"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    How is football interest in Japan these days, @4EverBonded? Is it still mostly for a select group of hipsters, or has it been embraced by the general public?

And can you watch it on mainstream TV channels? I am going to Japan in early July with some mates, and we were hoping to get to watch some of the matches over there. At least the final! :)

Hipsters? My experience of Japan is that while it’s not as popular as Baseball, it’s still well supported. I’ve been to two A-League games and they were both packed. All ages in attendance.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Soccer is probably nearly as popular as baseball, yes. It is hugely popular in Japan and has been for some time.
    Thanks @4EverBonded and @RC7 for the information! I am asking mainly because I recall that four years you said something about it being difficult to watch the World Cup in Japan, @4Ever. But that might have been for other reasons? ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Football isn t hip to begin with.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Croatia have some absolute ballers don't they. So lovely to watch at times. Should be a good game this against the argies.
    Football isn t hip to begin with.

giphy.gif
    Croatia takes the lead! Ouch, that was not good by Caballero…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What a clanger haha
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Great finish though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Shocking second goal good finish though Argies stopped playing
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,506
    Seems Argentina are playing a 3-0-7-formation. An isolated back three that has no one to play to since the rest of the team is standing on top of each other right in the central area Kroatia have most of their men. I have no idea what their game plan is?

No width, no movement
    Modric and Rakitic turning it on this 2nd half.
    3-0! Wow!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,506
    Anyone could turn it on against this Argentina. They are looking like headless chickens.
  • RC7RC7
    Messi anonymous. Again.
    Ouch thats gonna hurt
    RC7 wrote: »
    Messi anonymous. Again.
    Still the best player in the world by a mile.
    Messi anonymous. Again.

He is not on Ronaldo's level not surprised Messi barely had an influence in the game
    DCisared wrote: »
    Messi anonymous. Again.

Those who say otherwise are usually United supporters. Even Real Madrid fans are less fanatic
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,372
    This Croatia win makes things interesting for Iceland.

Haha, they just showed a little reportage with two Icelandic blokes who just arrived in Moscow after driving a car from Reykjavík.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote: »
    Messi anonymous. Again.

I would say, ‘most naturally gifted’. Seems to be losing his competitive edge in my opinion. There’s a myth that Messi is some sort of reluctant genius. He buys into his own hype as much as Ronaldo, but Ronaldo makes no secret of it.

Messi wants everything he does to be magical. Ronaldo will tap it in from a yard and take his shirt off. I respect that.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Haha, they just showed a little reportage with two Icelandic blokes who just arrived in Moscow after driving a car from Reykjavík.

All I can say to that... is "HUH!"

Maybe Germany will be kicked out by the end of the Sweden game on Saturday, but I may still have the Icelandic team to root for. I like underdogs, and a Cincinnati- or Cardiff-sized country gettin.g that far just feels right.
    Still gobsmacked that Argentina- Croatia ended the game with all eleven on each side on the pitch. What a bunch of butchers on both sides.

That said what a mediocre Argentina team, they do Messi no favor.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,372
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Maybe Germany will be kicked out by the end of the Sweden game on Saturday, but I may still have the Icelandic team to root for. I like underdogs, and a Cincinnati- or Cardiff-sized country gettin.g that far just feels right.

I can't agree more! There's also the (fun) fact that their manager, Heimir Hallgrímsson, still works as a dentist. I mean, if books haven't been written about this team already, someone should definitely write it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Then you must like Belgium too? ;)
    Oh I did enjoy that match last night...thank you Croatia,for a fantastically enjoyable couple of hours.
    Good decision not giving Neymar that penalty, I hope Costa Rica get something from this game.
    Fantastic spot by VAR...that bloody penalty could have put Costa Rica out of the World Cup,just a shame that cheating little shit Neymar wasn't booked.