Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    +1
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Henry Cavill is a damp squib.

Sure, he's pretty. Sure, he looks like he could be James Bond. But in exactly the way vanilla and boring way that Pierce Brosnan suited the part.

Cavill is just wrong for the role. His persona is so laboured and cringeworthy. His disastrous PR skills will pretty much grind his entire career to a halt any day now.

He's also a horrible actor. An uncharacteristic piece of wood that has the range of toothbrush. He'd be a HUGE step down after Craig.

In the last few years, he has:

- Appeared in numerous poor DC films giving bad performances as Superman.
    - He isn't a box office draw with all his movies underperforming (even the Superman films).
    - He can't book a good role in pretty much anything. His next film is called 'Nomis' - what even is that? He's Superman, his agent can surely get him better gigs.
    - He's a conservative working in the very liberal Hollywood which hasn't helped him.
    - He's spoken out against the #MeToo movement (which is the dumbest thing anyone in Hollywood could do right now if they want to be employed).
    - He admitted he only does films for money and has no regard for the art.
    - He had a weird thing a few years ago when he was dating a seventeen-year-old and had to publicly defend himself.
    - His personality sucks. He'd kill the Bond press tour and everyone would hate him.

This guy just isn't what Eon need after Daniel Craig quits. However, he really looks the part. I mean, you'd struggle to find a picture of Cavill not looking Bondian.

maxresdefault.jpg

However, I don't think that means anything. After all, Craig looked very unBondian up until 2006. You just need the potential.

gallery-1487242013-danielcraigbond.jpg

Ow,that's a bit below the belt isn't it.
    I know its your opinion but that's almost hate mail against Cavill.

lol

Cheers pal, I'm sure Henry Cavill feels personally assaulted by the comments of a nobody on the internet.

I like Henry Cavill, I think he's a gorgeous man with a perfect face. I just don't think he should play the part of Bond.

I do agree that you don't have to be a 'great' actor to play Bond. But I fel there are better choices. If they wanted to go in the direction of a more classical Bond, than there are better options then boring old Henry Cavill.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    You know what? It seems to me that there are those that dislike Cavill so much that they will use anything in their ammunition or power to discredit him. Ooh, he said something that offended a couple of people on the poxy social media. Big friggin deal! When someone points out that Connery himself said something far worse about some women needing a good slap just prior to TB’s release, it’s apparently considered classy. Give it a rest already, please. Cavill’s comment has already blown over and it was a storm in a teacup compared to Connery’s infamous Playboy interview. Move along, there’s nothing to be had here.

The list of reasons @Pierce2Daniel put forward was actually pretty accurate. It appears that the sticking point in the thread is this ill-informed rape comment, which is convenient because it draws the conversation away from what really matters - that the guy doesn’t have the chops, charisma or wit to pull it off.

To the vast majority of us the comment carries no weight, but it’s one of a number of instances that single him out as being a very naive, immature bloke who has neither the savvy nor intelligence to avoid these sorts of situations nor does he have the conviction to counter them. He comes across as a bumbling public schoolboy who’s still wet behind the ears. That’s not who I personally want as an ambassador for Bond but others are welcome to him if that’s their thang.

After all, if you’re bringing jack all to the table in terms of ability, just a mere generic Bondian ‘look’, the least you can do is hold court with the press.

As for those using ‘anything in their power to discredit him’, I think you’re being a tad melodramatic don’t you? @Pierce2Daniel put forward a largely comprehensive list of reasons the guy is unsuitable and states the obvious fact that beyond the aesthetics there’s not a lot to get behind and a lot more to put one off.

@RC7 Perfect post! I couldn't agree with you more.

I couldn't care less about Cavill's "Me Too" comments. Personally, I actually do agree with what he intended to say.

