Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    boldfinger wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I’m no Turner fan (for Bond) but he’s a significantly better actor than Cavill.
    On all the Fotos I´ve seen he doesn´t show that, he appears to try no less than Cavill.

Photos? Just go and watch something you can actually see him act and then judge?
  • RC7RC7
    On all the Fotos I´ve seen he doesn´t show that, he appears to try no less than Cavill.

Photos?
    I’m no Turner fan (for Bond) but he’s a significantly better actor than Cavill. I’ve always thought he lacked a certain something, but I’d take him in a heartbeat if the alternative was Cavill.

I think they're pretty much even. To me anyway. Their look is fine, it's their acting skills I find lacking. And Cavill seems made of plastic now, don't know why.

I must confess I prefer the idea of Richard Madden. Height aside, what's so un Bondian about his look for some?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I’m no Turner fan (for Bond) but he’s a significantly better actor than Cavill. I’ve always thought he lacked a certain something, but I’d take him in a heartbeat if the alternative was Cavill.

I think they're pretty much even. To me anyway. Their look is fine, it's their acting skills I find lacking. And Cavill seems made of plastic now, don't know why.

I must confess I prefer the idea of Richard Madden. Height aside, what's so un Bondian about his look for some?

Madden doesn't look Bond to me, at all. More like 006, or even Leiter. Haha.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

This.

Photos?
    Pictures taken by a camera.

• RC7RC7

Photos?

What about ‘acting’, though, rather than ‘posing’?
    I know it probably shouldn't be, but the height is my main issue with Madden. Even though they can work around it somewhat with cameras, I feel they're stretching it a bit with Craig already.

That being said, he's not the worst choice.
  • Cavill can't act. EON really do have better taste than that.
  • RC7 wrote: »

Photos?

Why pretend some people know the difference?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Madden as Bond? More like another member of the BTB. =))
    Boyish looking or not, we are a few years off at least before we see the next guy start filming Bond 26 (most likely). Turner might need a few years to "mature" looks wise, while Cavill looks like he could start shooting scenes tonight.
    Maybe, but that photo that @JeremyBondon posted is now getting on to be 4-years-old already. By the time Bond 26 goes into production, Turner would’ve matured even more. Not that I think he looks boyish in that particular drama. I don’t get what @Murdock says by Turner is trying too hard. How’s he trying too hard? It’s a photoshoot for a BBC period drama whereby he was playing a character called Phillip Lombard, not James Bond. I also happen to think Turner was bloody good in it. Some of you people should really check out some of his other work before consigning him to the rejection pile. If you haven’t watched him either And Then There Were None or Poldark, then you’re in no position to criticise his acting.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    I've seen And then there were none but wouldn't waste my time on Poldark.

Agreed Turner was good in it, it was terrific production all round, any BBC Christie adaptation since has been hugely disappointing.

If it comes down to Cavill or Turner I'm on board with Aidan, this is by no means an endorsement.

It's an example for me and others but not all by far that replacing Craig isn't going to be a walk in the park some here think it is.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,333
    And yet there’s always been those doubts when replacing an incumbent 007 @Shardlake. It goes all the way back to Connery, though there comes a time in any actor’s tenure when he is simply too old to continue in the role.

I disagree about Poldark, I think he shows a commanding presence and if one wants to see more of an actor then there’s currently 35 episodes to become more familiar with his range. I know some perhaps see Poldark as not manly enough for their own tastes, as it certainly has a large female audience, but that doesn’t mean Turner isn’t good in it. Look upon it as watching Timothy Dalton in the TV-mini series of the gothic romance Jane Eyre in ‘83. Both were and are historical romances that show the potential of a future Bond. It should be essential viewing for any person posting any antipathetic sentiments about Turner without doing any proper research first.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,335
    bondsum wrote: »
    Boyish looking or not, we are a few years off at least before we see the next guy start filming Bond 26 (most likely). Turner might need a few years to "mature" looks wise, while Cavill looks like he could start shooting scenes tonight.
    Maybe, but that photo that @JeremyBondon posted is now getting on to be 4-years-old already. By the time Bond 26 goes into production, Turner would’ve matured even more. Not that I think he looks boyish in that particular drama. I don’t get what @Murdock says by Turner is trying too hard. How’s he trying too hard? It’s a photoshoot for a BBC period drama whereby he was playing a character called Phillip Lombard, not James Bond. I also happen to think Turner was bloody good in it. Some of you people should really check out some of his other work before consigning him to the rejection pile. If you haven’t watched him either And Then There Were None or Poldark, then you’re in no position to criticise his acting.

