Pierce Brosnan's Fisticuffs

Comments

• I have nothing to add to this thread. I just like the term 'fisticuffs.'

Carry on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have nothing to add to this thread. I just like the term 'fisticuffs.'

Carry on.

Then there's no need for a spammy post. Carry on.

I still think that Brosnan's best fight was in GE against Alec on the satellite. It's just hard to top. While it involves some use of the fists, another great one (one of the few great moments in DAD) is Bond fighting Graves with the swords. Well shot.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 344
    Really? It was just a light-hearted comment of three teeny-weeny sentences.

Blimey. What a Carry On!

As it happens, I think Brosnan was fine in his fight scenes. From Goldeneye right up to Die Another Day, I think he did a sound job. People might say he seemed a little light-weight but I never really got that impression. He was never half-hearted, and at no point did I ever think that he had lost a step.

P.S. And I really do like the term 'fisticuffs.'

@Jones_The_Bond, quite a few said that he didn't seem like he could handle himself during the GE finale fight scene, but you have to think that he's fighting an equally matched, equally trained man. I feel like they both did their good shares of damage on one another.
  • Exactly @Creasy47. I saw them as two contemporaries, two old comrades who knew each other's strengths and weaknesses so well that they almost cancelled each other out. It's actually one of my favourite fights of the entire series. Like you say, they were equally matched, which made it all the more intriguing.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 40,490
    @Jones_The_Bond, you and I both. The gritty feel to it is rarely matched, competing with Bond and Grant in FRWL and Bond and Slate in QoS. Even looking at Trevelyan, one of the first things that he does when Bond is captured in the finale is check his watch, compare it to his, and disarm the mines that he knows he already planted. They're both on the same level, and they're anticipating one another's move with speed.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    barryt007 wrote:
    Which Bond film do you think Pierce stood out in the fisticuffs department ?

I think it's GE,the fight with 006 of course.
    Honourable mention to the printing press fight with Carver's guards in TND.

Same here. The cradle fight with 006 and then the fight over the printing press in TND. I also like the fight in TND with Carver's security personnel.
    Brosnan throws his whole body into those punches over the printing press in a way that Roger Moore never did. I wouldn't rank him as one of the best physical fighters of the bunch but he definitely doesn't have the weakest punches IMO.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Brosnan's fight with 006 is definitely his best. I don't think any of his fight scenes in TWINE were that great, including the one with Renard because it really didn't play with the "bullet in the head" Renard was hyped up with at the start of the film. In TND, Brosnan beating up Carver's thugs was nice, I don't remember anything else worth noting.

The only good fight scene in DAD is when Brosnan swordfights Gustav Graves.
  • Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh the fight with Renard was awful, and one of the biggest failings of TWINE.

Fight with 006, apart from being just really, really, really good and brutal, holds the distinction for being the last good fight Bond has had with a main villain (not a henchman).

The only ones we've had after were TWINE (very disappointing), DAD (vs. robocop), QOS (vs. a lunatic Greene), and... nothing else.
    Fight with 006, apart from being just really, really, really good and brutal, holds the distinction for being the last good fight Bond has had with a main villain (not a henchman).

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. More of a brawl between Bond and Silva would have been nice.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    To answer the OP's original question: None. PB demonstrated a noticeable lack of punching power, and threw them in a somewhat effeminate manner imho. To quote PB himself (in DAD), he didn't appear to 'put his back into it'.

In fact, I would say that was one of his weakest attributes, in combination with his running technique.

He was best in GE, but that was on account of superb direction and choreography. That fight with 006 is one of the best. He was extremely poor in all the others.
    bondjames wrote: »
    To answer the OP's original question: None. PB demonstrated a noticeable lack of punching power, and threw them in a somewhat effeminate manner imho. To quote PB himself (in DAD), he didn't appear to 'put his back into it'.

In fact, I would say that was one of his weakest attributes, in combination with his running technique.

He was best in GE, but that was on account of superb direction and choreography. That fight with 006 is one of the best. He was extremely poor in all the others.

I think this is partially why Brosnan Bond used more than any other a machine gun. And it also explains the heavier and heavier reliance on gadgets.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Don't forget pain face!

Don't forget pain face!
    I did forget that! That was also a serious negative to nearly all his fights. Inevitably he would be put into some kind of choke hold and deliver this nearly legendary dramatic acting tic of his.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Don't forget pain face!
    I did forget that! That was also a serious negative to nearly all his fights. Inevitably he would be put into some kind of choke hold and deliver this nearly legendary dramatic acting tic of his.

Would be great to be allowed to post a pic as a link just doesn't have the same impact. Still the important thing is not to defraud EON out of any royalties for posting a still from films that are 20 years old so I don't mind using my imagination.

Basically if you just suck on a lemon, stretch your neck and then look in a mirror you'll get a reasonable approximation of PF™.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pierce ran like an Olympic sprinter, and punched like a.... pretty good fighter.
  • Brosnan wasn't the best in fight scenes but he does have two great fights:

Bond vs. 006
    Bond vs. Graves, sword fight

Other than that....?

Bond vs. Renard sucks. But that's mostly staging and execution, not so much Brozzer. He didn't get a lot of fight scenes. There was an emphasis on toys and vehicles in that era.

Bond vs. Zao in the clinic isn't bad for a weird, unusual quick fight.
    I never thought the sword fight in DAD was great. It was overlong, it ended up a comical demolition derby with no true tension. In the end, nothing is at stake.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I never thought the sword fight in DAD was great. It was overlong, it ended up a comical demolition derby with no true tension. In the end, nothing is at stake.
    It was two dedicated maniacs going full tilt on each other. Makes me move in my seat every single time. But then, I'm a big fan of martial & sword fighting...

• Not a bad place to put this. Even though I'm a Brosnan defender, this is still maybe the best video on YouTube.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Bloody hell. He was even making the pain face when Scorupco was on top of him. I certainly wouldn't have done that in that scenario.
  • Absolutely not. One of my favorite Bond girls.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Is it wrong to say that like his last fight with Gustave Graves in die another day ?
    I think he wa very good in that scene
  • Oh, Brosnan was decent in the fight, but for God's sake, he's fighting RoboCop! And those bad special effects...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Brosnan was fine in his fight scenes. I particularly like him slamming the guy's head in the office (whatever it was) room in TND. That was fine; but I enjoyed all of his fight scenes. He did a perfectly good job for all his action shots. No problem.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Not a bad place to put this. Even though I'm a Brosnan defender, this is still maybe the best video on YouTube.

And I see nothing wrong with his acting in about 80% of those shots. The only one that seems off is with Trevelyan on the dish.

The "pain face" thing is really overplayed at this point.

Moore also raised his eyebrow too much. And Craig stares into nothing too much for that matter, as well.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It was two dedicated maniacs going full tilt on each other. Makes me move in my seat every single time. But then, I'm a big fan of martial & sword fighting...

No it was not. it started with a psycho wanting Bond dead it ended up comedic. One of the poorest fight of the franchise imo. I think I'd even take Bambi and Thumper over this one.
  • Count me in as a fan of the sword fight. I never found it comedic.

Lol at the pain face. I think it works on occasion. Don't know why he was doing with Scorupco, unless it's not just pain he uses that face for.

According to imdb, she could have had a much better post Bond career. The only other thing I've seen her in is that crappy Reign of Fire.
  • Errrrm what are you guys talking about, that was the best scene of DAD, only good action scene because there weren't any bad special effects.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Errrrm what are you guys talking about, that was the best scene of DAD, only good action scene because there weren't any bad special effects.

Best action scene for sure. Superbly staged, choreographed and scored. Not too long, not too short.