Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @thelivingroyale . I'll definitely check out Starred Up and 71. For all we know Yann Demange may yet helm a Bond film down the road, given he apparently was under consideration this time out, so it can't hurt to see some of his output. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see the Skins episodes because that's not easy to find online.

RE: suave, classy and sophisticated- that's something I truly have missed greatly over the last little while and so my bias is for someone who can naturally deliver that onscreen too. It seems to increasingly be a lost art. Screen magnetism though is essential for a Bond actor.

Only wish there was a suitable actor with a Cary Grant level of charisma around.
    Easily one of the most suave actors of all time, and one of my faves. A real class act. They don't make them like him anymore, that's for sure.

Charisma, suave - yes. Manly in a alright for the ball room manner - yes. Manly in a way Bond should be - no.
    Fleming would probably have disagreed with you, based on rumours that he was influenced by Grant when writing later Bond novels. Cubby and Harry (with Fleming's blessing) approached Grant for Bond in DN, but he only committed to do one on account of his age. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Terence Young finessed/polished Connery's edge for DN with an eye on Grant too, but can't locate the reference (could be just rumour).

Personally I feel he very much reflected James Bond, particularly when younger in films like Notorious. He had the height, lean but athletic physique, charisma and while quite suave and sophisticated, also could convey a certain cruelness when required. Facially he was certainly handsome and distinctive looking, but again there was still a certain cruelty to him as well.
    His physique was just slim, no muscle whatsoever. Watch Houseboat. And cruel? I would like to disagree. He was all charme, which is a good trait - just not for Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I would have to agree. Cary Grant has never been suitable for Bond. He's too soft for a role like that.
    No problem. We'll never agree on who is suitable for Bond as we all see it through our own lenses. If you read the comments by members over the past few pages I'd surmise that we probably can all pretty much agree on the analysis and perspective. Where we may disagree is on the specific choice which answers that analysis, because it will invariably be seen through our respective viewpoint, preferential biases and life experience.

That's why I think EON have been quite smart to vary the emphasis when they switch actors, to keep all of us happy.

It's actually quite a miracle imho that Sean Connery is seen as the best by most after all these years. I don't think it's because he was the first.

This photo captures James Bond imho, in every way. It's all there, and that's just the look. Add in the acting and style and it's a home run.
    gXZ1rUA.jpg
    Whilst I think Cary Grant was certainly the right nationality and had the right look to play Bond, by the time of Dr. No he was already too old. Casting a young 31-year-old Sean Connery was the smart move and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bond shape have the Body of Sean, Roger or Pierce. Slim, toned but not over-muscled or butch. Anyone who read the books knows the idea of Bond lift weights in a gym 10 hours a week is completely crazy, and not Fleming. Why does Craig keep putting these hours in, when they are making him less authentic in the role? Its like getting Lazer eye surgery to play Harry Potter.

Aidan Turner is definitely no wimp himself, but in a suit he looks no different than how Bond SHOULD look. The traditional tall dark and handsome which Fleming gave as a template.
    Regarding Cary Grant, I was only pointing out his level of on-screen charisma, never his physique or something like that - as I was just commenting @bondjames point on suave, classy and sophisticated.

As much as I like Craig as Bond, the whole "suaveness" have been missing a bit in his tenure, if you ask me. With a new actor likely to be in place for Bond 26, I'm probably not alone in wanting EON to go back to the classy and sophisticated spy, and not just the killer Bond is now.

Looking at the candidates we are discussing, there probably aren't many with the on-screen charisma to carry that style of Bond off.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks like half the board wants some young hipster wimp or other as the next Bond.
    Interesting note: Fleming's first recorded choice for James Bond was Richard Burton, who would have been in his mid-30s at the end of the 1950s.
    Burton had some things in common with Bond.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    Whilst I think Cary Grant was certainly the right nationality and had the right look to play Bond, by the time of Dr. No he was already too old. Casting a young 31-year-old Sean Connery was the smart move and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I quite agree on all points. He made the right call in backing out (I think he said he'd only do one). For those wanting to know what an older Grant as Bond could have been like, please check out Stanley Donen's Charade (1963), which is a superb film in itself.
    Regarding Cary Grant, I was only pointing out his level of on-screen charisma, never his physique or something like that - as I was just commenting @bondjames point on suave, classy and sophisticated.

