Pierce Brosnan's Fisticuffs

Comments

I can't count how many times over the years I have been shaking a fist at some of the asinine and silly sound effects in Bond, as we all have

Goldfinger, Connery and Blackman roll around in the barn

Pepper and Moore in somersault car

Moore and Amasova in the van, The Spy Who Loved Me

Connery (again) beating a poor spider to death with a shoe

Moore goes ski-ing in Siberia to California Girls etc, the list is endless maybe
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't have a problem with the hot air balloon meeting a demise and Cigar Girl with it, it's merely Brosnan rolling down the roof to silly sound effects, spoilt an almost perfect Pre Credits Sequence that year

Yeah, him rolling down the roof to those sound effects is quite cheesy, and I wish they had totally cut that out. Maybe he hits the roof and catches that rope a lot sooner, to no sound effects.

Bond never even sent her off with a quip. I laugh thinking of one. As Bond tumbles down the roof he says the best he can "NOWWWW Y-Y-OU'RR-E-E R-EA-L-L-YYYY SM-O-OKING-G-G!..." :))
    I can't count how many times over the years I have been shaking a fist at some of the asinine and silly sound effects in Bond, as we all have

Moore goes ski-ing in Siberia to California Girls etc, the list is endless maybe

Ugh...Don't forget the Tarzan yell.
    His finest fight sequence was by far the GE satellite dish scene with 006. Very convincing. Nothing else in his work anywhere near as good. His worst moment was in TND with Carver's OAP heavies. Dan Craig would have finished them off in far quicker time. Craig, Connery and Lazenby are obviously the toughest Bonds.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the AVTAK California Girls skiing scene. For one, it's pretty epic, and for two, I like the song, even if it is just a cover version!
  • @ 00Beast- I like the PTS in AVTAK a lot, and CG/Beach Boys are classic, but just not together. Another unnecessary sound gag that detracted from the seriousness of the scene for the sake of a laugh.

Bond vs Trevalyan definitely the high point of Brosnan era fisticuffs. I never had a problem with Pierce in that respect.
    i am going to be nice to Brosnan and say the Alec Trevelyan fight in GE was well rehearsed and well coordinated and both actors did it justice.

Thats it. Anyone expecting expecting disparaging remarks from me about Brosnans fighting prowess is going to be disapointed.

For now. :-)) :-))
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I quite liked his scuffle with the thug on the boat at the beginning of GE. Brief but well executed

P.s love how he opens the door at 0.20.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    I wish Brosnan was always that convincing in his films post GE. I mean, let's be honest, Bond and Renard fighting at the end of TWINE only 4 years later looks like two senior citizens tussling for the last square tomato sandwich. It is so utterly unconvincing and Bond groans by a simple elbow and flick of the ear. Brosnan's worst and most unconvincing fight ever in Bond.
    ^
    I wish Brosnan was always that convincing in his films post GE. I mean, let's be honest, Bond and Renard fighting at the end of TWINE only 4 years later looks like two senior citizens tussling for the last square tomato sandwich. It is so utterly unconvincing and Bond groans by a simple elbow and flick of the ear. Brosnan's worst and most unconvincing fight ever in Bond.

I think I'm the only person who actually enjoyed that fight.
    ^

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching train wrecks, but not when they're happening in things I love.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 40,490
    @BAIN123, I love how he opens the door, as well, haha. Nice little groove in his step. As weird as it is, I also love how he opens the door when he goes downstairs; kind of slams it open and immediately aims his gun in. Very cool.

And speaking of the Frigate video, I'm assuming that is supposed to be Ourumov that is posing alongside Xenia as a chopper pilot? Or is it Alec?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @BAIN123, I love how he opens the door, as well, haha. Nice little groove in his step. As weird as it is, I also love how he opens the door when he goes downstairs; kind of slams it open and immediately aims his gun in. Very cool.

And speaking of the Frigate video, I'm assuming that is supposed to be Ourumov that is posing alongside Xenia as a chopper pilot? Or is it Alec?

Great question Crease, I myself have never figured that out either. I've always assumed that it's General Ourumov because immediately after that scene, during the massacre at Severnaya, we see Xenia and Ourumov exit the helicopter, so I guess they immediately flew to Severnaya.
    That's what I always assumed, too. I just wasn't sure if they had landed somewhere, with Alec departing another way and Ourumov taking over. Obvious guess is Ourumov, though.

Speaking of all this GE talk, I haven't seen the film in a few months. I need to watch it as soon as I go home for the summer.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's what I always assumed, too. I just wasn't sure if they had landed somewhere, with Alec departing another way and Ourumov taking over. Obvious guess is Ourumov, though.

