Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    Just finishing QOS, released on this day in the U.S. ten years ago.

This is a movie that just gets better with each watch.

Only change I'd make is to make it ten minutes longer in order to flesh out the Guy Haines storyline and keep the original ending with Mr. White. Then after that, go back to making standalone films.
    This is a film which benefits from its short runtime, but one which could also benefit from a bit more flushing out of certain elements, including Haines as you note. It presents an interesting dilemma, because lengthening it, recutting the action scenes or providing a little more exposition or clarity (often requested by fans) could potentially take away from what makes it so unique and reviewable.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    Just finishing QOS, released on this day in the U.S. ten years ago.

This is a movie that just gets better with each watch.

Only change I'd make is to make it ten minutes longer in order to flesh out the Guy Haines storyline and keep the original ending with Mr. White. Then after that, go back to making standalone films.
    This is a film which benefits from its short runtime, but one which could also benefit from a bit more flushing out of certain elements, including Haines as you note. It presents an interesting dilemma, because lengthening it, recutting the action scenes or providing a little more exposition or clarity (often requested by fans) could potentially take away from what makes it so unique and reviewable.

Well said.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    GE

Highly enjoyable as always. On this viewing the green screen and somewhat cheap special effects in places were noticeable, but not enough to ruin the overall experience. I think the effects and stunt work in the finale atop the antenna holds up very well all these years later. The charisma of the lively supporting characters and the intrigue of the rivalry/history between 006 & Bond always keep me interested and engaged. There is emotional drama in Michael France's script but it's not overwrought, and Martin Campbell manages to bring out the best in his stellar cast. Some of the characterizations are a bit OTT (Onatop & Boris for instance), but it's all nicely balanced overall and the film has great repeat viewability. It's still easily one of the best Bond films of the last 25 years in my view.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    GE

Highly enjoyable as always. On this viewing the green screen and somewhat cheap special effects in places were noticeable, but not enough to ruin the overall experience. I think the effects and stunt work in the finale atop the antenna holds up very well all these years later. The charisma of the lively supporting characters and the intrigue of the rivalry/history between 006 & Bond always keep me interested and engaged. There is emotional drama in Michael France's script but it's not overwrought, and Martin Campbell manages to bring out the best in his stellar cast. Some of the characterizations are a bit OTT (Onatop & Boris for instance), but it's all nicely balanced overall and the film has great repeat viewability. It's still easily one of the best Bond films of the last 25 years in my view.

@bondjames Here, here!

Agree with everything you said. It is also the most recent Bond film I have watched. It is still a belter after all this time. Brosnan's chemistry with Scorupco, Bean and Jansen are on point. Even small parts such as Zukovsky and Mishkin are played by excellent actor's, and are memorable.

A character that rarely gets a mention is Orumov.Great character, and superbly played by Gottfried John. I would have been quite happy if Orumov have been the main villain.

One slightly oddity, has anyone else noticed this during the Severnaya scenes that bounce back and forth with Bond, Tanner and M watching the satellite feed. Pierce seem's to be smacking his lips and taking a deep breath before every sentence. One wonders whether these where the first scenes filmed, and some nerves crept in.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @Roadphill. Yes, GE never gets tired for me. It was such a great way to come back in force after so much time away and it still holds up today and is a blast. I completely agree on Gottfried John as well. He's another one who's borderline camp but still so much fun. He reminds me a lot of Steven Berkoff's Orlov (there are actually a lot of things about GE that remind me of OP). Tcheky Karyo's Mishkin is another fun character and I wish he'd lived a bit longer.

RE: Brosnan's nerves during the briefing scenes: yes, I agree. It's there during his first encounter with Bond's MP as well. He's particularly 'whispery breathy' when he says "hope springs eternal". Nowhere near Jack Bauer levels, but those scenes could have done with some reshoots imho.
  • You know: much like Diamonds are Forever has moved up in my personal ranking, after hating it as a younger man, I just finished watching YOLT on Hulu and enjoyed the hell out of it! I used to hate that one too! Not nearly as bad as I remembered.

I may be due for a fresh Bond movie ranking
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    You know: much like Diamonds are Forever has moved up in my personal ranking, after hating it as a younger man, I just finished watching YOLT on Hulu and enjoyed the hell out of it! I used to hate that one too! Not nearly as bad as I remembered.

I may be due for a fresh Bond movie ranking

Back in the day, I was never a huge fan of either. Now they are my two and three behind FRWL in my Connery power rankings
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Roadphill wrote: »
    GE

@bondjames Here, here!

