Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Still the same for me.

1) FYEO
    2) TLD
    3) OP
    4) AVTAK
    5) LTK

Sometimes TLD and OP can swap places, but the others are set in stone.
  • 1. OP
    2. FYEO
    3. AVTAK
    4. TLD
    5. LTK
    1. LTK
    2. OP
    3. TLD
    4. FYEO
    5. AVTAK

I miss the Glen era.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. AVTAK

Although if based purely on action, then LTK is #1 (same for for the series on the whole).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. AVTAK

Although if based purely on action, then LTK is #1 (same for for the series on the whole).

I concur.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,682
    I love the 80s Bonds. My favorite decade.

I can even rank them, which I don't feel like doing when looking at the entire Bond catalogue.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO
    mattjoes wrote: »

I can even rank them, which I don't feel like doing when looking at the entire Bond catalogue.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Curious, does the FYEO lowest rank have anything at all to do with the soundtrack?
    chrisisall wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Curious, does the FYEO lowest rank have anything at all to do with the soundtrack?

Not at all. I love that score.

The ranking of these five films is quite close for me anyway. They're rather even in quality. And they have a similar style.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

It's not that bad... very of its time in fact...

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I find that, by being "of its time", the score provides a healthy contrast to Barry's work, which was more timeless.

Digging that Bee Gees song as I write this.

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I find that, by being "of its time", the score provides a healthy contrast to Barry's work, which was more timeless.

Digging that Bee Gees song as I write this.

Extended version. I dig it also.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

The ranking of these five films is quite close for me anyway. They're rather even in quality. And they have a similar style.

That’s because they’re all directed by the unsung genius that is John Glen.

I totally agree. The 80s was an awesome decade for Bond. Okay so AVTAK was a little disappointing but it’s still far more entertaining than anything from the 90s.

Glen had a very consistent and highly entertaining style. Even though most of them aren’t ‘big’ in the TSWLM me sense they’re all well crafted with great action, excellent dramatic moments and obviously 2 of the best Bond actors.

An unsung and under appreciated decade for Bond. If only we had that consistency and entertainment value now instead of ponderous and unconvincing character studies and leaden action.

After the 60s I’d say the 80s were Bond’s greatest decade.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I think Glen's contribution to the series is rather underrated.

For me - the easy winners here are TLD and FYEO - both classy spy-thrillers.
    OP and LTK are solid also, the only real duffer is AVTAK, but even this has it moments (thanks to the solid supporting cast).

Glen was great at action and pacing. The area he occasionally fell down (for me) was humour (TLD, FYEO and LTK perhaps needed just a little more, whereas OP, AVTAK had far too much - and it was often slapstick).
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. Any one of Glen's non-Bond films
    6. A View to a Kill
    Getafix wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

I totally agree. The 80s was an awesome decade for Bond. Okay so AVTAK was a little disappointing but it’s still far more entertaining than anything from the 90s.

Glen had a very consistent and highly entertaining style. Even though most of them aren’t ‘big’ in the TSWLM me sense they’re all well crafted with great action, excellent dramatic moments and obviously 2 of the best Bond actors.

An unsung and under appreciated decade for Bond. If only we had that consistency and entertainment value now instead of ponderous and unconvincing character studies and leaden action.

Yes, a consistent and entertaining decade. The 80s films have a very satisfying mixture of a serious spy feel (more serious than the 70s films, anyway) with a sense of larger-than-life adventure, plus some imaginative and highly exciting action scenes.
  • GBFGBF

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Agree. What I often miss in todays films is suspense. The 80s films were very suspensefull and they had a dark atmosphere. They also used the locations very well. Instead of pointless globe trotting we were brought to interesting locations like the Greek islands, Vienna, Berlin, Bratislava which were all very relevant to the Cold War and therefore added to the authentic spy atmosphere.

Another thing is pacing. For me the Glen films have never get boring. There is usually a good mixture of action, story and drama. The plots are more complicated but still easy enough to follow. James Bond himself is more serious than in the 70s and 90s but his personal involvement is not exaggerated as it is unfortunately in the Craig era.

I agree that the use of slapstick does not work at all. Glen certainly was not very good at bringing humor into his films. The one liners are mostly bad and out of place. But apart from that his films are very well made.
  • 1. A View To A Kill - My first Bond film
    2. For Your Eyes Only; Octopussy; The Living Daylights; Licence To Kill
    GBF wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Agree. What I often miss in todays films is suspense. The 80s films were very suspensefull and they had a dark atmosphere. They also used the locations very well. Instead of pointless globe trotting we were brought to interesting locations like the Greek islands, Vienna, Berlin, Bratislava which were all very relevant to the Cold War and therefore added to the authentic spy atmosphere.

Another thing is pacing. For me the Glen films have never get boring. There is usually a good mixture of action, story and drama. The plots are more complicated but still easy enough to follow. James Bond himself is more serious than in the 70s and 90s but his personal involvement is not exaggerated as it is unfortunately in the Craig era.

I agree that the use of slapstick does not work at all. Glen certainly was not very good at bringing humor into his films. The one liners are mostly bad and out of place. But apart from that his films are very well made.

Good old fashioned film making. Solid plots, well crafted screenplays, and great pacing.

Like you say, the suspense in those 80s films is brilliantly handled. For all the stick it gets, the clown outfit Bomb-defusing scene in OP is more suspenseful than anything we've had during the Brosnan or Craig eras.

