No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Wow... just, wow. Did not expect this at all.

I can't see them changing scripts since casting has already been started, location scouting etc.. Unless they are indeed willing to delay.

Apparently, it was Boyle's decision - unless they formulated it this way for Boyle's reputation.
    bondjames wrote: »
    To be frank, and in retrospect, I never could see how a Boyle Bond film could work. It all seemed highly risky and unusual to me. That was part of the attraction initially after the many years of quiet and rumours, but perhaps this will end up for the best.

That might be cognitive dissonance but I've always been skeptical about it too. People complained about Sam Mendes having too much free reign and now they'd expect Boyle who is maybe a more personal filmmaker to hold back?
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Apparently Campbell and Craig didn't get on well during the CR shoot. If there is any truth to that then I can't see Campbell returning.

Yes, Campbell will only come back if it's a new Bond, which is why I say it's best to cut our losses. Push back Bond 25 until late 2020 and start looking for the next 007 immediately, and secure Campbell. This is very doable in the timeframe of the next couple years.
    Why on EARTH would anyone want to give the first movie of the next Bond actor to Campbell when one of the greatest directors of our time, Christopher Nolan is already waiting in the wings?
    This is great news, perhaps now we can push back Bond 25 until Nov 2020, and start fresh with a new Bond and Campbell can complete his trilogy before he gets too old. That would also be the 25th anniversary of Goldeneye where he first joined the Bond train.
    There is no fresh start if BB and MGW are still producing. The fresh start will come only after they have sold the franchise (preferably to Chris Nolan).

This really makes no sense to me. CR was a fresh start, same producers...
    James Gunn? Just to show Disney what for.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just heard the news online, Eon must be protecting the character so it's probably for the best getting rid of Boyle. Unfortunately it means more delays
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Just heard the news online, Eon must be protecting the character so it's probably for the best getting rid of Boyle. Unfortunately it means more delays

Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new director within the next 6 weeks. There had to have been more directors that EON was after.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new director within the next 6 weeks. There had to have been more directors that EON was after.

Time will tell
  • 007portsmouth007portsmouth Portsmouth
    any think this could be because he was going to make it really ultra violent
    It's true. One of my first thoughts was that a delay was inevitable, and while it's still definitely possible, it can't be completely assumed just yet.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If it took them 3 years to find a director they were happy with, I highly doubt they will be able to find a replacement in 3 months. The only possible scenario I can see that Bond 25 goes ahead with Craig and the same release date is if they get P+W and Mendes back and go with whatever they had planned before Boyle came on board. I can't see Craig going along with that though, given the troubled SP shoot. Hobestly, this is a complete quagmire they've gotten themselves in, and recasting just seem logical at this point.
    If it took them 3 years to find a director they were happy with, I highly doubt they will be able to find a replacement in 3 months. The only possible scenario I can see that Bond 25 goes ahead with Craig and the same release date is if they get P+W and Mendes back and go with whatever they had planned before Boyle came on board. I can't see Craig going along with that though, given the troubled SP shoot. Hobestly, this is a complete quagmire they've gotten themselves in, and recasting just seem logical at this point.

They could also hire a director to simply go ahead with the current script and proceed with what they were working on. I think this is more likely then recasting and basically start from scratch.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Jeffrey wrote: »

They could also hire a director to simply go ahead with the current script and proceed with what they were working on. I think this is more likely then recasting and basically start from scratch.

agreed
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Isn't the Bond filming schedule and post-production notoriously tight for a big project? I've always felt that it was. This seems to favour someone with experience helming something of this nature, unless they really scale it back.

I'd imagine this Hodge script is quite unique, given it was something both Boyle and he came up with. So it may require some tweaks to accommodate a new director's sensibilities.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Jeffrey wrote: »

The script they have what written for Danny Boyle's sensibilities. Without Boyle, what is there to suggest that anyone involved is even interested in filming that? And not forgetting the director would have to find it appealing also.
    Why are some people here assuming they would go back to the P+W script? All the pre-production they have done in the last couple of moths were for the Hodge script. At this point it's pretty much impossible to discard the Hodge script without the movie getting delayed.
    If they can't make it work with Boyle then surely they wouldn't be able to make anything work with Nolan?
  • I do have to wonder what creative differences EON could be having with Boyle. They approved the script there doesn't seem to be that much to argue about at this point, right? Unless I'm completely clueless of the filmmaking process.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited August 2018 Posts: 732
    Marc Forster had way more to offer than the insane editing - QoS HAS stunning visuals, excellent scenes, excellent action. A bit less pacing to fully enjoy the locations, some more and longer scenes. I understand they had to do things to cover for the writer’s strike - but IMHO he directed Craig and the other just great and had a solid concept.

