No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I have to wonder what makes Fukunaga the ideal choice for Bond 25. I don't doubt he is talented, although I haven't seen much to verify that. But even the , I don't specifically what it is that makes him a fit for this franchise. All I am reading is that he looks stylish in a suit, and therefore can bring a sense of style to 007? He is young, and represents a more modern mindset perhaps, but that has its dangers too. Too me the man seems far too self serious from what interviews I have seen. I fear we might not be done with the naval-gazing just yet, and in 2020 that might not be as successful as it was in 2012, or even 2015. To my eyes it looks like Bond is becoming stagnant, like it did with DAF, AVTAK and DAD previously. I don't see what this film has going for it that those films didn't. I don't blame people for getting hyped, and hoping for the best. I wish I could believe that B25 was going to finally address some of the issues that have been lingering for a while now. Unfortunately, I just can't
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I have to wonder what makes Fukunaga the ideal choice for Bond 25. I don't doubt he is talented, although I haven't seen much to verify that. But even the , I don't specifically what it is that makes him a fit for this franchise. All I am reading is that he looks stylish in a suit, and therefore can bring a sense of style to 007? He is young, and represents a more modern mindset perhaps, but that has its dangers too. Too me the man seems far too self serious from what interviews I have seen. I fear we might not be done with the naval-gazing just yet, and in 2020 that might not be as successful as it was in 2012, or even 2015. To my eyes it looks like Bond is becoming stagnant, like it did with DAF, AVTAK and DAD previously. I don't see what this film has going for it that those films didn't. I don't blame people for getting hyped, and hoping for the best. I wish I could believe that B25 was going to finally address some of the issues that have been lingering for a while now. Unfortunately, I just can't

Have you seen any of Fukunaga's work?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318

First off, I hereby recommend you go and watch some of his films/tv-productions. Secondly, he's a bit of a shapeshifter, a chameleon if you will. I know it's very easy to compare new talent to the greats, but to me it looks like he has a similar eye and vision Kubrick had. Kubrick tried everything, from comedy to horror and in ways Fukunaga has done the same, successfully like Kubrick. Whatever he makes ranges from good to excellent and it seems he's able to channel that inner quality he has into whatever piques his interest. Critics/audiences their opinions back this up. He stated he's always wanted to make a Bond film, so I reckon we're quite safe in that regard.
    Mendes, often we view things quite similarly. I'd say worry less and start viewing some of his stuff. You'll come to the conclusion, most likely anyway, the man is deeply talented and is indeed a breath of fresh air for the Bond franchise. We're actually quite lucky to have him aboard.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

The Craig era has been it's own time-line, and I can't imagine a completely new actor playing Bond as if he experienced Vesper and everything that followed thereafter.

Perhaps after the next guy, they will go back to soft re-boots.

So, having an ending that puts a firm end to the DC time-line shouldn't be unexpected. And if this is the case, a FRWL-type conclusion, or YOLT, would be wholly appropriate to this era and it cleans the slate for the next guy.

I 100% agree, Peter. I can see Craig wanting his ending to be something unique and, for the wider audience, very surprising. The SP ending, obviously designed as a potential Craig farewell, didn't have great impact. I think Craig knows that.

I understand your point. But it should be all about Ian Fleming’s James Bond and not Daniel Craig.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tuxedo wrote: »

The Craig era has been it's own time-line, and I can't imagine a completely new actor playing Bond as if he experienced Vesper and everything that followed thereafter.

So, having an ending that puts a firm end to the DC time-line shouldn't be unexpected. And if this is the case, a FRWL-type conclusion, or YOLT, would be wholly appropriate to this era and it cleans the slate for the next guy.

I 100% agree, Peter. I can see Craig wanting his ending to be something unique and, for the wider audience, very surprising. The SP ending, obviously designed as a potential Craig farewell, didn't have great impact. I think Craig knows that.

I understand your point. But it should be all about Ian Fleming’s James Bond and not Daniel Craig.

Very well said.
  • RC7RC7

Very well said.

They’ve been taking liberties with Fleming from Day 1. It’s the laziest argument I see trotted out.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043

If it was announced that Craig was standing down and that Fukunaga had reached a deal alongside EON that Aidan Turner would be taking over in a tweaked script to introduce the new Bond you'd be all over this and think he was the best director ever.

Your hot air isn't fooling me or others, you hate Craig just let it flow through you and admit it.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 485
    I'm not particularly familiar with Fukunaga's work but from the clips I've seen it certainly looks like he'll produced something visually arresting.

It's still very early days of course, who knows how the film will turn out, but it does feel like the news of this appointment has come at the right time. For this forum and Bond fans and followers at large it's lifted spirits and dare I say created a little hype now for Bond 25.

I don't care if it's called Shatterhand and features Blofield as there's a sense that we might have a gritty, visceral thriller in which Bond might go to hell and back to bring him down.

I'm sure Craig means he wants to go out on a creative high rather than the film end on a air-punching heroic high but even still I don't quite think they'd go for the downer of Bond fatally injured at the end of it. If they do it it'll need to be pretty dramatic and bloody well done but it's a risk.

