Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

The copter itself also reminds me of "The Tiger" helicopter from GE.

No wonder : the Blue Thunder is also a french chopper. More precisely a modified Aérospatiale Gazelle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Thunder_(helicopter)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I prefer Blue Thunder to Firefox, which for some reason it feels natural to compare it to. Saw them both in the cinema when they came out.
    Firefox is great too. I forgot to mention that it reminds me somewhat of that too. The Russian scenes in that film are quite moody and atmospheric and Freddie Jones hams it up as always. I'm due a rewatch soon.
    Gerard wrote: »
    The copter itself also reminds me of "The Tiger" helicopter from GE.

No wonder : the Blue Thunder is also a french chopper. More precisely a modified Aérospatiale Gazelle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Thunder_(helicopter)
    That explains it! Thanks. I knew it looked similar. Airbus Helicopters is the successor entity to Aerospatiale, and build The Tiger.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I like Firefox, though the least interesting part for me is the dogfight.

I haven't seen Blue Thunder but I want to. Seems like a cool film. Scheider is a good everyman type of leading man. I wonder why his career declined in the late eighties.

Thinking of helicopters and Malcolm McDowell reminded me of Figures in a Landscape, starring Robert Shaw and McDowell.
    American Animals.
    Due to his name been bandied about as helmer of Bond 25, I went to see this to check out Director Bart Layton! And I also love heist movies!! What a pleasant surprise. This is an excellent, highly entertaining movie, very clever in its writing (also by Layton!), with great performances from the leads, interspersed with comments from the real people involved! I won't reveal too much about it, but it tells the tale of a quartet of young men who get the idea to rob some rare books from a library! How it all goes you will have to check out yourself, and it really does prove truth is stranger than fiction! One of the best movies i've seen this year! Recommended!
    Oh, do I think Layton is Bond director material....er ..NO! This is superb, but there's nothing here that proves he would be suitable for Bond! I still reckon it should be David Mackenzie or Demange!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The Ipcress File (1965):

ipcress_file_british_quad_poster.jpg

This film gets better as it ages like a fine wine. One of the greatest film noirs ever made, but rather involving a spy as the hero/antihero than a hard-boiled detective. Such a shame the subsequent films in the trilogy (or pentalogy if you count the 90s TV films) were absolute downgrades. It tells a very compelling story with an absolutely terrific cast, artistic and ingenious direction by Sidney J. Furie, and a spectacular cinematography by Otto Heller. But, above all... the film would've been nothing without John Barry's noirish Jazzy soundtrack that spews heart and soul, thus pulling you right into the film without trying to capture your attention by pulling any cliched stunts.

One stellar film!

Yes, Ipcress is a fine, fine film. The first time I watched it, I remember greatly enjoying the little twist after Palmer escapes from his captors. Disorientating, if you know what I mean. Also, great support from Guy Doleman and especially Nigel Green.

When I think of the film I always remember that scene in which they recover Dr. Radcliffe. Like a finely choreographed dance. I also enjoy that shot of the ambulance approaching, with Bluejay inside it, sitting on the dead center.

Regarding the 60s sequels, I haven't fully watched Billion Dollar Brain, but I have seen Funeral in Berlin. It's a good film. The cinematography of the original film is missed, though. The Ipcress File was shot in such a quirky, paranoia-infused way-- every other shot looks like it was taken from a spy camera placed in the room. Tilted camera angles, people placed in the extreme foreground or background...

Also, the score in Funeral is not bad --it suits the undercurrent of black comedy that runs through the film--, but the original film's score is more special.

In Billion Dollar Brain, I remember a moment in which Caine physically wrestles with Françoise Dorléac. It's shot with energetic handheld camera. Here, I found it, one minute into the video:

Great stuff.

There's also a great, striking jump cut later into the film, when Palmer arrives in Texas at night and you see something burning in some sort of protest or ceremony (I can't recall what it was). As I said, I haven't seen the film in full so I can't really pass judgment on it in general, but from what I saw, I remember enjoying the cinematography.

Regarding the cinematography in The Ipcress File; here's an interesting clip discussing it:

I like Firefox, though the least interesting part for me is the dogfight.

I haven't seen Blue Thunder but I want to. Seems like a cool film. Scheider is a good everyman type of leading man. I wonder why his career declined in the late eighties.

Thinking of helicopters and Malcolm McDowell reminded me of Figures in a Landscape, starring Robert Shaw and McDowell.
    Apparently McDowell was afraid of flying and had to be ordered into the helicopter on occasion. Some shots in the final battle where he appears annoyed actually depict his real frustration at being up there.

