The thread of Bond lists - LIST 157 - Evaluate the FRWL Opening Titles. (see criteria)

Comments

• edited April 2014 Posts: 4,762
    7. Plot of Diamonds Are Forever- although I am no fan of OHMSS, if they had to make such an abomination of a movie, they could have at least expanded on its storyline and properly followed it up with DAF, similiar to the way it went down with CR and QoS. For new fans of the series who watch the movies in order, they'd be extremely confused by the lack of closure on the events of OHMSS. Again, I'd rather OHMSS not even be in the series, but since it had to be, they might as well have finished it properly with DAF.
    6. The cartoon/camp of Die Another Day- although I enjoy DAD far better than a few other Bond releases, I still think it was a bad idea to make the 40th anniversary a cheesy montage of less-than-subtle throwbacks and a direct copy of an old plot (DAF), though the new take on it with North Korea is actually fairly interesting
    5. Goldfinger- BLAH; the only reason it's #5 on the list is because at least it has the Miami scenes, the Fort Knox finale, and memorable characters, however cheesy Goldfinger himself may be (and excluding Ms. Galore, who I'd very much like to erase from the Bond series for just being plain annoying)
    4. Not making a third Dalton movie for 1991- unless they couldn't produce another one following this in 1993, I'd want Dalton to quit after a 1991 release so that Pierce Brosnan could come in for the splendor of GoldenEye in '95, but man, what was the 6 year gap between LTK and GE all about? We could have used one more Dalton outing, if not two more before GE
    3. Tarzan Yell- always bothered me for the sole reason that it defeats the entire purpose of Bond's need for stealth to avoid Kamal and his thugs; it's like he's asking to be shot!
    2. George Lazenby as 007- easily the worst Bond of all time; not even his impressive fisticuff fighting can save him from the bottom of the bucket
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service- an atrocity of a Bond movie, if it can even be called a Bond movie
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    In chronological order...

1) Casting George Lazenby as Bond. (OHMSS) - Not because I think that he was terrible. On the contrary, I think he showed great potential and it would have been fascinating to see how he could have evolved in the role. However, the guy quit on them after only one film. Cubby recovered and kept the series going (as he always did) but I think he learned that you cannot give such an important and coveted role to someone with hardly any professional acting experience because he won't act like a professional.

2) Ignoring Tracy's death. (DAF) - DAF has many issues (although it can be fun if you watch it in the right frame of mind) but this one has always bothered me the most. Perhaps the PTS is meant to show Bond avenging her but it is never really made clear and, as a result, has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

3) Having J.W. Pepper return. (TMWTGG) - This is just plain nonsense. I realize that some people hated him the first time around but I feel that he at least served a purpose in LALD. He is just thrown into this film with no good reason at all because it's supposed to make us laugh. I guess the joke was on us.

4) Turning Jaws into a buffoon. (MR) - He wasn't exactly a genius in TSWLM but I think that they got the balance of his character just right and it happened to suit the film very well. In MR he's just a joke with no real menace to him at all. Then he falls in love.

5) Keeping Roger Moore as Bond. (AVTAK)- Moore actually gives a good performance considering the circumstances but everyone knew that this was one film too many. Even Sir Rog himself. It's made worse by the fact that they don't even attempt to hide the stuntmen anymore. As much as people hate MR or some of the other silly moments in his films I think that this is actually the biggest black mark against him.

6) The happy ending. (LTK)- I suppose the whole film has an uneven tone but I certainly could have lived with it if the ending hadn't been so disappointing. There are far worse examples in other Bond films to pick on for silly, dumb or just strangely out of place moments but LTK wants to be taken very seriously and I just can't because of this.

7) Casting Halle Berry as Jinx (DAD) -DAD has so many things wrong with it that it seems unfair to pick on just her. I'm going to do it anyway. She is, in my opinion of course, the worst Bond girl ever. Honorable mentions for bad casting go to Tanya Roberts and Denise Richards but Berry clearly wins this award.
    QoB - get a better director and wait for the strike to end and get the script in order, and fire the Bourne staff.

