No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I truly struggle with the news that this is supposed to be a young Swann. Mainly as I was really done with that character.....

If this is Swann. I can guarantee that Lea Seydoux will play a significant role in the film. Which probably explains why we haven’t heard about any other female casting (aside Lupita). She’s the lead again.

https://www.instagram.com/hollybeauties/p/BvkC8aFg9nA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=12v1xskmnu20

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Alright. This confirms that I'm far more into brunettes than blondes. Lea is sensational in those Instagram photos.
    I truly struggle with the news that this is supposed to be a young Swann. Mainly as I was really done with that character.....

If this is Swann. I can guarantee that Lea Seydoux will play a significant role in the film. Which probably explains why we haven’t heard about any other female casting (aside Lupita). She’s the lead again.

https://www.instagram.com/hollybeauties/p/BvkC8aFg9nA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=12v1xskmnu20

I agree, Lea is back for a major part in Bond 25.
    I do think, from the set photos, we are seeing a Young Swann in a pre-title sequence set 20 or so years in the past - the style and colouring of the girls' jacket supports this - and that sequence will segue to the present where we find the adult Maddy Swann living with Bond -- but the past is about to catch up with her. That would help remind the wider audience who the character is and set in motion events which will drive Bond back to Mi6. Just speculating though.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited March 2019 Posts: 630
    This is what will happen:
    Swann killed a man who came to kill her father, as said in SPECTRE. 20 years later, that man's son, Rami Malek, comes to avenge his father death, after his CEO, a certain E.S.Blofeld is captured and supposedly killed by the english Secret Service during his transportation in prison. Malek succeeds in killing Swann, Bond reprises his role as 007 to help the MI6&5 to clear their name, finds out that the attack on Blofeld was actually carried on by Malek, but in the end he was not dead at all, hiding to gain back his organization. In the end, the two stepbrothers join forces and defeat Malek, Blofeld seems to be on the right side but turns against Bond, tries to kill him in a castle in Japan, Bond escapes, kills Blofeld, loses his memory and goes to live on a little island
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    My money is on ….
    The film opens with this sequence, Young Swann escaping a home invasion by her father's enemies and the chase across the ice, leading to whatever… and then we cut to the present, 20 years later, and find the adult Maddy Swann now living with Bond, but still in danger from her departed father's enemies (Spectre?) - so the pre-title sequence re-establishes Maddy Swann's character for the audience and then jumps us to the present and the past catching up with her and also with Bond.
    Thanks @ColonelSun. That’s pretty much how I see it being used as well. I certainly don’t think it’s a dream/nightmare sequence as suggested by @echo. It’s plausible but highly unlikely as it wouldn’t serve any real purpose.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    My money is on ….
    The film opens with this sequence, Young Swann escaping a home invasion by her father's enemies and the chase across the ice, leading to whatever… and then we cut to the present, 20 years later, and find the adult Maddy Swann now living with Bond, but still in danger from her departed father's enemies (Spectre?) - so the pre-title sequence re-establishes Maddy Swann's character for the audience and then jumps us to the present and the past catching up with her and also with Bond.

Agreed. I offered this same prediction one hour ago.

What's interesting is that since Madeleine was the one who made Bond quit in SP, now in the sequel she will be the one who makes him come back to his job. If our speculation turns out to be true. You can't escape the past, especially if it's a dark one.

Then the notion of childhood trauma as a curse chasing the victim is something really in the vein of Fukunaga's previous work. Plus, it would be very interesting the theme about Bond being cursed with his assassin life, at the same time, no matter the choices he makes.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,160
    Zekidk wrote: »
    My money is on ….

Plausible.
    ...and then they catch up with her present time, and kill her before or after the usual action setpiece in Italy, where newsreports also mentioned something about a wedding.