I haven't heard of Figures in a Landscape before. I did a quick google search and it seems like an interesting premise. I may check it out at some point.
    Just finally got round to watching Sicario 2: Soldado. A great sequel, much better than some of the unfavourable reviews would lead you to believe. I’m guessing that some of the critics now see it as possibly pro-Trump propaganda and therefore decided to give it a knock. Regardless of one’s own political stance, it’s still a great movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Another one to add to the “Not Impressed List”... Predator. A totally pointless sequel that will appeal more to 12 year-olds than the 18 certificate crowd it’s been marketed for. Arnie totally dodged a bullet by not appearing in this pile of dreck. What was Shane Black thinking of by adding a kid into the mix? Watching this just made me pine for the original and superior script and movie with Arnie and Waethers.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Another one to add to the “Not Impressed List”... Predator. A totally pointless sequel that will appeal more to 12 year-olds than the 18 certificate crowd it’s been marketed for. Arnie totally dodged a bullet by not appearing in this pile of dreck. What was Shane Black thinking of by adding a kid into the mix? Watching this just made me pine for the original and superior script and movie with Arnie and Waethers.

Predator 2 was a decent effort,which I like, but none of them compare to the original.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Predator 2 was a decent effort,which I like, but none of them compare to the original.
    I liked Predator 2 also, but agree that nothing can touch Arnie in his prime.

Re: this kid thing - that's unfortunate. Black had a kid in Iron Man 3 too as I recall, but it worked in that film imho. There's also some controversy surrounding his hiring a friend who is a convicted 'predator' for a scene which has since been cut at the request of Olivia Munn.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2018 Posts: 6,733
    bondjames wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

I liked Predator 2 also, but agree that nothing can touch Arnie in his prime.

Re: this kid thing - that's unfortunate. Black had a kid in Iron Man 3 too as I recall, but it worked in that film imho. There's also some controversy surrounding his hiring a friend who is a convicted 'predator' for a scene which has since been cut at the request of Olivia Munn.

The Nice Guys had a kid, as well. In fact, there were like four kids in the movie.

The Ipcress File (1965):

ipcress_file_british_quad_poster.jpg

This film gets better as it ages like a fine wine. One of the greatest film noirs ever made, but rather involving a spy as the hero/antihero than a hard-boiled detective. Such a shame the subsequent films in the trilogy (or pentalogy if you count the 90s TV films) were absolute downgrades. It tells a very compelling story with an absolutely terrific cast, artistic and ingenious direction by Sidney J. Furie, and a spectacular cinematography by Otto Heller. But, above all... the film would've been nothing without John Barry's noirish Jazzy soundtrack that spews heart and soul, thus pulling you right into the film without trying to capture your attention by pulling any cliched stunts.

One stellar film!

Yes, Ipcress is a fine, fine film. The first time I watched it, I remember greatly enjoying the little twist after Palmer escapes from his captors. Disorientating, if you know what I mean. Also, great support from Guy Doleman and especially Nigel Green.

When I think of the film I always remember that scene in which they recover Dr. Radcliffe. Like a finely choreographed dance. I also enjoy that shot of the ambulance approaching, with Bluejay inside it, sitting on the dead center.

Regarding the 60s sequels, I haven't fully watched Billion Dollar Brain, but I have seen Funeral in Berlin. It's a good film. The cinematography of the original film is missed, though. The Ipcress File was shot in such a quirky, paranoia-infused way-- every other shot looks like it was taken from a spy camera placed in the room. Tilted camera angles, people placed in the extreme foreground or background...

Also, the score in Funeral is not bad --it suits the undercurrent of black comedy that runs through the film--, but the original film's score is more special.

In Billion Dollar Brain, I remember a moment in which Caine physically wrestles with Françoise Dorléac. It's shot with energetic handheld camera. Here, I found it, one minute into the video:

Great stuff.

There's also a great, striking jump cut later into the film, when Palmer arrives in Texas at night and you see something burning in some sort of protest or ceremony (I can't recall what it was). As I said, I haven't seen the film in full so I can't really pass judgment on it in general, but from what I saw, I remember enjoying the cinematography.

Regarding the cinematography in The Ipcress File; here's an interesting clip discussing it:

Thank you. I'll have a look.
    Yes, we’ll observed @bondjames and @mattjoes. It seems to be a trend of Black’s scripts that a kid must feature prominently. The movie is just a mess and the kid’s connection is eye-rollingly bad. I won’t spoil it by mentioning the connection but it’s pretty awful. Black’s script has got nothing on the original scribes Jim and John Thomas’ original.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,034
    I had fun with THE PREDATOR. It's silly at times. It's cheesy at times. It's clunky at times. The ending is rubbish. But I had a blast.

e3bb522688fa67d87faf864df064e6d6.jpg

Inventively violent, and save for one or two ill-conceived moments, I laughed a lot too. The first hour is pretty strong, though the film wears itself out by the end. I am finding the criticisms a bit harsh. I got swept up in the whole thing pretty quickly, despite its flaws.