I think Turner did quite well in And Then There Were None. Anyone who like a bit of period crime drama can enjoy that mini series. There's a Bond connection too, as Toby Stephens, Charles Dance and Sam Neill (who had a screen test in the 80's) are all a part of the cast.

As for watching candidates act, and not just photos; here's Richard Madden in Bodyguard:

• edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767

Photos?

Something keeps me from watching a film just to see how Turner acts. Possibly my bad. Nevertheless, many of the fotos of Turner turning up here are stills from films, so he´s not posing in them for a picture, but rather in the process of acting.

EDIT: Motivated by that Madden Bodyguard Clip, I actually searched for some Turner Clips. I´m surprised myself a bit, but my Impression is very much the same as from the stills. He Comes across to me like a competent tv Actor, but not big screen material, despite having a strong voice.
    Madden on the other Hand surprised me in a much more positive way.

I think Turner did quite well in And Then There Were None. Anyone who like a bit of period crime drama can enjoy that mini series. There's a Bond connection too, as Toby Stephens, Charles Dance and Sam Neill (who had a screen test in the 80's) are all a part of the cast.

As for watching candidates act, and not just photos; here's Richard Madden in Bodyguard:

I think I´ll watch that Show, it seems to be great! I love the suspenseful minimalistic Sound mix. Madden is Pretty good, it´s rare that such a Young-Looking Actor Comes across as so much in charge. I´m not sure if his mouth Looks anything like James Bond, but I´d sure love if James Bond would talk with that Accent once :-)).

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Well as you say about Turner it isn't about how they 'look', more about whether they can deliver on screen. Of the favourites being bandied about my opinion is that Madden has a little more of the charisma required to pull it off in the near future (just a year or two too soon at the moment). Not entirely convinced that Turner has the same. He looks ok in photos, but acting wise smacks too much of a top TV star who won't make the transition. Madden I think can make it.

Is there a standard on how 006 should look like? What makes Madden looking like 006?

As far as I'm concerned he has a bit of a baby face... But so did Roger Moore to a degree.

I think I´ll watch that Show, it seems to be great! I love the suspenseful minimalistic Sound mix. Madden is Pretty good, it´s rare that such a Young-Looking Actor Comes across as so much in charge. I´m not sure if his mouth Looks anything like James Bond, but I´d sure love if James Bond would talk with that Accent once :-)).

I will try to give Bodyguard a watch too, eventually. Everything I've seen so far is this clip. Bodyguard seems to have become quite popular, so that might be a platform for Madden to get big roles.
    NicNac wrote: »

Well as you say about Turner it isn't about how they 'look', more about whether they can deliver on screen. Of the favourites being bandied about my opinion is that Madden has a little more of the charisma required to pull it off in the near future (just a year or two too soon at the moment). Not entirely convinced that Turner has the same. He looks ok in photos, but acting wise smacks too much of a top TV star who won't make the transition. Madden I think can make it.

The same used to be said of Roger Moore, just a TV star, not a real movie star. I like Madden but his diminutive stature does bother me, if I’m being honest.
  • Wasn't convinced he'd be right for Bond by Game of Thrones but Bodyguard is a nice audition for Madden I think. I reckon he could be good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883

The same used to be said of Roger Moore, just a TV star, not a real movie star. I like Madden but his diminutive stature does bother me, if I’m being honest.
    He's in my rejection pile I'm afraid, irrespective of his acting skills. To me, there's a bit too much Craig in him physically, at least these days after he seems to have bulked up a bit for The Bodyguard based on the clips. They're the same height as well. So despite his reported skills in this series, I cannot endorse him for this role. I'm just not a fan of his look.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've seen And then there were none but wouldn't waste my time on Poldark.