CR - the my little finger dialogue, lose it.

OP- Weismuller yell and the tiger, lose them

TND - Monica Bellucci instead of Terry Hatcher

TLD - Q in the field, while a 00 is replacable Q is not

DAF - George Lazenby should have played the part of 007 following up on OHMSS

Not having a back to basis 5th Brosnan movie.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,443
    * No 5th Brosnan movie for 2004 or 2005. In October 2004 it be confirmd Brosnan not comingback, way to long. Because of respect to Fans and Brosnan there should have done prescoference. The way DC be introduced so quike after this news is also a big shame. It not realy get much of the news of CR to me before half 2006 or so, i whas close to missing movie.

* Casting chooses of DAD (Madsen, Madonna, actor who plays Raoul)

* Chacter development of chacters like Jinx, Zoa (I wil not blame Rick Yune for it.) and Raoul. From the moment Halle Barry said not the villian part should have consider another actres. But of course we must keep in mind Fox has to much power with DAD.

* For The Netherlands DAD already be 9 January 2003 movie, but Die Another Day should have been delayd in general to August 2003 or mabey X-men 2 should have been delayd til August and DAD get May 2003 release date of X-men 2.

* Chacter development of Solange and Eve.

* Twice there take another editor, whyle there should have hired Stuard Baid. First not for DAD, whyle Baid correct Wagner for Mi2 where take Iceland introduce from (Admit there made a mistake and there hired him for CR) and then Sony make Stuart Baid unavaible because there hired him for Vantage Point, whyle Vantage Point has simalars with a style looking on QOS and CR.

* The producers take the time and i also not always like that. Skyfall should be released in 2010 and then Bond 24 in 2012.
    7. Jokes or comedy in overall serious films: OP, AVTAK and LTK
    6. Breaking the traditional gun barrel sequence in DAD, QOS and SF
    5. Going away from the Fleming novels in YOLT, DAF and forwards
    4. Not having the third Dalton movie
    3. Destroying the Jaws character in MR
    2. Not making a proper sequel to OHMSS
    1. VR in DAD, specially the thing with Moneypenny
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,894
    1. Timothy Dalton not making 3 more Bonds in the 1990's
    2. Casting Daniel Craig / rebooting the series
    3. The slide whistle during the barrel roll in TMWTGG
    4. Richard Johnson not being cast as Bond in 1962
    5. The CGI freefall in QOS
    6. Jaws in the MR pts, complete with flapping arms
    7. Bond driving a BMW in GE, TND & TWINE
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,548
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17-65: The 5 worst moments in DN - The 5 best moments in SF.
    LIST 66-71: The 5 best things about Connery's Bond.- The 5 best things about Craig's Bond.
    LIST 72: The 5 best non-Bond roles for Sean Connery.
    LIST 73: Name 7 still living directors you want to do a Bond film.
    LIST 74: Five favourite franchises inspired by Bond.
    LIST 75-80: Five things the Moore Bond did that you never would. - Brosnan - Connery - Dalton - Craig - Lazenby
    LIST 81-85: Your 5 favourite one night stands from the 60s. - 2000s including SF.
    LIST 86: Six things NSNA did better than TB.
    LIST 87: Six Bonds that were significantly weaker than their predecessor.
    LIST 88: Six Bonds that were significantly stronger than their predecessor.
    LIST 89: Rank Arnold's Bond scores.
    LIST 90-114: The five most conspicuous characters (not Bond!) of DN-SF: coolest, prettiest, dumbest, funniest, most tragic.
    LIST 115: Rank your six favourite establishing shots.
    LIST 116: Five 'funny' moments you regret are in a Bond film.
    LIST 117: Rank your 6 favourite 007 moments in America.
    LIST 118: Who are the 7 dumbest Bond girls?
    LIST 119: Rank the John Barry scores
    LIST 120: Which six Bond girls have the loveliest face?
    LIST 121: Rank the M's (including NSNA and CR67)
    LIST 122: Your six favourite 'random' gadgets in Q's lab.
    LIST 123: Your six favourite conditions under which to watch a Bond film.
    LIST 124: Six moments when Bond came closest to defeat.
    LIST 125: 5 most amazing stunts ever performed in a Bond film.
    LIST 126: Six characters you wish had never been in a Bond film.
    LIST 127: Six locations from the Bond films that were totally underused.
    LIST 128: Your top 7 of male actors who have passed away but should have been in a Bond film.
    LIST 129: Your top 7 of actresses of 50 or older who should be cast in a Bond film.
    LIST 130: 7 crew members whose (temporary or permanent) absence can/could be felt most.
    LIST 131: Six favourite scenes with animals in the Bond films.
    LIST 132: Seven mistakes they have made in the Bonds.

