A View to A Kill - Underrated?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Imo Brosnan had chemistry with all the women. It's one of his many natural talents.
    Imo Brosnan had chemistry with all the women. It's one of his many natural talents.

Apart from Hatcher,they didn't like each other and it shows on screen to me.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    I dont mind cheesy but that scene is always cringeing to watch. And i dont think Brossa and Natalya had any chemistry. She was far too good for him. Another moment i hate is Brossas double take in the lift when Natalya tells Bond "I am fine, thank you!)

Let's not start listing the bad bits in GE. We will be here all day!
    barryt007 wrote: »

They look annoyed with each other. You could argue that fits the scene. But the whole relationship is badly written and acted (particularly by Hatcher).
    Natalya is a great Bond girl and I think Brosnan generally worked better with her than most of his other women.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

They look annoyed with each other. You could argue that fits the scene. But the whole relationship is badly written and acted (particularly by Hatcher).

Hatcher is so bad I try to forget she exists.
    Isabella is also a far more better actress than the puppy eyed D'Abo. Don't get me wrong, I like Kara but she largely has the same teary-eyed look to her throughout the film. Definitely a better character than Stacey though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I dont mind cheesy but that scene is always cringeing to watch. And i dont think Brossa and Natalya had any chemistry. She was far too good for him. Another moment i hate is Brossas double take in the lift when Natalya tells Bond "I am fine, thank you!)
    He pulled the same look during the going down together exchange with Jinx in the copter in DAD. Disappointing in both cases imho.
    Isabella is also a far more better actress than the puppy eyed D'Abo.
    Unquestionably.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

They would've made beautiful babies though
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    NicNac wrote: »

They would've made beautiful babies though

But she couldn't get 'too...too close fer comferrrrrt' ..(I hate that bloody line).

Agreed. I don't get the love that character gets from many fans. She's either nagging or lecturing Bond most of the film. At least Xenia is there to spice things up.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't get the love that character gets from many fans. She's either nagging or lecturing Bond most of the film.
    I suppose I like a woman who takes charge.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't get the love that character gets from many fans. She's either nagging or lecturing Bond most of the film.
    I suppose I like a woman who takes charge.

Kinky.

Agreed. I don't get the love that character gets from many fans. She's either nagging or lecturing Bond most of the film. At least Xenia is there to spice things up.

Sounds like Vesper to me.
    But she couldn't get 'too...too close fer comferrrrrt' ..(I hate that bloody line).

[/quote]

The one I hate is "when it comes to a choice between you and Elliot I've made my bed, you don't sleep in it anymooorre"
    Honestly, I have TND at No 9.

But I swear to you, if they had someone else, let's just say, Monica Bellucci, the bloody film would be in my Top 5 behind OHMSS GE TLD TSWLM
    I have it at #14 atm,the lowest it has ever been actually.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337
    I surprising have TND at #15, but only because it's not as outright bad as some of the others and is at least somewhat entertaining. But it is rather middling and I've always felt the ending was underwhelming for some reason.
    I surprising have TND at #15, but only because it's now as outright bad as some of the others and is at least somewhat entertaining. But it is rather middling and I've always felt the ending was underwhelming for some reason.

The ending is most Bond film's problem if you ask me.

Notable exceptions: YOLT, OHMSS, TSWLM, AVTAK, TLD, LTK, GE
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND falls pretty far down in my ranking, unfortunately. It's a fun romp, but it's my least favorite of Brosnan's.
    While I find TWINE horrendously boring & badly acted by the lead, I find TND trite & instantly forgettable. I'm not sure which is worse. I actually prefer watching DAD to either.
    DAD is up to #17 in my ratings...just think of it as a MR Brosnan and it works for me,i like it.
    DAD is up to #17 in my ratings...just think of it as a MR Brosnan and it works for me,i like it.

Ha! It's my No 17 as well :D

Ha! It's my No 17 as well :D

Kudos my man ! ...respect ;)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

As with the rest of that dire film I don't get it either.

@bondjames you love GE but consider SP an abomination? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    Pam tends to nag Bond through much of LTK too but no one complains there.
    Pam tends to nag Bond through much of LTK too but no one complains there.

That's because she has legs you could suck on all night .....grrrrrr....

Getafix wrote: »
    @bondjames you love GE but consider SP an abomination? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    I've been quite clear as to why I dislike SP immensely, and conversely why I think highly of GE.

The former film is full of life and energy. It sports superb performances by everyone, and a serviceable one by Brosnan. There's a vibrancy and spark to the whole thing. An energy and charming quirkiness that I find refreshing even today.

After the relative failure at US box office of the Dalton years and the unheard of 6 year gap, it returned James Bond to the spotlight and cultural relevancy. I'd go so far as to call it the most important Bond film since 1977. A statement of intent by EON, which reintroduced the character in a post-cold war era to a whole new generation of fans, gave us a new lasting 'M', and started the trend (now sadly exhausted) of there being some personal connection between Bond and the villain.

As I've said countless times before, I think it was the last quality 'formula' Bond film delivered by EON, unsurprisingly perhaps since it was also the last one released while Cubby was alive.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Okay, but that doesn't stop GE being really ropey and cheap feeling and generally dreadful, with the worst Bond, appalling 'stunt' work and worst score in the entire series.

Give me SP, or more pertinently, AVTAK any day!
    I'd take the PTS of GE over the entirety of SP. Same goes for the Ferrari/Aston sequence. The film is full of iconic moments. The score is not for everyone, but I am one who likes Serra's originality and creativity very much, and wish he had continued as composer (as long as he didn't sing again). I agree that it's quite dated now in places, but I'd argue that this is part of its charm. It was actually dated (model work wise) in 1995, but that didn't hurt it then because the film has that energy and drive. It's bursting with charisma.

The same can't be said of the latest effort, at least in my opinion. One of the most dull & forgettable films put out by EON, along with the disgraceful TWINE. I'd go so far as to call it potentially another reboot necessitator.

I'm neither here nor there on AVTAK. It's my least favourite Rog film, but it has its moments.