CLOSED

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If so, good job!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, there is a lot of news on that, facts coming, to support it.

I am not a UK citizen, but my opinion is that leaving is a mistake. This is, however, not a topic I'll really dive into here.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Putin is INVINCEEBUL!
    I have a ballpoint pen for that ... ;)

Meanwhile, today I leave you with Seamus Heaney:
    I have a ballpoint pen for that ... ;)
    Hahahahahaha!!! Good one.
    Happy 4th of July to us, America! As we celebrate our independence, our Constitution and democracy; hug our families, enjoy some fireworks, etc. ... the negative actions and impacts of this administration continue apace.

So if you want to skip over this, read it on the 5th or later (or never), I would certainly understand why. I do want you to enjoy your celebrations. But I'm posting anyway.
    Two current world events I am interested in are:

1) Trump meeting in private with Putin. GOP senators just finished their meeting with Russian officials. I find this more than a little suspect, let's say. So yes, interesting to see how this shakes out.

Also ...
    2) The ongoing actions of this administration to separate children from family members when they arrive in the U.S. Our Constitution states that all people coming into our country, either legally or illegally, are to be afforded due process.
    I believe there are laws laid out for all people to be taken care of in a humane way. The vast majority of actions taken seem to be anything but humane.

This particular issue is far from resolved, even if a few families hae been reunited. Much of this is quite disheartening to read about - and frankly some of it sounds like torture - but I don't want this to be swept under the rug. It is still happeing. We have coming up many other real and serious things we need to deal with, yes. But this continues to be urgent and terribly important.

So .. I am posting this partifcular thread because you can read, as you scroll down, brief exerpts at the top. There are 900 pages of declarations recently released. The quotes from the refugees and the people trying to help them, are searing. I think if you want to read all of the document, that's great. But at least in this particular twitter thread, you can get a feel for much of the content by scrolling through.

3 excerpts from with this thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/us/mass-stabbing-boise-idaho.html

That police chief is a total conservative moron:
    " The stabbing victims were from Ethiopia, Iraq and Syria, the police said. Chief Bones said there was no evidence that the attack was a hate crime."

Had it been American born kids it would have been called terrorism. Hypocritical as always, but that is not surprising considering the current state of affairs in the US.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Happy Fourth of july to all Americans!

That's basically all I can say, as anything else would be a cynical remark on the state of affairs. Is today a good day to show how karma works? After decades of meddling in elections all over the world to enhance freedom oil trade you are now confronted with the same from one of your biggest rivals?
    Or should I refer to the immigration-build country that upheld 'human rights' so often now taking babies from mothers who seek refuge from (drug)war torn countries (situations not in the least aided by US meddling)?
    You're not even capable of protecting your own kids in schools, like any third-world country. Should I mention that?

The swamp wasn't 'drained', it overflowed.

I do wish you the best of luck, and all the wisdom in the world, as you'll need it. Stop beeing complacent but go on the Streets and fight for human rights. Not only those of immigrants, but your own. Because before you know it, you ARE a war-torn third world country.
    Happy Fourth of july to all Americans!
    I do wish you the best of luck, and all the wisdom in the world, as you'll need it. Stop being complacent but go on the Streets and fight for human rights. Not only those of immigrants, but your own. Because before you know it, you ARE a war-torn third world country.
    Thanks my friend, we will be on the streets as my Wife and I protest regularly. We will enjoy tonight's pro-America/anti-swamp fireworks.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I had read not long ago that perhaps the next step would be to take away naturalized U.S. citizens' right - and I felt then it was an exaggeration or simply an overreach in worrying about that. However ... this may be in progress by this administration.

This new area of possible development may be happening only to induce fear and continue to distract, to tear our country apart rather than unite (the ongoing motives of the Trump administration). Or it may actually have the intention of removing naturalized U.S. citizens. We'll have to see how this plays out. But if this continues to evolve, please contact your govt representatives (local and federal). This is the sort of quiet thing, done on the side, that would fit the agenda of this administration.

Happy 4th of July to our American friends!!
    Happy 4th of July to the greatest nation this world has ever known!
    Thanks for the good wishes on my country's Independence Day. :)
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,691
    More news today! https://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/a-person-is-climbing-the-statue-of-liberty?utm_term=.ueVaEpkwz#.qlkDlOjWL
    A Trump protester is sitting near the feet and won't come down.

Can't wait to see what amazing progress the coming Trump/Putin lovefest yields based on THIS success.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,622
    What a great 4th of July! I celebrated with American friends and later watched not one, but three 4th of July baseball games. Watched the entire Jays Mets game. Jays players sported American flags as well as Mets players.
    Then I caught the end of the White Sox Reds at Great American Ballpark Cincinnati, and then I watched the entire Cardinals Diamondbacks game at Chase Field Phoenix.
    Stadiums were packed in both Cincy and Phoenix.
    What a great show of patriotism. Fans decked out everywhere in red white and blue. Flags everywhere.Made for great spectacle. Major League Baseball even outfitted all players with USA stars and stripes knee socks. Announcers even got into it.
    Baseball really is the Great American past-time.
    America is greatest nation on earth
    Very proud to be honorary American on this day
    I may yet find a way to legally live stateside for
    half the year.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4627923&d=1341449516

• edited July 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Good luck to you @timmer & thanks for your kind words & thoughts re: America. In the meanwhile, some Americans...may not be quite as red-white-&-blue as they try to pretend... https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/republicans-spent-their-july-4th-week-moscow-having-meetings-russian-officials
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-teenager-maga-hat-attack-san-antonio-viral-video-a8432581.html

Another example of a not-so-great look from Trump detractors. Never okay for anyone to stoop to these low levels - I don't care what the situation is. Initiating stuff like this is unacceptable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-teenager-maga-hat-attack-san-antonio-viral-video-a8432581.html

Another example of a not-so-great look from Trump detractors. Never okay for anyone to stoop to these low levels - I don't care what the situation is. Initiating stuff like this is unacceptable.

Agreed. Speaking your mind in a respectful manner is one thing, but I can't get behind a member of either side who resorts to violence and physical assault.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Agreed. Speaking your mind in a respectful manner is one thing, but I can't get behind a member of either side who resorts to violence and physical assault.

Yes, that was sinking to a low. I understand the anger, but never the initiation of physical confrontation. And I bet he'd not have done it to a big muscular guy, which makes him sort of a coward as well.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yes, that was sinking to a low. I understand the anger, but never the initiation of physical confrontation. And I bet he'd not have done it to a big muscular guy, which makes him sort of a coward as well.
    chrisisall wrote: »

A member of Identity Europe was recently beaten unconcious by a group who call themseves HopeNotHate.
    There has been yet another chemical poisoning in Britain, and they say it is Novichok again. Funnily, this one also happened close to Porton Down.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Putin is obviously sending a message.

Or is he...?
    Talking is bad. What if peace breaks out?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Then we're all buggered.
    Talking can be bad, yes.

It is confirmed as same poison, the newest incident in England, but the way the couple came into contact with it is not yet clear.
    Pruitt resigned. Finally. Countless people celebrate.
    So that is way overdue and good news.

Here's a look at who is replacing him, though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    "Way overdue" is an understatement.
    I tend to be cut and dry, a little understated here (I'm sure you've noticed). The news itself is often crisis/fire bomb level; no need for me to add many adjectives to it.

And just saw this. Nice.
This discussion has been closed.