CLOSED

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Butina is a major breakthrough, yes. Confirms much. NRA totally involved with Ruaaia for influencing the election and GOP. More details will come out. This thread is fairly succinct and clear.

There is just so much happening in U.S. politics that I'm trying not to post on everything. But a lot of progress is being made now, fortunately.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, the funny thing is even if you wanted to post everything, I doubt you could - I try to keep my eye out on U.S. politics daily, as often as possible, but on certain days (like today for example), it seems like there's 100 different news stories an hour and I know I'm missing and overlooking a bunch.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Creasy47, there is basically ONE story with many permutations: We are killing ourselves. The fascist corporate rulers need to be corralled, climate change needs to be addressed (okay, not halted- that's not possible now, but ADDRESSED), and war needs to be replaced with other forms of gain (solar energy, wind, water)..... the Old White Men in the driver's seat need to be retired.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    There is one thing that I would wish everyone to keep in mind: The Strasbourg assassin was a native of Strasbourg, albeit with Moroccan ancestors, and not a recent refugee. The impulse to blame it all on the refugees is therefore misdirected. What one should criticise is colonialism, in this case French colonialism, that made all people in those colonies French citizens - while relegating them to cheap housing projects and a life in poverty, rather than accepting them as a part of French society. While it is true that this does not excuse anything ultimately, there is no valid reasoning for using refugees as scapegoats for this atrocity, which - again - this undoubtedly is.

to be more precise: blame those who forced countries that were definately not ready to become independent, and give their citizens the choice to 'stay' (in this case) French or 'become' (in this case) Marokkan. Instead of giving them the chance to develop under guidence they were thrown into the world and then, out of guild, put on a money-drip. Making the countries as corrupt as can be.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, @Creasy47 - it is all snowballing. Several issues for the U.S., and important ones, seem to have news every week. So I'm trying to mostly let it go as far as reporting here. Much is happening and progress is being made. I'm satisfied at this point that Trump will not be let off the hook now. As I thought a long time ago, I believe the money laundering will be a major factor. There is so much corruption, in many areas, but he can be nailed for that. New York will be proceeding no matter what. I am more hopeful for 2019, as long as war can be averted (one never knows to what lengths Trump will go). Our system is making progress, but still ... some evil continues unabated. The terrorizing and cruelty towards refugees, asylum seekers, immigrants (children and adults) must be stopped asap, though. That is ongoing, even increased, and is beyond sickening. Many sources to read about this. So I will only leave a few other things here.

And, on a positive note, this:
    edited December 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Gee council-er Mueller,
    we're really upset.
    Don didn't get the love that every child ought to get.
    It's not that he's evil; he's misunderstood,
    Deep down inside of him there's *coughevilcoughcough...*
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Gee council-er Mueller,
    we're really upset.
    Don didn't get the love that every child ought to get.
    It's not that he's evil; he's misunderstood,
    Deep down inside of him there's *coughevilcoughcough...*

He's no good, he's no good, he's no earthly good
    The whole Trumpy family's no goddamn good.

(I played a Jet once in a high school production of West Side Story. I caught the reference right away. Gee, President Trumpy -- TRUMP YOU!)
    And people ask me why I prefer to take the train :

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/gatwick-airport-drones-gbr-intl/index.html

Where's Bond when we need him ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looks like another one bites the dust for the Trump administration: Defense Secretary James Mattis will step down in February 2019.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 12,459
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 19,339
    A new year...same old shit,hotel under attack by militant al-shabab group :

_105192025_nairobi_hotel_blasts_640-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46880375
    Well, Westerners are not behind when it comes to senseless killings :

https://bbc.com/news/world-europe-46867286

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Of course the good politicians die, the ones that are evil live to win elections (Brazil)
    The hijacker is demanding the aircraft turn for Afghanistan.
  • Okay, so this isn't about another terrorist attack or an airplane hijacking... but it's definitely world events and something more of us need to be thinking about: https://www.salon.com/2019/01/22/what-happens-if-putin-wins-michael-mcfaul-on-the-end-of-the-liberal-international-order/
    barryt007 wrote: »

any updates?
  • barryt007 wrote: »

any updates?

The plane made an emergency landing in western Siberia. The "hijacker" was drunk and has been detained. All is well, pay no attention to the reported emergency. In the meanwhile, Donald Trump is still keeping the American government hostage to his demand for $5.7 billion, allegedly to build a wall the majority of Americans do not want, possibly at the behest of Vladimir Putin. In other words, business as usual. Carry on...
    Opposition seizing power in Venezuela. The start of a more stable future? Just another dictator? Or civil war?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46980913
  • Opposition seizing power in Venezuela. The start of a more stable future? Just another dictator? Or civil war?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46980913

Doesn't look like either side is going to just back down. Looks like civil war to... oh, I'm sorry, we've stopped talking about Trump? Never mind...
    So much winning. I mean, losing. Hahahahahahahah!!! At least Carver had a stealth ship...
    Trump had a fun day, that's for sure. No wall, opening up government (at least for the short run).
    And more and more people get caught and send to court by Mueller and are willing to talk shop in order to escape serious prison time. Mueller does his job well and takes his time unlike his president who blames everything and anybody for anything he does wrong.
  • jbohoh7jbohoh7 Jet Skiing into Atlantis
    jbohoh7 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but 'If you're not biased' and then posting the most fact-free Trump-adoring piece of drivel? Let's look at the facts.
    The first statement is that the economy in the US started booming when Trump got his presidency. Fact? Negative, he got to power in 2016, the economy (and stock market) had already been booming for 4 (!) years, you know under the Obama admin. If you actually care for the numbers:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_States#21st_century

