Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Thank you gentlemen, I’ll definitely check it out .
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 , be warned: it’s not a pleasant film, lol!

@Creasy47 I LOVED Mute!!! Thought it was wonderful and heartbreaking!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »

@Creasy47 I LOVED Mute!!! Thought it was wonderful and heartbreaking!

Awesome! I genuinely thought I was the only one, glad that's not the case.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MUTE is excellent. One wonders sometimes what's driving people to destroy great movies for nothing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MUTE is excellent. One wonders sometimes what's driving people to destroy great movies for nothing.

I think there’s a bias in the critical elite that somehow Netflix films aren’t real films.

But theatrical distribution has changed: everything is about IP, built in audiences and franchise potential.

Netflix is making the mid-budget projects we don’t see much of anymore. It allows writers and directors a venue to get out what the larger studios don’t bother producing anymore.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    W. (2008)
    bP3HTOQ.jpg

I just completed my first viewing of this Oliver Stone directed pseudo biopic of the 43rd US president. The film thankfully isn’t a straight chronology of his years in power, which included a disastrous war (supported by both parties) based on lies, and culminated in a financial disaster unlike any other we’ve seen in modern times. Rather the film attempts to inform us about how Junior (Josh Brolin) found his way after a youth misspent drinking and aimlessly wondering through jobs. Young W’s behaviour provides much disappointment to Bush 41 (played by the always excellent James Cromwell), who constantly has to bail his wayward son out of trouble and lecture him on the importance of maintaining the Bush legacy. Why can’t he be more like ‘responsible Jeb’, the elder Bush intones on more than one occasion. Somewhere along the way, Junior meets and falls in love with Laura (Elizabeth Banks) and miraculously finds purpose through religion after having an epiphany. The newly motivated Bush, God by his side, first assists his father to win the presidency and then later, against the odds, beats the popular Democratic incumbent Ann Richards to become governor of Texas. After two successful terms in that position, he then wins the presidency twice, and the rest as they say, is history.

Josh Brolin does a wonderful job here. His mannerisms and body language are very reminiscent of W. He also manages to make the man somewhat sympathetic, although we also never really lose sight that he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed either. What Bush lacks in smarts, he more than makes up with his idealism, relentless tenacity, ambition and strength of purpose. Marry that with keen political instincts, skillfully managed by Karl Rove (Toby Jones), and a powerful family name, and you have a man who is destined for high office. Underlying all of it however is a desire for recognition from his father, who may have prioritized his more thoughtful younger son over his older, more emotional one.

Stone skillfully straddles the line between all out farce and drama. The film doesn’t attempt to take sides in this controversial presidency. Rather, it traces important events in Bush’s life which shaped him. If there is a criticism, it’s that one feels that it’s a film peeking in from the outside. The man himself remains an enigma. There is also very little attention devoted to 9/11, and none to the financial crisis, which occurred after this film had completed production. Worth a watch, but it’s far from Stone’s best. The film boasts an excellent supporting cast which includes Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Richard Dreyfuss, Ellen Burstyn, Ioan Gruffold and Bruce McGill.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »
    W. (2008)
    bP3HTOQ.jpg

I just completed my first viewing of this Oliver Stone directed pseudo biopic of the 43rd US president. The film thankfully isn’t a straight chronology of his years in power, which included a disastrous war (supported by both parties) based on lies, and culminated in a financial disaster unlike any other we’ve seen in modern times. Rather the film attempts to inform us about how Junior (Josh Brolin) found his way after a youth misspent drinking and aimlessly wondering through jobs. Young W’s behaviour provides much disappointment to Bush 41 (played by the always excellent James Cromwell), who constantly has to bail his wayward son out of trouble and lecture him on the importance of maintaining the Bush legacy. Why can’t he be more like ‘responsible Jeb’, the elder Bush intones on more than one occasion. Somewhere along the way, Junior meets and falls in love with Laura (Elizabeth Banks) and miraculously finds purpose through religion after having an epiphany. The newly motivated Bush, God by his side, first assists his father to win the presidency and then later, against the odds, beats the popular Democratic incumbent Ann Richards to become governor of Texas. After two successful terms in that position, he then wins the presidency twice, and the rest as they say, is history.