It's funny that in 2018 some are talking about the end of SP being the perfect closure to the Craig era because when I left the cinema in 2015 there was a palpable sense to me of it feeling like the second act of a three parter. Yes Bond had quit but Blofeld's gaze at Bond as he walked off suggested unfinished business. Time will tell as to whether any of the strands from SP are carried on. It would dishearten some people if it did but there's not reason why things can't be done 'right' this time.
  • peterpeter Toronto

It's not as if DC is bigger than Bond. But this re-boot WAS unique. And DC is as big as Bond in THIS time-line. THIS Bond needs a conclusion to this time-line, opening it clean for the next guy.

Since '06, this has been a unique era precisely because of the re-boot. And now it must reach its conclusion.

This is something the other Bonds didn't need.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    edited September 2018 Posts: 251
    RC7 wrote: »

Very well said.

They’ve been taking liberties with Fleming from Day 1. It’s the laziest argument I see trotted out.

Please don’t missunderstand. Focus on Bond and not on how to make Daniel Craig look good - that was my point.
    Can anyone explain to me how and when did this "They're gonna kill him" thing start? Who said so? Any reliable sources?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Univex wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how and when did this "They're gonna kill him" thing start? Who said so? Any reliable sources?
    Just tabloid stuff. I doubt there's any truth to it
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

It's not as if DC is bigger than Bond. But this re-boot WAS unique. And DC is as big as Bond in THIS time-line. THIS Bond needs a conclusion to this time-line, opening it clean for the next guy.

Since '06, this has been a unique era precisely because of the re-boot. And now it must reach its conclusion.

Thank you exactly what I was saying, some here don't want to accept this but this is a self contained era.

No I'm sure some would like as the first 20 but films have moved on since then and the model is different. Bond may have been immune from this at one time but the DC era was a new start and no fanboy tinkering will get it to line up with the previous era.

No I am certainly not supporting the code name theory but this era is coming to an end accept it.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Very well said.

Please don’t missunderstand. Focus on Bond and not on how to make Daniel Craig look good - that was my point.

I don't think that was @RC7's point.

And making an actor "look good"? All actors want to look good. That's why they're actors.
    jake24 wrote: »

Really?!? There's pages and pages of tabloid discussion here? Why? I thought there was some basis of seriousness to it. But if it's just tabloid trash, why don't we elaborate on more serious and interesting matters?
  • RC7RC7

Very well said.

It didn’t come across like that. I didn’t see anything in the comments pertaining to DC ‘looking good’, merely rounding out his tenure interestingly and appropriately.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

Very well said.

It didn’t come across like that. I didn’t see anything in the comments pertaining to DC ‘looking good’, merely rounding out his tenure interestingly and appropriately.

Got it. Thanks @RC7
  • peterpeter Toronto

Agreed... I think there's confusion with ending Craig's run automatically meaning this is the death of 007.

However, a YOLT, of FRWL-type ending would be an excellent and conclusive way to end DC's tenure...

Really?!? There's pages and pages of tabloid discussion here? Why? I thought there was some basis of seriousness to it. But if it's just tabloid trash, why don't we elaborate on more serious and interesting matters?
    People seem to be more interested in discussing the most outlandish Scenarios than in reading media articles and other people´s post properly ;-).

• peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »

Thank you exactly what I was saying, some here don't want to accept this but this is a self contained era.

No I'm sure some would like as the first 20 but films have moved on since then and the model is different. Bond may have been immune from this at one time but the DC era was a new start and no fanboy tinkering will get it to line up with the previous era.

No I am certainly not supporting the code name theory but this era is coming to an end accept it.

Yes @Shardlake , agreed again. It is coming to an end. And, it looks like this era will be self-contained.

Thanks for your calm sense.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Cowley wrote: »
    It's funny that in 2018 some are talking about the end of SP being the perfect closure to the Craig era because when I left the cinema in 2015 there was a palpable sense to me of it feeling like the second act of a three parter. Yes Bond had quit but Blofeld's gaze at Bond as he walked off suggested unfinished business. Time will tell as to whether any of the strands from SP are carried on. It would dishearten some people if it did but there's not reason why things can't be done 'right' this time.
    It would be good for folks to be open to that obvious possibility.

And there are more, equally obvious possibilities. How it ends. Who's in it. How much action. How much humor.

• peterpeter Toronto
    boldfinger wrote: »

People seem to be more interested in discussing the most outlandish Scenarios than in reading media articles and other people´s post properly ;-).

Well done, @boldfinger !! Well done, lol!
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

Agreed... I think there's confusion with ending Craig's run automatically meaning this is the death of 007.

However, a YOLT, of FRWL-type ending would be an excellent and conclusive way to end DC's tenure...