As much as I like Craig as Bond, the whole "suaveness" have been missing a bit in his tenure, if you ask me. With a new actor likely to be in place for Bond 26, I'm probably not alone in wanting EON to go back to the classy and sophisticated spy, and not just the killer Bond is now.

Looking at the candidates we are discussing, there probably aren't many with the on-screen charisma to carry that style of Bond off.
    I knew what you meant @Torgeirtrap and I fully agree on all points.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Interesting note: Fleming's first recorded choice for James Bond was Richard Burton, who would have been in his mid-30s at the end of the 1950s.
    Yes, that's true. I read about that last night actually. Fascinating.

"By 1958, Fleming was considering the possibility of a Bond feature film and he worked with Ivar Bryce, Irish writer/director Kevin McClory and writer Jack Whittingham to develop an original script. It had been hoped the film would go into production in 1960 with Richard Burton playing Bond and Hitchcock directing, but McClory was unable to raise the finances. Fleming then repurposed much of the script into 1961 novel Thunderball, which led to McClory and Whittingham suing the author for breach of copyright."

"One of the outcomes of the script development was turn Bond from the "ruthless, sadistic and misogynistic" secret agent of Fleming's early novels into a "much more suave character who was keen on women and affairs". It is believed that Fleming, McClory and Whittingham were influenced by the character of Roger Thornhill (played by Cary Grant) in Hitchcock's North by Northwest (1959)."

"In his book The Battle For Bond, Robert Sellers republished a telegram sent by Fleming to novelist Eric Ambler in September 1959:

Pro-Hitch

Have written Bond movie treatment featuring Mafia stolen atomic bomber blackmail of England culminating Nassau with extensive underwater dramatics. This for my friend Ivar Bryce's Xanadu Films Ltd which recently completed Boy and Bridge England's choice for Venice Festival but blasted by critics and flop at Curzon though now doing excellently on pre-release Rank circuit. Producer Kevin McClory. Would Hitchcock be interested in directing this first Bond film in association with Xanadu? Plentiful finance available. This purely old boy enquiry without involvement but think we might all have a winner particularly if you were conceivably interested in scripting.

Regardest
    Ian Fleming"

https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/James_Bond
    Burton would have been great.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    What are the chances that the next actor will have been born in the 90s? I mean, he could be 30+ when B26 is released.

And even if he's from the 80's, it would be the first time a decade (70s) didn't yield a JB actor since the 20s. (I'm aware of how entirely meaningless this all is, of course. Felt like sharing though.)
    What are the chances that the next actor will have been born in the 90s? I mean, he could be 30+ when B26 is released.

And even if he's from the 80's, it would be the first time a decade (70s) didn't yield a JB actor since the 20s. (I'm aware of how entirely meaningless this all is, of course. Felt like sharing though.)

And if you count Niven, we also had one born in the 10s. The 30s is the only decade that gave us two.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond shape have the Body of Sean, Roger or Pierce. Slim, toned but not over-muscled or butch. Anyone who read the books knows the idea of Bond lift weights in a gym 10 hours a week is completely crazy, and not Fleming. Why does Craig keep putting these hours in, when they are making him less authentic in the role? Its like getting Lazer eye surgery to play Harry Potter.

Aidan Turner is definitely no wimp himself, but in a suit he looks no different than how Bond SHOULD look. The traditional tall dark and handsome which Fleming gave as a template.

Lifting weights 10 hours a week? Anyone that needs to spend that much time just to look like Craig even in CR is a very different kind of subhuman species.

People overstate Craig's physique for the role. When you consider all the things Bond has done and is expected to do; coupled with advancements in knowledge of nutrition, health and fitness Bond at the very least should have a physique like Craig's in Tomb Raider/Layer Cake or Matt Damon's in Bourne Identity.

Lazenby was tall and lean and tough but his body lacked tonal definition. There are teenagers who go to the gym only twice a week that look physically/aesthetically better.

Bond needs to at least look decent and believable.

Roger Moore was born in 1927 so we had one from the 20s.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »

Lifting weights 10 hours a week? Anyone that needs to spend that much time just to look like Craig even in CR is a very different kind of subhuman species.