Agree with everything you said. It is also the most recent Bond film I have watched. It is still a belter after all this time. Brosnan's chemistry with Scorupco, Bean and Jansen are on point. Even small parts such as Zukovsky and Mishkin are played by excellent actor's, and are memorable.

A character that rarely gets a mention is Orumov.Great character, and superbly played by Gottfried John. I would have been quite happy if Orumov have been the main villain.

One slightly oddity, has anyone else noticed this during the Severnaya scenes that bounce back and forth with Bond, Tanner and M watching the satellite feed. Pierce seem's to be smacking his lips and taking a deep breath before every sentence. One wonders whether these where the first scenes filmed, and some nerves crept in.

I believe the first scenes Brosnan filmed was the first meeting with Zukovsky.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 1,469
    Just watched SP. One thing I noticed is that hearing the James Bond Theme is like getting a megashot of vitamins--it triggers something inside, and it's probably like that for most of us--like seeing a pretty woman. Something I thought of halfway through is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of daylight in this one, as compared to say Dr. No of course, For Your Eyes Only, even From Russia With Love, Thunderball, Never Say Never Again and Octopussy to name a few that come to mind. I wouldn't say SP is gloomy because of that, partly because of the relationship between spying and the night or the dark and shadows--and for me the story and its settings rule--but it's always nice to see the sun more I think. And I wonder if Mr. Hinx has healed from getting bounced off the train. Actually I just looked online and it says he's presumably deceased after being "defenestrated from a train" (James Bond Wiki).
    As it's nearly Christmas On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Watching it on my new 4K TV was just stunning! The photography and brilliant editing really popped out of the screen. The snow scenes are amazing and Diana Rigg is just so beautiful.

A wonderful film and just gets better every time I see it.

As it's nearly Christmas On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Watching it on my new 4K TV was just stunning! The photography and brilliant editing really popped out of the screen. The snow scenes are amazing and Diana Rigg is just so beautiful.

A wonderful film and just gets better every time I see it.

I really need to find time for a OHMSS viewing before Christmas. I missed the chance to do so last year, and the year before that, I watched it during summer.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Watched Dr No again.Must have watched it over 500 times.Yes
    It's a 10/10 film for me.

Fantastic suit worn by Connery. Classic clothing

Jack Lord's suit looks awful.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    001 wrote: »

Yeah, but his shades save the look! :D

talos7 wrote: »

Ray ban ?

Ray ban ?
    I don’t know, but they were.... unique

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    First half of DAD before I got sleepy.

I'll say this, even though it's towards the bottom of my rankings, I was highly enjoying it last night. Yes, the dialogue at the hotel bar with Jinx is a little cringeworthy and I see people say that Brosnan comes off a little sleazy. However, he was just locked in a prison for 14 months. Who can blame him

Ray ban ?

1962 Ray Ban Ad

f9442522d4f533787c0ddeaca2b8ea6a.jpg
    First half of DAD before I got sleepy.

I'll say this, even though it's towards the bottom of my rankings, I was highly enjoying it last night. Yes, the dialogue at the hotel bar with Jinx is a little cringeworthy and I see people say that Brosnan comes off a little sleazy. However, he was just locked in a prison for 14 months. Who can blame him

I don't think a single member in here would refuse a naked tumble with Jinx ;)

Ray ban ?

1962 Ray Ban Ad

f9442522d4f533787c0ddeaca2b8ea6a.jpg

Nice!

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    You Only Live Twice.

I enjoy this one more and more each time I watch it. This one really moves, through the Japanese landscape with an epic sweep thanks to John Barry. So say Connery is bored, but I prefer to say "relaxed". I movie when M says "this is the big one" because he means it and it sets the tone of the epic adventure ahead. It feels like the ne plus ultra of 60's Bond. Bond is known for for exotic locales, and this is perhaps the most forgein, at least as it would have been seen back in '67. And the Space plot really fits in with the bigness of everything. I think if I could watch any Bond film in the cinema on opening night, it would be this, because imagine you have watched this character and series develop from humble beginnings investigating strangways death, and over four movies become a global phenomenon. Then there is a 2 year gap, and wait to with baited breathe, and are rewarded by the biggest and grandest adventure yet to top the others.

There can't be much else like it in the world of Bond or otherwise.

I also really love Donald Pleasence as Blofeld. His performance is like he has mental defect this prevents him from relating to the rest of humanity, and so has pursued power over people instead. It's a genius protrayal IMO.
    Never Say Never Again

Really enjoy this every time I see it. Connery is relaxed and cool. Better in this than his last two Bond films.