The issue I have is that he voiced them so publicly. He's an actor who's under-delivered in the Superman role and currently is out promoting his supporting role in a Mission Impossible movie (make no mistake, not many people are rushing out to see Cavill this weekend but Tom Cruise doing awesome stunts). Then he makes stupid boneheaded comments which pretty much renders him unemployable.

His disastrous press tour for Batman v Superman even led to articles:
    https://jezebel.com/henry-cavills-press-tour-for-batman-v-superman-has-been-1765323349

This article is hilarious - mainly as the quotes from Cavill are a perfect summation of white middle-class angst. This dude makes me cringe.

However, I feel we are all overlooking the most important thing here. You can't play two established cinematic icons.

Superman can't be James Bond.

landscape_movies-man-of-steel-henry-cavill-flying.jpg
    Of course Superman can be James Bond. One part doesn't exclude the other.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    He was a Superman
    He had a super moustache
    He'll be a super agent ;-)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2018 Posts: 7,989
    Ford played Indiana Jones and Han Solo and Jack Ryan.

Stallone played Rocky and Rambo.

Cruise is doing Ethan Hunt and Maverick

Of course an actor can successfully portray yup Ivonic characters. That is a non-issue

Of course an actor can successfully portray yup Ivonic characters. That is a non-issue

Cruise is doing Jack Reacher as well,even !

• edited July 2018 Posts: 3,333
    @RC7. I respect you and the vast majority of your opinions, but I think it’s you, in this instance, that’s being a tad melodramatic over this “rape” comment of Cavill’s. In all honesty I could care less, too, about his comment or Connery’s giving a woman a good slap, for that matter. But did Connery handle it any better afterwards? The answer to that is a resounding no. What Connery said caused a far bigger backlash and sensational column inches than Cavill’s personal observation ever did. Personally, I can understand where he’s coming from in these present day McCarthy witch-hunt times as an unmarried man in Hollywood. You’re damned before you’ve even been given a hearing. But again, it’s not anything to detract from Cavill as a possible Bond candidate. If you don’t like him as an actor, fine. State your case. But let’s not judge him solely on a couple of facile Tweets.

By the way, I’ve just seen Cavill in Fallout and I think he gave a truly solid performance. Nothing wooden or two-dimensional about it. Did I think of Superman whilst watching him @Pierce2Daniel? Nah, I’m an adult and understand that he’s an actor playing a different role. Just like when I watched Harrison Ford play Jack Ryan, I didn’t immediately think of Indiana Jones or Han Solo. If you can’t separate the actor from the character he’s playing then you’re either a kindergarten toddler or you’re an adult in need of some psychiatric help. Plus, you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel when you have to cite Jezebel.com for reasons why he’s unsuitable for Bond or Superman.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,400

Sadly, you are wrong.

Both Indy and Solo were original characters that Ford played originated. There was no expectation that the roles would become iconic. It's not as though someone else played those roles first and Ford is another actor playing the role.

Once again, both are ogrinial characters that became iconic due to Stallone's performances

Hunt was an original character in the Mission Impossible films and Maverick was an original character that became iconic as a result of Cruise.

The question here is entirely different. Both Bond and Superman are well-established characters.

By your logic, we could have had Harrison Ford play Bond.
    You powers of manipulative rationalization are amazing, but in the end, you are wrong; those are all valid examples of an actor playing multiple iconic characters no matter their origins.
    You’re putting out smoke
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You’re putting out smoke
    Isn't he always?
    Actually Rambo was not an original character as First Blood was a novel first. Great book by the way. If we were to adapt it faithfully this time (I'd be all in favor of it), there'll be loads of fanboys whining that this Rambo is not the true Stallone one.

But I digress. I agree with @Pierce2Daniel : you can't compare a role that has been made iconic with one that is already established as iconic. I'd also add re Tom Cruise that many of his roles are basically vehicles for the iconic actor that he is.
    I get your points, @Pierce2Daniel, but I can't agree with you on the idea that one major role (played by others before or not) automatically excludes another role. In the ever changing world of cinema we're bound to see some actors taking on more than one major role - and one day Bond might be one of those.

