Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TLD In a surprising turnabout, Dalton wins over Connery for me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Definitely the Living Dayllights for me. Not a big fan of Thunderball.
    TLD all the way, I just don't rate TB that highly.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Love them both, TB is a stunning Bond film, but Daltons debut is a particular favourite of mine.
    The Living Daylights gets the vote. Good match this time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Agent005 wrote:
    The Living Daylights

In any Dalton vs Connery match-up, Dalton will always win it for me.

That.

Though FRWL would be more of a level playing field, TLD would still win.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm torn and for the first time in this thread I don't know. Maybe The Living Daylights. I pick it only because I liked the action better, the last fight on the plane comes to mind.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    00Beast wrote:
    Sean Connery will go head to head with Timothy Dalton as we choose between the former's fourth and the latter's first. Ladies and gentlemen, here's the match-up:

Thunderball vs. The Living Daylights

My top 2 Bond films are going up against each other. TLD benefits from a more complex script and the technological advancements of filmmaking of 1987 versus 1965. However, TB benefits from being in the classic 1960s era and Connery at his apex in the role. TB's my favorite Bond film since it combines the best elements of the first two films with the big budget epic Panavision feel of the later films. Plus, it has my favorite gallery of Bond girls to appear in a single Bond film. TLD though is the best Bond film made post-TB IMHO.

Both great Bond films but TB gets my vote this time.

• Thunderball, easily. Luciana Palluzzi > all bar Solitaire
    Thunderball, easily. Luciana Palluzzi > all bar Solitaire

Solitaire? This is Thunderball vs. The Living Daylights actually. Not to sound rude or anything, I just wanted to help clarify a little bit for you!
    TLD! TLD! TLD!
    00Beast wrote:

Solitaire? This is Thunderball vs. The Living Daylights actually. Not to sound rude or anything, I just wanted to help clarify a little bit for you!

I think he means that Fiona Volpe is hotter than all the other Bond girls, except for Solitaire.

00Beast wrote:

I think he means that Fiona Volpe is hotter than all the other Bond girls, except for Solitaire.

Oh duh, sorry, I can't believe I didn't catch that. My apologies @anotherbondgeek!
    Wow, we came really close this time, but The Living Daylights is our victor, with 17 votes over Thunderball's 14 votes. What a match!

All right, we'll keep moving right along here, with these two knocking heads this time around:

For Your Eyes Only vs. GoldenEye
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, first vote. GE all the way. My introduction to the Bond universe began with GoldenEye 007 on the N64, so the game and the film have always held a place in my heart.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    FYEO - Quite a tough match, but minor things make me choose FYEO.
    GoldenEye

I'm sure none of you need an explanation as to why I choose this great movie!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenEye

I love FYEO but I simply adore GE.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    How can I put this... GoldenEye GoldenEye GoldenEye!

GE is in my top 3, while FYEO is at the very bottom of my list.
    I can see this isn't gonna be a fair fight.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Once again, I need to rewatch both films to give an accurate and fair answer. That will be soon, thankfully.
    Goldeneye. I like Moore but Goldeneye is a better film and Brosnan is a better Bond.

I don't know, they seem pretty evenly matched on this forum in my opinion. You've got Fleming fans of FYEO, Moore fans of FYEO, and Brosnan fans of GE.
    FYEO
    00Beast wrote:

I don't know, they seem pretty evenly matched on this forum in my opinion. You've got Fleming fans of FYEO, Moore fans of FYEO, and Brosnan fans of GE.

And that may very well turn out correct, but right now GoldenEye is winning, 5 to 2.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,762
    00Beast wrote:

And that may very well turn out correct, but right now GoldenEye is winning, 5 to 2.

Well right on! I was hoping that would happen! Haha, maybe we'll get a closer match soon enough, but I do hope that GE pulls through!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    GE in the tighest of margins.
    FYEO

This one isn't all that close for me. I do think that GE is Brosnan's best film by a fairly large margin, but FYEO is just better than it in almost every aspect.
    Chuck wrote:
    FYEO

This one isn't all that close for me. I do think that GE is Brosnan's best film by a fairly large margin, but FYEO is just better than it in almost every aspect.

Just asking, but which aspects? I can only think of the locations as being better, really everything else I'd say GoldenEye takes it.
    00Beast wrote:
    Chuck wrote:
    FYEO

Just asking, but which aspects? I can only think of the locations as being better, really everything else I'd say GoldenEye takes it.

Locations, as you said, would definitely be one. I think Roger Moore is superior to Brosnan as Bond, and I like the more down-to-earth Cold War plot of FYEO as opposed to the space-weapon idea that is behind GE. Generally, I'd say I enjoy the action in FYEO moreso than the action in GE (especially the car chase in FYEO, which I enjoy much more than watching Bond destroy St. Petersburg in a tank), and I find that I like the allies Bond has to deal with in FYEO more than those in GE.

I will give GE two things over FYEO, though. I thoroughly enjoy Sean Bean's Trevelyan, who is probably the best part of the film. Also, and I realize that I'm in the minority on this one, I'd say that Eric Serra's score is superior to Bill Conti's score for FYEO. FYEO has a much stronger title song (Sheena Easton's track is my favorite of the series), but other than that, from a musical standpoint I prefer GE.
    Chuck wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Chuck wrote:
    FYEO

Locations, as you said, would definitely be one. I think Roger Moore is superior to Brosnan as Bond, and I like the more down-to-earth Cold War plot of FYEO as opposed to the space-weapon idea that is behind GE. Generally, I'd say I enjoy the action in FYEO moreso than the action in GE (especially the car chase in FYEO, which I enjoy much more than watching Bond destroy St. Petersburg in a tank), and I find that I like the allies Bond has to deal with in FYEO more than those in GE.

I will give GE two things over FYEO, though. I thoroughly enjoy Sean Bean's Trevelyan, who is probably the best part of the film. Also, and I realize that I'm in the minority on this one, I'd say that Eric Serra's score is superior to Bill Conti's score for FYEO. FYEO has a much stronger title song (Sheena Easton's track is my favorite of the series), but other than that, from a musical standpoint I prefer GE.

Well welcome to the minority, because I'm with you! I prefer Serra's GoldenEye score over Conti's, though both of them are top notch with me. Also, Roger and Pierce are my top 2 favorites, so I don't have any preference there since they're so evenly matched with me often times. As for the action, I'd say they were about equal, except for PTS and finales, in which GoldenEye trumps For Your Eyes Only.