And I guess you've also missed the fact that the stockmarkets took a historic plunge in december 2018. Januari has had a positive result, that's good. But it's far from the Trump-magic this 'well informed' writer states. Unemployment in Canada may be around 5,6 percent, in the US it's about 4. That's definately NOT 'almost 50%' difference. It doesn't work like that in percentages, and even if it did he'd be off bij about 25%. 'The rest of the world is off green energy'? Really? That's odd, then Europe, China, Indonesia are all not parts of the world anymore? Becouse here we're full on going for the Paris agreement.
    By the by you may also have noted that the trade-war and government shutdown haven't helped the American economy. Numbers of new jobs AND first-time request for unemployments benefits have risen sharply. The big question is (also) how the current extreme cold will affect the US economy. We'll see that next month.

Another interesting fact is that the unemployment in Canada is at an all time low, compared to the one in the US going slightly up (due to forementioned reasons), but more interestingly the unemployment in the US has Always been (from the 1960's) a few percent point lower then in Canada.

This Lawrence Solomon doesn't know his arse from his elbow, that's for sure, comparing apples with oranges. Playing into negative emotions whilst the country is doing better then ever before.

Whatever side you're on, perhaps it's time to actually stick to the facts. It really isn't that hard to fact-check these people.
  • jbohoh7jbohoh7 Jet Skiing into Atlantis
    edited February 2019 Posts: 65

I'm sorry, but 'If you're not biased' and then posting the most fact-free Trump-adoring piece of drivel? Let's look at the facts.
    The first statement is that the economy in the US started booming when Trump got his presidency. Fact? Negative, he got to power in 2016, the economy (and stock market) had already been booming for 4 (!) years, you know under the Obama admin. If you actually care for the numbers:

And I guess you've also missed the fact that the stockmarkets took a historic plunge in december 2018. Januari has had a positive result, that's good. But it's far from the Trump-magic this 'well informed' writer states. Unemployment in Canada may be around 5,6 percent, in the US it's about 4. That's definately NOT 'almost 50%' difference. It doesn't work like that in percentages, and even if it did he'd be off bij about 25%. 'The rest of the world is off green energy'? Really? That's odd, then Europe, China, Indonesia are all not parts of the world anymore? Becouse here we're full on going for the Paris agreement.
    By the by you may also have noted that the trade-war and government shutdown haven't helped the American economy. Numbers of new jobs AND first-time request for unemployments benefits have risen sharply. The big question is (also) how the current extreme cold will affect the US economy. We'll see that next month.

Another interesting fact is that the unemployment in Canada is at an all time low, compared to the one in the US going slightly up (due to forementioned reasons), but more interestingly the unemployment in the US has Always been (from the 1960's) a few percent point lower then in Canada.

This Lawrence Solomon doesn't know his arse from his elbow, that's for sure, comparing apples with oranges. Playing into negative emotions whilst the country is doing better then ever before.

Whatever side you're on, perhaps it's time to actually stick to the facts. It really isn't that hard to fact-check these people.

You are entitled to your beliefs/opinions. Difference between your opinion and Mr. Solomon's is that someone is actually gettin Paid for posting their OPINION. Unless, of course, you do work for the News Media (Newsday, perhaps), or getting paid to post here.

You are entitled to your beliefs/opinions. Difference between your opinion and Mr. Solomon's is that someone is actually gettin Paid for posting their OPINION. Unless, of course, you do work for the News Media (Newsday, perhaps), or getting paid to post here.

The fact that someone is getting paid to utter opinions doesn't say anything about them, their quality, their intelligence. The radio hosts who called upon the Hutu's to start murdering the Tutsi's were getting paid to share their opinions, and what good did that do? I just showed you the facts. But I have no doubt even this post will prove to you that this Mr. Solomon is right and I'm wrong, because he's thinking what you're thinking (and getting paid for it, wow!) and I'm just someone on the internet you've never met and know absolutely nothing about, or what I'm getting paid for, so Solomon is right and I'm no doubt to your mind a communist.

Fact is that Mr. Solomon is lying. The start of the economic boost in the US is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact and it started way before Trump. If you like it or not China is currently moving away from fossil fuels at a speed twice as fast as any other country. European nations, notably the northern ones, are fast moving into renewables. This says nothing about my or your political colour, these are facts and Mr. Solomon is denying those facts. Then it's not opniion anymore, it's lying. And in the olden days he'd have lost his job because of it.

I don't have beliefs, they're for the scared people. I have opinions on what works best in this world, but I'm far more calculating then you'd ever expect. Two months ago I had a bill pass in our government through very hard work, which will at least protect our democracy a bit more. What's your political experience? The fact that you in North America accept these fact free statements at face value is the biggest risk to your democracies.

This discussion has been closed.