James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Quality wise, physical editions will always be better than streaming is, unless it manages to be a rare release where they've completely dropped the ball and it all looks awful anyway.
    The 4K versions on Itunes are staggering. Especially the ones from Dr.No to MR. Can't wait for the physical editions with higher bitrate.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    The 4K versions on Itunes are staggering. Especially the ones from Dr.No to MR. Can't wait for the physical editions with higher bitrate.

The screenshots I've been seeing from these are something else, like seeing the movies all over again for the first time. What detail and color.

From what I've been told, the scene when Quist is feed to the sharks in Largos pool, the water turns red in the 4K iTunes version. Can you confirm this?

The red filter was removed on the Ultimate DVD & Blu-Ray versions.

edited April 2019 Posts: 40,454
    Same. You can even see it on YouTube, so you're either misremembering or your copy isn't legit. YouTube embedding is pure trash, so jump to 1:04-ish:

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Lmaoooooooooo. You guys realize that’s meant to be blood right? Not an accidental filter.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Kananga wrote: »

From what I've been told, the scene when Quist is feed to the sharks in Largos pool, the water turns red in the 4K iTunes version. Can you confirm this?

I have the red filter on both Blu-Ray Boxed set discs that I bought. So one of us purchased some anomalies.

As far as I know, it's the UK edition that removed the red filter.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2019 Posts: 6,716
    The tint was removed in the UE DVD as well, but I'm not sure if it's something that affected all editions.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @Ed83, perhaps I´m a bit in denial, but my Impression is that the Quality improvements get smaller with each new Format. VHS to DVD was truly a Quantum leap. DVD to BR isn´t half as much an improvement. Many eye-popping differences in Quality are more due to restaurations done exclusively for BR than to the Format itself. And I ask myself, if I like watching movies at the Cinema, how much more sharper, crisper or whatever do I want my home Cinema Format to be than it is in the Cinema?

4k is pretty much the apex of quality you're going to get from 35mm film, so it's the pinnacle of cinematic quality and thus still worth it because we're still exacting a lot more data. Yes, it is subtle, but it's information you'd never see unless you went to the cinema.

In the future when we get 8k releases, it will be pointless. At that point it will simply be an upscale.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Lmaoooooooooo. You guys realize that’s meant to be blood right? Not an accidental filter.

No one doesn’t get that. But it is a red filter.

My bad, I thought you guys were saying it was some sort of upscaling ”glitch”
    Kananga wrote: »

I have the red filter on both Blu-Ray Boxed set discs that I bought. So one of us purchased some anomalies.

As far as I know, it's the UK edition that removed the red filter.

Funny that their version is more censored, but the UK edition of CR is much more "unrated".
  • zb007zb007 UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 85
    The 4K versions from Itunes have apparently appeared elsewhere according to some sites
    I'd love to get my hands on the 4K versions already, digitally or not, just to see how much more sharp and colorful they are. The images from GE are night and day different, the blu-ray transfer for that is one of the weakest of the series.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd love to get my hands on the 4K versions already, digitally or not, just to see how much more sharp and colorful they are. The images from GE are night and day different, the blu-ray transfer for that is one of the weakest of the series.

Agreed. That bloody DNR in everyone's face hurts my eyes!

Too right! Avoid the Terminator 2 4K if you've yet to see it, that's DNR applied to the max there.

Too right! Avoid the Terminator 2 4K if you've yet to see it, that's DNR applied to the max there.

Don't worry, not a fan of Terminator.
    And no money for 4K discs, players or TV :D LOL

Upgrading to 4K seems a big step – most of all in how much you have to spend to get the best experience…
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    "Apparently, from what I've discerned from information found on the web, the production entity instituted a saving of over $120,000 by using short ends of an archaic Orwo film stock, left over from the 1960s." :-O

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-™-goldeneye-in-blu-ray.317932/

Upgrading to 4K seems a big step – most of all in how much you have to spend to get the best experience…

The upgrade's been more than worth it for me - about $500 on a TV, $200 for a player. Pricy, sure, but didn't break the bank like some of those 4KTV's that can stretch into the few-$1,000 range.

What is DNR? I tried to Google it, got Deutscher Naturschutz Ring.

From Wikipedia:

"Digital Noise Reduction or DNR is a software program used to enhance the quality of digital photographic reproductions of either still or moving images. It is a tool especially useful to correct imperfections (such as film grain, electronic noise, film speckles, dirt, scratches, etc) inherent in the source material, in particular those from film negatives, photographs and other such copies."

Film buffs tend to hate it, since it removes inherent parts of the picture, such as the aforementioned grain, noise, dirt, etc.

I have no problem when it's clearing up images and making them look more sharp and colorful.
    The problem is that when DNR is over-applied it leaves everything looking unnatural and waxy. But it's cheaper for studios to just slap it on than have someone supervise a frame-by-frame restoration.
    Predator is an infamous example of DNR.
    Revelator wrote: »
    The problem is that when DNR is over-applied it leaves everything looking unnatural and waxy. But it's cheaper for studios to just slap it on than have someone supervise a frame-by-frame restoration.

Exactly, it paints a very waxy tone over everything. Some of those initial screenshots I saw for Terminator 2 genuinely looked like wax figurines of the actors, it was jarring.

From Wikipedia:

"Digital Noise Reduction or DNR is a software program used to enhance the quality of digital photographic reproductions of either still or moving images. It is a tool especially useful to correct imperfections (such as film grain, electronic noise, film speckles, dirt, scratches, etc) inherent in the source material, in particular those from film negatives, photographs and other such copies."

Film buffs tend to hate it, since it removes inherent parts of the picture, such as the aforementioned grain, noise, dirt, etc.

I have no problem when it's clearing up images and making them look more sharp and colorful.
    I see now. Thanks, @Creasy47.

Revelator wrote: »
    I agree, it´s a crime to the visual arts to just slap it on.

mattjoes wrote: »
    Predator is an infamous example of DNR.
    Yeah I read About that. Anyhow a questionable decision to noise-reduce a film shot on extremely grainy film stock.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I say keep all the grain. It's part of the image. And I always thought it looked really cool.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,272

The upgrade's been more than worth it for me - about $500 on a TV, $200 for a player. Pricy, sure, but didn't break the bank like some of those 4KTV's that can stretch into the few-$1,000 range.

Don't think you can get a 4KTV for $500 over here. All those I've seen (although I haven't been keeping an eye on prices) are in the $1,000 range upwards. Don't know about the 4K players though.

Don't think you can get a 4KTV for $500 over here. All those I've seen (although I haven't been keeping an eye on prices) are in the $1,000 range upwards. Don't know about the 4K players though.

That's a shame. If you have an HDTV already, though, those prices aren't worth the upgrade jump at all. With every passing year, however, and with the format becoming more and more common, the prices will inevitably drop. I remember when they were first unveiled a few years back, all costing several thousand dollars each. Ridiculous.
    I say keep all the grain. It's part of the image. And I always thought it looked really cool.

The first DVD I bought was The Day of the Jackal, and I was fascinated by the grainy look of the street pavement in the opening scenes of the film.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,272

That's a shame. If you have an HDTV already, though, those prices aren't worth the upgrade jump at all. With every passing year, however, and with the format becoming more and more common, the prices will inevitably drop. I remember when they were first unveiled a few years back, all costing several thousand dollars each. Ridiculous.

Do have an older HDTV, which might be alright enough – at least until those 4KTV prices drop. Will probably be looking for a TV at 42 inches or less, so that might make things even cheaper.