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 133</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>Six things you do a few hours before watching a new Bond film.</b></font>
    6 - Hardly drink anything. I don't want to go to the bathroom during the movie!

5 - Sleep at least three hours. I can't permit myself even a yawn during the film.

4 - Fuel myself with something high on calories. I don't want to develop a feeling of hunger during the movie.

3 - Read a few posts on this forum but only selectively. No spoilers!

2 - Watch the trailer a few times and listen to the theme song.

1 - Take a relaxing bath and dress well. It must be the best evening of the year.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Clean up
    Have a good meal
    Avoid all spoilers
    Use the rest room, so I don't have to get up during the film
    Buy ticket
    Drool with anticipation

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    6. S***
    5. Shower
    4. Shave
    3. Have a browse on these forums - but no spoilers!
    2. Meet up with my pals.
    1. Have a quick vodka martini in the pub and then...

Bond 24!!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    breathe
    blink
    eat
    defecate
    shower
    buy tickets
    Order tickets
    tell my wife to be on time
    drop the kids at my parents place
    tell my wife to hurry up
    eat
    tell my wife to hurry up
    pay for the tickets
    pray that Bond24 is any good.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2014 Posts: 12,459
    That is funny, SaintMark. :) I'd like to read your wife's list (tell Mark to shut up, tell Mark for the hundreth time I have the bloody tickets ...etc.) ;)

Ok, for me, for this new one, Bond 24 -

1) Eat about 4 big slices pizza and drink some vitamin water (like training for a soccer match; I also eat pasta the night before - it holds me in good stead)
    2) Watch Skyfall
    3) Tell my friends and family not to bother me AT ALL. (Unless an earthquake, of course.)
    4) Take the earlier train to get to the theatre and a Bond novel in my backpack for the journey (I have about a one hour trip by 2 trains, then taxi)
    5) Hum the Monty Norman Bond theme all the way to the theatre while remembering some fav scenes from previous Bond films
    6) Get to the theatre early and nab the best seat possible, not giving it up for anything or anybody (probably not even yakuza or an earthquake if the film is still running).

1. Watch a reduced Bond marathon (Craig's and some of Connery and maybe Dalton)
    2. Ask permission at work if there is an early premiere
    3. Listen to Bond soundtracks and maybe the theme song if it's available online
    4. Eat at a good italian restaurant
    5. Turn off the cellphone
    6. Take a few minutes to think about what I'm going into after all those months of waiting and appreciate what is about to begin
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 7,653
    That is funny, SaintMark. :) I'd like to read your wife's list (tell Mark to shut up, tell Mark for the hundreth time I have the bloody tickets ...etc.) ;)

Actually due to her exceptional timing it took two attempts to make it to the cinema with Skyfall, she is a total dear but being on time just is not in her genetic make-up.

