AVTAK
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    TLD
    OP
    LTK
    FYEO
    AVTAK

The first four would probably be in my top ten
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's been a while since I've contemplated this question. No change really. My opinion is pretty much set.

1. OP
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. TLD
    5. AVTAK
    I guess my list will probably be one of a kind :D

LTK
    AVTAK
    TLD
    FYEO
    OP

• GBFGBF
    1. TLD
    2. AVTAK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    -
    5. LTK

The first four are all in my top10.
    This is a tough call, as there is not much to distinguish ie I like all 5 films. Each works quite well in it's own way, but if I must again, as they really do for me fall into a 5-way tie, I will rank thusly..

1. OP Lots going on here. Exciting colourful Bond adventure and with Maud Adams back too. Rog even has some Connery worthy menace moments.

2. LTK. This film has it's own unique vibe. I really like the Fleming LALD touches and Hildebrand Rarity nods. The Bond Sanchez relationship ultimately drives the film I think. A different kind of Bond adventure, kind of like QoS was too, but it works as a change of pace.

3. FYEO. Again I like the nods to Fleming here. Very scenic, atmospheric. Great music, although that goes for the three John Barry films too.

4. AVTAK. One of the more lightweight Bond films, Rog's last hurrah. But I do like the unashamedly escapist nature. The villain plot similar to GF, which was fun. Great locations, colorful characters. Adding the former John Steed, Patrick MacNee was a nice touch.

5 TLD . Again, the nod to Fleming was great. The film plods a bit for me. Dalts takes some getting used to. He seemed a better fit in LTK. As Bond Girls go Kara lacks something. Too innocent I guess. Dalts is way to gagah with her at times especially on the ferris wheel., but still lots of good stuff going on here. The PTS is great. A solid intro segment for the new Bond.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,010
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. VTAK

Although is best overall Bond work is second unit for OHMSS.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote: »
    This is a tough call, as there is not much to distinguish ie I like all 5 films. Each works quite well in it's own way, but if I must again, as they really do for me fall into a 5-way tie, I will rank thusly..

1. OP Lots going on here. Exciting colourful Bond adventure and with Maud Adams back too. Rog even has some Connery worthy menace moments.

2. LTK. This film has it's own unique vibe. I really like the Fleming LALD touches and Hildebrand Rarity nods. The Bond Sanchez relationship ultimately drives the film I think. A different kind of Bond adventure, kind of like QoS was too, but it works as a change of pace.

3. FYEO. Again I like the nods to Fleming here. Very scenic, atmospheric. Great music, although that goes for the three John Barry films too.

4. AVTAK. One of the more lightweight Bond films, Rog's last hurrah. But I do like the unashamedly escapist nature. The villain plot similar to GF, which was fun. Great locations, colorful characters. Adding the former John Steed, Patrick MacNee was a nice touch.

5 TLD . Again, the nod to Fleming was great. The film plods a bit for me. Dalts takes some getting used to. He seemed a better fit in LTK. As Bond Girls go Kara lacks something. Too innocent I guess. Dalts is way to gagah with her at times especially on the ferris wheel., but still lots of good stuff going on here. The PTS is great. A solid intro segment for the new Bond.

I completely disagree with your order, but I love your comments. It's all good!!!
    My order really is quite flexible. It's more a 5-way tie, but if I must stack them, that's how I'll do it, at least on this Monday in this month of August.
    My order really is quite flexible. It's more a 5-way tie, but if I must stack them, that's how I'll do it, at least on this Monday in this month of August.
    That makes it even better.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    TLD
    FYEO
    LTK
    AVTAK
    OP
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 830

Ranking the Glen films is difficult. Feel badly about ranking fyeo so low.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Still the same for me.

1) FYEO
    2) TLD
    3) OP
    4) AVTAK
    5) LTK

Sometimes TLD and OP can swap places, but the others are set in stone.
  • 1. OP
    2. FYEO
    3. AVTAK
    4. TLD
    5. LTK
    1. LTK
    2. OP
    3. TLD
    4. FYEO
    5. AVTAK

I miss the Glen era.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. AVTAK

Although if based purely on action, then LTK is #1 (same for for the series on the whole).
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. AVTAK

Although if based purely on action, then LTK is #1 (same for for the series on the whole).

