Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    Too damn right, @00Agent. Now, the third on my list is Hammerhead after those two.

Same here, Hammerhead and after that probably Solstice and Kill Chain.
    Precisely! Preferably Solstice first, then Kill Chain.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    VARGR was Ellis' take on Risico. But, he got Bond all wrong. Well... at least the character wasn't anything like we've seen him before.

He took the fantasy and romanticism out of Bond. He made him hyper realistic, like Dalton on steroids, so he ended up with an narcissistic and violent D***head who was barely likeable.

On an intellectual Level i can appreciate the Experiment of it all, and I enjoyed both his stories on Release. But i will never enjoy that type of Bond over the Fantasy-idol version from Hammerhead and Solstice

Ouch! I have to disagree on Bond in VARGR. While I am a few issues behind you lot, I have liked all of what i have read from Dynamite (though Black Box was sometimes garish looking), in different ways. But my favourite illustrated Bond is still Serpent's Tooth.
    No doubt, @MajorDSmythe! Serpent's Tooth is the god of all the Bond comics out there. Both story-wise and illustration-wise. Yes, I don't mind the damn dinosaurs! Haha! :))

The Dinos are a too far out to try in the films, but I think that is the advantage of the comics. It's the way Bond is drawn that I like most, lean, tough looking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    VARGR was Ellis' take on Risico. But, he got Bond all wrong. Well... at least the character wasn't anything like we've seen him before.

He took the fantasy and romanticism out of Bond. He made him hyper realistic, like Dalton on steroids, so he ended up with an narcissistic and violent D***head who was barely likeable.

On an intellectual Level i can appreciate the Experiment of it all, and I enjoyed both his stories on Release. But i will never enjoy that type of Bond over the Fantasy-idol version from Hammerhead and Solstice

Ouch! I have to disagree on Bond in VARGR. While I am a few issues behind you lot, I have liked all of what i have read from Dynamite (though Black Box was sometimes garish looking), in different ways. But my favourite illustrated Bond is still Serpent's Tooth.
    No doubt, @MajorDSmythe! Serpent's Tooth is the god of all the Bond comics out there. Both story-wise and illustration-wise. Yes, I don't mind the damn dinosaurs! Haha! :))

The Dinos are a too far out to try in the films

They would be right at home in DAD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Serpent's Tooth is a great book. I always picture it as Dalton's third Bond.
    The persona is far from being Dalton's, though. It kind of foreshadowed Brosnan's Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I see him as being somewhere between the two. More outwardly charming, but tough at the same time.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    The persona is far from being Dalton's, though. It kind of foreshadowed Brosnan's Bond.

Dalton would not have fit in Serpents Tooth at all. I think he would've gotten into cardiac arrest just from reading the script. It's definitly closer to Brosnan, but kind of it's own thing.
    Precisely!
    Dalton never got one of those Bond scripts to play around with. I give him more credit to be honest. "Go ahead, Tim, make your Bond something between the one you played in LTK and your role in Flash Gordon." That's how I see him in Serpent's Tooth. ;-)
    I believe Dalton could have lightened up his Bond, but Serpent's Tooth... I just couldn't see any Bond being able to pull it off.
    He was the best Prince Barin at least.
    1082580-2up2.jpg
    hmm now you made me curious @DarthDimi . I'll give Flash Gordon another watch.
    But until convinced otherwise, i don't think Dalton could have pulled off that kind of cool suave humor. It's not just about lighting up, you either have it or you don't.
    hmm now you made me curious @DarthDimi . I'll give Flash Gordon another watch.
    But until convinced otherwise, i don't think Dalton could have pulled off that kind of cool suave humor. It's not just about lighting up, you either have it or you don't.

Well, Dalton lit up a lot in his films, so I think he had that side of Bond already covered. If Serpent's Tooth were a film, it would be Brosnan's 6th Bond film, if his films continued to get more and more absurd.
    True. I'm one of the biggest Dalton supporters on the forum, but I concede that his "funny" lines were spat out almost with contempt for the writers and the audiences wanting it. Still, I bet that's Dalton, the actor, giving his own interpretation of the Fleming Bond and grated the artistic freedom to do that as an antithesis to the irreplaceable Roger Moore years.

Dalton is classically charming, always pursuing a dramatic angle, working from the heart and soul of his character and seeking, as he himself has put it, contradiction, not pastiche. I will always profoundly admire him for that.

He's also a skilled enough actor, in my opinion, to do what must be done, and a few different inflections or extra eyebrow movements, could go a long way. I don't particularly think of Serpent's Tooth as "all fun and no seriousness" either. It has a couple of tense and dramatic moments, and Dalton, I'm sure, could rock in those.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    That's true. Even though I love and enjoy DAD, it was time Bond toned down his fantasy island a little. I would've loved to see Permission To Die being Brosnan's 5th. It's From Russia with Love and Goldfinger merged into one.

For Dalton's third, I would've wanted The Quasimodo Gambit. That's definitely on par with his style of Bond storytelling. And besides, have it been made in the early nineties when Die Hard was still a strongly ongoing franchise, it would've made tons of dozen millions. Perhaps Renny Harlin would've even directed it!
    Who do you see as Bond in the Jim Lawrence/Yaroslav Horak "continuation" comics? Definitely George Lazenby for me.
    Yaroslav Horak's Bond is definitely Lazenby.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I can just see it now. ;)
    sFjpS2rl.jpg
    Awesome Cover!
    And as a sexist, misogynist dinosaur he would feel right at home :D
    Captain Murdock Rides Again! :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We aim to please. ;)
    I approve of Salma Hayek as a Bond Girl.
    I approve of Salma Hayek as a Bond Girl.

Would that make "After The Sunset" a sequel? ;-)
    I guess From Dusk Till Dawn is the closest we'll ever get to a Tarantino Bond film. ;-)

CvLIyAaW8AA76Rl.jpg

Imagine what would come after "My name is Pussy," with Cheech Marin doing the talking. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I guess From Dusk Till Dawn is the closest we'll ever get to a Tarantino Bond film. ;-)

CvLIyAaW8AA76Rl.jpg

Imagine what would come after "My name is Pussy," with Cheech Marin doing the talking. ;-)

2035_-_autoplay_gif_gif_vince_mcmahon_wwf.gif
    More like this...

26BkMupzpQUkfhovS.gif
    Or this
    2d82efbec6a08a2c0bf9ab56f739bd2d.gif
    You just made me want to get down to watching some old Tex Avery cartoons! Congratulations! :))
    How did we get here in less than 5 posts? :D :D
    Life is stranger than fiction, after all. :D