People overstate Craig's physique for the role. When you consider all the things Bond has done and is expected to do; coupled with advancements in knowledge of nutrition, health and fitness Bond at the very least should have a physique like Craig's in Tomb Raider/Layer Cake or Matt Damon's in Bourne Identity.

Lazenby was tall and lean and tough but his body lacked tonal definition. There are teenagers who go to the gym only twice a week that look physically/aesthetically better.

But unlike Damon and Craig, Lazenby didn't just talk the talk. They might look like they could kick some ass, but Lazenby actually could.

I believe he meant starting with the 20s.

Oh right. Thanks. My mistake.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Exactly, @doubleoego -- I am sure if Fleming were here today, with the research he put into his work, his James Bond would be put through the ringer to be in peak physical condition (but he would still have an outsider's edginess-- he may dislike the demands of the training on his body, but knows they will save him in the future. However, no one, at any time, would ever be able to tame the hedonistic nature of Bond: he will indulge in whiskey, champagne and women, to his heart's content).

Craig is not overly developed at all, and;

Future Bonds will also reflect how much we know about modern fitness and nutrition.

Just saw my first advert for MI on ITV during half time in the match,and Cavill is built like a brick shit-house and looks awesome !!
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Yep. That sentence is a real mouthful. :p

But I wasn't including non-EON actors in that.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,357
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just saw my first advert for MI on ITV during half time in the match,and Cavill is built like a brick shit-house and looks awesome !!

He does have the physique for the role, no question about that! Almost on the too large scale, too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Craig has set a new standard of fitness; there is nothing extreme about his physique. He's built the same as the majority of members of Special Forces; those guys are lean, agile and are muscular but not freakish roid monsters.
    As far as Cavill, he and Hemsworth , and Jackman for that matter, are the same in the sense that they have to train up to their superhero weight. It involves a lot of lifting and a lot of eating; if Cavill or Hemsworth were cast as Bond it would be more than easy for them to train down to suit the role.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,661
    There was this guy called Net Geek - used to post on IMDB during the early years of Craig's run as Bond - he posted a photo and he looked like a younger James Bond. He wasn't an actor but he used to say EON should find someone like him. A total unknown type.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    There was this guy called Net Geek - used to post on IMDB during the early years of Craig's run as Bond - he posted a photo and he looked like a younger James Bond. He wasn't an actor but he used to say EON should find someone like him. A total unknown type.

We had a member like that, years ago. Posted photos of himself, and thought he should be Bond. Only problem was his hairline, it had already drastically retreated.
    I guess that rules out Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson from becoming the next Bond!

330px-Dwayne_Johnson_2%2C_2013.jpg

:)

• peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Craig has set a new standard of fitness; there is nothing extreme about his physique. He's built the same as the majority of members of Special Forces; those guys are lean, agile and are muscular but not freakish roid monsters.
    As far as Cavill, he and Hemsworth , and Jackman for that matter, are the same in the sense that they have to train up to their superhero weight. It involves a lot of lifting and a lot of eating; if Cavill or Hemsworth were cast as Bond it would be more than easy for them to train down to suit the role.

Agreed @talos7 -- Craig's fit and looks like he could slip into the training regiment of any Special Forces.

He is not, and has never been, a bodybuilder-- those types of (freakish) bodies could never compete in anything remotely associated with military drills.

Future Bonds will certainly trim themselves to this modern standard (methinks Brosnan will be the last Bond to not regularly hit the gym to be in character).
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,661
    On the subject of hair - or lack of (!) - it's doubtful it would be a major issue. Sean Connery wore a wig for all his Bond films. A future balding Bond could wear a wig too.

I suppose if the actor were dramatically short of hair before he were cast it might cause some Twitter comments like "we don't want a bald Bond!" I doubt anyone knew Sean Connery was a bit thin on top when he appeared in Dr. No. They didn't have social media back then so it helped.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

But unlike Damon and Craig, Lazenby didn't just talk the talk. They might look like they could kick some ass, but Lazenby actually could.

That's because he was a martial artist. The guy wasn't even an actor. Sammo Hung would/could murder anyone that's ever been cast in a Bond film but that doesn't mean we need an actor of his size cast inn the lead role just because they CAN actually kick ass.