Josh Brolin does a wonderful job here. His mannerisms and body language are very reminiscent of W. He also manages to make the man somewhat sympathetic, although we also never really lose sight that he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed either. What Bush lacks in smarts, he more than makes up with his idealism, relentless tenacity, ambition and strength of purpose. Marry that with keen political instincts, skillfully managed by Karl Rove (Toby Jones), and a powerful family name, and you have a man who is destined for high office. Underlying all of it however is a desire for recognition from his father, who may have prioritized his more thoughtful younger son over his older, more emotional one.

Stone skillfully straddles the line between all out farce and drama. The film doesn’t attempt to take sides in this controversial presidency. Rather, it traces important events in Bush’s life which shaped him. If there is a criticism, it’s that one feels that it’s a film peeking in from the outside. The man himself remains an enigma. There is also very little attention devoted to 9/11, and none to the financial crisis, which occurred after this film had completed production. Worth a watch, but it’s far from Stone’s best. The film boasts an excellent supporting cast which includes Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Richard Dreyfuss, Ellen Burstyn, Ioan Gruffold and Bruce McGill.

Glad to hear you liked it. It’s a of a controversial opinion but I think the films a masterpiece.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @JamesBondKenya, your comments on another thread actually inspired me to give it a viewing. I liked it, although to a degree I feel that it seemed a bit unfinished due to missing out on the financial crisis and a lot of 9/11. I suppose it would have been very difficult to pack all that life altering history into 2.5 hours and do it justice. It wasn't quite what I expected but was entertaining and gave a bit of perspective on what motivated and informed G.W.

I hesitated for the longest time to watch this film because his presidency was a very uncomfortable and disappointing one for me. I'm glad I did though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I've been sidetracked lately, but I finally got around to finishing off my Carry On marathon... season.... whatever you'd call it. I'm not going to bother with Columbus, I don't count that one, which just left me with two last films:

ENGLAND - I've always enjoyed the contributions to the series from Kenneth Connor and Joan Sims (the true queen of the Carry On films as far as i'm concerned), and the film isn't quite as bad as it is often made out to be. Also, Windsor Davis is a bonus. Though I will always think of Grand Slam when I think of him.

EMMANNUELLE - Nothing can save this awful... awful... misguided final entry in the series. All the regulars (the ones still present) look out of place and it just isn't funny. It's a shame that further films never got of the ground (I know of at least two that were planned, one set down under, and a Dynasty parody).

1. Carry On Cleo (1964)
    2. Carry On Dick (1974)
    3. Carry On Henry (1971)
    4. Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)
    5. Carry On Behind
    6. Carry On Abroad (1972)
    7. Carry On Don't Lose Your Head (1966)
    8. Carry On Up The Khyber (1968)
    9. Carry On Regardless (1961)
    10. Carry On Camping (1969)
    11. Carry On Loving (1970)
    12. Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)
    13. Carry On Cowboy (1965)
    14. Carry On Cruising (1962)
    15. Carry On Teacher (1960)
    16. Carry On Matron (1971)
    17. Carry On Sergeant (1958)
    18. Carry On Girls (1972)
    19. Carry On Doctor (1967)
    20. Carry On Screaming (1966)
    21 Carry On Again Doctor (1969)
    22. Carry On Cabby (1963)
    23. Carry On Nurse (1959)
    24. Carry On Constable (1960)
    ***25. Carry On England (1976)***
    26. Carry On Spying (1964)
    27. Carry On Jack (1963)
    28. Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)
    ***29. Carry On Emmannuelle (1978)***

• edited October 2018 Posts: 17,293
    The Parallax View (1974)
    Wanted to watch a 70's flick yesterday, and downloaded The Parallax View from Google Play. Having seen Alan J. Pakula's Klute (1971) earlier this year, I was interested to see if this one was just as good.

