No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Funny to think Joseph Heller's Catch 22 started out as Catch 18 as well.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't understand how one can be worried becausr no title has been announced yet, when they are filming a film.

Because they said they'd announce the title @boldfinger. And beside a title gives us an idea of what the film is about. Heck, sometimes writers come up with the title before they think of a story to write!
    But my main concern in the case of Bond 25 is that they did announce they would give the title, then they did not. I think that's a blunder, for one, and it can also be symptomatic of other problems. Don't get me wrong: there's a lot of things I like with the production do far. Love the casting, the tidbits of plot we got, love the locations, the pictures, etc. I also think Craig looks better now than he did in SF or SP. But frankly they have no excuse for the title.
    I´m much more interested in watching a good movie than I am in knowing in Advance what the movie is About. But I guess that´s a matter of Preference ;-).

I'm not talking about knowing in advance. I mean having an idea about it. The title of A Clockwork Orange gives nothing of the movie or novel, yet is very evocative.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I don't understand how one can be worried becausr no title has been announced yet, when they are filming a film.

Because they said they'd announce the title @boldfinger. And beside a title gives us an idea of what the film is about. Heck, sometimes writers come up with the title before they think of a story to write!
    But my main concern in the case of Bond 25 is that they did announce they would give the title, then they did not. I think that's a blunder, for one, and it can also be symptomatic of other problems. Don't get me wrong: there's a lot of things I like with the production do far. Love the casting, the tidbits of plot we got, love the locations, the pictures, etc. I also think Craig looks better now than he did in SF or SP. But frankly they have no excuse for the title.

The James Bond & Friends Podcast said they had a title ready to reveal, but MGM/Universal held it back as it "wasn't strong enough".
    Red_Snow wrote: »

The James Bond & Friends Podcast said they had a title ready to reveal, but MGM/Universal held it back as it "wasn't strong enough".

Which is what I suspected. At one point they had something then decided to pull back at the last minute.

I want to make it clear : I'm not in a negative mode. There are lots of things I love about what we know of the production. I just think they should have decided of a title by now. It's not a make or break thing for me obviously but it is one concern for me.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Which is what I suspected. At one point they had something then decided to pull back at the last minute.

I want to make it clear : I'm not in a negative mode. There are lots of things I love about what we know of the production. I just think they should have decided of a title by now. It's not a make or break thing for me obviously but it is one concern for me.

Changes in the way things are revealed may be due to production issues, but are also just as likely due to Universal taking over and doing things differently. While this is their first Bond outting, it's certainly not their first and only franchise, they do know what they're doing.

And they may well have decided on a title, but the current trend is to reveal the title of big franchise films with the first trailer and not at a press conference. Given the rather non-event status of the press conference it would make far more sense to drop the title with the first trailer, it will create a hell of a lot more buzz from a marketing perspective.

I´m much more interested in watching a good movie than I am in knowing in Advance what the movie is About. But I guess that´s a matter of Preference ;-).

I'm not talking about knowing in advance. I mean having an idea about it. The title of A Clockwork Orange gives nothing of the movie or novel, yet is very evocative.
    Fair enough. I agree that tiltes can be damn cool. Diamonds are forever. Live and let die. From Russia, with Love. But even without a title, the idea of a new Bond film is what is most evocative for me. And let´s face it, so far the chances were huge that the title would be another low-key one-word-affair like the last two. I´d much prefer if they don´t have any title at this time, and then after filming two thirds of the movie, or even during post they decide that this film Looks like it should have the title "The Man with the shattered face". Or something like that or other ;-).

Getafix wrote: »
    Funny to think Joseph Heller's Catch 22 started out as Catch 18 as well.
    More catchy, wouldn’t you say? ;)

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    George Orwell started writing a novel called The Last Man in Europe. By the time he finished it was called 1984.
    Not a bad Bond title there.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I really like „Forever And A Day“ as a title in general.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here’s my big Bond question from the launch: Where is Michael G. Wilson’s cameo in Live And Let Die?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Here’s my big Bond question from the launch: Where is Michael G. Wilson’s cameo in Live And Let Die?
    I'm gonna have a guess here, that he's sitting at the outdoor table with the red shirt and glasses watching Baron Samedi do his dance (29:00min in).
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,661

Changes in the way things are revealed may be due to production issues, but are also just as likely due to Universal taking over and doing things differently. While this is their first Bond outting, it's certainly not their first and only franchise, they do know what they're doing.

And they may well have decided on a title, but the current trend is to reveal the title of big franchise films with the first trailer and not at a press conference. Given the rather non-event status of the press conference it would make far more sense to drop the title with the first trailer, it will create a hell of a lot more buzz from a marketing perspective.

Title changes have happened before so it's not unduly concerning. Bond 16 went into production as Licence Revoked:

16918fae02d69773bed72ccb9b20d7ba--book-jacket.jpg

Changed due to the studio worried about the audience not understanding what 'revoked' meant. The Guardian newspaper posited another reason - the word 'revoked' was associated with a driving licence.
    Licence to Kill was Timothy Dalton's second outing as 007. In the film, Bond resigns from the British Secret Service and sets off on a brutal personal vendetta against a master criminal. The 1989 film was initially called Licence Revoked, but this was changed after test screenings revealed that US crowds associated the term with driving.

You can picture the scene... Bond goes to Q Branch:
    "Have you got my new Aston Martin, Q?"

"Sorry, Bond, your licence has been revoked. Uber taxis only."
    ;)
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241
    fanbond123 wrote: »

;)

I immediately began to think of this scene from North by Northwest reading this!

giphy.gif

;)

I immediately began to think of this scene from North by Northwest reading this!

giphy.gif

That's precious ;) Love that scene.

