No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    To get this conversation back on track if there is another female lead as claimed by cashleypersia she might be the actual bond girl of the film I would really love to see scarlett johansson in bond 25 but not a black widow type character
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    To get this conversation back on track if there is another female lead as claimed by cashleypersia she might be the actual bond girl of the film I would really love to see scarlett johansson in bond 25 but not a black widow type character

No, American Bond girls are the worst. And I say that as an American.
    echo wrote: »

Not all of them pam bouvier was terrific in my opinion a good majority of them like Christmas Jones and Jinx were awful but I wouldn't judge by the nationality scarlett could pull a great bond girl

HEY! Christmas Jones was...

...point taken.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 12,309
    Hatcher was good in her brief role. One of my things I’ve come to appreciate from TND - an entry I used to have right near the bottom but now in a decent middleish position.

So long as the Bond girl(s) is/are interesting and contribute to the film well, I don’t care about the other stuff too much.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,512
    I think TND is great, but Hatcher is largely garbage. I prefer Richards. Berry is the worst by a mile.
    If an American Actress can pull off a great bond girl in bond 25 what would your pick be? Like I said earlier scarlett johansson
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I feel Johansson is too established ; the Bond girls are at their best when relatively unknown.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2018 Posts: 4,554
    If an American Actress can pull off a great bond girl in bond 25 what would your pick be? Like I said earlier scarlett johansson

It depends on the part.

Athletic? Tough? Damsel? Villain? Accomplice?

@talos7 mentions an unknown. I'll throw out two relatively unknown Americans/Canadians who could play tough, intelligent, and sexy at the same time: Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Mackenzie Davis. The two actually starred together in Smashed.

gettyimages-516780342-h_2016.jpg

11-mackenize-davis-feature.w512.h600.2x.jpg

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Bond films love to copy so I wouldn’t be surprised if Mackenzie Davis was the female henchman
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    American actres i sugest before:

Susan Egan
    Leelee Sobieski
    Amy Hunter
    Eloise Mumford
    Samantha Lockwood
    Jennifer Lothrop
    Shailene Woodley
    Patti D'Arbanville
    Justine Cotsonas

Canada:
    Rachel Skarsten
    Sarah Gadon
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I only recognize Leelee Sobieski and Shailene Woodley by name from that list. I'm not keen on either.

I'm partial to Lizzy Caplan. She does mainly tv work but impressed me on Masters of Sex. Caitlin Fitzgerald similarly (from the same show).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In general, I find casting a very established, well know actress , or actor, to be distracting in Bond films.
    talos7 wrote: »
    In general, I find casting a very established, well know actress , or actor, to be distracting in Bond films.
    I agree. It was refreshing to see mainly new faces in CR. That was a tip off to me in advance that the film would deliver. It was the first time since GE.
    https://screenrant.com/bond-25-2019-trailer-release-date-news/

Nice article that sums up the current news that we have so far on Bond 25 - for anyone with questions that hasn't been caught up.
    Do any of the blue rays include Brozza's Muppet Show appearance?
    awesome . still his best bond performance

American stuff is the worst in general. Give me an elegant French Bond girl.
    Marisa Tomei - great actress. always a solid supporting actress, never tries to out star the star, great comic timing and DC's age (still stunning IMHO), there is no reason not to have a US Bond girl. Just needs proper script and actress

Here she is 2 years ago...

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No way! I'd much rather wade through the previous 1,584 pages. Thanks.
    You can always just check the front page.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    patb wrote: »
    Marisa Tomei - great actress. always a solid supporting actress, never tries to out star the star, great comic timing and DC's age (still stunning IMHO), there is no reason not to have a US Bond girl. Just needs proper script and actress

Here she is 2 years ago...

I'd have to agree with you @patb, Marisa is indeed a very attractive...mature woman. I could see her as a potential love interest, but would the general audience accept her.
    I'm all for change but not just because it's trendy. But because it benefits the character or story.
    So many seeming demands that have to be met to please the PC brigade nowadays.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But,

Brosnan: "A microphone, eh? What does it do?"
    Muppet: "Well, it amplifies your voice [snip]"

So we can blame that Muppet, right?
    I think there are two benefits from having a Bond woman (not girl), it stops comparisons with how this issue was handled in the Moore era (it really was not good) and it also deals with the MeToo issue as there are calls for better roles for more mature woman (I agree with this) and why would not Bond fancy Marisa?
    Sorry, third advantage, more mature actresses can bring more gravitas IMHO
    Sorry, forth, it takes the pressure off of DC in trying to look younger than he is.
    Sorry, fifth, they can make up for the dreadful way Monica B's role was handled. Really underused.