My feeling is….
    If Maddy Swann is dramatically reintroduced as a child under threat, then I don't believe they will simply kill her off in the next scenes set in the present. As a writer myself, I would not re-establish a character so strongly and then just dump the character (that would make the re-introdution scene essentially plot based and not about setting up the character for deeper exploration), plus Lea is a very good and interesting actress and I think they realize her role was underwritten in SP, but they know, as an actor, she has tons more to offer. My gut feeling is Bond is going to go hell for leather to protect the woman he loves from her (and her father's) past catching up with her.
    On the contrary, if you want the audience to have emphathy with the characters, you need emotional context, hence the flashback. If they just killed her, without the audience knowing her and/or parts of her backstory, they are just indifferent to her fate. I don't see B25 with Bond together with Swann from start to finish.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Makes sense. Fukunaga always dealt with childhood trauma, so I predict
    This Norway scene will indeed feature as a prologue, showing young Madeleine killing some men that came to kill her father. After this memory/dream sequence from her past Madeleine will wake up in Matera with 007 in present day, that will serve as the actual classic PTS.

how do you know thats how it plays out. sounds good though
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The Daily Mail have more set photos which could possibly confirm who the man in the mask is...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6864111/James-Bond-25-gets-underway-mysterious-masked-gunman-chases-young-girl-ice.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490
    11611984-6864111-image-m-40_1553858257736.jpg

This looks a lot like a clean-shaven Sebastian Mourasin. The same stuntman who seemingly hinted he was playing Rami Malek. Still their builds are very different.
    If this truly is a...
    flashback or a scene set in the past and it’s Madeleine as a child, this can’t be Malek’s character. It would make no sense. My only idea would be my earlier suggestion that he is playing a relative of Malek’s character, possibly his father?
    but if it is malek, then the girl isnt madaline, so it swings both ways
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I honestly wouldn't mind Seydeux as the main girl again. She was completely wasted in SP.
    Gareth007 wrote: »
    Makes sense. Fukunaga always dealt with childhood trauma, so I predict
    This Norway scene will indeed feature as a prologue, showing young Madeleine killing some men that came to kill her father. After this memory/dream sequence from her past Madeleine will wake up in Matera with 007 in present day, that will serve as the actual classic PTS.

how do you know thats how it plays out. sounds good though

Just pure speculation sir, based on the info we had (young blonde girl resembling a young Madeleine, the trusted reports [Baz + Variety] that both this Norway scene and Matera will feature in the beginning of the movie etc etc).
    bondsum wrote: »
    My money is on ….
    Thanks @ColonelSun. That’s pretty much how I see it being used as well. I certainly don’t think it’s a dream/nightmare sequence as suggested by @echo. It’s plausible but highly unlikely as it wouldn’t serve any real purpose.

Agree 100% - dreams and nightmare sequences are not in the style of Bond - the scene is a real character/action scene which will have dramatic meaning later on…
    And I think it strongly suggests Swann will have a major role in the film and not, as some have suggested, just set her up to be killed off. There is far more suspense and jeopardy to have Bond having to protect the woman he loves from her past than simply sending him off on another personal revenge mission (a repeat of the Vesper arc) which we have seen before in various forms. I think the filmmakers, and certainly Cary, are smarter than that, and they know Lea offers so much more than she was given in SP.

I do think, from the set photos, we are seeing a Young Swann in a pre-title sequence set 20 or so years in the past - the style and colouring of the girls' jacket supports this - and that sequence will segue to the present where we find the adult Maddy Swann living with Bond -- but the past is about to catch up with her. That would help remind the wider audience who the character is and set in motion events which will drive Bond back to Mi6. Just speculating though.

i hope not bbecause if that opens the film i bet theres no gun barrel
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Based on what?

Well, that's up in the air I guess. I do think, because Bond is out of Mi6, the gun barrel may seem wrong -- but Cary is clever, he may know how to plant the GB or re-work it to suit such an opening.
    Again, thank you for expanding on your previous thoughts @ColonelSun. It certainly makes more dramatic sense the direction you propose.

@Gareth007. There’s absolutely no reason why the gun barrel still can’t be used to open the movie.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 416

Well, that's up in the air I guess. I do think, because Bond is out of Mi6, the gun barrel may seem wrong -- but Cary is clever, he may know how to plant the GB or re-work it to suit such an opening.

If the gun barrel doesnt open the film i will be very upset, regardless to how great film end up. Thats how much it means to me and other bond fans. It's a thrilling moment and special when you go see a bond movie, its what makes you realise your here for a 007 movie, not a generic action flick. But im sure it will return if it did in spectre.

Yes I understand the gun barrel could still take place, but i dont see how it would fit in well if its a flashback without bond appearing. The fact that this sequence is a flashback is bothersome to me anyway. dont think flashbacks fit well for bond films.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,160
    It will have ties to CR. At least that's what Fukunaga said . Something about a "story arc". Which makes sense, of course.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 13,879
    The gun barrel
    opens on the young girl instead of Bond, and it is the masked assassin aiming at her.
    My money is on ….