Christian Bale is another example, as he's been mentioned here more than a few times. By your logic, he can't play Bond because he's played Batman. I don't think anyone would have raised an eyebrow had he been cast.
    In the end, a character’s origins mean nothing to the overwhelming majority of the movie going public; they see an actor in a role. Dissecting what made that character iconic is irrelevant.
    Cavill playing Superman has no effect on his being accepted as Bond .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Sadly, you are wrong.

Both Indy and Solo were original characters that Ford played originated. There was no expectation that the roles would become iconic. It's not as though someone else played those roles first and Ford is another actor playing the role.

Once again, both are ogrinial characters that became iconic due to Stallone's performances

Hunt was an original character in the Mission Impossible films and Maverick was an original character that became iconic as a result of Cruise.

The question here is entirely different. Both Bond and Superman are well-established characters.

By your logic, we could have had Harrison Ford play Bond.

He was considered after Moore, as was Christopher Reeve.

I get your points, @Pierce2Daniel, but I can't agree with you on the idea that one major role (played by others before or not) automatically excludes another role. In the ever changing world of cinema we're bound to see some actors taking on more than one major role - and one day Bond might be one of those.

Christian Bale is another example, as he's been mentioned here more than a few times. By your logic, he can't play Bond because he's played Batman. I don't think anyone would have raised an eyebrow had he been cast.

I do agree with you.

Also, of course I understand that actors play multiple roles and those parts can be regarded as "iconic" characters. However, there is a big difference between orginating an iconic character on screen and taking the mantle of an iconic character.

Indiana Jones and Harrison Ford are synonymous with on another. Making an Indy film without him would be a struggle. Meanwhile, the Bond role can recycle through actors because it is the character that is iconic.

However, speaking from a commercial perspective there is an evident issue of brand identity when hiring an actor associated with another character. I mean Superman isn't an ordinary role, it's a big deal and once you take a part like that it may be difficult for a studio to want to attach another series to that actor. Especially if that actor hasn't proven successful in that other franchise (Man of Steel was projected to do better, BvS was supposed to hit a $1b but made less money than Spectre and Justice League was a legitimate flop).

Finally, Eon will not want to share Cavill with Warner Bros. If Eon wanted Cavill then they'd want him to ditch Warner. There would be plenty of studio types and scheduling issues that would stop him playing both roles.

If Cavill was to resign from the Superman gig, then I'd be the first to admit that he was a legitimate contender for the 007 role. Currently, he is not.

• RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512
    @RC7. I respect you and the vast majority of your opinions, but I think it’s you, in this instance, that’s being a tad melodramatic over this “rape” comment of Cavill’s. In all honesty I could care less, too, about his comment or Connery’s giving a woman a good slap, for that matter. But did Connery handle it any better afterwards? The answer to that is a resounding no. What Connery said caused a far bigger backlash and sensational column inches than Cavill’s personal observation ever did. Personally, I can understand where he’s coming from in these present day McCarthy witch-hunt times as an unmarried man in Hollywood. You’re damned before you’ve even been given a hearing. But again, it’s not anything to detract from Cavill as a possible Bond candidate. If you don’t like him as an actor, fine. State your case. But let’s not judge him solely on a couple of facile Tweets.

Believe me, first and foremost I’m judging him as an actor and for me he doesn’t cut the mustard. The key thing is charisma and for such a handsome bloke he’s found wanting. It’s Blonde Bimbo syndrome. There’s just nothing else there beyond the facade. Everything is ‘acted’ and it’s all so one note.

If, for example, he were a sub-par actor (which he is, relatively speaking) in possession of some genuine charm and wit and presence (think Jason Statham) then I could buy into him.

