Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tinker wrote: »
    Nor is it mine dear laddie. Let's move the discussion along. Who hear proposes a toast for Spectre who's with me. Maybe we would all sign a card to the producers and mail it

As I recall there's a load of people on here who actually did this for the 50th so can we really be sure @Tinker is a troll?
    Tinker wrote: »
    Nor is it mine dear laddie. Let's move the discussion along. Who hear proposes a toast for Spectre who's with me. Maybe we would all sign a card to the producers and mail it

As I recall there's a load of people on here who actually did this for the 50th so can we really be sure @Tinker is a troll?

To be fair to him no one goes by their real names on this forum or others. Why is that? Why do people on forums not just call themselves by their real name?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    We took @Tinker downstairs, and we.... corrected him.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Christatos up to old broken English tricks again. Blofeld should lobotomize him. =))
  • RC7RC7

The best use of a film reference I can remember on here.
    RC7 wrote: »

Is it wrong that I'm not getting the reference? My brain is slow at this time of night :)
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Is it wrong that I'm not getting the reference? My brain is slow at this time of night :)

It's very wrong. All work and no play makes @tanaka123 a tired boy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yes it turns out that @Tinker and @007spyreporter are bad boys. Indeed he is, Mr. @RC7. A very willful boy. A rather naughty boy, if I may be so bold, sir.
    And as the Major mentioned they were...corrected.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote: »
    Yes it turns out that @Tinker and @007spyreporter are bad boys. Indeed he is, Mr. @RC7. A very willful boy. A rather naughty boy, if I may be so bold, sir.
    And as the Major mentioned they were...corrected.

Well done! =D>
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It's very wrong. All work and no play makes @tanaka123 a tired boy.

You see now all I'm getting is The Shining :)
  • RC7 wrote: »
    New Year. New Trolls.

Old site. New trolls.
    I love the movie MR. Pretty much every Bond fan I've met ranks this among the worst in the series and I disagree very strongly. I have a ton of fun watching this flick and consider it one of the best of the many Bond films that fall into the category of really not following the books at all. I couldn't give you 10 Bond films in the entire official franchise of 24 films that I would say follow Fleming's novels closely so to compile even a top 10 list I think you have to abandon a purist stance. Some call it mindless. That's a cheap shot one could take at any Bond film that wants to be enjoyed on the basis of anything but gritty realism. Here in MR we have Bond as a superhero dawning a tux rather than a cape as he dodges bullets, knives, & a steel-toothed giant as he fights with fists and even swords to stay one step ahead of Hugo Drax's assassins just long enough to uncover the clues that will lead him to what Drax is up to. The action set pieces, locales, John Barry score, & Ken Adams' set are fantastic and Roger pulls an impressive array of gadgets out of his backside. This is the 70s and here these films are about pure escapist fun--not realism. If you don't like that sort of thing, my advice is to skip the 70s Bond films. The franchise has plenty of movies to choose from. Unfortunately MR always seems to get shunned for being "the space Bond". Bond doesn't go to space until the last 30 min or so of the film so that is really a pretty big overreaction. I don't need a film to be perfect to enjoy it. MR is a ton of fun and I LOVE it! So there.

Favorite line: Q: "I think he's attempting re-entry, sir".

"What's the good of other people's opinions? Animals don't consult each other about other animals. They look and sniff and feel. In love and hate, and everything in between, those are the only tests that matter." --Ian Fleming (Thunderball)
    For me, SP was like a huge kick in the behind and made me fully excited in the franchise again after 3 years without a new installment. As soon as the end credits rolled, the only thing I wanted to do was either 1) buy another ticket for SP to watch it again straight away, or 2) stay up all night and watch as many Bond films as I can before passing out on the floor.

@DaltonCraig007 I thoroughly enjoyed SP as well and it's great to see it get some love.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SJK91, you said this a month ago, but I hadn't checked the thread in a while so it took me to your January 7th post; but yes, this happens to everyone at some point, it seems. I had a little Bond fatigue after anticipating SF for four years and being sorely disappointed in it. After that, I wasn't particularly eager to dive back into the world of Bond for a while.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    DIE ANOTHER DAY

People are prejudiced. If there had never been that CGI sequence, DAD would never be considered to be the worst Bond movie by general consensus.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Awful punning.
    Zao.

And my personal fave "psychedelic light mask!"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Jinx.

Ok, that's true. Only in Catwoman has she been more awful.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Invisible car.
    Robocop suit with force lightning.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Madonna
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 12,837
    My issue with Die Another Day is that it's actually salvageable. So much of the bad stuff that bogged the film down is completely unnecessary. A fan could save it through editing.