They need to abandon the warring Yautja clan thing though. It's played out.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Finished a few films these past three days. The two Kolchak (pilot) films turned up on the suggestions section on Youtube, and even though the video quality wasn't the best, I just had to check them out. Quite enjoyable! Have to check out the TV series too, eventually.

Tonight I rewatched Sam Peckinpah's The Getaway (1972). Anything starring Steve McQueen is worth watching, IMO, and this film is no different. It starts out a bit slow, but as soon as the characters are established, it's really just an action packed ride the rest of the film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Ghost Protocol on TV, I was not keen on this film when I first watched it though its probably my second favorite of the series. This film really has some great set pieces and I love the score.
    Finished a few films these past three days. The two Kolchak (pilot) films turned up on the suggestions section on Youtube, and even though the video quality wasn't the best, I just had to check them out. Quite enjoyable! Have to check out the TV series too, eventually.

Tonight I rewatched Sam Peckinpah's The Getaway (1972). Anything starring Steve McQueen is worth watching, IMO, and this film is no different. It starts out a bit slow, but as soon as the characters are established, it's really just an action packed ride the rest of the film.

Peckinpah known for his westerns, but I love The Getaway, written by Walter Hill, McQueen is so cool in it, and the action is top notch, particularly the robbery sequence and the hotel shootout finale!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Peckinpah known for his westerns, but I love The Getaway, written by Walter Hill, McQueen is so cool in it, and the action is top notch, particularly the robbery sequence and the hotel shootout finale!

The robbery and the hotel shootout are really great scenes, and the film is a showcase in McQueen coolness - which is also very precent in the scene where he picks up the shotgun at that store.

The robbery and the hotel shootout are really great scenes, and the film is a showcase in McQueen coolness - which is also very precent in the scene where he picks up the shotgun at that store.

And I love how he deals with the grifter on the train who steals the locker key from McGraw!
    Great cameo from Slim Pickens at the end too!

And I love how he deals with the grifter on the train who steals the locker key from McGraw!
    Great cameo from Slim Pickens at the end too!

Love that sequence too – not as fast-paced, but still a very exciting development in the story.
    Final Score (2018)

Oh dear, what a POS. Not even worthy of a review imho. Dave Bautista stars in a low rent Die Hard rip off, which also borrows elements from Jean Claude Van Damme's 1995 Sudden Death (itself guilty of bargain basement DH plagiarism). I used to think Sudden Death was pretty bad, but I'm telling you Final Score makes it look like a masterpiece. The annoying kid is present here too, as is the terrorist plot in an arena/stadium ('football' rather than hockey in this instance). Bautista is no leading man in my view (he has a few expressions which he overuses) & I couldn't understand what he was saying most of the time. What surprises me the most is that both Pierce Brosnan and Ray Stevenson agreed to appear in this crapfest. What were they thinking? Perhaps they were doing someone a favour or were handsomely paid, in which case it's barely understandable. Avoid. You're better off getting a 4K copy of the original 1988 classic, or even Van Damme's 1995 film. Heck, you may even be better off with Speed 2, and that's saying something.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I liked Sudden Death
    I liked Sudden Death
    Compared to Final Score, it's a work of art. I may actually watch it again soon.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I liked Sudden Death
    Same here. I still enjoy the hell out of it.
    I've been busy, and travelling (learned while in London that Boyle was out), and... some other stuff. After resting, and some endorphin inducing TIFF stuff, especially a somewhat blurry, but an absolute treasure of a photo someone luckily took, I felt I could handle the challenge of glimpsing through some 4000 new posts (geez!) in the mess that is our production thread. Got through it during the week (thank goodness it was closed for a few days, or I might still be trying to catch up), but it left me... exhausted. So just putting this list here with just a few comments.

Double Indemnity (1944)
    A noir classic, directed by Billy Wilder, script by Wilder and Raymond Chandler, starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson.

Ramrod (1947)
    Nothing special here.

Orlando (1992)
    First saw this when it was still pretty new, didn't remember it, and re-watched for Tilda Swinton.

Insomnia (1997)
    Finally watched the original, didn't like it much, either.

Dune (1984)
    I'm really looking forward to Villeneuve's movie, so I thought I should finally watch this one - even though I have probably never heard anything good about it. It was indeed terrible. I guess I need to try and find the time to read Dune instead.

The Enforcer (1951)
    Not among Humphrey Bogart's best movies IMO, but still a Humphrey Bogart movie, so...

My House in Umbria (2003)
    Solace (2015)
    The Professionals (1966)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

I was suspicious about this, but found it actually pretty good for what it was.