Agreed. I offered this same prediction one hour ago.

What's interesting is that since Madeleine was the one who made Bond quit in SP, now in the sequel she will be the one who makes him come back to his job. If our speculation turns out to be true. You can't escape the past, especially if it's a dark one.

Then the notion of childhood trauma as a curse chasing the victim is something really in the vein of Fukunaga's previous work. Plus, it would be very interesting the theme about Bond being cursed with his assassin life, at the same time, no matter the choices he makes.

Ah, sorry I missed your post, but yes, I am with you on this. I think there is a lot of sense to opening the film that way - it covers quite a bit of ground, re-establishes a key character from SP and leads to the present in a gripping and dramatic way. And also feels very Cary Fukunaga.
    My money is on ….

Plausible.
    ...and then they catch up with her present time, and kill her before or after the usual action setpiece in Italy, where newsreports also mentioned something about a wedding.

My feeling is….
    If Maddy Swann is dramatically reintroduced as a child under threat, then I don't believe they will simply kill her off in the next scenes set in the present. As a writer myself, I would not re-establish a character so strongly and then just dump the character (that would make the re-introdution scene essentially plot based and not about setting up the character for deeper exploration), plus Lea is a very good and interesting actress and I think they realize her role was underwritten in SP, but they know, as an actor, she has tons more to offer. My gut feeling is Bond is going to go hell for leather to protect the woman he loves from her (and her father's) past catching up with her.

I think you're bang-on here, @ColonelSun. Adding a few thoughts of my own:

-If they're leaning hard into continuing SPECTRE's characters and story, and I believe they are, it makes sense entirely that the remaining splinters of the organization would be just as interested in vengeance against Madeleine as they would Bond. She led him to Blofeld's lair, as did her father. They're as responsible for its destruction as the secret service agent who shot the fuel tanks.

-I love the duality in the idea of the PTS split between Madeleine running from SPECTRE killers (we assume) as a child, and then -- with Bond -- running from them again as an adult in the PTS. A mirroring, a layering, reaffirming for us (the audience) her greatest fear of taking up a life with Bond -- that she herself demonstrated, in "I can't go back to this life" -- they'll always need to be a step ahead of danger, of villainy. The thing she's tried so hard to run from follows her, her whole life. The spectre of death.

-Establishing this early also gives them an opportunity to avoid/subvert the too-obvious OHMSS/Bourne Supremacy comparison. I heartily agree, Madeleine is going nowhere in terms of character death -- at least certainly not quickly, or easily. That's too simple. And then it also runs dangerously close to being a Taken movie, if Bond is out to avenge her. He's already done that. Craig's played it. He's been vocally grateful about being done with the Vesper story. Why would he want to do a version of it again? That's not exactly going out with a "bang."

-Side note: I'm realizing now that "Let's go out with a bang" probably could/should have fit as Bond's final line in Pierce's final Bond film. ;)

-Final point: we've heard a great deal about the filmmakers wanting to increase the prominence of female roles in the story. I can think of no better way to do that than to not only bring Lea back, but make her a central part of the film. What a clever and powerful approach to subvert one of the most classic Bond tropes in a forward-looking way. It's a powerful statement. "No. A female 007 lead is not disposable. She's not just interchanged for a new lead in the next film. This is a major character in Bond's life. With real equity. She's part of his story. He loves her. She's going nowhere." I love that.

Apologies for the lengthy post. But I'm hyped today!
    QBranch wrote: »
    The gun barrel
    opens on the young girl, and it is the masked assassin aiming at her.

who knows really? i suppose it could work.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,185
    The gun barrel
    opens on the young girl instead of Bond, and it is the masked assassin aiming at her.

:))
    Can't wait to see her shooting pose, you think she'll go down on one knee like Lazenby did?

Potential for an interesting Casino Royale callback if...
    ...the PTS ended with the gunbarrel as Bond becomes "Bond" again, heading back to MI6 -- and then graphically transitions right into the main title sequence.

If the gun barrel doesnt open the film i will be very upset, regardless to how great film end up. Thats how much it means to me and other bond fans. It's a thrilling moment and special when you go see a bond movie, its what makes you realise your here for a 007 movie, not a generic action flick. But im sure it will return if it did in spectre.

