Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Remington wrote: »
    I've been really enjoying TWINE lately myself. Denise is miscast but she's no worse than Britt Eckland or Tanya Roberts. And she's hot.

There's some dodgy dialogue but there's so much to like in this movie.
    +1

That’s all I need from a Bond Girl.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I've been really enjoying TWINE lately myself. Denise is miscast but she's no worse than Britt Eckland or Tanya Roberts. And she's hot.

+1

Precise. It's Bond, not Shakespeare.

+1

Precise. It's Bond, not Shakespeare.
    Exactly.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    I caught Spectre on TV. Watched it until the end of the Rome car chase, but I had other things to do so I left it there. Great fun. I'll watch the rest one of these days.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    A View To A Kill is my final film of my Moore bondathon. And it's been hugely enjoyable revisiting his Bond tenure over the last few days. Moore was a great Bond and did it his way. He played it lighter most of the time but could also play it serious and tough.

Enjoyed Moore's final film again and although its not as epic or action packed as OP its a good story with a decent cast. The slapstick is not as prevalent as it is in OP apart from the ill judged firetruck chase and of course the terrible use of 'California girls' in the otherwise good PTS.

Action is mostly good apart from the worst fight scene in the series when Bond and Tibbett are discovered in the warehouse. The editing is appalling. The horse race IS well edited and very well done, as is Mayday's jump from the Eiffel Tower and subsequent chase (which does get a bit silly)
    The fight at Stacey's home isn't bad and the climax is well done and memorable. For me the best scene is the escape from the fire at city hall. It's really well done and looks bloody dangerous.

Walken is a brilliant Zorin. Really coming across as unhinged as the film progresses. Grace Jones can't act but she has good physical presence and works well in the film. Patrick McNee has great chemistry with Moore and is great in the film. Poor Tanya Roberts is pretty hopeless. She looks good but the scene where she's explaining Zorin's plan, even Moore looks embarrassed!

Yet again unfussy direction from the reliable John Glen and another corker from John Barry.

Have really enjoyed revisiting Moore's tenure over a short space of time.
    About to begin FRWL here. One of the greats!
    A View To A Kill is my final film of my Moore bondathon. And it's been hugely enjoyable revisiting his Bond tenure over the last few days. Moore was a great Bond and did it his way. He played it lighter most of the time but could also play it serious and tough.

Enjoyed Moore's final film again and although its not as epic or action packed as OP its a good story with a decent cast. The slapstick is not as prevalent as it is in OP apart from the ill judged firetruck chase and of course the terrible use of 'California girls' in the otherwise good PTS.

Action is mostly good apart from the worst fight scene in the series when Bond and Tibbett are discovered in the warehouse. The editing is appalling. The horse race IS well edited and very well done, as is Mayday's jump from the Eiffel Tower and subsequent chase (which does get a bit silly)
    The fight at Stacey's home isn't bad and the climax is well done and memorable. For me the best scene is the escape from the fire at city hall. It's really well done and looks bloody dangerous.

Walken is a brilliant Zorin. Really coming across as unhinged as the film progresses. Grace Jones can't act but she has good physical presence and works well in the film. Patrick McNee has great chemistry with Moore and is great in the film. Poor Tanya Roberts is pretty hopeless. She looks good but the scene where she's explaining Zorin's plan, even Moore looks embarrassed!

Yet again unfussy direction from the reliable John Glen and another corker from John Barry.

Good review. I would say that the steeplechase scene is probably the best action setpiece. It's not played for laughs and Bond does get bashed about a bit! (Yea, his stunt double, I know I know!)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Good review. I would say that the steeplechase scene is probably the best action setpiece. It's not played for laughs and Bond does get bashed about a bit! (Yea, his stunt double, I know I know!)

Thanks, @Mathis1

I've always been impressed with the steeplechase scene as it's a very difficult scene to shoot and edit i would imagine. It's also something we'd never seen in a Bond film before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    AVTAK is one I've never been able to really get into. I've read many positive comments by members here over the years and have revisited it trying to gain a better perspective, but to no avail. I just feel it pales in comparison to all the other Rog entries for some reason and seems a bit tired. Having said that, there are some cool sequences, including the aforementioned steeplechase and the subsequent escape from the Rolls underwater. The Eiffel jump is one of the great scenes in a Bond film.

The firetruck chase and barn fight are horrendous, with the former perhaps being the nadir of the series (imho) prior to the shameful CGI event in DAD.
  • That the 80s Bond films became less fantastical and more thriller like, has been attributed to the zeitgeist back then, but I believe it was simply a matter of them starting with the short stories. They are more in that vein, simple as that.

Had not thought of that. Good insight.
    Was going to watch LTK last night, but got sidetracked by other stuff. Planning on watching that soon over here before I have to go to work.
    I watched Thunderball a few days ago, always liked Ted Moore photography ,and I think the best John Barry score ?
    Great fun
    Me and my friend got to the point in DAF where Bond lands on the toilet in the Whyte House. However, the power went out at that very moment. LOL not happy.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,985
    Tomorrow Never Dies

This has in recent times become my favourite Brosnan Bond.

I just love the (all too prophetic) villains plot and the fast pace of the film. There is a bit too much action in the film in my opinion but it is well done.

Brilliant PTS which is tenuously connected to the actual plot, with exciting action, good dialogue in the MI6 control and David Arnold's fantastic track 'white Knight'. In fact all the action in this is top notch, although the bike chase does go on too long. Great climax on the Stealth ship and love all the scenes with the Royal Navy. Carver gets a fitting death as well, from his own device.

