"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

That put Russia in the next round, somewhat unexpected I might add.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    VAR is turning into an asbsolute farce. Egypt player being hauled to the ground by his face there and nothing.

Justice done though as the Russians should've had one for the same in the first half but again the VAR guys sit idly by eating Doritos and scratching their arse.

Have I missed the point and VAR was only introduced to benefit France?
    VAR is turning into an asbsolute farce. Egypt player being hauled to the ground by his face there and nothing.

Justice done though as the Russians should've had one for the same in the first half but again the VAR guys sit idly by eating Doritos and scratching their arse.

No it is solely introduced to be blamed when the English are send home. After that they will not use it in the tournament.
    The Japanese goalie made me laugh today denying that he ball had actually crossed the goal line with 300 cameras and Goal line technology he is easily shown the error of his thinking and sight.
    SaintMark wrote: »

No it is solely introduced to be blamed when the English are send home. After that they will not use it in the tournament.

:))
    At the same time as Arsenal sees Bernd Leno sign, Jack Wilshere announces he leaves the club at the end of his contract. Hope this means Aaron Ramsey stays - and possibly, that Arsenal are looking at a defensive CM. Not counting on that to happen (as this is Arsenal, and Arsenal never do the types of signings they should be prioritizing), but it's OK to hope, isn't it?
    A late winner for England again! Gonna have to be far more clinical in front of goal going forward!
    This video was made for you, @TheWizardOfIce

Did we get an England World Cup song this time?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ronny at it again Portugal take the lead
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,506
    Norwegian TV is making a huge deal of the fact that Iran coach Queiroz spent a season as manager of Real Madrid in 03/04 and hail him as a legend because that team had many star players. They fail to mention though that he was fired the same year after they only managed 4th in the league and no trophies... ;))

Valencia won the league that year with Rafa Benitez! In case you wondered...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,341
    Iran celebrating their 1-1 goal, but VAR shows it's offside.
    So VAR shows it value again.
    It wasn't actually VAR who disallowed the goal, it was the linesman. VAR only made sure the referee could double check.
    I noticed that too,
    With the
    jobo wrote: »
    It wasn't actually VAR who disallowed the goal, it was the linesman. VAR only made sure the referee could double check.

Of course, but linesmen make mistakes too, so it was good to see the ref using the option of checking with the VAR officials.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    How is football interest in Japan these days, @4EverBonded? Is it still mostly for a select group of hipsters, or has it been embraced by the general public?

And can you watch it on mainstream TV channels? I am going to Japan in early July with some mates, and we were hoping to get to watch some of the matches over there. At least the final! :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I don't follow anything much in Japan. I just know soccer (it is called "soccer" in Japan and the U.S.!) is very popular indeed. I am sure it is on television, but I wouldn't know about that.

DM me about your trip. :)
    Good opening for Denmark! 1-0 after 7 minutes, with a goal by Eriksen.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think Australia may have a short role in the World Cup.
    Tough group for them.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Life line for the Aussies with a dubious penalty, looked ball to hand to me though game on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Looks like it's anyone's game to this stage 80 minutes played.
    That's twice Denmark should have lost and didn't.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    barryt007 wrote: »

A bit like Portugal cant count themselves having two wins out of two. Also Uruguay are terrible.
    Decent second half performance by Australia, we want a few groups to be decided on the third group game.
    DCisared wrote: »

A bit like Portugal cant count themselves having two wins out of two. Also Uruguay are terrible.

Portugal have long since been one of the luckiest teams out there.
    How they won EURO 2016 with only 1 win I will never know.

Everything is possible, it seems!

Not ideal for Denmark that draw, but at least they still have a good chance going through.

Will be interesting to see what Iran can do against them in the final game. Judging on the two team´s performances so far, Portugal aren´t necesarrily favorites.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

I k r. The French not doing much better.