CLOSED

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    The timing of when the White House got info is interesting. Looking at Trump's tweets.
    Anyway, here is this:

And Trump's take on the suspect being a rabid Trump supporter who pushed all the conspiracy theories ... is that he doesn't know about that, because his photo was not on the fan ... (seriously, you cannot make this stuff up).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It would help if you would post some news from around the world, Thunderfinger. Go on, you can find something. :)

Latest thing I heard before the arrest, from MSNCB, was that it might very possibly be the Russians who were behind it.
    Yes, this suspect has very slight connection to Russian mob in south Florida, based on one of his posts on social media. Probably nothing to it; not the point here.
    We'll just let this whole story play out. At least for now, I think we have enough to say it is being handled.
    The fingerprint matches.

And good point here:

And another of Trump's so very presidential comments here:

Happy for other world news events to get posted. Looking forward to some. Sorry that the U.S. is such a mess right now; much is newsworthy in America (and most not good news) but I'd like to hear about what else is happening in the world, in this thread.
    I see there are stamps on the parcel, but they aren t stamped. Is this usual in America?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2018 Posts: 17,687
    Give it up, Thunderfinger. :) Really, let's move on.
    Some pkgs mailed, some delivered. Take your conspiracy theories (I've read plenty in the last week) elsewhere, please.
    So what's good that's happening in Norway? It's such a beautiful country. You know I want to visit there. We could have a long cup of tea some day, overlooking a fjord. I'd like that.
    Some pkgs mailed, some delivered. Take your conspiracy theories (I've read plenty in the last week) elsewhere, please.
    So what's good that's happening in Norway? It's such a beautiful country. You know I want to visit there. We could have a long cup of tea some day, overlooking a fjord. I'd like that.

Please do. I live in the wrong end of the country for that, though.
    Yes, I read the island disappeared due to the recent storms.
    I'd like to hear about news from other places, too. Europe, South America, Africa, Australia, Asia, Canada, Central America. Seriously, I would.
    For fjords, not for tea.
    Any decent Norwegian beer? I'm up for that, too.

I'm going to stroll over to the Everyday Drinking thread now ... ;) Cheers!
    Any decent Norwegian beer? I'm up for that, too.

Beer isn t decent.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Please do. I live in the wrong end of the country for that, though.

By the happy tone of your posts I'd gess that would be the underside of the country, no?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,985
    chrisisall wrote: »

Antifa use 'force to silence free speech' so therefore they are fascists by their very actions. So I didn't fail did I?
    So, do you have an instance where antifa attacked FIRST? Sure, they show up to do some damage, but when have they physically started the altercations? And whom have they beaten so mercilessly that they ended up dead or crippled? Am I missing something (and don't you DARE quote Jones or Hanity to prove your point)?

'Self defence' what a crock. All Antifa can do is shout people down,
    Goodness, how terrible... it's like killing people when they do that, eh?
    Good old plain discussion they can't compete in because they don't have the intelligence.
    When did bigots get intelligent enough to reason with? That must be a new phenomena. ;)

They attack through intimidation and the use of fear, although personally I find them to be laughable, clueless and pathetic.

They cannot reason or present facts, therefore shouting over people is all they can offer.

Who are you referring to as bigoted? A 12 year old could out debate these clowns.

You seem as if you admire them. Good for you.

But hey, each to their own. It's a free country.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 17,687
    You seem as if you admire them.
    Not really, but I will admit to not being too upset when the occasional bigoted Nazi gets a knuckle sandwich. ;)
  • @CommanderRoss, a few months ago, in August to be exact I sat in the back garden with a friend and his father. My friends’ father is 99 years old and frail but with amazing endurance. They are Dutch. That 99 year old man spent 2 years hiding from the Nazis, before he was able to escape from the Netherlands and make it to America. I’ve known him for ten years and heard his story several times. That afternoon at lunch I asked him what he thought of our current President. He chuckled, and said, “Trump is a fool. People say he’s a Nazi, but (looking me in the eye and saying my name he said), let me tell you both something. I know the Nazis’, I have been as close to them as I am looking at you right now. Trump’s a () fool, but he isn’t a Nazi.” That old mans’ story is one of tremendous hardship and amazing triumph, and at 99 his mind is incredibly sharp. His son by the way is the one who recommended many years ago that I read The Nightmare Years. I’ve no doubt that those were horrible times to live through. I’ve heard it first hand from someone who endured it. As to your other question, America does quite well actually. A recent former President was of African American heritage. Women and minorities abound in leadership positions all around the country. Trump just presented the Nations’ highest Military Honor to an African American. Trump was born and raised in a part of the country where bigotry runs high and the same for the industry he worked in. His rhetoric reflects that, but yes America is still a country with great freedoms and a great future, regardless of the person in the oval office. I would be willing to bet that any number of white Americans on this forum have practiced bigotry either deliberately or inadvertently at some time in their lives. A close friend of mine who is black (close enough that I was best man at his wedding and present in his place when his first child was born because he was working overseas and delayed in getting back) once said to me, “I’d rather sit down with a man who tells me up front that he’s a bigot, than a guy who says all the right and nice things, but is just a wolf in sheep’s clothing, who lets it all hang out at the bar later with his buddies.