Brosnan is more comfortable in this than GE i find and he just looks better in this as well. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but i just love Jonathan Pryce as Carver. He's a proper Fleming villain; Egotistical, vindictive and insane. I like the way it's portrayed that Bond really can't stand this man.
    Michelle Yeogh is a good foil for Brosnan and she's great in the action scenes, even if her character isn't that interesting.
    Stamper is a cool henchman and it would have been nice for him and Brosnan to have real dust up.

The cherry on the top for me is Arnold's brilliant score. Has that wonderful Barry sound but still makes it his own.

For me this is a real audience Bond film in that it appeals to both fans and casual movie goers. I also like that once Moneypenny and M have had their scenes it's Bond on his own with no 'scooby gang' to drag him down. Shame the odious Jack Wade turns up but it's mercifully brief.

Funny; I actually have TND coming up today.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 1,595
    TND very much feels like the most American Bond film, especially in its approach to action, but I’ve also warmed up to it quite a bit and I think Carver is one of the more interesting villains. As you said, prophetic, which isn’t a word I’d throw around about many Bond films.

Brosnan’s better here than in GE as well. All in all, pretty firmly the second best of that era. I can even see why some consider it the best of his four. Elswit shoots the hell out of it, and Yeoh gives a lot of the later-action a physicality and realness.
    Brosnan era is definitely GE > TND > TWINE > DAD to me. I think GE is great, TND is good, TWINE is mixed, and DAD is disappointing. Used to like TWINE a lot more and TND a lot less, but as I grew older it flip-flopped.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 1,595
    DAD is much better than TWINE, in my opinion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hmmmm... there’s no “draw”?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The PTS of Tomorrow Never Dies is possible my favorite of the franchise. One aspect that I really like, and one from which future Bond films could learn, is that the PTS does not have to be elaborately incorporated into the entire film, nor does it have to be completely detached. ; a single element, in this case the encoder, could link the two.
    TND defintely has grown on me a lot. It’s not quite top tier Bond, but it’s still highly entertaining and super relevant. In general I’d argue it’s probably one of the most underrappreciated Bond films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Brosnan era is definitely GE > TND > TWINE > DAD to me. I think GE is great, TND is good, TWINE is mixed, and DAD is disappointing. Used to like TWINE a lot more and TND a lot less, but as I grew older it flip-flopped.

That is how I would rank them as well, although GE/TND is practically a draw, as are TWINE/DAD, which are even worse.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you. I'm not a fan of his third outing. There are some decent ideas in P&W's debut, but the execution is woeful in my humble opinion, and quite dull.
    Continuing my Brosnan Bondathon with The World Is Not Enough

I'm really fond of this film. It has a good little plot and I do like the script.

Brosnan continues on from TND being ever more comfortable in Bond's suit.

Another great PTS which is sort of a double whammy. I just love the boat chase and Arnold's music in this sequence is second to none. The rest of the film's action is a bit meh. The paraglide sequence never really comes alive and the Caviar factory could have been cut. I do like the pipeline scene which has Denise Richard's best moments. I do like the fact that Bond let's the bomb explode to expose King.

Cast are mostly good but Sophie Marceau is just amazing. A real femme fatale that you can believe any man could fall for. She's the best thing in the film.
    Robert Carlisle as Renard is good but mostly he's wasted. The big scene where we learn the bullet in his brain is making him impervious to pain is sort of put to one side as the film progresses.
    Say what you want about Denise Richards, I think she does pretty well overall.

It's funny, but watching this I realised how much I missed Julie Dench's M in SP.

Another great score from David Arnold. I especially like his music as Bond and Elektra ski down the mountain, which is pure Barry.

Overall a rollicking good Bond adventure which in my opinion has been unfairly vilified and is quite underrated.
    Great review.
    Continuing my Brosnan Bondathon with The World Is Not Enough

I'm really fond of this film. It has a good little plot and I do like the script.

Brosnan continues on from TND being ever more comfortable in Bond's suit.

Another great PTS which is sort of a double whammy. I just love the boat chase and Arnold's music in this sequence is second to none. The rest of the film's action is a bit meh. The paraglide sequence never really comes alive and the Caviar factory could have been cut. I do like the pipeline scene which has Denise Richard's best moments. I do like the fact that Bond let's the bomb explode to expose King.

Cast are mostly good but Sophie Marceau is just amazing. A real femme fatale that you can believe any man could fall for. She's the best thing in the film.
    Robert Carlisle as Renard is good but mostly he's wasted. The big scene where we learn the bullet in his brain is making him impervious to pain is sort of put to one side as the film progresses.
    Say what you want about Denise Richards, I think she does pretty well overall.

It's funny, but watching this I realised how much I missed Julie Dench's M in SP.

Another great score from David Arnold. I especially like his music as Bond and Elektra ski down the mountain, which is pure Barry.

Overall a rollicking good Bond adventure which in my opinion has been unfairly vilified and is quite underrated.

It was my favorite Pierce film for the longest time. I really need to revisit it soon.
    Is TWINE perfect? Of course not. No film is. Is it horrible? God no. I know it has its shortcomings but I've always enjoyed it along with the other Brosnan films. Quit being so critical. Except with SP lol.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I always thoroughly enjoy TWINE. If there was one thing I could change it would be to re-cast Renard; Robert Carlyle is a fine actor but the role called for someone who was more intimidating.
    Wasn't Renard supposed to be a larger and bulkier man in the scripts, anyway?
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

100% on this. I have rewatch both in the last few days, and posted something similar in the 'Controversial Opinions' thread.

DAD is far from being a great film, but it does at least have a wacky charm, and a fast pace. TWINE is just bland and forgettable. The worst crime for a 007 film.