Agreed Turner was good in it, it was terrific production all round, any BBC Christie adaptation since has been hugely disappointing.
    I agree that it probably was the last good Christie adaptation, which is regrettable.
    If it comes down to Cavill or Turner I'm on board with Aidan, this is by no means an endorsement.

It's an example for me and others but not all by far that replacing Craig isn't going to be a walk in the park some here think it is.
    You may have to accept that the next iteration is likely to disappoint you either way, at least in comparison with Craig.
    think Turner did quite well in And Then There Were None. Anyone who like a bit of period crime drama can enjoy that mini series. There's a Bond connection too, as Toby Stephens, Charles Dance and Sam Neill (who had a screen test in the 80's) are all a part of the cast.
    I agree. Turner was quite excellent in And Then There Were None, which is the only thing I've seen him in.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318

I respectively disagree, as the look of Bond is most definitely important to the character. Fleming is quite clear about that and it contributes to the believability of said characterisation. The archetypical tall, dark and handsome with a dangerous twist adds to the character of Bond. Fleming certainly didn't typify him looking like Craig, who imo looks more like a Russian KGB agent. Because of this I never really 'experienced' Craig as Bond, as he just looks too different to me. Madden is a decent actor, but nothing about him, at least to me, seems 'Bondish' to me. To me that is an important criterium. Ymmv.

Is there a standard on how 006 should look like? What makes Madden looking like 006?

As far as I'm concerned he has a bit of a baby face... But so did Roger Moore to a degree.

Regarding 006: "a Royal Marine commando, is mentioned in the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service (could be anyone really)"

Regarding Leiter: "Felix Leiter is James Bond's CIA ally and friend, played a part in six of the Fleming novels. Originally from Texas, he is introduced in Casino Royale as being thin, tall, about thirty-five years old and a former member of the U.S. Marine Corps who was working with the Joint Intelligence Staff of NATO. Fleming named the character after two of his American friends: "Felix" was Ivar Bryce's middle name, whilst Tommy Leiter was a mutual friend. Academic Kerstin Jütting describes Leiter as "a cool and quiet no-nonsense character who knows 007's strengths and weaknesses well". Physically, Fleming describes Leiter in Casino Royale: "a mop of straw-coloured hair lent his face a boyish look which closer examination contradicted"."
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    And yet there’s always been those doubts when replacing an incumbent 007 @Shardlake. It goes all the way back to Connery, though there comes a time in any actor’s tenure when he is simply too old to continue in the role.

I disagree about Poldark, I think he shows a commanding presence and if one wants to see more of an actor then there’s currently 35 episodes to become more familiar with his range. I know some perhaps see Poldark as not manly enough for their own tastes, as it certainly has a large female audience, but that doesn’t mean Turner isn’t good in it. Look upon it as watching Timothy Dalton in the TV-mini series of the gothic romance Jane Eyre in ‘83. Both were and are historical romances that show the potential of a future Bond. It should be essential viewing for any person posting any antipathetic sentiments about Turner without doing any proper research first.

It might be but Poldark doesn't interest me, cozy Sunday T.V is not my thing, I was so relieved when my Wife said she was not interested in watching it.

I've already had to watch all of Downton Abbey and despite all it's trappings it's about as sophisticated as Eastenders & Coronation Street. I doubt Poldark isn't much different.

One actor I touted sometime back although I haven't turned it into a life long crusade, is Tom Hughes.

He has just as a legitimate right to the role as Turner, in fact he's already shown form in a spy drama.

He was in a rather good 60's Le Carresque cold war thriller called The Game on the BBC, Daniel Pemberton did the theme.

Granted he did it in his native Liverpudlian accent but he showed as much form in that role over 6 episodes for me to consider he's as a right to an audition as Turner or Cavill.

He has also playing Prince Albert alongside Jenna Coleman in Victoria, sporting a German accent.

Yet the bookies haven't had him amongst the favourites or he hasn't hardly been mentioned here on the forum.

Watch The Game, I'd say he gives far more of an idea than Turner ever has.

I've cooled on Norton though, I have seen him give good performances and also enjoyed McMafia but I'm not seeing it has much as Hughes.

That being said If Turner was cast I wouldn't boycott the film and would hope he would prove me wrong, at the end of the day it's about Bond and us getting a great film.

