Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If MI6 is really good, and makes over 750 million at the boxoffice, and they get quickly underway on planning MI7, then perhaps that will give EON the boot up the backside they need to actually get back in the race, and avoid the artistic tangents for the near future. I think there's a good chance we won't have to wait very long for the next mission impossible film, the most negative thing I have heard about fallout so far is that it isn't as good as Rogue Nation or Ghost Protocol. Many of the reviews are glowing praise.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Interesting article regarding the impact Tom Cruise's injury had on the film (also references EON's Rhythm Section in contrast):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-fallout-budget-hits-series-high-tom-cruise-injury-1129554
    Basically IM films are like the Bond films of the yester years. I think so, as MI films are better than most of modern Bond films. Every new entry brings something new and exciting
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Just back from the cinema to see mission impossible fallout.

Good lord. That was stunningly excellent. I was a big fan of rogue nation but this is even better.

The cinematography, music, stunts, locations, all perfect.

I honestly can’t think of a single criticism. Well, there is the fact that the identity of the villain is signposted, but never mind.

Seriously, they even had an actual cliffhanger. On a cliff.

Very nice to see Rebecca Ferguson again. Vanessa Kirby has a relatively small part but she owns it.

Right. I’m off to have a cup of tea.
    Looking forward to getting into spoiler chats on this.
    Is it too early to get a discussion going on it with the relevant spoiler tags or would the majority rather we wait until after the weekend?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,368
    I say spoilers are fine as long as they're kept in spoiler tags for now. Think it's time for me to avoid the thread until I see it, I'm already reading too much into these thoughts as it is. Hoping to see it this weekend but who knows.
    Cool, thanks @Creasy47!

Only minor spoilers below regarding the set up for the movie, but heads up!
    I loved that the plot focused on the fallout from the Syndicate getting caught by IMF in Rogue Nation and a new splinter popped up called the Apostles. I would have LOVED if the Bond movies had done something with this with Spectre.

Imagine if Quantum was confirmed as a splinter group of Spectre following their defeat, or if Bond 25 had some rogue Spectre agents running riot?

It was a very simple idea but incredibly effective I thought.
    Ooh, actually, now that I know some of you boys have seen it and could give a non-spoiler estimate: how long would you say the bathroom fight lasted? I figure it was longer than the 50 second clip they released, but I simultaneously doubted it lasted a full 10 minutes like I heard rumored. Thanks! Hoping to jump into these spoiler conversations with you lot real soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,882
    The actual fight fight was about 3 maybe 4 minutes.
    Sounds excellent to me. I can only assume the clip didn't even use the best bits from the finished film, so I'm sure they reallllly kick the piss out of one another. Can't wait.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sounds excellent to me. I can only assume the clip didn't even use the best bits from the finished film, so I'm sure they reallllly kick the piss out of one another. Can't wait.

There's a lot the trailer didn't show, and not just the bathroom brawl (with outdoes the bathroom fight from CR).

I get the impression Cruise is systematically working his way through the Bond series, picking scenes and outdoing them.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »

There's a lot the trailer didn't show, and not just the bathroom brawl (with outdoes the bathroom fight from CR).
    Friday is getting farther the more my anticipation is building up.
    Not really spoilers - but I noticed a whole range of scenes from the trailer which didn't make it into the final film... eg. the ending with the helicopter/lorry - or did I just blink at the wrong moment?

I watched MI:5 yesterday to prepare. If I'm being highly critical (hey I'm a filmmaker, it's what I do - especially good at beating myself up!) - there are a number of things which I preferred in that film. For a start I thought the story was a little stronger (not that this matters greatly). I'm probably in the minority but I preferred Elswit's cinematography over Hardy's (in particular that wonderful Vienna sequence) - but I appreciate that both are very slick. I noticed that Hardy uses anamorphic lens flares a lot - found that a bit tedious after a while (although I know people think they are "cool", especially JJ Abrams!). MI:5 also has a stronger score (although I appreciate that Balfe incorporated a few of the themes from the MI:5 score and his fast pace certainly adds some urgency). Where MI:6 completely excels however - is the action - and here it blows MI:5 right out of the water!
    Yes, you're right. I didn't see the helicopter/lorry collision either. I wouldn't have thought about that, had you not mentioned it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Curious, is there a MI movie you actually like better than your favorite Bond movie? For me, the answer is no.
    If you've seen the trailer, there are a few "barbed wire" shots which aren't in the film also. These stick in the memory as the lorry stunt ended the trailer (was expecting it to be one of the "big moments" - surprised to see it missing), and the wire shot stood out for tonal reasons for me.
  • Has anyone seen in it in 3D? How was it?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Curious, is there a MI movie you actually like better than your favorite Bond movie? For me, the answer is no.

