Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 5,808
    Cover and sollicit for The Body # 5 :

STL080540?type=1
    The beatings. The virus. The assassin. The secrets. Everything comes together during a terror attack that may not even exist.

In stores on may 16th 2018.
    Nice to see Brosnan's P99s!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 850
    I have a question. I don't read them, but did the 2 comics The Body are linked together or it is independants stories each issues ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They're kind of linked, but not too much. They are sort of episodic.

Thanks for the answer.
    Thanks for the answer.
    No problem.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What's with The Body #2 that has people riled? Spoiler tags are welcome for the virgin ears who want to avoid knowing. I just have a mild curiosity.
    What's with The Body #2 that has people riled? Spoiler tags are welcome for the virgin ears who want to avoid knowing. I just have a mild curiosity.
    The art is weak, as Fuso manages to muck up yet another issue and he's assigned to deliver the next one, as well. Special kid and all that. The story was just pointless, being out of Bond's cube and the fact that after all that pointless conversation he had, he got outsmarted and proved the point of the girl he was interrogating. Subtitled The Brain, it hardly has anything to do with actual mind games that the issue promised. Ales Kot slipped in a few one-liners he thought to be clever, but they just backfired.

I'm not excited about this title in the slightest and won't rush into getting the rest of the copies. I'll get a collected edition of the title sometime later this year... or maybe wait even more till it gets a special offer.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Yeah, it's just two people in a room talking to each other, from the first to the last panel. Hardly exciting in itself, but then the dialogue just misses the point as well.
    It's not a Bond story in the slightest, and it's filled with all this millenial guilt about colonialism and whatnot, and at the end Bond comes across as a dumbass too.

So either way you want to look at it, it does not work, not as a Bond story and not as a clever comic by itself.
    I liked issue #1 and i look forward to #3, for now i look at 2 as a slip up.
    The art is weak, as Fuso manages to muck up yet another issue and he's assigned to deliver the next one, as well.
    Not sure but i think thats not the case, his name is on the cover that is released so far, but if you check the Dynamite homepage, it says that Lobosco will do #3. I think they will follow through with having a different Artist for each issue.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,281
    Looks a little John Romita Jr. inspired, doesn't it?
    I can see that. Maybe with some Klaus Janson inks?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Agent wrote: »
    Yeah, it's just two people in a room talking to each other, from the first to the last panel. Hardly exciting in itself, but then the dialogue just misses the point as well.
    Oh my. So those horrid panels of Bond and that girl are that entire comic? Christ.
    Listen, I know this is a tough thing to ask of a man, but is it at all possible to get Casalanguida to just do all the Dynamite issues down the line? The wait would be longer, but it'd be worth it. ;)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Oh my. So those horrid panels of Bond and that girl are that entire comic? Christ.

