A View to A Kill - Underrated?

Comments

In what way Thundy ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love AVTAK, regardless of where I rank it. It's a campy blast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »
    In what way Thundy ?

I just enjoyed it more. Didn t get that "tired" feel, and wasn t bored. Several segments are excellent and engaging. The pts and mts are still among the weakest for me, though.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    I always think if the stupid beach boys track was taken out and more of the Barry score replacing it then it would be a good PTS ...and I maintain my belief that Sir Roger is very good in this ,and his Bond seriously hates Zorin .
    As a last mission scenario, as I see it ,from an ageing Bond,I love it and I think it’s #11 in my rankings.
    I always think if the stupid beach boys track was taken out and more of the Barry score replacing it then it would be a good PTS ...and I maintain my belief that Sir Roger is very good in this ,and his Bond seriously hates Zorin .
    As a last mission scenario, as I see it ,from an ageing Bond,I love it and I think it’s #11 in my rankings.

I love that bit of the PTS and I don't know why. It feels super out of place and would probably piss me off used in any other film, but I can easily forgive (and enjoy) it here. It's odd.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It completely falls apart once Bond meets with Howe. Everything before that I love.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The worst part of the "stupid Beach Boys track" is IMO the fact that it is not the original Beach Boys track, but a cheap cover version. Other than that, it's sort of on the level of the MWTGG slide whistle (which I understand was a John Barry suggestion!!!) and the various cringe situations (tiger, Tarzan, etc.) in OP. Nothing to be enthusiastic about, but no disaster either. Rather common for the Moore era.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I love that bit of the PTS and I don't know why. It feels super out of place and would probably piss me off used in any other film, but I can easily forgive (and enjoy) it here. It's odd.

It’s Sir Roger ,major ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The Beach Boys song doesn't annoy me too much, just a bit of an eye roll is all. The choice of 'California Girls' in particular, is odd, considering we see neither here. Would it not have been more appropriate to at least use one of their 'Surfin xx' tracks instead?
    QBranch wrote: »
    The Beach Boys song doesn't annoy me too much, just a bit of an eye roll is all. The choice of 'California Girls' in particular, is odd, considering we see neither here. Would it not have been more appropriate to at least use one of their 'Surfin xx' tracks instead?

Are you saying you don't consider Sir Roger Moore a California Girl?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    No, but I wish he could be. ;)

It would have been one of the best pts if they had the Bond theme playing over that section instead. I think someone on here dubbed it and it was brilliant. I do like that opener though, its nicely shot and Rog look great, even with dodgy back projection!
    AVTAK will always get bonus points for me for having one of the very best villains. Walken is excellent, am glad they got him instead of David Bowie, the original choice!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

It would have been one of the best pts if they had the Bond theme playing over that section instead. I think someone on here dubbed it and it was brilliant. I do like that opener though, its nicely shot and Rog look great, even with dodgy back projection!
    AVTAK will always get bonus points for me for having one of the very best villains. Walken is excellent, am glad they got him instead of David Bowie, the original choice!

I believe Sting was the second choice. Walken is a better choice than him as well.

I believe Sting was the second choice. Walken is a better choice than him as well.

Didnt know that about Sting. We really dodged a bullet there. He would have been terrible!

Didnt know that about Sting. We really dodged a bullet there. He would have been terrible!

Yes, terrible actor. Bowie was at least decent in some of his work.
  • Zorin91Zorin91 Stavanger, Norway
    Not by far a great movie, but highly rewatchable. Zorin's my absolutte favourite villain, so sadistic. Although Moore's old at this point, I find him quite quotable, the same with Zorin of course. The rest of Zorins villain entourage is also great. I don't come to this movie for the action. I come to watch a witty adventure with some welcome dark moments. Nr.10 in my list
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Walken. Mic drop.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 11,189
    When I watched it shortly after Roger’s passing along with several of his other Bond films (all expect his first two), this easily came off as his weakest of the five

It’s got some great aspects like the score and the Duran Duran song but it’s often slow with sloppy filmaking and unfunny comedy.

Walken is...ok but sometimes too hammy.

Roger on the back of the fire engine (or bad back projection) is also Bond’s worst moment up until DAD.
  • I saw A View to A Kill for the first time when I was a around 15 and I loved it. I still enjoyed it more than Skyfall.
    I've got a thought about "California Girls" being included. In the winter of '85, David Lee Roth had a big hit with his remake of the song and given Eon was wanting to capture more of the youth market at the time with the inclusion of Duran Duran maybe they thought the song would be familiar and enjoyable for them as well as older fans of the Beach Boys version.
    Nice to see this thread back in action again.
    AVTAK for years was my least favorite film in the series, but has graduated at the top of it's class in my "go-to Bond" category. I never tire of it, love the score, cast and of course the legendary Roger.
    AVTAK while no classic 007 movie does everything in his power to gibe Roger a nice and lovely goodbye, great title song, excellent actors, good action-scenes and some pretty good leading actors. Even Grace Jones is menacing enough. The story is a decent cold-war story with a baddie that goes rogue on his masters and Roger does his best to annoy and stop him.
    Nobody does it better than Roger.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Roger on the back of the fire engine (or bad back projection) is also Bond’s worst moment up until DAD.

