CLOSED

Comments

Wow that’s a major blow for the US Aviation industry and Boeing !
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Active shooter/s at two Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    News still coming through. Multiple wounded and dead. Still active at this time.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459

Actually two mosques so far, not just one ... and the police have only one person in custody. They are now looking for others who may be involved. Area is shut down; all advised to remain home.

Now: Police ask ALL mosques throughout New Zealand to shut their doors now (until further notice from police).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Do we have anybody from there on here? I have a Facebook friend from one of my Titanic groups who lives there. He's okay as of now.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I'm from New Zealand. But live in Auckland.

Unbelievable, unprecedented, heartbreaking.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,721
    four people arrested. One person named. Possibly dozens killed.
    Apparently a shooter live streamed the attack on Facebook for nearly twenty minutes on a go pro.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    The attacker they identified - posted a video and wrote a manifesto. It was obviously an anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim attack. If there are four people involved then it's a conspiracy and they should be tried as terrorists.

Horrific. Would like to say I never thought it would happen here but terrorism and violence knows no boundaries.
    My thoughts are with you @Major_Boothroyd.
    My thoughts are with you @Major_Boothroyd.

Thank you @PropertyOfALady

It's not something we've dealt with before - the regular police don't carry weapons, the hospital staff would only have had to deal with this during the 2011 earthquake which devastated the city. Guns are scarce in this country. I believe Automatic rifles are banned so they've circumvented that to perform this attack. New Zealand has only suffered one terrorist attack before (the rainbow warrior bombing) and nothing on this scale.
    Yeah, that's what my Christchurch friend said.

There will undoubtedly be a large investigation into how these people got around the strict gun laws and were able to do this. As the world, I just don't see why we can't all get along. What causes people to say, "Oh, I should go get a gun and shoot some people up!" It's just so irrational to me. I would never have those thoughts.
    The thing is New Zealand doesn't have the volatile immigration situation that countries as close as even Australia have. Perhaps the national security forces haven't taken white supremacist emergence as seriously as they have Muslims extremists.
    Absolutely disgusting act of terrorism. Children amongst those confirmed killed, in this horrific act.
    I would ask that the name or photo of this terrotist not be posted.
    Not to protect him, but scum like this don’t deserve the attention for such a dispicable crime, that they often crave.
    My thoughts to all those in New Zealand.
    Benny wrote: »

My thoughts exactly @Benny - However, the victims' names will not be forgotten.

We will be stronger, more compassionate than ever.

Our Prime Minister said it best that New Zealand had been chosen by the attacker because it is seen as safe and free. And that "while the terrorist chose us. We reject and utterly condemn you."

My thoughts are with the Muslim community of New Zealand and especially Christchurch.

Not New Zealand now as well .
    The world is truly going bloody mad,it’s turning into a ‘free for all ‘.
    Absolutely disgusting act of terrorism. Children amongst those confirmed killed, in this horrific act.
    Not to protect him, but scum like this don’t deserve the attention for such a dispicable crime, that they often crave.

I disagree. We live in a world with a stereotypical, black and white depiction of what a terrorist looks like. People need to know that white men can be just as much of a threat.
    jobo wrote: »

I disagree. We live in a world with a stereotypical, black and white depiction of what a terrorist looks like. People need to know that white men can be just as much of a threat.

Interesting point. My first emotional reaction was to believe that while he should be discussed he shouldn't be named or shown, certainly not on here as it's a bit of a haven for me. But on reflection you are correct in so much as this bloke wasn't a random shooter without agenda.

He was politically and racially motivated - there are others being questioned which would mean he may be part of a terrorist conspiracy. Either way - he has put out a 87 page manifesto and live streamed the attack on Facebook. He will get plenty of air time across all media.

Only two terrorist attacks I know of in New Zealand - both committed by white people. first was a foreign government sanctioned action and now the second aligned with white supremacy.

49 people dead. One person charged with murder will appear in court tomorrow. Three people being questioned.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I completely agree, @Benny. It has been shown that lack of media coverage or attention deprives terrorists of that which they crave the most.

