Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Damn right! :D

Proving more than a simple tide over between films though.

Ellis has written a Bond to date that stands up quite nicely on his own.

Very much so. Maybe we are witnessing history in the making. Bond becoming established in the comic book world, this time for good. Who knows, maybe this will be considered a 'legendary' Run in ten years from now, only time will tell. There is very little to compete against when it comes to Bond comics.
    +1
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I also agree. My only complaint is that I feel the six issue run tends to limit the storytelling. Ellis did a wonderful job however.

It might expand with the up and coming story arcs, if the selling numbers are successfully achieved the predictable.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,185
    To me a six issue arc is the equivalent to a 2 hour Movie which i think is perfect for Bond. If you go beyond that you need an exceptional story with deep characterizations, and sure this series will need deeper characterizations at some point to become trully great, but you can only do that every couple of stories (or in this case years) especially with Bond.
    I read Comics for 10 years now and i'm pretty much used to six issue arcs. From 7 upwards they tend to get very slow in pace if its one continuous story, and Bond is not the character where you can have deep philosophical discussions for pages upon pages.
    If they switch writers to keep it fresh, someone might come up with something good enough
    Although, VARGR was hardly a pacing for a 2 hour Bond movie. It would've been 45 minutes long at best.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,185
    That is correct, but it is simply the nature of the two media types.
    Comics and Movies are very different. Comics by nature move a lot quicker. if you adapt a 2 hour movie into a comic, like some of the older Bond movies for example, you turn up with 3 issue arcs at most. In most cases it's actually just a 1 issue adaptions of a 2 hour movie.

The best example for this is Sin City. The stories from the original comic books seemed to have the perfect lenght of a movie (6 issue arcs each, if i remember correctly), but translated 1:1 into a movie they are roughly 40 minutes. Thats why they had to combine 3 stories to make a feature film.

Comics move quicker, i can't explain 100% why that is but it's just a different type of storytelling
    Only in my opinion a panel/page if you expand in your head is roughly a half a minute to a minute depending on content.

The page of a script is calculated in practice as a minute.

There was no fluff in Vargr ...every panel tended to move the story alone. However those fluff moments mainly in cinematic form give the audience a chance to breathe and take in what they are watching.

The beach scenes in GE is a good example of that.
    The Beach scene in GE is trully a great moment and very underrated.
    It gave you a deeper glimpse at both characters and made you care more for them.
    i do hope we get some of that in the comics. Speaking of which, i am very curious about the Bond girl that is supposed to be introduced in Eidolon.
    Something like the beach scene in GE has been featured in The Quasimodo Gambit when Bond and Nebula Valentine (the Bond Girl) romance one another in the waterfalls. Wonderful artwork in these panels.
    Something like the beach scene in GE has been featured in The Quasimodo Gambit when Bond and Nebula Valentine (the Bond Girl) romance one another in the waterfalls. Wonderful artwork in these panels.

True ...forgot about that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They there, folks. Have any of you seen the reviews our own Bond superfan Calvin Dyson has done for some of the VARGR issues?

Here's the ones he's made thus far, covering issues 1 to 3.

Thought you'd all enjoy hearing his thoughts.
    I was going to look for it once he had completed the whole arc, Brady. By the way, are you waiting for the collected edition (aka Volume 1) to come out? or have you read the first six issues?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, I'll be ordering the trade paperback, though I don't know when it will release to US buyers.
    @ClarkDevlin, I'll be ordering the trade paperback, though I don't know when it will release to US buyers.
    It's available for pre-order. It was a pleasant ride, I tell you! :D
    They there, folks. Have any of you seen the reviews our own Bond superfan Calvin Dyson has done for some of the VARGR issues?

Here's the ones he's made thus far, covering issues 1 to 3.

Thought you'd all enjoy hearing his thoughts.

Thank you. I always enjoy his reviews and lists. Anxious to hear what he thinks of the complete first Vargr arc.

And grrr @ClarkDevlin ...I haven't seen any Eidolon previews online yet. X(
    @mcdonbb, Patience, old chap. Patience. ;)
    :-\" ...ok I'll try to think on something else. *sigh*

edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    :-\" ...ok I'll try to think on something else. *sigh*

@mcdonbb, don't pick Bond 25! It will only compound your waiting pains.
    15 June 2016, fellas! :D

James Bond - Volume 1: VARGR comes out in its complete form.

And Eidolon's first issue makes its debut as James Bond #7.

Only six days. Less than a week.
    looks like the complete VARGR volume 1 hardcover was postponed to July 7... at least thats what amazon is saying :(
    I knew that was going to happen... That means Eidolon will be delayed, too.
    on comixology the digital release date is currently 22 june -.-
    at least it's not that far away
    Not bad it's ok ...no panic. I think I need to show my support and order my hardcopy. Was going to buy off shelf.
    22... That's a relief... I guess... ComiXology's dates are never wrong.
    Yea, Dynamite has listed in stock for #7 which I guess is "Dyna-speak" for shipping soon. Soon meaning this month.

AGAIN, far better than two years later or not at all as some in the past.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, Bond comics don't exactly have the best histories of seeing completion. It's quite nice to see a continuing 007 comic series that looks to be striving for massive longevity, with a series of interconnected stories delivering us Fleming's Bond in the medium at quite a regular rate. I'll do anything I can to support such an enterprise, in the hopes that it continues for the foreseeable future.
    Brady, have you ever read the previous Bond comics? I think you will find Serpent's Tooth really amazing, especially due to its artwork.
    Brady, have you ever read the previous Bond comics? I think you will find Serpent's Tooth really amazing, especially due to its artwork.

I haven't, but the interest is there. Fleming's books have been so heavily on my mind, and I think I'll use some time to get back into them again, to supplement the comic reading. It's just hard for me to focus on one narrow task like that these days, when so much else is on my mind. We'll see.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423

I haven't, but the interest is there. Fleming's books have been so heavily on my mind, and I think I'll use some time to get back into them again, to supplement the comic reading. It's just hard for me to focus on one narrow task like that these days, when so much else is on my mind. We'll see.
    I know the feeling.

@doubleoego, just to keep you updated, James Bond Vol. 1 will be coming out on 22nd of the month.

I know the feeling.

@doubleoego, just to keep you updated, James Bond Vol. 1 will be coming out on 22nd of the month.

Of June?