Yupp, thats all you get. Just a lot of talking that has very little, if anything to do with Bond being Bond.
    That's supposed to be a top notch work? Looks like an amateur's guide to delivering comic book drawn characters. I don't know what to say, really. It appears Dynamite is giving the Bond title some backseat in the last few months, and focusing on Red Sonja and Vampirella instead.
    The art is weak, as Fuso manages to muck up yet another issue and he's assigned to deliver the next one, as well.
    Not sure but i think thats not the case, his name is on the cover that is released so far, but if you check the Dynamite homepage, it says that Lobosco will do #3. I think they will follow through with having a different Artist for each issue.
    I sincerely hope so. I'm not a fan of his work and I'd rather not see him do Bond, again.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Aye Vinny, get a drink for Jimmy "The Walther" Bond ova here!
    Murdock wrote: »
    Aye Vinny, get a drink for Jimmy "The Walther" Bond ova here!
    That's fairly accurate. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What's with his eyes? Is Bond doing a Gilbert Gottfried impression now?
    I don't mean to disparage any fellow artists, but yes, Sherman's work from what I've seen is lacking. I do wonder what drives the choice of artist from issue to issue or book to book, as outside of a few notable exceptions the art of these Dynamite books hasn't wowed me and that's arguably the most dominant feature of a comic. To really lift material you need guys like Casalanguida who so clearly understand panel design and whose style is engaging and interesting. When an artist on a main book looks to be at a below professional level, that's a problem.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Perhaps they're saving up their talents for James Bond Origins: The War Years, which they still haven't replied to me for a question I asked about the title. Maybe I asked them too many questions.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm trying to like those drawings, but I don't. This does not bode well.. Just as I was getting interested. Anyway, hven't heard from the comic shop yet but Hammerhead should be on it's way. One thing though, I'd also prefer a longer wait and consistend quality over different artists and speed. The power of many series, after all, is just that.
    @ClarkDevlin, have you any inkling what artists are being chosen for the Bond prequel comics? And will they be canon with the Bond character we see in the Fleming adaptations that are to be coming?
    @ClarkDevlin, have you any inkling what artists are being chosen for the Bond prequel comics? And will they be canon with the Bond character we see in the Fleming adaptations that are to be coming?
    I've no idea, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. All I know is that after they moved the publishing timetable from Fall 2017 to Spring 2018, they seem to be planning something big and significant. At least that's what I assume. Perhaps they'll make an announcement of sorts in the up and coming weeks if Spring 2018 is still the period they want to release their comics in.

From what I understand with the chronology, the events are set between 1941 and 1945 when Bond joins the Ministry of Defence and is drafted to RNVR. It's supposed to be an adequately intact prequel to Fleming's original timeline. Now, whether they even would try and incorporate the events taken place in the Young Bond novels or not, that is also in question.
    @ClarkDevlin, I don't think the young Bond books are in the discussion, I'm just curious if the Bond we see in these prequel comics is going to be the same one that is appearing in the adapted Fleming books starting with CR. I only say this because the Fleming adaptations are keeping the timeline in post-war 50s, and if there were comics coming that were telling of Bond's wartime exploits around the same time, I'd expect them to be connected.
    Yes, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. It's going to be the Fleming Bond. Or at least the roots and the making of what became the Fleming Bond.
    I'll probably connect the wartime Bond and the Bond in the Fleming adaptations anyway, as part of my head canon. It's the only thing that would make sense.

Could Dynamite be holding off the release of CR so that they can first debut the beginning issues of the wartime comics as a lead-in to CR? In the book Bond does make mention of many wartime jobs he had, and how cool would it be if the first wartime comic adapted that mission involving gambling that Bond mentions early in the first book?
    That's what I think, as well. They definitely might be holding off to that one and the CR book, I suspect, will be paving the way in for that one. Who knows?

Personally, I think it'd be nice if these prequel comics connect both the Young Bond chronicles and Anthony Horowitz's Forever And A Day, which would be terrific rather than keeping them in alternate/separate continuities.
    That's what I think, as well. They definitely might be holding off to that one and the CR book, I suspect, will be paving the way in for that one. Who knows?

Personally, I think it'd be nice if these prequel comics connect both the Young Bond chronicles and Anthony Horowitz's Forever And A Day, which would be terrific rather than keeping them in alternate/separate continuities.

from what i gathered from the artist interviews, IFP is heavily involved in making sure the conntinuity and the character are intact in all those works (CR, FAAD, etc) so i hope it will all connect, or at least make sense overall.
    I guess it depends what kind of relationship Dynamite and IFP have, and what liberties they are allowed to take with what can be shared across mediums.

I personally don't care, either way. Horowitz seems okay, but Fleming is the only authority worth reading on Bond and anything else is glorified fan fiction in my eyes. As for Young Bond, I don't like the stretched credibility of Bond having all these crazy adventures as a lad to foreshadow all the crazy things he does as an adult. Part of what makes the Fleming books interesting is how you gradually see Bond shocked and shaken by what he sees and must do to survive his villains, implying that he's not used to such bizarre and dangerous conflicts up to CR. It doesn't then make much sense to believe that he'd had adventures as a kid too that acquainted him with danger and other elements.