Speaking of all this GE talk, I haven't seen the film in a few months. I need to watch it as soon as I go home for the summer.

Oh yes, that is a must! I haven't watched it since late January/early February, so I'm good for right now! Don't want to watch it so much that I spoil the greatness!
    @00Beast, you and I both! The longer time period in-between viewings, the more excited I am to see it.

Brosnan at his best.
    I haven't seen Goldeneye again in a good six months, obviously know this 1995 release back to front and inside out but even so. Brosnan's second best of his tenure for me without question, it's just that it goes a bit downhill for me once they arrive in Cuba, I can't always get excited about the last third and all that goes on
    I haven't seen Goldeneye again in a good six months, obviously know this 1995 release back to front and inside out but even so. Brosnan's second best of his tenure for me without question, it's just that it goes a bit downhill for me once they arrive in Cuba, I can't always get excited about the last third and all that goes on

In your opinion, which is his best, then?

And what is it that you don't care for about the last 1/3 of the film?

I'm not calling you out on anything, I'm just curious, is all.

jaguar007 wrote:
    While I agree the 006 v/s 007 fight is the grittiest of the Brosnan era, I have never been as fond of it as many people are. Mainly because most of the brutality comes from 006, not James Bond. Bond only gets off 1 punch in the fight and a few kicks to 006's face. I wanted to see Bond be able to kick a little ass. Also, right at the start of the fight when 006 comes out of the rafters and kicks 007, Bond's fall looks a bit fake to me.

But that's the point of the fight. Often Bond has the upper hand over the person he is fighting simply because he is 'Bond'. But here we meet two men who have had the same training so they can read each other's every move so they are very evenly matched. Bond is essentially fighting a version of himself. Maybe someone arguably better than him.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I may well be a year or near it for me. I need to see all of Brosnan's films again, as it has been too long.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I may well be a year or near it for me. I need to see all of Brosnan's films again, as it has been too long.
    Me too.
    But... I can't face DAD again... no...
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Me too.

Especially after you just reviewed it, no need to get all masochistic on yourself ;)

chrisisall wrote:
    Me too.

Yeah, that one I won't likely go near again either. I have finals coming up and after writing tons of papers and studying for hours the last thing I need is more pain and suffering.

Come to think of it, DAD is surprisingly the most televised Brosnan film for me, and I have seen it televised more prominently than any of the previous films in the era, even GE! Why would it be aired on TV so much? Yikes...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ^

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching train wrecks, but not when they're happening in things I love.

Apted's inexperience with stuff like that really came to light in that sequence. Felt very flat. Not the worst fight I've ever seen but still quite anti-climatic. The worst of Brosnan's finales.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Me too.
    Especially after you just reviewed it, no need to get all masochistic on yourself ;)
    And I just watched Calvin Dyson's video on the Best Moneypennys and was reminded how they basically raped her character in it... :-O
    chrisisall wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Me too.
    And I just watched Calvin Dyson's video on the Best Moneypennys and was reminded how they basically raped her character in it... :-O

What? Are you mean the virtual scene or something else entirely? Explain, good sir.
    The virtual scene. It robbed her of her mystery regarding her attraction to Bond.
    Too much (and possibly incorrect) information, what?
    ^

Apted's inexperience with stuff like that really came to light in that sequence. Felt very flat. Not the worst fight I've ever seen but still quite anti-climatic. The worst of Brosnan's finales.

I think it has something to do with Robert Carlyle's physique. I think he played Renard well, but as a physical challenge to Bond he was just not believable, especially not as a quasi-invincible fighter.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    As everyone else has mentioned, the fight between Bond and Trevelyan is the only one that feels belivable and actually gritty.
    The fight against Renard is one of the most under-whelming fights in the series, it can be described with Elliot Carvers words:
    "Pathetic"
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ludovico wrote:
    ^

I think it has something to do with Robert Carlyle's physique. I think he played Renard well, but as a physical challenge to Bond he was just not believable, especially not as a quasi-invincible fighter.

That could be a reason too but with Bond's injury and Renard's impervious-ness towards pain I think even semi decent choreography could have dealt with that issue. All they do is grab each other, really.
    MrBond wrote:
    As everyone else has mentioned, the fight between Bond and Trevelyan is the only one that feels belivable and actually gritty.
    The fight against Renard is one of the most under-whelming fights in the series, it can be described with Elliot Carvers words:
    "Pathetic"

I actually think the fight between Bond and Stamper at the end of TND is pretty nifty, even though its rather short. Every time Stamper punches Bond it looks like it genuinely hurts.
  • That was Brosnan's letdown for me was he never convinced in the fight scenes. Great at the suave but lacked that killer touch ( a bit like Moore) but he has his fans.