We did miss a screening of the winter soldier last week and had to drive to another cinema where they showed the movie at a later time, we had our daughters with us, or wait for a week.

LIST 66-71: The 5 best things about Connery's Bond.- The 5 best things about Craig's Bond.
    LIST 75-80: Five things the Moore Bond did that you never would. - Brosnan - Connery - Dalton - Craig - Lazenby
    LIST 81-85: Your 5 favourite one night stands from the 60s. - 2000s including SF.
    LIST 90-114: The five most conspicuous characters (not Bond!) of DN-SF: coolest, prettiest, dumbest, funniest, most tragic.
    LIST 128: Your top 7 of male actors who have passed away but should have been in a Bond film.
    LIST 129: Your top 7 of actresses of 50 or older who should be cast in a Bond film.
    LIST 130: 7 crew members whose (temporary or permanent) absence can/could be felt most.
    LIST 133: Six things you do a few hours before watching a new Bond film.

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 134</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>Seven reasons why you are a Bond fan.</b></font>
    7 - The world of Bond has taught me much, too much to sum up here, but I'm indebted anyway.

6 - There's a certain piece of music known as the Bond Theme and I'm addicted to it.

5 - Girls, guns, gadgets and fast cars... what more could a man desire? (Skip the guns; I don't need them. ;-) )

4 - Since I was a boy, I found the world of James Bond a fantastic fantasy through which I can escape reality.

3 - I love Fleming's world, a romanticised spy world but with a couple of edges here and there.

2 - I love the films. Though they may not be the very best films ever, at least not all of them, they are among the most enjoyable films ever and with outstanding technical achievements.

1 - I'm just jealous of a guy like James Bond, despite the tragic personal life.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. GoldenEye. It was the movie that introduced me to James Bond and the sound of the Gunbarrel changed my life forever. It will always be my favorite Gunbarrel music.

2. The uniqueness to each film. Every Bond film is different. It's nice to watch Bond movies and never get the feeling your watching the same movie twice. Sure plots get repeated sometimes but It never feels like that.

3. The music. Every Bond film showcases the talents of many composers. Mainly John Barry who will always be the king of Bond music. It's sad to see he's so underrated by mainstream music listeners he's one of the Three J's who redefined film scoring. John Barry, John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. Sadly all three of them seem to be getting more and more underrated each year.

4. The Bond girls. Need I say more?

5. The supporting characters. Bond has had a lot of Allies thoughout the years. Each one is a colorful individual who is unique in their own way.

6. The games! Oh boy do I love the games. :)

7. This community. Without Bond, I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't get have gotten to know such wonderful people over the years. :\">
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. The novels
    2. The action
    3. The humor
    4. The women
    5. The music
    6. The scenery
    7. The actors
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Oh James Bond has given me a lot, for decades now.
    I am unsure about this being in priority order, but for today:

1) The films - they have given me an exciting, fun, romantic, adventurous, stimulating, and fantastic world that I can be part of for two hours or so, with a character I can count on, I can relate to at times (even though I'm a gal), and that lifts my spirits: James Bond.

2) The novels - Discovered these as a young teen (13 or 14) and felt that my mind and eyes were opened to a bigger world, one with layers, one with memorable characters, and at times an atmosphere that lingers with me still (all of Bond with Honey, Bond at the baccarat table, Bond in my hometown (that happens in Live and Let Die); and so much of Bond in From Russia with Love, especially his introduction to Tania, his friendship with Kerim, his fight with Grant, and the very end of the novel).

3 ) A very enjoyable kind of escapism that gives me different interpretations, shadings of James Bond. Like @Murdock said, the films are unique. The character of James Bond continues, but we get a different actor from time to time and the films don't repeat themselves. There is always a fresh Bond film to look forward to. I like the variety we have had in actors, tone, and style - it keeps this series alive and growing and will be always part of my life. When I die, folks will find these things by my bedside, I guarantee it: my bible, a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, at least one Bond novel, and a stash of Bond films.