I think you need someone who has the "acting chops" to bring drama and class but not too big a star who will be a detraction from DC.

I agree with @patb that acting chops are essential, as are a certain screen gravitas and charisma. Not being a big name is also important in the context of bond, as is beauty. Marisa Tomei would be a great choice, but I'm not sure if she will have a shot at Bond while she has a role in the Marvel franchise. After that, anything is possible. Someone like her would work though.

I don't agree on the subject of age however. Age is just a number. If we can have a 50+ year old Bond we can have a 20+ year old Bond 'girl'. Such a person could still be a 'woman' if she has the qualities of maturity, acting chops and screen gravitas. Eva Green is one of the best Bond 'girls' and she was only 26 when she played Vesper. Scorupco was 25. Admittedly the respective Bond actor was far younger than Craig will be when they respectively starred, but they both punched above their age.

The issue with Tanya Roberts was acting chops. Her character also came across a bit ditzy, which emphasized the gap. There was a tendency to portray younger women in that light in the earlier Bond films, particularly the later Moore ones, and that's something they should avoid. In the case of Seydoux, she appeared out of her depth, at least imho. Again something that should be avoided.

I had mentioned on another thread that a way to possibly approach this with an advanced and aged Craig is to make the Bond 'girl' role similar to how they do it with Hanks in the Robert Langdon Dan Brown adaptations, or even Cruise in the last MI. There is a hint of attraction but they don't take it further. Even older men are allowed to appreciate a capable younger woman I hope, even today. As long as they don't take advantage.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    "Age is just a number" is rather a cliche I'm afraid and not reflected in the real World where we choose who to have relationships with. It also works the other way. If age is just a number, lets have a 70 year Bond girl.

If we want the audience to "buy into" any relationship, it has to be believable. One of the reasons it worked so well in OHMSS was the age. Obviously depends on the script and whether a meaningful relationship is required. We were asked to emotionally invest in the relationaship re SP (18 year difference) and it never really worked.

If this version of DC's Bond is a randy 51 year old having one night stands with girls half his age, then there are many more suitable actresses.
    "Age is just a number" is rather a cliche I'm afraid and not reflected in the real World where we choose who to have relationships with. It also works the other way. If age is just a number, lets have a 70 year Bond girl.

If we want the audience to "buy into" any relationship, it has to be believable. One of the reasons it worked so well in OHMSS was the age. Obviously depends on the script and whether a meaningful relationship is required. If this version of DC's Bond is a randy 51 year old having one night stands with girls half his age, then there are many more suitable actresses.
    Anything, when taken to extremes, becomes problematic. I'm not calling for extremes, which a 70+ year old Bond girl would be.

What I'm saying is that the right actress, with the right acting skills and screen maturity, can punch above her age and create the right impression despite being younger. In a time when the millennial is increasingly a target for marketers, that may be the way to go. Furthermore as mentioned, the relationship doesn't have to be overtly sexual. Bond can boink an older supporting character (like he did in SP) while working hand in hand with a younger and capable Bond 'girl'. It's all a question about how one approaches it.

Regarding a relationship being 'believable', it all comes down to chemistry rather than age imho. That is how it is in real life as well.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Fair points but 70 is extreme (19 years older then Bond) when 18 years younger is not?

Why put the pressure on a younger actress (and the risk they fail) to "punch abover their age" when you can have an actress who can act her age?

We dont expect actors playing Bond to "punch above their age", we cast men of the correct age.
    Haha, the thought of Craig´s Bond being a smoking, drinking old man having one night stands with girls in their early 20s feels refreshing. Would also be a great starting point from where to search Bond´s psyche.
    Fair points but 70 is extreme (19 years older then Bond) when 18 years younger is not?

Why put the pressure on a younger actress (and the risk they fail) to "punch abover their age" when you can have an actress who can act her age?
    Honestly I don't have a problem with either approach. I just don't want this Bond film to go out of its way to make a 'political statement', although I fear it might.

Ultimately if someone wants to get it on with a younger person, that is perfectly fine with me as long as they are mature. Conversely, if someone is attracted to someone in her 50's, more power to him too.

RE: pressure on a younger actress - I think that's the point of the job. If someone younger can deliver in that role she will have earned her keep in this business. If you put Eva Green in her 20s up against any actor in his 50s, she'd still be credible, and would own him.
    Its funny to assume, young women canr go gaga over older men. It happens all the time. Majority and confidence are strong weapons.

Personally though, I would go with someone in their 30‘s. End 30‘s maybe. Just to not fire these discussions.