No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• AgentM72 wrote: »

But it's great to see John Glen on the box, if slightly sad that he looks so old. I still remember coming home from school and seeing John Glen doing interviews from set about production on TLD. Happy memories!!!!

Do you know if it's posted online anywhere? Would love to watch it.

I had the pleasure of meeting John briefly a couple years ago. Just a lovely, lovely man and really enjoyable to talk to. For Your Eyes Only was a very early Bond film for me, so he really helped set the impression.

Try this, it seems condensed from what was broadcast sadly itv.com/news/2018-09-20/cary-fukunaga-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-james-bond-director/
  • I can't believe we're discussing this on the same day of the first bit of confirmed good news in ages but ok;

If anything, I think Fukunaga's history will be the reason why he'll work out fine. I'm sure EON know all this and it would have been a point of contention during their discussions. No good Producer would let that elephant in the room go unquestioned.

So either Fukunaga agreed to EON's terms or EON are willing to give him everything he asks for.

Quite.

One hopes they'd be very, very on the same page at this point. EON's situation isn't a secret and neither are Cary's abilities. Plenty of room in that process to agree on key pillars (and avoid another unfortunate departure) while leaving lots of space and mystery for the creative process to be fun and personal.
  • And why eon made the offer; realization that their options are limited, and that they have to make sacrifices if they want someone like fukunaga.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    10 hours ago we had this great news regarding the new director and we're already speculating about the possibility that he may leave the production letting the franchise in ruin?

Jesus Christ...

This is the trailer of Jane Eyre, a beautiful movie Fukunaga directed at 33. A real talent.

https://youtu.be/8IFsdfk3mlk
    Perhaps Bond 25 is 007 In New York as a way to celebrate the first American bond director lol
    matt_u wrote: »
    10 hours ago we had this great news regarding the new director and we're already speculating about the possibility that he may leave the production letting the franchise in ruin?

Jesus Christ...

Sadly, it’s what happens when you get a situation like the one we did with Boyle. Nothing is a certainty. I’m excited about the news, but I also know nothing is set in stone at this point. Cautious optimism is the way to go!
  • matt_u wrote: »

Yep.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, so curb your outrage.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I can't believe we're discussing this on the same day of the first bit of confirmed good news in ages but ok;

If anything, I think Fukunaga's history will be the reason why he'll work out fine. I'm sure EON know all this and it would have been a point of contention during their discussions. No good Producer would let that elephant in the room go unquestioned.

So either Fukunaga agreed to EON's terms or EON are willing to give him everything he asks for.

Quite.

One hopes they'd be very, very on the same page at this point. EON's situation isn't a secret and neither are Cary's abilities. Plenty of room in that process to agree on key pillars (and avoid another unfortunate departure) while leaving lots of space and mystery for the creative process to be fun and personal.

One thing I'm very much impressed with is how this appointment doesn't seem reactionary. Despite the time constraints, there feels like a lot of thought has gone into bringing Fukunaga in.
    What's odd is that they've taken on a director with a reputation for not compromising and who is prepared to walk away when he doesn't get what he wants. Sounds a bit like Boyle.

So what's changed? Has Fukunaga agreed to do what he's told?

Or are EON now ready to offer Fukunaga what they apparently weren't willing to do for Boyle and give him total creative freedom?

And if the latter, why weren't they able to go that extra mile to keep Boyle on board?

All very odd.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,548
    Just a taste...

Getafix wrote: »
    What's odd is that they've taken on a director with a reputation for not compromising and who is prepared to walk away when he doesn't get what he wants. Sounds a bit like Boyle.

Or are EON now ready to offer Fukunaga what they apparently weren't willing to do for Boyle and give him total creative freedom?

And if the latter, why weren't they able to go that extra mile to keep Boyle on board?

All very odd.

It's this that makes me think that there's more to Boyle leaving then disagreements about action, and that Fukunaga's approach is in line with what EON think is the right way forward.

But we'll never know for sure.
    Getafix wrote: »

All very odd.

Mmmh what about the possibility that he and EoN share the same vision about the movie, which is currently written by P&W? Just saying...

