Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,314
    After 12 years of having the same old guy as Bond, anyone would feel like a breath of fresh air. Especially when said actor went out on such a low note and you might not have been that fond of him in the first place. As much as I have enjoyed Craig in the role, it does feel like it's time for some fresh blood.

I can remember the anticipation surrounding the release of TLD. Moore had been Bond for my entire life at that point and there was certainly a buzz in the air over finally having a new actor in the role. I just don't remember too many people being excited after they saw the movie.

To be fair, Dalton has always had a very passionate fanbase, even back then. Although they were very much in the minority in those days. At least here in the U.S. I can remember one kid in particular who we thought of as a real oddball because he believed that Dalton was the best Bond. Perhaps he was ahead of his time, or maybe guys like that brainwashed their kids so now we have a whole generation believing it! I'm kidding, of course. I understand now that he had many more fans overseas.

I suppose this all sounds like an anti-Dalton tirade, but that's not the case. I very much appreciate what he did in TLD. He's a good actor and I'm glad that he got his chance to be Bond. Ultimately, I just think that the role of Bond was too big for him. He just didn't have what it takes to be the face of a major franchise and to keep people coming back to the cinema to see him. Anyway, that's just my controversial opinion.
  • GBFGBF
    Well, is it of any importance what the majority thought at the time the films were made? For me, this is completely uninteresting. I think Dalton is good in the role, I only mind that he is overacting a little bit in LTK. It might be that he is not as good in the lighthearted scenes but I have the same problems with Craig in that respect. For me he is certainly the most credible in the action scenes but I don't find him to have much class or wit. I can also hardly imagine him to be a womanizer. He is also hardly ever using his brain but relies on his physical strength in order to succeed in his mission. He is certainly the perfect choice to play a random special agent, however, I personally don't like him as James Bond as much as I like the other actors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Dalton s worst acting in LTK is probably that laughter he puts on during his meeting with Sanchez.

"More of a problem eliminator. Hah hah heh heh!
    Dalton s worst acting in LTK is probably that laughter he puts on during his meeting with Sanchez.

I get what you mean about Dalton's unnatural laugh (during the wedding, in the hotel room with Pam "we're south of the boarder"). But I think in that case the awkward laughter works. He's laughing more to humour Sanchz rather than because it's funny.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Dalton is misunderstood. That laughter never meant to be natural. People just don't get it...sheesh :))

Actually I am glad that Daltonites seem to be a rather small-ish group of fan(atic)s.

Not everyone can have Connery as No 1. How boring would that be.

And I find it as ridiculous to claim Craig is anything like or close to Connery as saying Dalton is the best Bond (objectively speaking). That always will be Connery.
    The problem is Dalton does that laugh SEVERAL TIMES in the film.
    Dalton gets criticised for his theatre acting. Well he is coming from the theatre.
    Patrick Stewart is like Dalton. At first he got laughed at during the first two seasons of The Next Generation. Many people thought Riker should be the Captain.

Now look how that turned out in the end. If Dalton had gotten a chance for another two or even three films, he would now stand in one row to Connery and Moore that I am certain of.
    People who think Dalton is being bashed now must not have been around during the first half of the Brosnan era. Dalton fans had then no leg to stand on.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Still doesn't justify all the hatred. The same way as Pierce doesn't deserve the major bashing he received when CR became a success.

The previous actor always gets a bad rap. I hope for Craig that he will be spared but I doubt it. I'm not his biggest fan, though I will point out he was quite good in his first two outings.
    I said this long ago and it will happen.

Craig will step into Brosnan's shoes. Ten years from now people in general will not have a more favourable opinion of Craig than they have of Brosnan.

Like @GoldenGun says. The previous actor always gets a bad rap.

There are already striking similarities between the two eras Brosnan and Craig.
    In the late 20s the 00's to mid 10's films will be seen as dated as now the Brosnan films are seen.