I have been to the Netherlands several times, people tell me it’s much nicer that what I’ve seen, I have also been to South Africa and seen that too. When the American Government falls the Constitution burns, and Trump becomes Dictator in Chief, send a text will you, I might have overslept that day.
    I would be willing to bet that any number of white Americans on this forum have practiced bigotry either deliberately or inadvertently at some time in their lives.
    This statement in particular says more about you than it potentially says about any of the rest of us IMO.
    I've always had friends of many races, and dated girls of many races, and the reason is that a friend is a friend, and a hot girl is a hot girl, regardless of anything else.
    So Trump is Nazi-Lite, same great taste, but less killing (at the present moment).
    Just give him & his pals time...
    Or not.
    I'm voting.

Not really, but I will admit to not being too upset when the occasional bigoted Nazi gets a knuckle sandwich. ;)

Ah the good old leftie tirade. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is a 'bigot/nazi/white supremacist/racist/fascist' delete where applicable.

Label and tar everyone with the same brush and hope it sticks.

Your rhetoric is tiresome and predictable.

It's why the left is losing. Yeah, they shout louder but the silent majority aren't that dumb.

I see you pick and choose what you can readily respond to on my post and ignore the rest.

I would be willing to bet that any number of white Americans on this forum have practiced bigotry either deliberately or inadvertently at some time in their lives.
    This statement in particular says more about you than it potentially says about any of the rest of us IMO.
    I've always had friends of many races, and dated girls of many races, and the reason is that a friend is a friend, and a hot girl is a hot girl, regardless of anything else.
    So Trump is Nazi-Lite, same great taste, but less killing (at the present moment).
    Just give him & his pals time...
    Or not.
    I'm voting.

And there it is. Take a tiny part of Legionnaire's post, a long post thats actually thoughtful and intelligent and ignore the rest because it doesn't sit with your agenda.
    The big picture here however is that so many of America's current problems are down to right wing politics from the GOP. Enormous spending on military and warfare combined with increased tax cuts during the Bush administration is what created the financial crisis and the huge debts. The GOP's tactic then was to willingly boicot any chance of agreement or progress in order to increase the chances of Republican victories in the coming elections.

The GOP's stance has always been the same and is continuing with Trump: USA can afford to spend countless billions on the military and tax cuts for the rich, yet they cannot afford the bare minimum of welfare incentments like a surviveable minimum vage or decent health care for all. It is absolutely bonkers and obviously unsustainable, yet they blame any modern reform suggested by the democrats for the national debt. That the working class and vast number of people living off minimum vage will suffer as a consequence is a given, yet those poor people that would desperately need to vote in favour of basic welfare and a fairer tax reform are actually brainwashed into beleiwing that tax cuts for the rich is the solution to their problems. That is the really sad part.

It is labelled as a politically hostile fight between left and right. Not really. There is no existing mainstream alternative on the left in American politics. The political landscape has drifted so far into conservative dogma, that the most extreme progressive democrats are no more than slight moderates in a global political perspective. Bernie Sanders is labelled a communist in the US. In Europe he would be a moderate, slightly right leaning politicion. It is not a debate between left and right political principals, it is a debate between common 21st century sense and a country collapsing from within thanks to early 20th century, absurd capitalist principals and the rich business elite's strangle hold on opinion. Racism, hate and bigotry is only the icing on the cake, and part of the mechanism to keep people away from realizing the larger issue.

Ah the good old leftie tirade. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is a 'bigot/nazi/white supremacist/racist/fascist' delete where applicable.
    I disagree with people all of the time- most are not Nazis. You know how you can tell a Nazi? I'll make this simple: they wear swastikas, or have swastika tattoos, or they belong to a Nazi organization. NOW what will you say? Just because of that I'm being judgmental? Some really nice Christian people have swastikas tattooed to their foreheads?

Ah the good old rightie tirade. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is painting them a 'bigot/nazi/white supremacist/racist/fascist' delete where applicable. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, it looks like another tragic shooting has hit America. Trump promises a quick death penalty for the shooter.

The same Trump who is an absolute instigator of violence.

The same Trump who will not abolish guns.

