Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

What a load of tripe....you seriously think Dalton was better and darker in LTK than Craig in QOS ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Moore in TMWTGG is a better dark Bond than Craig in QoS.
    Moore in TMWTGG is a better dark Bond than Craig in QoS.

No he's not ,come on @Mendes4Lyfe....

Just the shower scene alone is darker and more Fleming than anything in QoS, if you ask me.
    To be fair Dalton does throw a punch during the bar fight in LTK.

I do agree though that Craig does seem more violent and "darker".

I think Craig strangling what's-his-name in the stairwell and letting Slade bleed out before he dies are probably the most brutal we've seen Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Craig was dark in QOS, it's a pity then, that he was playing Bourne rather than Bond. Is he a darker Bourne than Damon, that is the question.
    Just the shower scene alone is darker and more Fleming than anything in QoS, if you ask me.

I'm not an expert on the novels but I don't remember Fleming's Bond ever actually hitting a woman in the books.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I'm not an expert on the novels but I don't remember Fleming's Bond ever actually hitting a woman in the books.

But he got smacked himself.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Craig was dark in QOS, it's a pity then, that he was playing Bourne rather than Bond. Is he a darker Bourne than Damon, that is the question.
    Don't open that can of worms.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That was a can of Graboids...

Z0zgFnQ.gif

... I opened it, they came.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, no worries, Kevin Bacon's half-mullet will save the day.
    Graboids on the loose, you can always depend on one man.

tumblr_o7wqbqfhml1u8wbhro1_500.jpg

You were expecting somebody else?
    That's the guy with all the guns!
    I love the Daltonites,all they can do to try to attack Craig fans is use the old 'Bourne' card....there is no comparison between Dalton and Craig....Dalton couldnt hack it...you can tell by the way his accent changed from TLD to LTK ...why ?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    What is up with all the Dalton bashing suddenly? I thought he was appreciated around here.

For me Tim is the one and only incarnation of Fleming's 007.

Exactly! Almost feels like we've stepped back to 1997 when Dalton bashing was the norm because Pierce was the series' savior. I love all the Bonds really. Sadly I feel Danny may get the bashing treatment when he turns in his PPK.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    What is up with all the Dalton bashing suddenly? I thought he was appreciated around here.

Exactly! Almost feels like we've stepped back to 1997 when Dalton bashing was the norm because Pierce was the series' savior. I love all the Bonds really. Sadly I feel Danny may get the bashing treatment when he turns in his PPK.

Personally i think Dalton gets an over-rated appreciation here....whilst Brosnan gets bitch-slapped all over the place...unfairly.

barryt007 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Personally i think Dalton gets an over-rated appreciation here....whilst Brosnan gets bitch-slapped all over the place...unfairly.

Pierce does take a lot of crap. I like them both but for different nostalgic reasons. Depends on my mood. If I'm in the mood for a Connery Bond, Tim or Pierce won't cut it.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I love the Daltonites,all they can do to try to attack Craig fans is use the old 'Bourne' card....there is no comparison between Dalton and Craig....Dalton couldnt hack it...you can tell by the way his accent changed from TLD to LTK ...why ?

Who is attacking Craig fans (as I was the one who mentioned Bourne, so i'll take this as aimed at me) I didn't mention Craig fans in my post.
    And how is it any different to taking any opportunity to attack Dalton with the "not charming" or calling him a wet fart (that's more creative than the usual insult) card, or Maryam D'Abo(/Kara) with any card.
    And I feel that Craig is insanely overrated, also.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339

Who is attacking Craig fans (as I was the one who mentioned Bourne, so i'll take this as aimed at me) I didn't mention Craig fans in my post.
    And how is it any different to taking any opportunity to attack Dalton with the "not charming" or calling him a wet fart (that's more creative than the usual insult) card, or Maryam D'Abo(/Kara) with any card.

Yep,thats about right.
    And i was reinforcing what @QuantumOrganisation said...so no,it wasnt personally at you.But that's your option to think that Major.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In fact, though it's become an oft repeated thing about the darkness being an issue, I don't remember one person bringing that up at the time.

And ,considering he was the darkest Bond...he didnt throw one punch in 2 films.More of a wet fart Bond to me ....If you want a dark Bond,please see DC in QOS for the perfect dark Bond.

He punches out a guard at the end of TLD and punches out a thug in the barfight in QOS.Hes also the first and only Bond to date who ups the badassery to head butts...in both his films!

Craig in QOS is not dark Bond,its dark Bourne.

But Bourne was originally modelled on Bond though right?
    Same initials, government-trained weapons etc.

The main difference is that Bond is more sophisticated.

Thats the thing though isnt it? Craigs Bond is anything but sophisticated.

AstonLotus wrote: »

But both are essentially "blunt instruments".
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Of course he is sophisticated ,have you not seen them ??..and Dalton WAS sophisticated ? he was a nervous wreck that i found damn hard to watch...

• edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I think Craig-Bond has that indulgent quality that Bond always had. Ok he doesn't smoke, but you could see him drinking until 4 in the morning at some fancy hotel and taking a shine to the pretty waitress.

Maybe indulgent was a better word rather than sophisticated.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Craig: "Room service ?....a bottle of champagne.....no,for one".....screams Fleming's Bond.
    Dalton: "Better make thatttttttttttttt two".....oh please.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    "Room service ?....a bottle of champagne.....no,for one".....screams Fleming's Bond.

Great moment.

I'm going to be criticised for this but I wonder whether Dalton's Bond occasionally felt too "nice". Lacked that authentically rough streak the character needed. Craig managed to get it.

Bond might have influenced Ludlum (I haven't read the books, so I can't say for certain), but it can't be a coincidence that of all the combinations of initials, Ludlum chooses 'J' and 'B'. But Craig's Bond is in turn greatly influenced by the Bourne films, even down to the editing style of QOS.