Yes I understand the gun barrel could still take place, but i dont see how it would fit in well if its a flashback without bond appearing. The fact that this sequence is a flashback is bothersome to me anyway. dont think flashbacks fit well for bond films.

Some of us here think it is NOT a flashback - check the SPOILER posts on last 2 pages - but it is a scene set in the past which segues to the present, just as the GE opening was set in the past, and then jumped to the present (in that case, after the titles).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    00Agent wrote: »
    The gun barrel

:))
    Can't wait to see her shooting pose, you think she'll go down on one knee like Lazenby did?
    Haha, I didn't mean that she would walk out and turn/pose, but be running away from the camera.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,921
    bondsum wrote: »
    My money is on ….

Agree 100% - dreams and nightmare sequences are not in the style of Bond - the scene is a real character/action scene which will have dramatic meaning later on…
    And I think it strongly suggests Swann will have a major role in the film and not, as some have suggested, just set her up to be killed off. There is far more suspense and jeopardy to have Bond having to protect the woman he loves from her past than simply sending him off on another personal revenge mission (a repeat of the Vesper arc) which we have seen before in various forms. I think the filmmakers, and certainly Cary, are smarter than that, and they know Lea offers so much more than she was given in SP.

Not saying a nightmare/dream is likely, just positing it as a way to get young Madeleine and present-day Malek in the same scene. I suppose Malek could be playing both father and son in two time periods but that would make things more convoluted...
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 416
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Potential for an interesting Casino Royale callback if...
    ...the PTS ended with the gunbarrel as Bond becomes "Bond" again, heading back to MI6 -- and then graphically transitions right into the main title sequence.

thats a very good idea and would be cool, but i still prefer gun barrels opening the film with the circles across the screen. However, everyone is assuming daniel craig isnt working for mi6 just becuase he threw is gun and went off with madaline. doesnt mean he quit. He could be just on holiday, on his honeymoon or something
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,343
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    My money is on ….

Plausible.

My feeling is….

I think you're bang-on here, @ColonelSun. Adding a few thoughts of my own:

-If they're leaning hard into continuing SPECTRE's characters and story, and I believe they are, it makes sense entirely that the remaining splinters of the organization would be just as interested in vengeance against Madeleine as they would Bond. She led him to Blofeld's lair, as did her father. They're as responsible for its destruction as the secret service agent who shot the fuel tanks.

-I love the duality in the idea of the PTS split between Madeleine running from SPECTRE killers (we assume) as a child, and then -- with Bond -- running from them again as an adult in the PTS. A mirroring, a layering, reaffirming for us (the audience) her greatest fear of taking up a life with Bond -- that she herself demonstrated, in "I can't go back to this life" -- they'll always need to be a step ahead of danger, of villainy. The thing she's tried so hard to run from follows her, her whole life. The spectre of death.

-Establishing this early also gives them an opportunity to avoid/subvert the too-obvious OHMSS/Bourne Supremacy comparison. I heartily agree, Madeleine is going nowhere in terms of character death -- at least certainly not quickly, or easily. That's too simple. And then it also runs dangerously close to being a Taken movie, if Bond is out to avenge her. He's already done that. Craig's played it. He's been vocally grateful about being done with the Vesper story. Why would he want to do a version of it again? That's not exactly going out with a "bang."

-Side note: I'm realizing now that "Let's go out with a bang" probably could/should have fit as Bond's final line in Pierce's final Bond film. ;)

-Final point: we've heard a great deal about the filmmakers wanting to increase the prominence of female roles in the story. I can think of no better way to do that than to not only bring Lea back, but make her a central part of the film. What a clever and powerful approach to subvert one of the most classic Bond tropes in a forward-looking way. It's a powerful statement. "No. A female 007 lead is not disposable. She's not just interchanged for a new lead in the next film. This is a major character in Bond's life. With real equity. She's part of his story. He loves her. She's going nowhere." I love that.

Apologies for the lengthy post. But I'm hyped today!

100% agreed. This sums up my feelings and ideas perfectly. Thanks.

Having said that the video of this
    masked man chasing the little girl
    is really impressive and quite scary.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m sure whatever the scene is, it’ll play out better than most of the suggestions on here.