Barbara Carrera is just amazing as Fatima Blush. Sexy, insane and deadly. Everything I look for in a female Bond villain!

Also great is Klaus Maria Brandauer as Largo. Another certifiable mad villain. His scenes with Connery are just riveting. Just love the world domination game scene.

Kim Basinger is a good Bond girl. She gets a nice dance with Bond as a highlight.

Action is mostly good and down to earth. The underwater shark chase is very impressive. Shame the film's one failing is its damp squib climax. Shame we didn't get to see The Flying Saucer blown up at the end.

Another problem is the uneven score. This film would really benefit greatly from a Bondian score.

Witty without being silly this is a great Bond film.

If only EON would buy the rights and re-score it
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Although I’ve seen all of these films more times than it can be healthy for me, I can’t remember ever having seen them all in order, so that is what I’ve just done over the last several days, catching two (sometimes three) a day from Dr No thru SPECTRE. And I must say have enjoyed it, doing it this way I’ve watched each film through without giving up on any (in the recent past I couldn’t complete the likes of DAF or Moonraker, AVTAK etc), and looking forward to the next in line.
    All Bonded out now, just waiting to see what Bond 25 and the future holds for 007.
    Although I’ve seen all of these films more times than it can be healthy for me, I can’t remember ever having seen them all in order, so that is what I’ve just done over the last several days, catching two (sometimes three) a day from Dr No thru SPECTRE. And I must say have enjoyed it, doing it this way I’ve watched each film through without giving up on any (in the recent past I couldn’t complete the likes of DAF or Moonraker, AVTAK etc), and looking forward to the next in line.
    All Bonded out now, just waiting to see what Bond 25 and the future holds for 007.

That's dedication,well done !!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    barryt007 wrote: »

I was made redundant recently and as yet haven’t been able to find a new job (very scary), and as such have had a lot of free time. Watching these films has, for a while, taken my mind from some negative thoughts.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I was made redundant recently and as yet haven’t been able to find a new job (very scary), and as such have had a lot of free time. Watching these films has, for a while, taken my mind from some negative thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Lancaster. I was unemployed myself many years ago, for a very long time before I got full time work. Don't give up hope, something will come along! I was only coming into my Bond faze then. It did distract happily!
    It really sucks being in between jobs. I spent the last two years working PT gigs while searching for FT work. Luckily I found something not too bad this past summer.
    Bond is great company during that period of downtime, though.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,820
    NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
    Well due to a horrendous flu, I was unable to join in the group watch lately. So I decided to have a viewing myself. I remember seeing this in the cinema on St Stephens Day, 1983, and coming away bitterly disappointed (particularly as I loved Octopussy that Summer!)
    However it has grown on me a lot, and this blu ray transfer is excellent. Connery looks great
    And has lost none of his gravitas as Bond!
    Barbara Carerra nearly steals the show. Basinger is terrible and Brandeur is servicable as Largo (but i much prefer Celi).
    A lot of people worked on this as did Raiders of the Lost Ark, Douglas Slocombe on cinematography, Glen Randall on action, same production designer too I think, and of course, the wonderful Pat Roach in an entertaining if overlong fight sequence.
    Michel Legrand does a terrible score though (it's such a pity the late James Horner got delayed on his previous movie and was unable to do it!), theme song is awful, and the script by Lorenzo Semple is witty At times (No doubt down to the uncredited assist of Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais of 'Porridge' fame, brought in at Connerys insistance)
    A shout out for Alec McKeown as a different type of Q, certainly better than John Cleese or even current Ben Whishaw!
    All in all an enjoyable watch. Not as bad as it's reputation!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I must admit to not watching any Bond films for quite some time, though I intend to break with convention with a long overdue viewing of Casino Royale on TV this evening.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,820
    On her majestys secret service(1969)
    My annual watch never fails. Utterly superb. It is number 1 for me and this viewing doesn't change that.
    What's more to say...great gunbarrel from Laz (even more so when I know the story behind it)
    And performance,Pts one of the best. Great story and dialogue, casino scene ,Barry's theme and music, Rigg and Savalas marvellous, fight sequences, resignation scene with M, flirtation with Moneypenny, we have all the time in the world, Switzerland, ski action, stock car sequence, attack on Piz Gloria, bobsled chase,sheer thrills, and that brave devastating final scene! Simply glorious!
    Blimey, just looking at TV schedules. Here in Ireland our two home channels are RTE1 and 2
    On Saturday 29th they are showing 2 Bond movies on each channel..Thunderball and Spectre on one and Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace on the other. Actually there are a rake of Bond films on the home channels over the fortnight! Happy times if you're a fan...if not!!!