EDIT: He wouldn’t play Bond while playing Superman. EON wouldn’t have it. End of discussion.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185

Finally, Eon will not want to share Cavill with Warner Bros. If Eon wanted Cavill then they'd want him to ditch Warner. There would be plenty of studio types and scheduling issues that would stop him playing both roles.

If Cavill was to resign from the Superman gig, then I'd be the first to admit that he was a legitimate contender for the 007 role. Currently, he is not.

Well i agree for once.
    EoN will not want to share him with WB, no matter what.
    But at the moment i don't even know if Man of Steel 2 is a go.
    Henry seems to have plenty of time to do other films like Mission Impossible.
    But anything can happen in the next 3-4 years, and DC is not in a healthy place right now.

Edit: This quote is from last November:
    “There’s a wonderful opportunity to tell the Superman story,” Cavill continued, revealing that his current contract with DC and Warner Bros. runs for one more movie.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    You powers of manipulative rationalization are amazing, but in the end, you are wrong; those are all valid examples of an actor playing multiple iconic characters no matter their origins.
    You’re putting out smoke

You are missing the point. How many franchsies is Daniel caurrenlty in. How many was Brosnan in? Dalton? Moore?....
    The answer is none. Apart from a few films here or there it’s not like they were committed to another triple A movie series
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 12,837
    RC7 wrote: »

Believe me, first and foremost I’m judging him as an actor and for me he doesn’t cut the mustard. The key thing is charisma and for such a handsome bloke he’s found wanting. It’s Blonde Bimbo syndrome. There’s just nothing else there beyond the facade. Everything is ‘acted’ and it’s all so one note.

If, for example, he were a sub-par actor (which he is, relatively speaking) in possession of some genuine charm and wit and presence (think Jason Statham) then I could buy into him.

EDIT: He wouldn’t play Bond while playing Superman. EON wouldn’t have it. End of discussion.

That's just it for me. Looks the part but nothing else. If we compare him to Brosnan (who's similar in the sense that they both had the perfect pop culture image of Bond sort of look) the difference is night and day imo. No charm, presence or charisma there. He had the chance to convince me in UNCLE and he just didn't. Put Pierce in there and he would have at least made it enjoyable like he did his weaker Bond films. I thought Cavill was just bland, almost robotic.

Not sure why everyone is suddenly advocating him but luckily I genuinely don't think Barbara would ever cast him, Superman or not. Just doesn't seem her kind of actor at all, thank god.
    You’re putting out smoke

But he's not wrong is he?
    You’re putting out smoke

You are missing the point. How many franchsies is Daniel caurrenlty in. How many was Brosnan in? Dalton? Moore?....
    The answer is none. Apart from a few films here or there it’s not like they were committed to another triple A movie series

Countering with these examples, and endless others, does nothing to prove that an actor can’t play multiple, even iconic, roles,
    That seems to be the point you’re missing.

edited July 2018 Posts: 7,989
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    You’re putting out smoke

Without a doubt he is.

This has gotten to be the equivalent of a political discussion where minds are never going to be changed. I’m moving on from this one . ;)
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    You’re putting out smoke

Without a doubt he his

But those were original characters that played to their star status (or made them stars).
    Meaningless when it comes to the question of an actor playing two iconic characters. It doesn’t matter if the chicken or egg came first.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Buster Crabbe played Tarzan, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That's the same problem with Craig. He doesn't draw you in. Usually the next actors will fill in the weaknesses of the departing actor. One example is Moore leaving the and being replaced by Dalton, who brought in the hard edge that Moore never liked to portray.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think Henry cavill would make a good bond but is he too broad and strong to be bond. He looks more like a henchman to me. Or am I wrong. Craig is tough and strong but he isn’t a body builder like Henry Apears to be.
    He certaily is't for those, who find DC to be too buff.
    Like Hemsworth, Cavill traines and eats a great deal for the role of Superman; both are much less bulky when not in Superhero mode. If chosen, he would come in at s Bond appropriate size and weight.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 699
    Yes! Indeed