The same Trump America voted for because it wanted "something else", "change", "to make America better again".

Blood was once again needlessly spilt today; and once again, the world's biggest hypocrite proudly stands, trying to work out how to turn this event into another vote draw.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Looks like there's been a whole lotta posting going on since last I had the time to come around here. I'll try to be brief whenever possible...
    All those "TRUMP 2020" bumper stickers all over his van are just false flags...

@LeonardPine, you're welcome to criticize the letter bomber any ol' time...

Is this related to my post about Antifa?

What are you getting at @BeatlesSansEarmuffs exactly?

Yes it is exactly that. If you want to criticize the violence of antifa then you should surely be willing to criticize the violence intended by a series of letterbombs sent by a Trumpoid fanatic -- unless you have no problems with widespread murder and terrorism when it's directed against the left. As @4Ever has noted, antifa simply means "anti fascist." Is it straining the bounds of reason to suppose that people who are against opposing fascism have by simple definition of the terms become the defenders of fascism?
    Only mohammedan hate speech and suppression must be allowed.

Just a Beatles reference.

You shall be enlightened soon, Dr Doom must always have the last word.

So now I'm Dr. Doom, is that it? Well hey, thanks for that! Any good actor will tell you that the villain's role is always the most fun to play! (Maybe THAT'S why Neo-Nazis have become so prevalent in certain circles.) I'll have to dig up a grey suit of armor and a green hood & cloak... those "Spirit" stores that spring up around Halloween have certainly got their uses! Still, I have no idea why you think I'm in favor of "mohammedan" hate speech. That's not a term I've used here. Care to explain yourself, or are we on to other rants by now?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,564
    @Legionnaire, thanks for your generally reasonable and thought-provoking contributions to this thread -- HOWEVER: every now & then you lay down something that brings your "reasonability" into question, such as your self-identification as "reprehensible." Or more recently, this:
    One for every Southern General who kept slaves, and then the history would be more complete. Let’s not forget Lincoln in that as well. The legend is that he freed his slaves. Actual history as recorded by his, son and his wife as well as others shows that the slaves were ‘let go’ after two years when the farm failed because Lincoln was always away practicing law all of the time, and unable to purchase the needed supplies for farming (something neither his wife or the slaves could do). Since the farm was in Missouri where the laws stated that slaves had no rights, the minute they walked off of the property they were considered runaway’s and subject to prosecution as such (so much for letting them go). History doesn’t record what happened to them afterward, I’ll leave it to you to guess.

Lincoln, a slave owner? Not in any history I've read. So a brief search on the internet unearths this: The notion is an alt-right theory that is in fact dead wrong. https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/08/abraham_lincoln_owned_slaves_1.html

And finally, Megyn Kelly has a long and noted career of racially-insensitive remarks, most of them at Fox News where such things are a bit more acceptable. I was especially...amused...by her instance that Santa Claus HAS TO BE white, and there can be no such thing as a black Santa. Speaking as somebody whose beard & stature cause him to be mistaken for The Big Guy on a regular basis around this time of year, let me just say this: Santa Claus is every race, Santa Claus is any race, Santa can be a woman as well as a man. Megyn was really being fruit-loopy with that one. But really, the bottom line on the issue of her losing her NBC show is this: her ratings once leaving Fox News were never very good, and of late they've been even lower than usual. THAT'S why she lost her show -- because she wasn't bringing in the viewers. It's the one unforgivable sin of working on television.
    Just to add something else ... if anyone on here reads twitter, Daniel Dale is interesting to follow because he live tweets from many of Trump's appearances (not just rallies, other speeches to groups).

Now he is quoting (live) Trump as the president addresses a group of young people, Future Farmers of America. Same day as the massacre in the Jewish synagogue.

It is still mind boggling to read the way this president of the United States meanders (to put it politely), just what he actually says. If you can view it live, that's fine; but I am glad TV is not covering every single speech Trump gives (or all of his rallies) any more. Many do, yes, but not as many as in the past.

Anyway, here is a thread now on twitter you can click into (scroll up/down) to see Trump's words. On a variety of subjects.

And that's all for now. Plenty of media coverage on the disgusting evil shootings and bombs that were sent. Plenty on anti-Semitism and how the far right uses it. Trump's ongoing attempts to change laws and policies, all of that. But I just wanted to leave you with this additional glimpse today.

Sorry, I should add a new update on the shooting in the Jewish synagogue. 11 now dead. And I think you have probably read some of Trump's responses by now, so I will just leave this here.

This actually IS the Twilight Zone....
  • Bizarro World. Sometimes in the Twilight Zone you get a cute, ironic ending. Bizarro World has everything just upside down, inside out and wrongWRONGWRONG.
This discussion has been closed.