So if I had to eat humble pie over it I would be happy to do so, like many had to do over Craig's casting.

Although I maintain that despite those trying to deny DC has changed who wants to play Bond now or who will be cast in the future.

His casting has changed this and if DC had never happened and Pierce had of continued the trajectory of his tenure for few more films with no real change a very different actor would have been his successor.

Possibly the reason why Campbell wanted Cavill over DC is he couldn't see past Brosnan type in the role and maybe Cavill would have easily walked into the role.

Instead they shook up the type of actor they wanted and the approach, hence the type of actor now wanting and being considered has changed, no one would have considered the likes of Hardy for the role before Craig.

Daniel Craig's casting changed the casting of Bond period and I'll eat humble pie if the next actor doesn't have a knock on effect of this and also be influenced by his approach.
    Well Leiter being American and Madden British I think it's both non sequitur and irrelevant to ponder about him playing this particular role. As for 006... There's so little about him in the source material it is pretty pointless as well. The only developed 006 was Alec Trevelyan... Because he became a traitor and the main villain in a movie. Otherwise other 00 agents are little more than background characters. I'd agree that many actors mentioned in this thread have the appearance one would expect of a 00 agent: athletic and otherwise nondescript.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,335
    One actor I touted sometime back although I haven't turned it into a life long crusade, is Tom Hughes.

He has just as a legitimate right to the role as Turner, in fact he's already shown form in a spy drama.

He was in a rather good 60's Le Carresque cold war thriller called The Game on the BBC, Daniel Pemberton did the theme.

Granted he did it in his native Liverpudlian accent but he showed as much form in that role over 6 episodes for me to consider he's as a right to an audition as Turner or Cavill.

He has also playing Prince Albert alongside Jenna Coleman in Victoria, sporting a German accent.

Yet the bookies haven't had him amongst the favourites or he hasn't hardly been mentioned here on the forum.

Watch The Game, I'd say he gives far more of an idea than Turner ever has.

Just finished rewatching The Game last week, actually. It was even better than I remembered it. Great cast (Tom Hughes included) - and a Bond connection too, with Paul Ritter (Guy Haines in QoS), and Rachael Stirling (Diana Rigg's daughter) both featuring. Paul Ritter was really great in The Game , and Tom Hughes was a good fit as the rather mysterious Joe Lambe.

Not sure about Tom Hughes as Bond. He's a good actor I think, but probably has a bit untypical look for the part. But if they can cast Craig, then they can cast Hughes, I guess. Give him a few years and have him put on some weight, and he might become a decent choice.
    bondjames wrote: »
    You may have to accept that the next iteration is likely to disappoint you either way, at least in comparison with Craig.
    Doesn´t that entirely depend on the direction they intend to carry the character? Craig proved that he is extremely good at certain Things and rather weak at other Things, e.g. not every Kind of Humor does work for Craig. The Producers would be rather mad to try and get another Actor in the line of Craig.

@shardlake, I googled Hughes and came across a Clip with him opposite Rufus sewell, and it´s a damn shame Sewell never got to Play Bond. When I read the part in the CR novel closely where Bond examines himself in the Mirror before going into the Casino, I can´t help thinking About Sewell. Give him a cheek scar, and he´s got that pirate look down perfectly.

As for Hughes, I don´t feel anything for or against him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Doesn´t that entirely depend on the direction they intend to carry the character? Craig proved that he is extremely good at certain Things and rather weak at other Things, e.g. not every Kind of Humor does work for Craig. The Producers would be rather mad to try and get another Actor in the line of Craig.
    I certainly agree. They would be foolish to try and get someone in Craig's mold, and historically, they've shaken it up whenever they've recast.

My point is more that individual members have their favourites here, based on their own predilections and life experiences, as well as how they see the character of Bond. I suppose this could also depend on when they became a fan, and how they see the novels in comparison to the films. There really has been a lot of variety here over the past 50+ years, and not everyone is onside with all iterations and interpretations.

I can only imagine that those who think the most highly of Craig, and particularly those who see him as the best since Connery (or even, heaven forbid, better than Connery), may not be as impressed by the next man, particularly because of an inevitable directional change which will follow his eventual departure.