a lot of flack for similar reasons, but at least their drawings look a bit more intact with the comic’s storytelling. But, Masters has the same problem as Fuso: His male characters all have the same outline, same outlook, same structure, same expressions.

I’m hoping Eoin Marron, who’s new to the Bond saga, doesn’t end up joining these two in the arts of mediocrity in the Bond Comics.

Now, Luca Casalanguida, Ibrahim Moustafa and Aaron Campbell... These people knew what they were doing, and I loved their work immensely so to speak. They elevated the scripts they were given and made the titles they contributed in very worthy of owning copies of.
  • That's some nice artwork right there! Although I do like the work colourists put in on comic books (many colourists are doing really, really fantastic stuff), there's a certain draw to b/w work, if you ask me. The b/w work of Alex Toth, Alex Raymond, Al Williamson and John McLusky looks so good, that adding colour would be wrong!

I rather like the Sunday Stripes for Flash Gordon by Raymond from the 30s.
    55.jpg

They are really good! Seen a few online from time to time, but I have yet to read any Flash Gordon stories. Still prefer Raymond's b/w artwork, like his Rip Kirby comic strips:

Raymond-55-06-24.jpg
    RK%2053%2012-31.jpg

Those lines! That shading! Fantastic!

A few things to keep in mind for discussions of this sort: (1) The Flash Gordon page was done for a Sunday newspaper comics supplement and designed with color in mind. (2) The Rip Kirby strips were drawn for the week-day comics page when no color would be utilized. Raymond used his technique for lines & shading on the daily strips deliberately. Also, (3) in the '40s & '50s, newspaper strips were printed much larger than is the case today -- the detail in those strips showed quite clearly then, but they wouldn't if similar work was even offered in today's newspaper strips. Yes, Raymond's work was brilliant, whether a full page in color, or a single strip in B&W -- but we should always consider the context when evaluating these things!
    That's some nice artwork right there! Although I do like the work colourists put in on comic books (many colourists are doing really, really fantastic stuff), there's a certain draw to b/w work, if you ask me. The b/w work of Alex Toth, Alex Raymond, Al Williamson and John McLusky looks so good, that adding colour would be wrong!

I rather like the Sunday Stripes for Flash Gordon by Raymond from the 30s.
    55.jpg

They are really good! Seen a few online from time to time, but I have yet to read any Flash Gordon stories. Still prefer Raymond's b/w artwork, like his Rip Kirby comic strips:

Raymond-55-06-24.jpg
    RK%2053%2012-31.jpg

Those lines! That shading! Fantastic!

A few things to keep in mind for discussions of this sort: (1) The Flash Gordon page was done for a Sunday newspaper comics supplement and designed with color in mind. (2) The Rip Kirby strips were drawn for the week-day comics page when no color would be utilized. Raymond used his technique for lines & shading on the daily strips deliberately. Also, (3) in the '40s & '50s, newspaper strips were printed much larger than is the case today -- the detail in those strips showed quite clearly then, but they wouldn't if similar work was even offered in today's newspaper strips. Yes, Raymond's work was brilliant, whether a full page in color, or a single strip in B&W -- but we should always consider the context when evaluating these things!

Definitely agree with this - I was just pointing out that I prefer his bw/artwork. I've seen some colourized b/w comic strip panels (usually for covers or similar), and that just takes the magic straight out of the original art.
    It's like being asked to watch Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon or Citizen Kane in color. I mean, who the hell would do that?!?!
    It's like being asked to watch Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon or Citizen Kane in color. I mean, who the hell would do that?!?!

That’s scary.

Oh, the horror!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Very nice Review Clark, i enjoyed the Comic very much as well. Good story, good Talent involved.
    But i wouldn't want a follow up for it. I felt like this was really all they could and should do with the character and there's really no need or interest to do more (similar to Moneypenny, but M was much better though.)

Also i am glad that with M we got a second comic today after The Body #2 which must have been the most pointless entry of the entire Dynamite catalogue, but i should probably leave it at that :)) #NotMyBond
    We'll see how that will continue.
    Thank you, @00Agent. :D

I wouldn't want a follow-up, either. It's a one-off and should stay that way. All I meant was that if they'd ever make a "Bondverse", an M one-off with either Fiennes (Mallory) or David Harewood (being Dynamite's M) is something I'd actually watch. Nothing lengthy or extravagant. Perhaps an hour and fifteen minutes type of a spy thriller film in the vein of Le Carre style story having M in a corner only he himself could get out of.

Moneypenny, though? No, thank you. :))

I also agree about The Body #2, which I'm not going to review. Otherwise, I might get into a verbal fight with the author. ;)
    And here I was looking forward to going to the shop for a new 007 comic. :(
    JET007 wrote: »
    And here I was looking forward to going to the shop for a new 007 comic. :(

now i feel bad @JET007 :)) i love the anticipation of the new Bond comic release each month.
    Go and buy M instead, can't go wrong with that.
    No worries, @00Agent . I originally wasn't going to get M, but I think I will after seeing everyone's reactions here.