Agreed, @peter. This could be very interesting if the story is right. And I don't think there's any truth to the tabloid stuff, either. Bond is bigger than any actor who plays him so ending Craig's run doesn't mean James Bond has to be killed.
    It occurred to me that, if they go with Aston Martin again, and with the new DBS, Craig will have started his tenure with the 2006 DBS and will finish it with the new DBS - if its still relevant by 2020. Not a serious subject as such, but still, interesting.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

I agree 100% with everything said. I say the next actor can do a minor reboot, say Forever and a Day?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Agreed, @peter. This could be very interesting if the story is right. And I don't think there's any truth to the tabloid stuff, either. Bond is bigger than any actor who plays him so ending Craig's run doesn't mean James Bond has to be killed.

Agreed @Tuxedo, the end of this era is not the end of James Bond.

Saying that, the re-boot is unique, and the re-boot must end to clear the way for James Bond to return. I'm not calling for Bond to be killed, but, a unique ending a la FRWL, or YOLT would be very apropos and a solid closure...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I put this on the fukunaga thread too, but:

I've finished Maniac and...--

--OK, it was:

bizarre, haunting, Kubrik from 2001 and ACWO, funny, Inception, slap-stick, nostalgic, classic horror and modern horror...

(and a Bond fan may see a reference-- or three!!)

It was so many things in a mixed-up bag, but it was lovely and beautiful and about two people who found each other. And they fell in love.

It was-- like TRUE DETECTIVE-- nothing you've seen before in one package.

Call me over-fu****gly-whelmed.

It was greatness.

Holy. Smokes.

And this guy is going to be the next Bond director?? Girls and boys of the Bond-verse, celebrate!!

Wow-- as @ColonelSun had mentioned almost two weeks ago: EoN may have been looking at TV directors for a reason (please read the posts! they're very prescient due to his connections and experience in the industry...)

And those attributes he was laying on the table for us were found in spades with the Fukunaga hiring!!!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Craig needs a conclusion that is suitable for his Bond, and at the same time in no way does that mean that Bond has to die. Really, now.

Craig expressed his love of FRWL .... so that along with EON looking for fresh ideas and innovation and Cary's experience showing us how capable he is with drama, dark stories, psychological and mystical stories, too ... leads us to think that Bond will die? I say no.

If there is any kind of semi ambiguous ending to Bond 25, like we think Bond may die, (FRWL or YOLT) - there had better be something (even small unspoken scene) at the end of Bond 25 to show he lives on. I mean that sincerely.

Bond 25 can be serious, gritty, realistic, with some humor, some gorgeous cinematography, and just give me great storytelling (which I think this director has shown he can do) ... and something suitable for Craig's Bond (which is not going to be him sailing off into the sunset with the main Bond girl in his arms a la past films but surely also NOT having Bond die). It can be a serious, poignant, great moment. In no way does it need to portray his Bond as dying or dead. I am 100% against that. (Like I have said maybe 10 times now; sorry. But I am emphatic about this.)

I think nobody outside of serious, nitpicky fans like us are looking for more connected, deeper meaning, tie up all the loose ends scenes. Or even Fleming. I want Fleming in this. The worldwide audience is not going to be looking for that or even get most Fleming nods.

I really want other things to discuss besides the ending - which, with good storytelling, may not be anything we have thought of anyway. I am happier thinking about cast, locations, and music. But I did want to have my say on this "ending Craig era" chat. Yes, I want it appropriate for Craig. But Bond lives, no matter how subtly we are given that; that is necessary for me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    THIS Bond needs a conclusion to this time-line, opening it clean for the next guy.

I disagree completely. I certainly don't need it, and the general audience doesn't either. The films that tried to tie things together were the ones that led to a drop in box office. SP did well out of the gait riding on expectations following SF, but ended up pulling in a third less cash. Only EON and a few on here think that it so important that Daniel's Era have an "arc". The masses and, I'd wager, most of us on here, do not want that. BOND 26, featuring the new fellow, need only look ahead, the previous films needn't be addressed (as with DAF, GE, TLD and SF). No one outside of a segment of fandom is looking to tie up loose ends; with the horse crap that it has led to thus far, I'm for a clean slate starting now, with Daniel.

With no disrespect, do you think you would believe, or the general audience would believe, that if (say) Henry Cavill walked into M's office, that this is the man that experienced Vesper's death, Greene, Silva and Blofeld?

I say this only because DC seems to be ingrained in the general public's imagination to be what Bond is now. The last 12 years sees him as Bond-- that's why the Omega add still includes him and not some 007 avatar.

This re-boot of '06 was unique in the cannon. Therefore a conclusion to this re-boot is appropriate too.

It cleans the slate and allows the next 007 to come in as his own man-- something never before needed before this re-boot.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Well, Sean was ingrained in the public's mind for sure. And Roger, who had the most films. The general audience always wants to move on, in my opinion.

Bond 25 can find the right conclusion without it being deeply tied to Craig's other films. I would like some tie-in, if done right. Still, the conclusion of Craig's era does not mean a completely dire ending for Bond. It absolutely does not have to go there.

I will go one step more and say whatever the ending is - and I am fine with it being poignant, dramatic - the very end, even if just the last scene, needs to be uplifting. You give me a film that is great until the last moment and give me a downer or "shock" just to show a serious conclusion to our most serious Bond, and I would hate that.