No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    but critically you've not seen a blockbuster grab these kind of reviews since TDK.
    Mad Max: Fury Road.

Seriously, the critical reception os M:I 6 is not miles above the critical reception Skyfall received. Numerically it's a tiny bit better (86 vs 81 on metacritic), and if you look behind the numbers, you could argue Fallout's critical reception is worse than Skyfall's was. Remember, it's Skyfall's critical reception + cultural phenomenon status that propelled it to 5 Academy Award nominations. There is no way Fallout will get nominated for 5 Oscars.
    The metracritic scores have no relevance on the Oscars. The Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences has 6,261 voting members. The entire body votes for best picture. Nominations for most of the remaining categories are determined by the balloting of the academy's various branches. Maybe you’re confusing The Critics' Choice Movie Awards (formerly known as the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award) with how the Oscar nominations are decided?
    Seriously? Okay. I will explain what I meant. Just for you. When it comes to the Oscars, reviews do matter, especially when it comes to Oscar chances to big spectacles such as Skyfall and M:I Fallout. So yes, metracritic scores DO have a relevance on the Oscars.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me @PanchitoPistoles. I don’t know what I’d do without your astute observations and mystical insight into how the world works.

On second thoughts, just for you, don’t bother.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    There should be a thread for this, yes! Somehow, I think there was ... at least for titles ... @DarthDimi?? @NicNac?? (Goldenshire, etc. - see my and Torgeirtrap's ramblings above). ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    TripAces wrote: »
    FWIW:

Google search for "James Bond": 68 million hits
    Google search for "Ethan Hunt": 4 million hits

Ethan Hunt has a long, long way to go

Indeed.

Pretty much everyone knows who James Bond is, no matter their age, gendre, nationality and culture. Fewer people know who Hunt is.
    Walecs wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    FWIW:

Google search for "James Bond": 68 million hits
    Google search for "Ethan Hunt": 4 million hits

Ethan Hunt has a long, long way to go

Indeed.

Pretty much everyone knows who James Bond is, no matter their age, gendre, nationality and culture. Fewer people know who Hunt is.

True. They'd only know the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE franchise name, and that Tom Cruise is in it. They may vaguely be aware that the films were based off a television series, but almost certainly would not know the series only existed because of Bondmania.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Really like the idea of a Maori henchman. It seems that the days of Grant clones are finally gone.
    Well, just as long as they haven't replaced Grant with the forgettable Mr. Kil as inspiration. Lawrence Makoare was the last Maori henchman we had.

I understand they want the henchman to be a real physical threat.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I just feel that DC backlash has been growing momentum since those that disliked SF and couldn't understand it's positive word of mouth, that being said it got nothing like MI 6 is now getting, that's more like TDK, possibly the most acclaimed blockbuster since then it seems.
    Stop rewriting history. Skyfall was a cultural phenomenon across the globe and it became the seventh highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide). Sure, MI6 got a little bit better reviews (86 vs 81 on metacritic) but it's nowhere near the penomenon Skyfall was.

Don't kid yourself. Skyfall's phenomena wasn't down to the movie alone. There were other major contributing factors; the obvious one being the Olympics segment. MI:Fallout relied only on itself as a film and the star power of its leading actor. Tom Cruise is bigger than Ethan Hunt and any Bond actor for that matter.

SF was a phenomenon because it resonated with a huge number of people across a broad demographic. The Olympics connection is overstated.

It definitely resonated with a large number of people but at the same time, based on my experience and interactions with people it was the Olympics and heavy push of the 50th anniversary that ushered the film to achieve the reception and status it got.

I don’t really see any significant evidence for that. The numbers it did were down to positive word of mouth and repeat viewings. The film itself did the heavy lifting.

Fair enough and I agree with most of that but I'm also not convinced that the Olympics and the 50th anniversary weren't huge contributing factors; especially as I know for a fact that many people only saw the film for those reasons alone.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There should be a thread for this, yes! Somehow, I think there was ... at least for titles ... @DarthDimi?? @NicNac?? (Goldenshire, etc. - see my and Torgeirtrap's ramblings above). ;)

I’m sure you’re right. Get to it @DarthDimi
    Really like the idea of a Maori henchman. It seems that the days of Grant clones are finally gone.
    Well, just as long as they haven't replaced Grant with the forgettable Mr. Kil as inspiration. Lawrence Makoare was the last Maori henchman we had.