Isn't Glen still alive as well? Forget bringing back Campbell. Bring back Glen!
    GBF wrote: »

1. Op
    2. TLD / LTK
    3. AVTAK
    4. FYEO

Good old fashioned film making. Solid plots, well crafted screenplays, and great pacing.

Like you say, the suspense in those 80s films is brilliantly handled. For all the stick it gets, the clown outfit Bomb-defusing scene in OP is more suspenseful than anything we've had during the Brosnan or Craig eras.

Isn't Glen still alive as well? Forget bringing back Campbell. Bring back Glen!

I'd second that!
  • My John Glen film rankings;

1) For Your Eyes Only
    2) Licence To Kill
    3) The Living Daylights
    4) Octopussy
    5) A View To a Kill
    1) For Your Eyes Only
    2) Licence To Kill
    3) The Living Daylights
    I have a lot of fun in OP & AVTAK, but these three were truly his masterpieces.
    Just, y'know, reverse the order.
    Or not.
    ;)

• chrisisall wrote: »
    1) For Your Eyes Only
    2) Licence To Kill
    3) The Living Daylights
    Or not.
    ;)

FYEO has always been my favorite John Glen film. I love it’s ties to OHMSS, and how it feels like a throwback to the early 60’s Bond films. But I will say that up until recent watching, I found The Living Daylights superior to Licence To Kill. I think the more I watch LTK, the more I come to respect it as a film, and become more appreciative of what it does and how it subverts the standard Bond formula. As much as I love TLD, I have to say I watch, and enjoy LTK more nowadays.
    1) For Your Eyes Only
    2) Licence To Kill
    3) The Living Daylights
    Or not.
    ;)

FYEO has always been my favorite John Glen film. I love it’s ties to OHMSS, and how it feels like a throwback to the early 60’s Bond films. But I will say that up until recent watching, I found The Living Daylights superior to Licence To Kill. I think the more I watch LTK, the more I come to respect it as a film, and become more appreciative of what it does and how it subverts the standard Bond formula. As much as I love TLD, I have to say I watch, and enjoy LTK more nowadays.

TLD and LTK get equal watch for me! Adore both.
    Still have fond memories of seeing Dalton for the first time in TLD in the cinema. Left the cinema elated. Didn't have that feeling again until Craig made his debut in CR!
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    1.FYEO
    2.TLD
    3.LTK
    4.AVTAK
    5.OP
  • 1.Octopussy
    2.The living daylights
    3.For your eyes only
    4.A view to a kill
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,243
    Current John Glen Bond ranking:

1. Licence to Kill
    2. For Your Eyes Only
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. A View to a Kill
    5. Octopussy

LTK is the most unique of these and to me stands out in a good way in the series; the personal angle was handled perfectly and never felt melodramatic. Had one of the series' best villains, great action scenes, a terrific finale, and IMO Dalton's best Bond performance. Using Felix the way they did this time around was just a great idea.

FYEO is noteworthy for being Roger Moore's most down to earth, stripped back Bond film - and it works very well. I think Moore's best Bond performance came out of this film, and it also features a good story and a great Bond girl (I'm talking about Melina, of course). I like the villains too, even though they aren't the best in the series. Only thing that really holds it back is the soundtrack, which does have its moments but is collectively one of the series' weakest.

TLD has one of the series' best PTSs and best soundtracks, and generally a very good first two-thirds. Dalton is decent as Bond, but I think he does better in LTK. Kara is okay. The villains are pretty weak I think (Necros is the best but I'd still say only okay). The last third of the film drags it down. Overall a good Bond film for sure but some flaws hold it back.

AVTAK has one of the best Bond villains (Max), but also one of the worst Bond girls (Stacey). Moore's age is a little distracting at times, but he still does fine overall. It has some bad corny moments and isn't one of the best-made Bond films by any stretch (it’s probably the most flawed of Glen’s films), but it does have a certain charm to it and is definitely memorable. The action is some of the series' weakest. One more thing I should mention though is that the title song and soundtrack are awesome.

OP is still a good Bond film, but currently I have it ranked last of Glen's films. Moore is good, the villains are good, the Bond girls are okay. I think this one has a pretty weak finale though, save for the fun scene on the plane. I'm not crazy about the PTS or much of the film's second half (it does have some great bits still like the train and plane scenes). It has its moments for sure and is pretty fun but lately I haven't been as happy with it as I used to be.

I'd say I love LTK and FYEO, and like TLD, AVTAK, and OP. They're all pretty memorable, fun Bond outings for my money. Glen is one of my favorite Bond directors, somewhere close after Terrence Young and Martin Campbell.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    My very favorite Glen film is FYEO.
    Second would be TLD.
    Second would be TLD.

"Have a nice fright?"
    I have to admit this is the best Moore film IMO. I actually love the PTS a lot. Ties it into OHMSS nicely. But the Dalton films are where my heart lies...
    sviIvKw.jpg
    Second would be TLD.

"Have a nice fright?"
    I have to admit this is the best Moore film IMO. I actually love the PTS a lot. Ties it into OHMSS nicely. But the Dalton films are where my heart lies...
    sviIvKw.jpg

Good man. As do mine! Marvellous pair of Bond films!
  • TLD
    FYEO
    AVTAK
    OP
    LTK