Il Gattopardo - The Leopard (1963)
    Open Range (2003)
    The Girl on the Train (2016)

Meh. These ladies deserved better.

Shanghai (2010)
    A mess of a movie. A pity.

A United Kingdom (2016)
    The story is pretty interesting, and it has Rosamund Pike and David Oyelowo as the leads, but the movie is just boring, unfortunately.

Salt and Fire (2016)
    A weird Werner Herzog movie, a bit all over the place. Kinda interesting though, in a wtf sort of way.

Advantageous (2015)
    Viaggio in Italia - Journey to Italy AKA Voyage to Italy (1954)
    Septembers of Shiraz (2015)

50d41dd1de812640dde3bd5a7de51c74.jpg

Hrútar - Rams (2015)
    An Icelandic film about sheep farming brothers who haven't spoken to each other in decades... and then a disaster involving their beloved sheep happens... I liked it.

Lady Macbeth (2016)
    Florence Pugh as the lead was the best thing in this, and I'm now interested in seeing her in something else.

Holding the Man (2015)
    Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
    The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)
    Crooked House (2017)
    Wind River (2017)

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oceans 8

I didn't have much expectations going into it. However I did enjoy it. Some slight homages to the original triolgy. Not a bad way to sit on the couch with the wife and it only cost 53 cents for the rental
    A Simple Favor

Well what do you know without Melissa Mcarthy hamming it up Paul Feig can direct a decent thriller and a good film not going to lie that is quite shocking. However this film is far from the simple thriller it appears to be in trailers I will say the movie is quite strong but it has some strange twists and has some interesting taboos

The fact that it deals with incest is kind of strange

I do enjoy how Emily faked her death then became a psycho witch

The way she used sex was interesting

Loved how there were no bad guy roles as usually the males in these kinds of movies are assholes or stupid but both the husband and cop were decen

Hated the gay guy felt he added nothing to the movie but I suppose it’s 2018

A strong recommend and curious to see what others thought

I don’t want Paul feig to be near bond but I would like him to do more serious thrillers

Also Anna Kendrick’s is smoking hot.

Films I have seen in 2018 (I don't think I am splitting up bond and non bond this year as I don't know how many I am actually gonna see)
    1. Batman Begins
    2. Casino Royale
    3. The A-team
    4. Mission impossible fallout
    5. The final girls
    6. Clue
    7. A simple favor
    8. The Saint
    9. Taken 2
    10. The Shadow
    11. Batman Under The Red Hood
    12. Batman Gotham Knight
    13. The Meg
    14. Big trouble little China
    15. Taken
    16. Ferris buller's day off
    17. Valley girl
    18. Nonstop
    19. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    20. Unknown
    21. Classic Artists presents Yes
    22. Stand By Me
    23. Before Sunrise
    24. A walk among the Tombstones
    25. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    26. Goonies
    27. 9012live
    28. Before Midnight
    29. Revenge of the nerds
    30. Grease
    31. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Movies from 2018
    1. Mission impossible fallout
    2. The Meg

Taken Series

1. Taken 2
    2. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. Batman Begins
    2. The A-team
    3. Taken 2
    4. Taken
    5. Non Stop
    6. Unknown
    7. A walk among the tombstones

Batman/Dc films ( as I can guarantee I will see more then just Batman Begins this year)
    1. Batman Begins\
    2. Batman Under the red hood
    3. Batman Gotham Knight
    4. Batman Mask of the Phantasm

Films in 2018
    1. Mission Impossible Fallout
    2. A simple favor
    3. The Meg

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Tinker tailor soldier spy - films narration is absolutely at it's best. Has anyone seen bridge of spies? I would like to know anyone's review on that because I am going to watch it tonight.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mission Impossible: Fallout

What a cracking action fest this is! Carrying on nicely from the previous film this moves superfast although it did feel a tad overlong. The climax is dragged out a bit and it must be the longest 15 minute countdown in cinema history!

Action is top notch and really does raise the bar for EON. The sequences in Paris are thrilling and it's all beautifully edited. Great bathroom fight scene and a dangerous looking footchase over London rooftops are highlights. The film pulls out all the stops for the climax with three simultaneous situations happening at once during the 15 minute countdown. With all these sequences it's hard to tell what Cruise does for real as it's so well shot.

Nice to see Rebecca Ferguson make a return. The Bond makers really missed a trick with this actress. She would make a formidable Bond girl but as yet again EON now follow the pack where once they led.

Once again, this is top notch entertainment. Will definitely be watching this again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tinker tailor soldier spy - films narration is absolutely at it's best. Has anyone seen bridge of spies? I would like to know anyone's review on that because I am going to watch it tonight.

I thought Bridge Of Spies was solid enough, but utterly forgettable.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541

I thought Bridge Of Spies was solid enough, but utterly forgettable.

Any reason why?