It's close with MI, MI3 and Fallout, but no. I still have to side with Bond/TLD.
    Satorious wrote: »
    If you've seen the trailer, there are a few "barbed wire" shots which aren't in the film also. These stick in the memory as the lorry stunt ended the trailer (was expecting it to be one of the "big moments" - surprised to see it missing), and the wire shot stood out for tonal reasons for me.

As I watched the film, I was think that, at times, it feels the darkest, or at least, the most grown up film of the series, while balancing that with a sense of humour. The bloody barbed wire might have been a bit much.

It's close with MI, MI3 and Fallout, but no. I still have to side with Bond/TLD.
    *virtual high five*
    @MajorDSmythe - yes, it felt a bit much to me also - more like a shot from a horror film - glad they removed it, wasn't needed.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Has anyone seen in it in 3D? How was it?

I'm going to watch it now in 3D.
    @Satorious @MajorDSmythe
    Regarding the cut scenes from the trailer, Sky recently had a behind the scenes special on the movie and Chris McQ and Cavill both admit that many scenes and stunts were cut due to test screenings. Apparently early test audiences said it had too much action!

No, but Ghost Protocol would get into my top ten if it was a Bond movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't like any of them over my favorite Bond movie, but MI:1 and Rogue Nation would be tied for second place in a Bond rank.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Tom. Tom's The Man. I've alway liked him, even before he became a producer/actor/stuntman...
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't like any of them over my favorite Bond movie, but MI:1 and Rogue Nation would be tied for second place in a Bond rank.

I grok.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,423
    While I do like Ghost Protocol the best because it is almost a Bond film of my preference, I don’t think I’d situate an M:I film that as being better than my favourite Bond film for one obvious reason: It doesn’t have James Bond in it.

However, like I did say a couple of pages back, the only problem I have with the first film is the mistreatment of the Phelps character. Otherwise, the first M:I film is as good as any Bond film. I described it to a friend as “FRWL type of Bond film made in the nineties with Brosnan.” That Prague setpiece is beyond outstanding.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,277
    Loved the film, tons of fun. Here's my quick Pros and Cons.

PROS

✅ Breathless actions sequences
    ✅ Tension from start to finish
    ✅ Stunning locations
    ✅ Outstandingly cool plot twists
    ✅ Connections with Mission Impossible I 1, 3 and 5

CONS

- Too much JJ Abrams lens flare
    - M:I theme should’ve being used much more
    - The main titles are not as cool as the others M:I
    - Henry Cavill was good only in the first act
    - Why the hell Sean Harris doesn’t promote the film? I really have no idea why.

And another thing that buggers me is the missing scenes from the trailer. I watched the entire Helicopter Chase waiting for that climax with the Lorry, and Boom, nothing. Other key scenes were cut in the editing process, like the swinging rope, the dead HAO crew, etc.
    Loved the film, tons of fun. Here's my quick Pros and Cons.

PROS

✅ Breathless actions sequences
    ✅ Tension from start to finish
    ✅ Stunning locations
    ✅ Outstandingly cool plot twists
    ✅ Connections with Mission Impossible I 1, 3 and 5

CONS

- Too much JJ Abrams lens flare
    - M:I theme should’ve being used much more
    - The main titles are not as cool as the others M:I
    - Henry Cavill was good only in the first act
    - Why the hell Sean Harris doesn’t promote the film? I really have no idea why.

And another thing that buggers me is the missing scenes from the trailer. I watched the entire Helicopter Chase waiting for that climax with the Lorry, and Boom, nothing. Other key scenes were cut in the editing process, like the swinging rope, the dead HAO crew, etc.

The swinging from Grand Palais and the helicopter/lorry were the two examples mentioned when the filmmakers discussed having to cut out some of the action based on the test screenings.

I agree with you on the opening main titles, but the end titles were really cool!
    Yes, you're right. I didn't see the helicopter/lorry collision either. I wouldn't have thought about that, had you not mentioned it.

Cruise said that they had so much action in it that they realised they had to tone it down and cut out certain scenes,and the helicopter/lorry scene is one of them.

But he hopes to get it put onto the 'deleted scenes' on the DVD...very thoughtful guy is Tom,always thinking of the paying public bless him.