Also in 10 years circa, CR will remain the only Craig film that is regarded as one of the best in the series. Another similarity to Brosnan who will always be up there with the other actors as GE is an eternal classic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883

That bit always gets a laugh out of me (and all of those on screen too). I agree with the opinion that the uncomfortable overacting was intentional.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Still doesn't justify all the hatred. The same way as Pierce doesn't deserve the major bashing he received when CR became a success.

The previous actor always gets a bad rap. I hope for Craig that he will be spared but I doubt it. I'm not his biggest fan, though I will point out he was quite good in his first two outings.

I don't see the hatred. If anything Dalton is far more respected now than during his tenure. Brosnan is right now the most criticized Bond actor.
    Considering the "discussions" the likes of Dalton, Brosnan, Craig, Lazenby and even Moore sometimes create let me throw this into the thread...

I guess here this will be very controversial...

SEAN CONNERY, GEORGE LAZENBY, ROGER MOORE, TIMOTHY DALTON, PIERCE BROSNAN and DANIEL CRAIG all have done a wonderful job portraying the cinematic James Bond as we know him. No matter if only one or seven performances. Each and every one has brought that special something to his interpretation of the role.
    Not one Bond film has failed its audience.
    And that's an incredible achievement, considering Bond films have been made in 6 different decades.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Considering the "discussions" the likes of Dalton, Brosnan, Craig, Lazenby and even Moore sometimes create let me throw this into the thread...

I guess here this will be very controversial...

SEAN CONNERY, GEORGE LAZENBY, ROGER MOORE, TIMOTHY DALTON, PIERCE BROSNAN and DANIEL CRAIG all have done a wonderful job portraying the cinematic James Bond as we know him. No matter if only one or seven performances. Each and every one has brought that special something to his interpretation of the role.
    Not one Bond film has failed its audience.
    And that's an incredible achievement, considering Bond films have been made in 6 different decades.

I agree with this, I have my favourites but I don't dislike any of them.

Same goes for the films, even my least favourite entries are still acceptable movies.
    I love all six Bonds as well. In my controversial opinion, James Bond in the Eon series has NEVER been miscast.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love all six Bonds as well. In my controversial opinion, James Bond in the Eon series has NEVER been miscast.
    I share the very same controversial opinion.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I share the very same controversial opinion.

As do I! There may be more of us than we thought!
    I have seen several posters here who can t stand either Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig.

Connery is the one exception. Think I have only seen one or two here who ever lambasted him, and that was quite some time ago.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have seen several posters here who can t stand either Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig.

Connery is the one exception. Think I have only seen one or two here who ever lambasted him, and that was quite some time ago.

Yea, we had them killed
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894

DAF provides more than enough reasons to rake even Connery across the coals. As well as a certain unofficial Bond film from 1983.
    Connery responding to his critics:
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If that is how he addresses them, then he doesn't need critics, he'll dig himself a deeper hole. I don't remember that film being so shi*ty. On saying that, it's been a few years since I watched it.
    Yeah its rather bad. Dare I say it could be my least favourite Bond film despite some good things.
    OMG =))

I love the Avengers (the original series) which I got on Blu-ray (Diana Rigg and fabulous Linda Thorson).

But that movie really is silly. I do love Fiennes young firm behind though :P
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I do also remember Steed and Mrs Peel walking on water (in those Zorb things).
    edited January 2017 Posts: 45,489

BAIN123 wrote: »
    Connery responding to his critics:

Reminds me of Return of the Jedi
    Controversial opinion: Roger Moore looked his best in OCTOPUSSY. Though not quite as lean as in FYEO, there seems to be some weight behind those punches. Here, he does look as though he could realy knock one onto their arse.
    His face lost the boyish look from LAD thru MR and he has a masculinity that gives his toughest appearance in the series.
    The only thing that annoys me about Rog in OP is his hair.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @ToTheRight, I've always thought that he looked his absolute suave best in TMWTGG personally, but I see what you mean about him in OP.

The weight definitely helps. Sometimes I think he looks younger in OP than in FYEO but on other occasions I can tell he's actually a couple of years older. It's only in AVTAK where it really shows, and that's also on account of the weight loss imho.
    I thought he looked best in TSWLM...Sir Roger appeals to us all it seems hahaha !