The action in LA isn't too great, but still fun to watch. Roger Bonds worst moment would be in OP (ape costume! Or kissing MayDay).

And as it is always said that Roger is too old in this one, I would say the “bad scene because he is looking too old“ should go to Sean in YOLT: The fake marriage (when he sees Kissy for the first time) bothers me every time. He looks like 60.

Back to AVTAK: it's not in my top ten, but far away from the weakest entries. I have a weakness for beautiful blondes: Jenny Flex! Pola Ivanova! And I like Walken as Zorin and Tibbet. The action in Paris is nice and the end is surprisingly brutal.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    AVTAK has some great elements and overall is a pretty good romp. Moore is showing his age there is no question. I think it's safe to say Roger had some work on his eyes and face. There is a rather plastic look to his face in some of the scenes.

Some of the elements I enjoy in this film are as follows:

The whole horse auction and the social outside party. I always enjoy the part of the film where the villain and Bond meet in a social setting. They both know that they are out to get each other. Veiled threats are made, and there is a cat and mouse game is played. Here the final shot is Bond saying he enjoys Fly Fishing. Zorin now has some suspicions to follow up on.

Tibbet and Bond have some good chemistry and work well together. I enjoy the banter. When is the last time Bond had a memorable and effective ally?

The action for the most part is rather inventive. The horse race where Zorin cheats and Bond has to perform some heroics is rather good. I remember as a lad watching this film I was tense and fearful that Bond wasn't going to get out of this one. The fire truck chase is well done. Back screen projection aside I think it's rather imaginative.

I like Zorin's back story and Walken plays him with delight. I enjoy the villains in this film, they are likeable but you aren't rooting for them. They seem a good challenge for Bond. In fact the marketing campaign said "Has James Bond finally met his match?" I think they were playing up that everyone knew this was Moore's last go. It was also obvious that they were running out of Fleming novels and titles to use. I believe this is the first movie to simply state "James Bond will Return".

Not Moore's worst Bond, to me that belongs to MR. But a good film and one that never fails to entertain.
    Oh dear. Sadly, I cannot call AVTAK underrated.

I think there are a number of crimes here, but I'll try to be brief:

-lots of hammy overacting: Aubergine, the taxi driver, the monocle-wearing Nazi scientist (!), Zorin's thugs at the lab, the police sheriff. It's all too much. Again, EON - leave just a few ideas on the editing room floor. They don't all have to go in!

-Jones is good as is Walken, but occasionally very weird; they feel like they're in a different movie from everyone else.

-the costuming has aged terribly. Moneypenny at the Ascot and Sutton throughout (as well as Saint Roger himself, sadly) are the epitome of the flouncy, blown-out '80s. In quite a bad way.

-Sutton does nothing for me. She screams a lot. She's generally helpless. She gets snuck up on by a zeppelin.

-The cinematography is a bit flat, sadly, and as always the USA looks crap in a Bond movie.

-There's some real sloppiness here in the stunt-double work. Like, shockingly sloppy.

-Moore is basically playing himself here, and it's a delight to hang out with him as always, but the slapstick elements fall flat again.

On the other hand:
    -Macnee is a bloody saint and he deserved better; every minute he and Roger share is a treat.
    -Again, Walken and Jones are intriguing.
    -Good theme song.
    -Umm . . . Fiona Fullerton is lovely to look at.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It has its moments.
    The Eiffel Tower sequence is good, with a fantastic stunt to end on.

I liked much of the early San Francisco scenes culminating in Bond's meeting with the Russian spy. After that it loses focus.

Christopher Walken was great as the sneering, giggling Zorin. A real, proper psychopath.

I'm not as big a fan of Tibbet as most are. His presence does tend to draw attention to Roger Moore's age, rather than detract from it. They come across as a pair of old scoundrels out on a jolly.

The climax, from the flooding of the mine to the Golden Gate Bridge is well filmed and never boring.

Much of the film feels flat and uninspired. Tanya Roberts screeching 'JAMES' as she dangles in one hole after another becomes wearing to say the least.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I'm fond of it but I would say it deserves its place in rankings. Largely uninspired and tired, like a series that has run out of steam unfortunately.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Well...

Sir Roger deserved a better final outing. There indeed is no chemistry between him and Tanya Roberts.

Christopher Walken gunning down those people is a low point in the series.

The finale on the Golden Gate bridge is indeed good.

I also think that Moore hides his dislike for Grace Jones very well, I only found that out like 10 years after I first saw AVTAK.

MAY DAY JUMP!!!!

GET ZORIN FOR ME!!!!!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    For me, AVTAK sits comfortably over TMWTGG, MR and FYEO when it comes to Moore's films. It's got a certain charm to it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's my second least favorite of the Moore era. A lot of members have MR last and it's actually my favorite.

AVTAK is odd. I just never knew the purpose between the water pump scene and then the mine climax. Town hall, Staceys house etc just never feels like a Bond film. Just think, one film before had Bond in Germany fighting on top of a train racing against the clock stopping a nuclear bomb. Bond making a quiche and tucking Stacey in like a father visiting his daughter. I don't see Bond. I see a Hallmark movie during this point.