Exactly. “Maori henchman” = Die Another Day

Not exciting or ground breaking in Bond terms.

You do wonder sometimes whether the writers and directors have actually seen the more recent films. I got that sense with Mendes a lot. His belief that using the DB5 was somehow a novel new idea being an obvious example.

Can only hope the Maori henchman is done better this time.

Are there places in New Zealand that could be an interesting (and likely) spot to film some scenes? No doubt there's a lot to choose from!

Bond could be up against a Maori henchman anywhere in the world of course, but NZ would be an interesting location to use.
    Getafix wrote: »

You do wonder sometimes whether the writers and directors have actually seen the more recent films. I got that sense with Mendes a lot. His belief that using the DB5 was somehow a novel new idea being an obvious example.

The fact that Mr Kil was a Maori was irrelevant to the character's and the movie's issues. It's like saying let's not have blonde Bond girls anymore because Miranda Frost was blonde.

We had a lot of Grant clone henchmen, starting from YOLT. A second Maori henchman, this time a more fleshed out menace, I think I can live with that. And while I'm no fan of Danny Boyle and have my reservations about him, he's no Tamahori.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

The fact that Mr Kil was a Maori was irrelevant to the character's and the movie's issues. It's like saying let's not have blonde Bond girls anymore because Miranda Frost was blonde.

We had a lot of Grant clone henchmen, starting from YOLT. A second Maori henchman, this time a more fleshed out menace, I think I can live with that. And while I'm no fan of Danny Boyle and have my reservations about him, he's no Tamahori.
    I'm sure the new Maori will surpass the prior one. I mean really, how can he not? The bar is quite low, to say the least. I was just pointing out the coincidence earlier.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised by the casting call focusing on nationalities. I mean, who cares really? Is it that relevant in an acting profession?

As an example, Jeremy Irons, Matthias Schoenaerts, Charlotte Rampling and JLaw played the most convincing Russians I've seen on film this entire year in Red Sparrow, and none of them are from there. Schoenaerts in particular was brilliant and the spitting image (albeit taller) of the Russian president.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,157
    Frankly I'm a bit surprised by the casting call focusing on nationalities. I mean, who cares really? Is it that relevant in an acting profession?

Perhaps it is from a story point of view. You're right, you don't need to be Russian to play a Russian, but who knows? Perhaps they speak Russian at some point in the movie and the producers/Boyle want a realistic accent.
    Walecs wrote: »

Perhaps it is from a story point of view. You're right, you don't need to be Russian to play a Russian, but who knows? Perhaps they've got speak Russian at some point in the movie and the producers/Boyle want a realistic accent.
    Fair point.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Regarding nationalities, sure most people doesn't care about if the guy playing a Russian is Russian himself. I can understand that looking strange too; for example in The Snowman (which I've yet to watch), which is set in Norway, yet only features one Norwegian in the entire cast (that's credited, at least).
    Regarding nationalities, sure most doesn't care about if the guy playing a Russian is Russian himself. I can understand that looking strange too; for example in The Snowman (which I've yet to watch), which is set in Norway, yet only features one Norwegian in the entire cast (that's credited, at least).
    I get your point. Sometimes when they insist on someone with a particular nationality being in a film it's because the film itself is being set in such location, and local content rules mandate a certain domestic inclusion.

I hope that's the case, because I'd love to see a Bond film set in Moscow.
    Personally if the locations are

London
    Paris
    Moscow
    New Zealand

I would be fine with that.... though is it just me or have the last two films been not as tropical as I would of liked... I mean Spectre was better then Skyfall (sorry I don’t care how the grey-ness of the film portrays the characters termoik it’s dark bland and not exciting to look at)

Like I said we will learn more soon enough.
    Regarding nationalities, sure most doesn't care about if the guy playing a Russian is Russian himself. I can understand that looking strange too; for example in The Snowman (which I've yet to watch), which is set in Norway, yet only features one Norwegian in the entire cast (that's credited, at least).
    I get your point. Sometimes when they insist on someone with a particular nationality being in a film it's because the film itself is being set in such location, and local content rules mandate a certain domestic inclusion.

That would be great. I guess the Russians aren't shy of trying to attract tourists over there, when there just was a World Cup there too.