Fukunaga didn't asked EoN to let him develop his own movie - with zero interferences by the production - alongside his fellow screenwriter. That's the big difference.
  • Great director casting news, certainly return a more intense tone after the Moore-like frivolity in SPECTRE is welcome.
    Everyone seems to be casually glossing over the fact that the film is delayed until 2020. That is pushing 5 years since spectre, everyone here would've went crazy if that came to light in 2017 or early 2018. We're not gonna see another bond film until 2024 at the earliest with a recast with this being Craig's final film. So much time has been wasted they could've been much further ahead by now. The film had better reach critical acclaim & be one of the best bond films ever made for this to be worth it. I love Craig's films but you can't come back 5 years later and do just one. There's clearly no long term plan.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be casually glossing over the fact that the film is delayed until 2020. That is pushing 5 years since spectre, everyone here would've went crazy if that came to light in 2017 or early 2018. We're not gonna see another bond film until 2024 at the earliest with a recast with this being Craig's final film. So much time has been wasted they could've been much further ahead by now. The film had better reach critical acclaim & be one of the best bond films ever made for this to be worth it. I love Craig's films but you can't come back 5 years later and do just one. There's clearly no long term plan.

Actually is 4 years and 3 months. If you do the math.
    Everyone seems to be casually glossing over the fact that the film is delayed until 2020.
    Well, a late 2020 release seemed very possible even yesterday, so a 4-month delay is really nothing.
    Nobody is casually glossing over anything. There can't be a long term plan made public if there's only a one-picture distribution deal. It's very easy to look back and talk about how we would have reacted a couple of years ago when the circumstances weren't entirely clear. But we're here now when things are easier to understand.
    Everyone seems to be casually glossing over the fact that the film is delayed until 2020.
    Well, a late 2020 release seemed very possible even yesterday, so a 4-month delay is really nothing.

Outside UK even less.
    It doesn't feel right releasing in February, November/December is what we're used to and is an end of the year event.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Bond 25 has a connection to Brosnan's tenure, as it'll be released on Valentin's Day.
    It doesn't feel right releasing in February, November/December is what we're used to and is an end of the year event.

There's a James Bond film coming. Isn't that all that matters?

Really? XD

Now it's gonna be a begin of the year event. Same thing.

I remember Star Wars fans complaining about losing the regular May release for the new trilogy. Then TFA came out, made 2 billions and now they're all happy about the new December lot. Sometimes fans are ridiculously puerile.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm glad it's coming out in a month other than November for a change.
    There's a bond film coming and for that I'm grateful but when the film is released and if it's just as or even more divisive than spectre. That's a long time for some fans of the series to wait who aren't happy with the drama arthouse approach as that looks like what we are getting again. I was a fan of that era but it's wearing thin now imo.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619

There's a James Bond film coming. Isn't that all that matters?
    Not for me. If SJ Clarkson was directing BOND 25, I wouldn't be looking forward to it at all. Fortunately, she isn't!
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    There's a bond film coming and for that I'm grateful but when the film is released and if it's just as or even more divisive than spectre. That's a long time for some fans of the series to wait who aren't happy with the drama arthouse approach as that looks like what we are getting again. I was a fan of that era but it's wearing thin now imo.

And what if it’s amazing? Relax. We will get the film when we get it.

Would I prefer if it was coming next month, or next year. Of course. But it isn’t. It’s coming out in Feb 2020 and that’s what I’m looking forward to now.
  • I think today's news is great. For those that often talk about a Nolan helmed film, which I should add, I'd love to see at some point. He would want absolute and total control over everything. It's how he works and the output speaks for itself. To walk from a production is no small thing, people make it sound like you're being a quitter when I'm sure nothing could be further from the truth.

I think today's news is actually a super smart play by EON, he's pretty obviously a rising star. Judging his output and his behaviour in interviews, he's uncompromising and that takes a lot of self-belief + as Milos Columbo would say a pair of pretty sizeable balls. As does in all fairness walking away from projects you feel are compromised.

EON I think have looked at who is available, who they feel they can work with and as is my deep suspicion who is very much in the ascendance. I think it screams intelligent and I'm actually more excited than when Boyle was announced. Skate to where the puck will be, not where it has been as Steve Jobs famously said.

You can't always please everybody.

People against the so called "arthouse approach" and the "introspective and deconstructive" take of the Craig era can still re-watch more than 20 different movies, if you also count the non EoN ones. This is a luxury Star Wars fans, for example, will never have.
  • For what it's worth, I have to imagine Fukunaga has some incentive to make it work even if Eon and he disagree somewhat. I doubt he wants to be blacklisted as "hard to work with". Doing well with Eon sends a big positive signal to other studios.
    MooreFun wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I have to imagine Fukunaga has some incentive to make it work even if Eon and he disagree somewhat. I doubt he wants to be blacklisted as "hard to work with". Doing well with Eon sends a big positive signal to other studios.

Plus, he's no a 60 years old Oscar winning/cult director.

For him Bond 25 is a real deal.