"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Thank god for the that get in
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Justice done. VAR off the hook.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tough watch though job done really needed to win this game
    Some appalling missed chances first half and VAR not being an utter joke and it would’ve been extremely comfortable.
  • RC7RC7
    Some appalling missed chances first half and VAR not being an utter joke and it would’ve been extremely comfortable.

I’d add to that the ref being absolute garbage.
    VAR needs to be monitored by VAR, ref seemed totally disinterested in Tunisia antics
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Loftus-Cheek looked lively. Likely he starts a few games in the tournament?

Certainly a good option, Rashford needs to start and drop the hapless Sterling

City are always creating chances, so there's no surprise Sterling has good amount of goals for his club, but it's unlikely he'll get as many goal scoring opportunities with the national side. Will be interesting to see how Southgate rotates during the World Cup.
    Be surprised if he started but he did look half decent.

Happy with that.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,530

City are always creating chances, so there's no surprise Sterling has good amount of goals for his club, but it's unlikely he'll get as many goal scoring opportunities with the national side. Will be interesting to see how Southgate rotates during the World Cup.

Its not so much his lack of goals its his poor decision making in good areas I find frustrating

Its not so much his lack of goals its his poor decision making in good areas I find frustrating

Of course, but on club level he can do those mistakes knowing that a goal or two might come his way because of the way City play at their best.

Of course, but on club level he can do those mistakes knowing that a goal or two might come his way because of the way City play at their best.

He improved at City though he has zero composer with England, he plays with better players at city so less pressure that may have a bearing.

He improved at City though he has zero composer with England, he plays with better players at city so less pressure that may have a bearing.

Definitely. There's an added pressure representing England too, it seems. They even talked about it before the match tonight how this has affected England players in tournaments before.

Having seen England tonight, it's interesting to look how the big teams (big as in expectations) have opened the tournament.
    - Spain got punished by Ronaldo (Surely Spain's defence won't be an issue in the next matches?).
    - Germany looked no way near what you'd expect them to be against Mexico.
    - Brazil didn't impress me much - Neymar was on the ground more than running around. And when he did he wasn't good at all.
    - Uruguay didn't manage more than one goal against Egypt (although Uruguay have two easy fixtures coming up).
    - France didn't look to good.
    - Argentina and Messi didn't present themselves at their best against a collectively strong Iceland.
    - Belgium got a good start - eventually.

Group H matches coming up tomorrow. Will we see more World Cup surprises?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,505
    The pressure of representing England is not bigger than the one of representing Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France etc. In South America there have been incidents of players being threatened with their lives for messing up in tournaments. Now that I call pressure! Pressure was never an excuse for England's lack of succes in tournaments.

By the teams I have watched, Spain have no doubt looked the most impressive so far. They were quite unlucky to not win against Portugal. As long as De Gea stops spilling soap on his gloves, they have no real weaknesses. And if De Gea is your weakness, it is a pretty encoureging sign!

But that's the thing about the World Cup. Some teams start slow and hit their best form towards the end. And they are more often than not the team that wins. Putting too much emphesize on performances in the opening matches is in my experience almost useless.
    Double post
    Oh, I'm not saying representing England is tougher than representing other countries (the crazy incidents in South-America is a good point). Although, to me - England in tournaments (what I've seen of them, and what I've heard being mentioned) seems like a team that's capable to "choke" when it matters the most, more than the other big teams. I guess our English friends here one the forum have their opinions on the matter, too.
  • RC7RC7
    Oh, I'm not saying representing England is tougher than representing other countries (the crazy incidents in South-America is a good point). Although, to me - England in tournaments (what I've seen of them, and what I've heard being mentioned) seems like a team that's capable to "choke" when it matters the most, more than the other big teams. I guess our English friends here one the forum have their opinions on the matter, too.

You’ve a more emotionally intelligent outlook than @jobo, who is so anti-English, it’s laughable.

I was not adressing you as much as those so called "experts" at NRK... ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts have been removed for breaking terms & conditions for using this James Bond forum.
    RC7 wrote: »

You’ve a more emotionally intelligent outlook than @jobo, who is so anti-English, it’s laughable.
    jobo wrote: »

I was not adressing you as much as those so called "experts" at NRK... ;)

I guess all our comments can be a reflection on which leagues and countries we follow in football.

Going back to the point about England and pressure: they should have been good enough to beat Iceland in the Euros, for example, but Iceland managed what nobody thought was possible. Was it that particular England squad's quality, or was it a case of "choking" when it mattered?

In any case, the pressure of representing England is an angle that's heavily used by the media here (NRK/TV2) - and in England (I would guess).
    Poland-Senegal 0-2. This can be an interesting group looking at the results today.
    Poland have been a total shambles to be honest. Thought they were a solid side but they’ve been all over the shop.
    Poland-Senegal 0-2. This can be an interesting group looking at the results today.
    Poland and Columbia already in trouble then Poland scores lol

Poland and Columbia already in trouble then Poland scores lol

Was just about to edit my comment! Can they get a late equalizer?
    Even though both of Senegal’s goals had a bit of comedy about them it would have been a travesty if Poland had got anything as they were woeful.
    This could be nail biter of a group! I don't think many would have expected Japan and Senegal to win the first game. Looks to be four very even teams where anyone can beat anyone on their day.
    Deserved win by Senegal and good for one African side to do ok plus there is a good chance England will face these if both qualify, I would fancy England to beat these.
    Russia putting three goals in the net! I know Egypt isn't particularly good (with or without Salah), but credit to Russia for their more than decent goal difference after two matches.

Won't expect them to achieve much against better opposition, though.
    Arsenal have bought themselves a keeper! Didn't think that would happen!
    Arsenal might have another shit season coming up, but at least Unai Emery is looking at solving issues in his first transfer window.