From the list of previous directors Martin Campbell and Marc Forster are the ones I would look forward to with excitement. Mendes was done after SF and SP proved that. No more Mendes, please.
    Trying to look at the positives I am glad this has happened now and not a few months into filming.
    I'm a little hopeful perhaps the reason for Boyle leaving was something as simple as he felt unprepared for a big project or casting idea differences, rather than Hodge's story/script being the problem. If Hodge has a good script to work with and they can quickly find a good, prepared director for the project, our fears can be put to rest. Of course, it's just one of a hundred "ifs."
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If there's any bad blood between EON/MGM and Warner Brothers after the distribution deal fiasco, they could keep the Oct/Nov 2019 release date and hire a female director, then sit back and watch WB sweat it out over there precious WW84 box office figures.
    Has this ever happened in Bond’s history before? I can’t think of any obvious examples.
    giphy.gif
    What the hell?! Really don't know what to reply to this. What sort of mess is this film turning into?

Couple of questions. First relating to the statement:
    "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
    Does Craig have a role in addition to playing the main character that automatically places his name on announcements like this? Or is he in any way connected to the "creative differences" mentioned? This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this.
    I'm not surprised his name is listed frankly. He has co-producer credit and from what I recall reading, he's the one who took Boyle's idea to Broccoli/Wilson. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 'creative differences' pertain to him and Boyle either, because if not, he could have used his leverage with EON to make it work. Eventually, we'll learn more.

I've said this before, but they appear highly reliant on him. I'm not happy about that, but it is what it is, for now.
    giphy.gif
    What the hell?! Really don't know what to reply to this. What sort of mess is this film turning into?

Couple of questions. First relating to the statement:
    "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
    Does Craig have a role in addition to playing the main character that automatically places his name on announcements like this? Or is he in any way connected to the "creative differences" mentioned? This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this.

Isn't DC being given a producers credit on this one? That would include him in the statement. Though I really think the person playing Bond should just play Bond, no need to have that much input into the whole thing.

I've always been under the impression that these producer/co-producer credits is only something they put on the credits "to keep the actor/actress happy", or similar. If Craig does indeed have so much power on the production, it's a bit worrying, IMO. Why should he have that much to say, at all?
    He's had a lot of say in direction etc. since he came on board. I think that was part of the arrangement he had for signing on. Ironically, the film where he probably had the least input is also the one which many see as his most critically successful, namely CR.

I was only under the impression he did some work during the QoS production due to the writers strike. You learn something new every day!

Interesting you should mention that about CR. Not drawing conclusions or anything about the Craig era, but it might be an example of why an actor shouldn't have more involvement than acting. I don't know how much Craig has had to say about direction of the films, etc., but if they need to hire an "artsy" director to keep Craig interested, then this "Boyle saga" might be a learning experience for EON.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm beyond happy because I really wasn't looking forward to it being Danny Boyle film first, and maybe a Bond film second. I would feel more comfortable with a straightforward spy/action thriller Bond in the hands of a "workmanlike" director. On the other hand, i'm worried for what this means for having a film out next year. Surely losing the directer at this late stage, is a fairly large spanner in the works, no?
    It's a hard one, mainly as Danny Boyle was only ever bought in to placate Daniel Craig. Eon wanted to go for a younger and edgier director, but Craig wanted an auteur.

I guess Eon may go back to their original plan and get Daniel to see that they have to go back to a journeyman helmer. Alternatively, Daniel Craig could flick through his rolodex and find an A-list director he works well with.

Possible suggestions include:

Roger Michell
    Sam Mendes
    Martin McDonaugh (he has been pictured with Craig at premieres)
    and my personal favourite David Fincher.

Alternatively, Eon could pull rank and get a journeyman helmer.

Martin McDonaugh would be a fantastic choice! I actually hope they do get him now..can't believe I never thought of him..
    It's interesting that EON announced the news before the press got a little sliver of this beforehand.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Martin McDonaugh would be a fantastic choice! I actually hope they do get him now..can't believe I never thought of him..
    Martin McDonaugh just directed a movie that won 2 acting Oscars and got nominated for Best Picture. He is at the top of the world. Why on Earth would he agree to direct Bond 25 now when the production is in a deep mess?

That's the worst thing about this development: unless the movie is delayed or they get someone they already have a relationship with (Campbell or Mendes), they will have to pick a C- or D-list director. Even Demange would be a dream scenario for them now.
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    Sad, read this on break at work and this bums me out. I am still a somewhat new Bond fan and I am holding this next movie possibility so dearly.

I need another craig bond in my life, then will be okay with a new one.
  • Sources tell Variety that Eon and Boyle were in the early stages of casting the new Bond girl and villain prior to the December production start. Producers will now act quickly to find Boyle’s replacement.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bond-25-danny-boyle-exits-1202911993/