Now, of to watch North by Northwest and to Catch a Thief, what perfect films to start the Summer. Thanks for the ideia, @Torgeirtrap ;)
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Univex wrote: »

;)

giphy.gif

That's precious ;) Love that scene.

Now, of to watch North by Northwest and to Catch a Thief, what perfect films to start the Summer. Thanks for the ideia, @Torgeirtrap ;)

Definitely need to watch those two films soon myself – as well as Vertigo, The Birds and Rear Window!
    Have you ever seen Shadow of a Doubt?
    Great lesser known Hitchcock.
    I'd love to see an overt Hitchcock reference in Bond again. I thought Mendes was going to do something referencing the 39 Steps in SF but it didn't happen. The whole Highland pursuit was crying out for something like that
    Missed opportunity IMO. M and Bond should have headed to Scotland on the Highland Sleeper.
    Have you ever seen Shadow of a Doubt?
    Great lesser known Hitchcock.
    I'd love to see an overt Hitchcock reference in Bond again. I thought Mendes was going to do something referencing the 39 Steps in SF but it didn't happen. The whole Highland pursuit was crying out for something like that
    Missed opportunity IMO. M and Bond should have headed to Scotland on the Highland Sleeper.

True, all you said. Very much so.
    Hitchcockian references would be very welcome, IMO. Do we know if Fukunaga is a Hitchcock fan? Every director should be, but still.

Never seen Shadow of a Doubt unfortunately. It's on my list though!
    Hitchcockian references would be very welcome, IMO. Do we know if Fukunaga is a Hitchcock fan? Every director should be, but still.

He is a giant Kubrick fan. That's good enough for me ;) He even had a private tour of his house and archive because he's going to direct Napoleon for a Spielberg produced tv series.
    I watched To Catch a Thief recently. It's an odd film. Amazing cast. Great locations and looks stunning. But it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Sounds absurd to say it but the direction feels a bit clunky, like Hitch wasn't really firing on all cylinders.
    The Sonic The Hedgehog film was set to be released November 2019 but now delayed until 14th Feb 2020 because people didn't like the look of Sonic and his long human type legs. Had Bond 25 stuck with its Feb 14th 2020 date it would have been Bond vs Sonic. What a box office battle! ;)

I can't see any overt Hitchcock influences in Fukunaga's work but perhaps it's fair to say there isn't a director working today who hasn't been influenced by Hitchcock in some way - consciously or unconsciously.

Fukunaga certainly seems to like telling a strong story, understands action and is good at building tension and suspense. All arguably Hitchcockian traits. And all things that set him apart from Mendes IMO.
    Univex wrote: »

He is a giant Kubrick fan. That's good enough for me ;) He even had a private tour of his house and archive because he's going to direct Napoleon for a Spielberg produced tv series.

That's interesting! Maybe we'll see some Kubrick inspired shots.

I can't see any overt Hitchcock influences in Fukunaga's work but perhaps it's fair to say there isn't a director working today who hasn't been influenced by Hitchcock in some way - consciously or unconsciously.

Fukunaga certainly seems to like telling a strong story, understands action and is good at building tension and suspense. All arguably Hitchcockian traits. And all things that set him apart from Mendes IMO.

Good points. If he can bring some of the elements that made the Hitchcock films so great to the screen for Bond 25, we might be in for a treat.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The Sonic The Hedgehog film was set to be released November 2019 but now delayed until 14th Feb 2020 because people didn't like the look of Sonic and his long human type legs. Had Bond 25 stuck with its Feb 14th 2020 date it would have been Bond vs Sonic. What a box office battle! ;)

:))
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Walecs wrote: »

:))

Nintendo/Sony Playstation vs Sega, then. Wonder who would win ;)

Fair enough. I agree that tiltes can be damn cool. Diamonds are forever. Live and let die. From Russia, with Love. But even without a title, the idea of a new Bond film is what is most evocative for me. And let´s face it, so far the chances were huge that the title would be another low-key one-word-affair like the last two. I´d much prefer if they don´t have any title at this time, and then after filming two thirds of the movie, or even during post they decide that this film Looks like it should have the title "The Man with the shattered face". Or something like that or other ;-).

Well yes, I'd much rather have a good title revealed late than a bad one revealed early. Which is why I suspect we haven't seen the title yet.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france

Well yes, I'd much rather have a good title revealed late than a bad one revealed early. Which is why I suspect we haven't seen the title yet.

that also applies for the movie itself for me !
    I watched To Catch a Thief recently. It's an odd film. Amazing cast. Great locations and looks stunning. But it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Sounds absurd to say it but the direction feels a bit clunky, like Hitch wasn't really firing on all cylinders.
    You can actually read that Kind of criticism here and there. I think it´s not entirely wrong. I love the Holiday Flair of the film, but it could be a bit more thrilling. On the other Hand, the way Grace Kelly throws herself at Cary Grant, dialogue and all, is priceless! Especially the picnic scene and the fireworks Scene Come to mind.

• edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    It's got all the right ingredients but the recipe ain't quite right. One or two scenes stand out but as a whole it doesn't work.

Incredible that he directed Rear Window the year before - a work of total perfection.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    My overall favourite film is Rear Window - it‘s just perfect in every aspect. But I also love To Catch A Thief. The story is quite lightweight but the cast, locations and dialogue are as entertaining as they were and I must have seen this film 50 times already. Like the first 4 Connery and first 3 Craig Bond movies these 2 Hitchcocks I can watch over and over again and they never bore me.

About B25: I do not mind that they haven‘t revealed the title, yet. With the exception of the accident of course all I read, saw and heard about B25 looks like this film will be a good new Bond film. I am more curious about the title tune though - I am hoping for a rock song, as mentioned before.