I think the parasailing is the best example of this. Lets look at how the scene plays out: Bond runs away. Bond escapes. Bond surfs a tsunami. Bond goes back to the ice palace, only to run away again (this time in the Vanquish). All the tsunami sequence does is establish how dangerous Icarus is, which is something that was fairly obvious already and something that they show pretty well in the final act.

Same with the theme song (just play a different song over the title sequence, which is one of the best in the series), the CGI bullet (just stick one of the other Brosnan gunbarrels at the start), the Madonna cameo (cut it out) etc. Seriously I'd love to watch a good fan edit of DAD. I'd actually like to own it, could get it on a disc and then throw away the official version.

If a fan edited Die Another Day then what you'd be left with is a flawed but fun Bond film, which despite some bits of dodgy dialogue (again the worst lines could probably be edited out) and a very OTT plot, with a severely misjudged finale (I can't see a way to get rid of the robo suit unfortunately), still has a great sense of fun and energy to it (I'd argue it's one of the best paced Bond movies), some good action scenes, a handful of good lines and a great performance from Pierce Brosnan. All in all, despite the obvious wasted potential with the underuse of the interesting set up, it'd be a fun but flawed homage to the Moore films. Sort of a misjudged attempt at bringing 70s Bond to the real world. Still not amazing by any means but a lot better than the horrific version we have now.

Basically a fan could edit Die Another Day from worst Bond film ever to a "not very good but it was fun to watch" Bond film. Around the same tier as the weaker of the 70s entries (apart from TMWTGG. I think an edited DAD would actually be a million times better than that film).

I might just do such a fan version.

@thelivingroyale

DAD could be improved with little effort as you explained so well.

I don't agree on Madonna's appearance in the film. I like her in that role. In fact the fencing sequence (including Madonna) is probably the high point of the movie.

The robosuit never bothered me, it fits the tone of the movie perfectly: OTT, high tech stuff, megalomaniac villain.
    But I can see that most would think that they overdid it there.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,595
    I like Zao. I hate Jinx. But I like seeing Halle Berry in a bikini.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I still don't get the Madonna hate. There's been worse characters, main characters even, and she gets not even 2 minutes of screentime. Is it because she's a singer and she's not allowed to make an appearance in movies?

There's a lot more wrong with DAD than the parasailing sequence, but that gets singled out because it's the prime example. However, as said above, the movie is salvagable and quite entertaining for the most part.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    First half of DAD is very good, it falls down some what in the second half, but I don't
    Hate it ( I can't hate any Bond film ) but I dislike Jinx as a character. Her dialogue is
    Terrible. Why she couldn't have been a more elegant, sophisticated woman, I don't
    know, I'm guessing they wanted her to be more streetwise ..... but it simply didn't
    work.
    I hardly ever even notice Madonna, a minor role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm confused. I thought this thread was about controversial opinions? Not liking Madonna or DAD is not really controversial imho. I thought that was more the normal view. If someone said they liked it, then that would be controversial, although there is more love for the film these days than in the past it seems.

I actually enjoy watching it every time I put it in the blu ray player. As has been said, everything up to the Ice Palace is top notch (except Bond walking into the Hong Kong hotel in his pyjamas), including that sword fight. Superb stuff.
    DIE ANOTHER DAY

People are prejudiced. If there had never been that CGI sequence, DAD would never be considered to be the worst Bond movie by general consensus.

@bondjames

My original post, that started it :)
    The character of Bond Fleming ripped of Leslie Charteris. As he's basically
    just the saint ! ( That should be controversial ) :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The character of Bond Fleming ripped of Leslie Charteris. As he's basically
    just the saint ! ( That should be controversial ) :D
    For a while, many said that was indeed true, including my dad (who preferred Connery and wasn't a fan of Moore in the role of Bond, although he didn't dislike him - who could?).
    st.jpg
    Dalton's third Bond film, if filmed with Whoopie Goldberg and fighting robots. Would
    Have been a huge hit and would have made the Producers a fortune from merchandising. ?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Personally, I think the easiest way to eliminate the dragster/parasail scene is to go from Bond escaping the bio domes straight to the car chase. Then Icarus could have been tested by Graves trying to kill Bond by shooting it down while Bond and Zao chase each other. Eliminate the plane scene and have the final showdown on the North Korean Base.
    Dalton's third Bond film, if filmed with Whoopie Goldberg and fighting robots. Would
    Have been a huge hit and would have made the Producers a fortune from merchandising. ?

Goldberg was at the high point in her movie career. Star Trek TNG, Ghost.
    Bond 1991 would have been the most successful in Dalton's run.