The strange thing with The Snowman, is that it filmed here, set here, yet features five Swedish actors! There's also - I think it was Shetland (the UK crime series) which had an episode partly set in Norway. Yet, for several of the Norwegian roles they had hired Swedish and Icelandic actors. They were supposed to speak Norwegian, something they weren't close to doing. Have only read about this, and not seen the episode myself.

So, if they are looking for specific nationalities, that might have to do with dialogue, etc. - which should be somewhat close to how it's meant to be spoken.

That would be great. I guess the Russians aren't shy of trying to attract tourists over there, when there just was a World Cup there too.

The strange thing with The Snowman, is that it filmed here, set here, yet features five Swedish actors! There also - I think it was Shetland (the UK crime series) which had an episode partly set in Norway. Yet, for several of the Norwegian roles they've hired Swedish and Icelandic actors. They were supposed to speak Norwegian, something they weren't close to doing. Have only read about this, and not seen the episode myself.

So, if they are looking for specific nationalities, that might have to do with dialogue, etc. - which should be somewhat close to how it's meant to be spoken.
    It's a great point you make about casting and accents.

I'm not sure if you've seen the Angelina Jolie starring Taking Lives (2004). The film was meant to be set in Montreal, but they cast Frenchmen Tcheky Karyo and Olivier Martinez in prominent roles. Well, the French Canadian accent (even when speaking English) is quite different from the French one (I much prefer the latter, which has a nice flow to it), and it took me out of the film.

The strange thing with The Snowman, is that it filmed here, set here, yet features five Swedish actors! There also - I think it was Shetland (the UK crime series) which had an episode partly set in Norway. Yet, for several of the Norwegian roles they've hired Swedish and Icelandic actors. They were supposed to speak Norwegian, something they weren't close to doing. Have only read about this, and not seen the episode myself.

I'm not sure if you've seen the Angelina Jolie starring Taking Lives (2004). The film was meant to be set in Montreal, but they cast Frenchmen Tcheky Karyo and Olivier Martinez in prominent roles. Well, the French Canadian accent (even when speaking English) is quite different from the French one (I much prefer the latter, which has a nice flow to it), and it took me out of the film.

I haven't seen that film, but it's no surprise that the accent issue took you out of the film. It's probably only an issue for those who can't help but noticing it, but it's an issue worth addressing - if possible. If the focus on nationalities can address that, it's a positive.

There is no doubt other reasons why they are so specific too.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

I haven't seen that film, but it's no surprise that the accent issue took you out of the film. It's probably only an issue for those who can't help but noticing it, but it's an issue worth addressing - if possible. If the focus on nationalities can address that, it's a positive.

Yes, I agree. It makes sense.

Taking Lives isn't bad though. Worth a watch.

I'm sure the new Maori will surpass the prior one. I mean really, how can he not? The bar is quite low, to say the least. I was just pointing out the coincidence earlier.

As an example, Jeremy Irons, Matthias Schoenaerts, Charlotte Rampling and JLaw played the most convincing Russians I've seen on film this entire year in Red Sparrow, and none of them are from there. Schoenaerts in particular was brilliant and the spitting image (albeit taller) of the Russian president.

The Bond franchise in recent years has gone for non British actors as villains which may explain why they are looking for a Russian to play a Russian. Although I don't think it's necessary and may not be possible I am very much in favor of the non British actors as villains trend.

Added to my "to watch" list! Looks like an interesting plot.

I'm Quebecker and that movie was a complete joke: the accents were all wrong, they had French siren on police cars and the Chateau Frontenac is featured...

I'm Quebecker and that movie was a complete joke: the accents were all wrong, they had French siren on police cars and the Chateau Frontenac is featured...
    That was pretty amusing. Kiefer got a small part too, presumably to up the Canadian content.
    Anyway I have an hypothesis about why a Maori : I understand many Maori actors were used to play Orca in LOTR and The Hobbit. I might be wrong, but could it be that there's a fair pool of actors of Maori origins who can be physically imposing and capable stuntmen?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    An ork henchman would be awesome.
    An ork henchman would be awesome.

Well I didn't mean that, but the movies may have developed a pool of actors suitable for such role.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Something just occurred to me.
    When was the last time the bond producers had a real film director helm a film

San mendes maybe
    Guy Hamilton?

Otherwise they are usually unknowns who have directed a few films here and there

And now we have Danny Boyle AND HIS OWN script writer

This may be the weirdest most insane most different bond film ever. I don’t think we know what to expect.
    Lewis Gilbert not a proper film director?