I concur.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matthaujoes
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,137
    I love the 80s Bonds. My favorite decade.

I can even rank them, which I don't feel like doing when looking at the entire Bond catalogue.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO
    mattjoes wrote: »

I can even rank them, which I don't feel like doing when looking at the entire Bond catalogue.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Curious, does the FYEO lowest rank have anything at all to do with the soundtrack?
    chrisisall wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Curious, does the FYEO lowest rank have anything at all to do with the soundtrack?

Not at all. I love that score.

The ranking of these five films is quite close for me anyway. They're rather even in quality. And they have a similar style.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

It's not that bad... very of its time in fact...

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I find that, by being "of its time", the score provides a healthy contrast to Barry's work, which was more timeless.

Digging that Bee Gees song as I write this.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I find that, by being "of its time", the score provides a healthy contrast to Barry's work, which was more timeless.

Digging that Bee Gees song as I write this.

Extended version. I dig it also.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

The ranking of these five films is quite close for me anyway. They're rather even in quality. And they have a similar style.

That’s because they’re all directed by the unsung genius that is John Glen.

I totally agree. The 80s was an awesome decade for Bond. Okay so AVTAK was a little disappointing but it’s still far more entertaining than anything from the 90s.

Glen had a very consistent and highly entertaining style. Even though most of them aren’t ‘big’ in the TSWLM me sense they’re all well crafted with great action, excellent dramatic moments and obviously 2 of the best Bond actors.

An unsung and under appreciated decade for Bond. If only we had that consistency and entertainment value now instead of ponderous and unconvincing character studies and leaden action.

After the 60s I’d say the 80s were Bond’s greatest decade.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I think Glen's contribution to the series is rather underrated.

For me - the easy winners here are TLD and FYEO - both classy spy-thrillers.
    OP and LTK are solid also, the only real duffer is AVTAK, but even this has it moments (thanks to the solid supporting cast).

Glen was great at action and pacing. The area he occasionally fell down (for me) was humour (TLD, FYEO and LTK perhaps needed just a little more, whereas OP, AVTAK had far too much - and it was often slapstick).
  • StirredNotShakenStirredNotShaken I'm gonna use this to clarify that Dalton is tied with Craig
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. Any one of Glen's non-Bond films
    6. A View to a Kill
    Getafix wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I totally agree. The 80s was an awesome decade for Bond. Okay so AVTAK was a little disappointing but it’s still far more entertaining than anything from the 90s.

Glen had a very consistent and highly entertaining style. Even though most of them aren’t ‘big’ in the TSWLM me sense they’re all well crafted with great action, excellent dramatic moments and obviously 2 of the best Bond actors.

An unsung and under appreciated decade for Bond. If only we had that consistency and entertainment value now instead of ponderous and unconvincing character studies and leaden action.

Yes, a consistent and entertaining decade. The 80s films have a very satisfying mixture of a serious spy feel (more serious than the 70s films, anyway) with a sense of larger-than-life adventure, plus some imaginative and highly exciting action scenes.
  • GBFGBF
    Getafix wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Agree. What I often miss in todays films is suspense. The 80s films were very suspensefull and they had a dark atmosphere. They also used the locations very well. Instead of pointless globe trotting we were brought to interesting locations like the Greek islands, Vienna, Berlin, Bratislava which were all very relevant to the Cold War and therefore added to the authentic spy atmosphere.

Another thing is pacing. For me the Glen films have never get boring. There is usually a good mixture of action, story and drama. The plots are more complicated but still easy enough to follow. James Bond himself is more serious than in the 70s and 90s but his personal involvement is not exaggerated as it is unfortunately in the Craig era.

I agree that the use of slapstick does not work at all. Glen certainly was not very good at bringing humor into his films. The one liners are mostly bad and out of place. But apart from that his films are very well made.
  • 1. A View To A Kill - My first Bond film
    2. For Your Eyes Only; Octopussy; The Living Daylights; Licence To Kill