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families. This is terrible.
    This was an act of pure evil. Were the terrorists killed or apprehended?
    This was an act of pure evil. Were the terrorists killed or apprehended?

Apprehended. One man will appear In court tomorrow apparently. Three others being questioned in connection.
    Obviously a horrible event. The way this guy has exploited social media is pretty scary. Like some form of 70's fictional drama, we now live in a non-fiction culture where mass murder is broadcast live and it's a very hard debate regarding how the media and wider society deals with the media created from the attack. I've already seen small clips/screen grabs on display on mainstream news sites and that did surprise me. We also need to consider how it will effect future generations. As we speak, kids at my local school could be watching these clips, something that my generation never had to cope with.

I don't disagree with you @jobo by all means, this terrorist is a 28 year old white Australian. However his name and photo need not be known. He doesn't deserve the press. The 49 innocent people he murdered their names should be known.
    But we deserve a free press. If we start to make inroads into our right's re free speech and the ability to know basic facts regarding these event's, then they have won. It's a hard balance and we don't need all of the gory details but a press blackout re the names of murderers does not work and simply a kneejerk reaction. In addition to a free press, open justice is also a key principle of liberal democracies around the World. Are we to consider closed courts where we see nothing of the trial?
    The killer identified in his manifesto the usual right wing heroes - could name them, but you could probably guess them. Including other mass murderers, war criminals and some current political leaders.

My hope is it results in more Pakeha, Maori and Polynesian people reaching out and embracing Muslim and immigrant communities. We certainly need to unify and make sure we call out hateful rhetoric. And that we challenge the more subtle, insidious islamaphobia and xenophobia we see and hear on a regular basis.
    The world has to understand the importance of this. It deserves just as extensive coverage as what we get when Al Quaida or ISIS are behind the act. There are several right wing extremists with similar views around. We cannot afford to tone this down as freak, one off occurance. It has to be taken seriously.

As a Norwegian I can relate a lot to this. We have a similarly peaceful, small country where terrorist attacks like these were basically inconcievable. When it happened it turned to be from a white, right wing extremist. He acted alone, but the scary truth is that we know some people were in support of his actions. In this case we know for a fact many people were involved. Are they part of a network? Will they inspire people of similar views around to comit new attacks?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited March 2019 Posts: 1,318
    I watched a bit of 'the video'. Wish I hadn't.

What possessed you to do that?

Agreed @jobo - I think the killer's manifesto is a call to arms for other right wing extremists. But I think White supremacy extremism has been underestimated, certainly in NZ, compared to left wing and Muslim extremism.

After this I hope the national security forces hunt down these white supremacist hate groups that have seemed to sprung out of nowhere. NZ National Front type groups have existed before - often in the South Island - but they've been small and fairly insignificant. This kind of orchestrated and organised 'operation' is alarming and utterly unique in the country's history.

Agreed @jobo - I think the killer's manifesto is a call to arms for other right wing extremists. But I think White supremacy extremism has been underestimated, certainly in NZ, compared to left wing and Muslim extremism.

After this I hope the national security forces hunt down these white supremacist hate groups that have seemed to sprung out of nowhere. NZ National Front type groups have existed before - often in the South Island - but they've been small and fairly insignificant. This kind of orchestrated and organised 'operation' is alarming and utterly unique in the country's history.

I don´t think it has sprung out of nowhere. Right wing politics, of different radical stature is on the rise almost everywhere around the globe, and has been for some time. That it eventually would lead to extremism and violence shouldn´t come as a huge shock. But, as you say, it is about time we start taking it seriously.

I don´t think it has sprung out of nowhere. Right wing politics, of different radical stature is on the rise almost everywhere around the globe, and has been for some time. That it eventually would lead to extremism and violence shouldn´t come as a huge shock. But, as you say, it is about time we start taking it seriously.

Sprung out of nowhere in NZ.
This discussion has been closed.