It's a good 1970s conspiracy thriller, with some nice cinematography making the film fittingly scary in certain parts. It does however lack some major thrills in the last half. Might need to watch it again to see if it's a film that grows on you, but I prefer Klute. I've never watched Pakula's next film All the President's Men (1976) before, and will do so on a later occasion.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    !

I'll brace myself. ;)

The Parallax View (1974)
    Wanted to watch a 70's flick yesterday, and downloaded The Parallax View from Google Play. Having seen Alan J. Pakula's Klute (1971) earlier this year, I was interested to see if this one was just as good.

It's a good 1970s conspiracy thriller, with some nice cinematography making the film fittingly scary in certain parts. It does however lack some major thrills in the last half. Might need to watch it again to see if it's a film that grows on you, but I prefer Klute. I've never watched Pakula's next film All the President's Men (1976) before, and will do so on a later occasion.

I didn't care for The Parallax View or Klute.
    All The President's Men however is great! Grandaddy of conspiracy movies.
    The Parallax View (1974)

I didn't care for The Parallax View or Klute.
    All The President's Men however is great! Grandaddy of conspiracy movies.

All the President's Men also has the advantage of being based on real events! Quite liked Klute myself, but it's a film that's not for everyone, I guess.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    !

I'll brace myself. ;)

Once you see it @talos7 , I can't wait to discuss, amongst other oddities and discomforts, the husband and wife and their relationship... There is also the supernatural that @Creasy47 has brought up... You have a very strong perspective on film Talos, so it'd be interesting to hear your perspective. Most of the time I agree with you, but even when I don't, I still don't disagree with you-- does that make sense, lol!

Lots to discuss-- and maybe needs its own thread?

• edited October 2018 Posts: 6,820
    The Parallax View (1974)

The Parallax View is excellent. I disagree about the second half thrills. It builds beautifully to a nail bitng finish! And you didn't mention the wonderful visit to Tthe Parallax building where Beatty character is put through the test! Really well put together sequence!
    Klute is a more sombre affair. But I always have time for Donald Sutherland and Jane Fonda is quite superb in it!
    All The Presidents Men is well worth seeing!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Parallax View (1974)

The Parallax View is excellent. I disagree about the second half thrills. It builds beautifully to a nail bitng finish! And you didn't mention the wonderful visit to Tthe Parallax building where Beatty character is put through the test! Really well put together sequence!
    Klute is a more sombre affair. But I always have time for Donald Sutherland and Jane Fonda is quite superb in it!
    All The Presidents Men is well worth seeing!

I enjoyed the climax of The Parallax View, although on first viewing, it feels like the first half is more action oriented than the second half - a slight shift of tone almost. Might feel different on a second viewing, though!

I really liked Klute for being sombre; it was quite fitting I felt. Looking forward to watching All The Presidents Men eventually!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,043
    All The Presidents Men is thrilling as any action film for me.

A expertly made piece of cinema that thrills time after time even when you are more than aware of the outcome.

I remember the way the ending is so played down and no big fireworks and the first time I saw it being disappointed initially but on repeated viewings I came to appreciate it's downplayed approach. From beginning to end just simply a masterpiece and the granddaddy of the conspiracy genre.

Hoffman and Redford are top form and the supporting cast especially Jason Robards, Jack Warden and Hal Holbrook are magnificent, never tire of it one bit.

The shot where Woodwood and Bernstein are in the Library of Congress going through the receipts and the camera keeps pulling out with David Shire's sublte but very effective score is just masterful.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    All The Presidents Men is thrilling as any action film for me.

A expertly made piece of cinema that thrills time after time even when you are more than aware of the outcome.

I remember the way the ending is so played down and no big fireworks and the first time I saw it being disappointed initially but on repeated viewings I came to appreciate it's downplayed approach. From beginning to end just simply a masterpiece and the granddaddy of the conspiracy genre.

Hoffman and Redford are top form and the supporting cast especially Jason Robards, Jack Warden and Hal Holbrook are magnificent, never tire of it one bit.

The shot where Woodwood and Bernstein are in the Library of Congress going through the receipts and the camera keeps pulling out with David Shire's sublte but very effective score is just masterful.