4) Music that is so much fun and part of my world - especially the James Bond theme, Monty Norman's style; it plays in my head when I am driving or at other times. Other favorite great theme songs are part of my life, too. Wonderful, memorable music and when watching the film it helps me know, without even thinking it, that it's a Bond film.

5) Exotic, gorgeous, and interesting locations. I have always wanted to travel and see the world. Where Bond goes is so enjoyable for me to see; many places I will never get the opportunity to visit or at least not in his style.

6) A repertoire of lines that I remember mostly to myself, not out loud, but that make me smile or give me a boost. Many, many Bond films out there and lots of great lines throughout. Do I enjoy that? Yes, considerably. ;)

7) A camaraderie with others who share my passion for all things Bond. Similar to being a Sherlock Holmes fan, this is a special area of interest that I can enjoy discussing with friends near and far for all of my life. Not a small thing, I'd say.

1. The films
    2. The novels
    3. The music
    4. The solid tradition of a theme song, PTS, the cars, the gadgets
    5. The lessons it teaches about loyalty, courage and flirtation
    6. The excitement of waiting for a new movie
    7. The unaltered versions of the movies (the opposite of Star Wars), they release them as they were, with its mistakes and goofs
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) Ian Fleming. The idea of a secret agent and the fantasy world that Fleming and the films created for him.

2) All of the Bond actors and their different approaches to the role.

3) The women.

4) The villains.

5) The action and suspense.

6) John Barry and some of the other composers. Their music elevated the best films into the stratosphere and were able to breathe new life into some of the not so great ones.

7) Everything else since I have to stop here. Bond's family of M, Moneypenny and Q. The cars/gadgets etc...
    DN
    FRWL
    GF
    OHMSS
    FYEO
    CR
    SF

And of course the Fleming books.
    1. 007 Nightfire on the GameCube
    2. My cousin David, who introduced me to Nightfire on the PS2
    3. GoldenEye (the movie, not the game) on VHS tape
    4. From Russia with Love on the GameCube
    5. A View to a Kill on Special 007 Edition DVD
    6. My old middle school librarian who let me check out The World of 007 book for WAY longer than the usual alloted time was!
    7. The Great Escape, a local store where I was able to buy the majority of my Bond DVD's
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    * I learnt so much from Ian Fleming's Bond novels, be it on fine food, drinks, gambling or great cars. Basically Fleming's novels helped me become much more sophisticated!

* The character of Bond, be it "cardboard booby" or fascinating nuanced character study.

* The walk of Bond. Connery and Brosnan in particular.

* The music of John Barry.

* The PTS's

* Because they remind me of a time when life was oh so simple.

" Coz they're awesome.
    * No other forum would have me ;-)
  • 1. The gunbarrels (even you, Quantum of Solace!)
    2. The theme songs (even you Madonna!)
    3. 'Bond, James Bond'
    4. The actors (even you, Lazenator!)
    5. The girls (even you, May Day!)
    6. The villains (even you, Kamal Khan!)
    7. All of you. Except the trolls. F--- them.
    LIST 133: Six things you do a few hours before watching a new Bond film.
    LIST 134: Seven reasons why you are a Bond fan.

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 135</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>Rank Guy Hamilton's Bond films.</b></font>
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,548
    4. TMWTGG - the most uneven and poor of the Hamilton Bonds, not as atmospheric and amusing as DAF though.

3. LALD - a solid Bond film with a remarkably attractive girl, a fairly consistent story and an excellent villain.

2. DAF - a delightfully outrageous yet very atmospheric Bond film, deliciously strange.

1. GF - the most even and spectacular of Hamilton's films and very significant in establishing the series in film history.

Note: I think LALD is a more competent film than DAF but as far as my amusement goes, DAF is just such a peculiar treat, I tend to watch it more often than LALD.
    GF

LALD/DAF
    TMWTGG