Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited April 2019 Posts: 308

Bizarre interview

Love Don Cheadle's reaction to Brie

Screen-Shot-2019-04-22-at-9-37-58-PM.png
    First reactions to Endgame, and all very positive:

https://radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-04-23/avengers-endgame-reviews-premiere-reactions/

We'll see tomorrow in France.
    So, Endgame.

They really went and did it. Did not feel like 3 hours at all, what a brilliantly executed finale that really is blockbuster filmmaking with a capital B. Films like The Winter Soldier, Logan and Nolan's Batman trilogy can be argued to be shy of their comic book roots and attempt to be above it. Endgame's biggest achievement is managing to have it both ways, and throw in well-placed fan service capping 11 years off on top. There is only one aspect that I'm currently unsure about that I'll have to reassess on rewatch, won't give it away here... And really - just see it first, before anything else...bring on tomorrow back to back with Infinity War.

P.S. Rankings at the moment: best MCU film? My personal feeling is TWS and IM3 may just top it but that's just personal preference. Better than IW? Different beast, in fact ENDGAME is making me appreciate the earlier film's slightly more experimental approach.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Avengers: Endgame is currently at 77/100 from 17 reviews on MetaCritic, and at 98% from 40 reviews on RottenTomatoes.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I’m in full-blown spoiler avoidance mode now. I have not viewed any of the marketing since the last trailer. I haven’t read any reviews or seen any reactions whatsoever. Going dark until Friday afternoon.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Avengers: Endgame is now certified fresh on RottenTomatoes, with a score of 96% & and averate rating of 8.14/10.

Capture-d-e-cran-2019-04-24-a-08-44-29.png
    Endgame isn't the film I expected, nor was it the film I would have made. But I dug this movie a lot! I don't want to alter expectations of the film but this might be one of the best comic book movies ever. The MCU is this generations Star Wars.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A lot of people I know told me the movie is a huge disappointment.
    I'm sorry but Rotten Tomatoes have lost all credibility after their removal of any anti-Captain Marvel audience reviews or ratings to give the movie a positive slant.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Rotten Tomatoes have lost all credibility after their removal of any anti-Captain Marvel audience reviews or ratings to give the movie a positive slant.

They got rid of a lot of those because they were just ranting about Brie Larson without having seen the movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I want to know, does Hulk get some payback on Thanos?

Any response can be hidden as a spoiler
    Thank you in advance!

They removed audience reviews for every film prior to their respective release dates. Those Captain Marvel reviews were irrelevant as they were posted before anyone had watched the film.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,333

They removed audience reviews for every film prior to their respective release dates. Those Captain Marvel reviews were irrelevant as they were posted before anyone had watched the film.
    They also did it afterwards according to those that tried to post a less than favourable review, or that wasn't anything other than sycophantic. Also, I visited the CM page long before the movie came out and there was never a time when RT allowed audience reviews to appear until after the release date or the lifting of the embargo. In other words, that was a bit of fake news. I believe now that the movie has finally gone off the big screen, they're allowing the negative reviews to filter through.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

They also did it afterwards according to those that tried to post a less than favourable review, or that wasn't anything other than sycophantic. Also, I visited the CM page long before the movie came out and there was never a time when RT allowed audience reviews to appear until after the release date or the lifting of the embargo. In other words, that was a bit of fake news. I believe now that the movie has finally gone off the big screen, they're allowing the negative reviews to filter through.

From what I'd seen and read, the reviews taken down were mostly shots taken at Brie Larson and her personal statements, not legitimate reviews of the film itself.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator

From what I'd seen and read, the reviews taken down were mostly shots taken at Brie Larson and her personal statements, not legitimate reviews of the film itself.
    When have they ever done something similar for another movie?

When have they ever done something similar for another movie?

I don't honestly know that they have.
    New official still from Spider-Man: Far From Home:

k9thcq0wggu21.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Just back from ENDGAME.

This is going to take some processing. Really not sure how I feel right now, beyond exhausted of course.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Just back from ENDGAME.

This is going to take some processing. Really not sure how I feel right now, beyond exhausted of course.

How would you rank it comparing to other 3 avengers?
    Just back from ENDGAME.

It's still so fresh and so dense narratively that I honestly couldn't answer that definitively right now. Maybe in a day or two, or if I get the chance to see it again.

The most I could say is that it's better than Age Of Ultron for sure. But between it the others? I don't know.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Just back from ENDGAME.

It's still so fresh and so dense narratively that I honestly couldn't answer that definitively right now. Maybe in a day or two, or if I get the chance to see it again.

The most I could say is that it's better than Age Of Ultron for sure. But between it the others? I don't know.

I haven't watched it yet but some friends of mine didn't really liked it, said something was off and weird About this one.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,422
    Went to see Endgame last night. Still trying to process it. It is a good movie. Not quite what I, personally, was expecting.

Once I find out how to do spoiler tags (have they removed that option?), I'll let you know what I thought.

Does it betray the characters? Nope. The acted with their own personal moral code. No out of left field choices. Plenty of fan service, but after 11 years, Marvel was entitled.

Here's my top five MCU films, just to give you a glimpse into what I prefer -
    1. Winter Solider
    2. Infinity War
    3. Civil War
    4. Ragnarok
    5. Guardians 2

Where would I rank Endgame? No idea. It's still too fresh and raw.
    Just back from ENDGAME.

I haven't watched it yet but some friends of mine didn't really liked it, said something was off and weird About this one.

The plot is OUT THERE, even for a Marvel film, so that I can understand. The first hour is so very strange, but once the gears started moving I was completely on board, such is the strength of the characters. By the final third, I was very invested and by the last few scenes, well...

Lets just say the last time I saw an audience react to a film that way was when LOGAN came out. Lots of bittersweetness.
    I saw ENDGAME too. This movie is AMAZING :)
    The "time heist" was nice to see (especially when you saw "The Avengers", "Thor: Dark World" and "Guardians of the Galaxy").
    Final fight was... so big (and nicely done).
    I sincerely recommend this movie :)
    Avengers: Endgame is now heading to a $349 million domestic opening weekend, obliterating the previous record of $257 million set by Infinity War last year. Endgame's opening weekend in China is also looking to be around $330 million.
    It felt to me it was Marvel's greatest hits. So many callbacks but they did it in a fun way that progressed the story around. The final act is too good.

When will it be an appropriate time to talk spoilers? I think most people who care enough to see it should have seen it by Sunday.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    It felt to me it was Marvel's greatest hits. So many callbacks but they did it in a fun way that progressed the story around. The final act is too good.

When will it be an appropriate time to talk spoilers? I think most people who care enough to see it should have seen it by Sunday.

I am thinking of seeing it next weekend, but could be longer. I am in no hurry, I am sure it will be showing for a couple of months.
    Latest updates are indicating Endgame will get very close to a $400 million domestic opening weekend. That is almost $150 million more than the previous records set by Infinity War.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,407

(I can't seem to delete what ever that is above, it appeared after the site update, just ignore it)

I won't be able to see Endgame maybe until next Friday because of commitments