It really feels like a must-see. It's been on my list of films to watch for quite some time now, so should probably just do so!
    Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992). I absolutely love these movies, and it was awesome to watch as a double feature. Great stuff.
    Tremors - what a great little movie with a perfect cast and just about a great and funny little creature feature.
    Christian Bale triple bill over the weekend :

91Pfwld6ZgL._RI_.jpg

71ZETE9CTRL._SY679_.jpg

american-psycho.jpg?format=1000w
    @barryt007 interested in your thoughts of Hostiles.....
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339

Thoroughly enjoyed it,great performances by all.
    Some heavy scenes,some distressing, but it didn't have any slow parts to the film,it was spaced out well.

And the locations and the cinematography of it all was stunning,and so clear,almost as if you were there.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Some heavy scenes,some distressing, but it didn't have any slow parts to the film,it was spaced out well.

And the locations and the cinematography of it all was stunning,and so clear,almost as if you were there.

Agreed, a great modern western
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339

And I also loved the ending,when
    he gets on the train at the last minute to join the woman and the little Red Indian girl,a lovely happy ending,not many of those nowadays in films.

he gets on the train at the last minute to join the woman and the little Red Indian girl,a lovely happy ending,not many of those nowadays in films.

Aw that’s so good isn’t it. Especially since it truly makes you belive it won’t happen.

Also I wanted to cheer in the cinema when he kills the last guy, it was such a strong moment for his character

Aw that’s so good isn’t it. Especially since it truly makes you belive it won’t happen.

Also I wanted to cheer in the cinema when he kills the last guy, it was such a strong moment for his character

It was..it must have looked brilliant on the big screen,especially the scenery.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Fast & Furious 6
    Henry's crime
    Venom
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Excellent watch, not because it is among the best Dracula movies, but more to do with the era it was made. The set pieces, the photo, lighting, and above all the score add to the intriguing qualities it does have, despite its sillyness. I kept thinking Lon Chaney (who here plays the Wolfman) was a better fit as Dracula than John Carradine.

A one-time watch, though.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 2,081

It was..it must have looked brilliant on the big screen,especially the scenery.

It's definitely one of those movies that should preferably be seen in theatres - and it didn't even get to theatres in a lot of countries - mine included, but luckily for me I saw it in London when visiting in January. Got the blu-ray on another visit in August (seemed fitting to get it as a souvenir from there), should watch that...

Cold_War_Web_Main.jpg

Cold War (Zimna wojna) (2018)
    A gorgeous looking black and white movie from Pawel Pawlikowski, who won a Cannes best director award for this. (His previous movie Ida won Best Foreign Language Film Oscar a couple of years ago.) The lead Joanna Kulig is great, the cinematography and cinematic composition is on point, and there are moments of sudden humor.
    As an extra treat I saw this in a sold out 550 seat theatre, the third biggest crowd I've seen any movie with, the second biggest in theatre (the biggest of all was outdoors, 2000+ ...an extra special treat...)

image.jpg

image.jpg

e30ad52c3040ac11.jpg

wojna2_5b0471a071d405_88343217.jpg

And then to something completely different...

stby-posters.jpg

Sorry to Bother You (2018)
    I'm very happy that I managed to avoid any spoilers about this. (I recommend that route.) Very smart and funny (also chilling), and with a great cast. What a debut film from Boots Riley. I haven't seen a lot of Lakeith Stanfield before this, but he was wonderful as the lead here, as a guy trying to make a career in telemarketing (yup...), and Armie Hammer was hilarious as a CEO with no morals or respect for humans, only interested in making money. Everyone else was really good, too.
    I saw this in the same theatre as Cold War, also sold out well in advance. And, well, also in 2 a bit smaller theatres as well, equally sold out. (I figured I'd probably want to see it more than once anyway - I was correct - and I also assume it probably won't come to theatres here otherwise, so I won't get another chance, so I took advantage of the film festival screenings. Also loved that there were no subtitles, a festival bonus one can get with English language movies.

These. Two. Were. Awesome.
    sorrytobotheryoutrailerheader-thumb-700xauto-193918.png