Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Benny wrote: »
    As @CommanderRoss correctly pointed out @bondsum , my comments were not targeting the thread in general. But @Mendes4Lyfe incessant posting of Aidan Turner taking over the role of James Bond after Daniel Craig has left the role. As if Turner has already been lined up, and come 2022 we'll all be siting down to Bond26 with Turner.
    There's speculating and suggesting an actor as a credible potential Bond (And Turner is a potential whether I like it or not) and there's getting so engrossed in ones own fantasy, that it becomes some warped reality. This is the latter.
    Who knows, maybe Craig will enjoy Bond 25 so much he decides to stay on for one more.
    Maybe EON have an actor lined up in their heads already.
    It's fine too speculate, as you said that's all this thread can do, and it's a bit of fun. But when it's posted as almost a fact or a certainty that this is what the future will hold....then that's something different.
    Turner, Cavill, Fassbender, Goode, Norton et al will all doubtless be amongst the bookies favourites at some point. Who can tell what comes after is a mystery.
    In that case, you have my humble apologies @Benny. And you're quite right about @Mendes4Lyfe's obsessiveness of Turner. It can go beyond enthusiasm to the point of turning people against the actor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Craig is welcome to stay on as co-producer, so long as it is in name only. The next era needs to pull away from the melodramatic style of the present era. And I can't see that happening, with the progenitor of the ongoing melodrama of the current era staying on in any capacity.
    @bondsum thanks for that! It's a nice sum-up of my grievences with this whole 'press' arena. It shouldn't be too difficult to ask some interesting questions at such an event, or in apromotional tour, without beeing so bland and ignorant/stupid now should it?

@Germanlady now there's a provocative thought! Would be really intersting to see if Craig remains as a co-producer after leaving the role.
    My own view is once Craig steps down he'll have very little to do with Bond afterwards. I personally don't see him being interested in a future co-producing role. That said, anything is possible, but I just so happen to think he'll probably want to focus his energies on something different, get out of the circus, and put some distance between himself and Bond.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I could swear i heard him answer that in an interview already. Someone asked him because of his producer credit on Specter, whether he would want to stay on after he is done with the role and he made it very clear that he would not want any part of it. And why would he?
    When he's out he's out.
    It's not like he's in it for the money or something lol
    00Agent wrote: »
    I could swear i heard him answer that in an interview already. Someone asked him because of his producer credit on Specter, whether he would want to stay on after he is done with the role and he made it very clear that he would not want any part of it. And why would he?
    When he's out he's out.

And since he is not, as we have agreed just recently, I believe, I could see it happen, because he loves Bind - just not the circus surrounding it. So - as a co producer or that sort, he is not in the limelight too much and could just enjoy the creative process.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Aidan Turner comments further on his possible interest in the role.

https://extra.ie/2018/05/30/entertainment/celebrity/irish-actor-aidan-turner-bond-movies
    ----
    Germanlady wrote: »
    When he's out he's out.

And since he is not, as we have agreed just recently, I believe, I could see it happen, because he loves Bind - just not the circus surrounding it. So - as a co producer or that sort, he is not in the limelight too much and could just enjoy the creative process.
    Seems like wishful thinking to me. I think once he's done, he's done. If they continue on the path they've been on, which involves considerable director and actor input, they will not want to stand in the way of the new man's ideas and I don't think Craig would either. That's what I took from his remarks on the matter a few years back.

"Look, I don’t give a f#*%. Good luck to them! All I care about is that if I stop doing these things we’ve left it in a good place and people pick it up and make it better. Make it better, that’s all"

Regarding back seat driving:
    "‘Oh Christ, no. How f#*%ing sad would that be? “Oh look, it’s Daniel Craig, he’s on set again!” No!’"

If someone asked for his advice:
    "Literally I’d say two things. Firstly, it’s your decision. Don’t listen to anybody else. Well, do listen to everybody, but you have to make the choice at the end of the day. It’s your bed to lie on. And don’t be sH!^! Don’t be sH!^. You’ve got to step up. People do not make movies like this any more. This is really rare now. So don’t be sH!^."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    Aidan Turner comments further on his possible interest in the role.

https://extra.ie/2018/05/30/entertainment/celebrity/irish-actor-aidan-turner-bond-movies
    ----
    When he's out he's out.

Seems like wishful thinking to me. I think once he's done, he's done. If they continue on the path they've been on, which involves considerable director and actor input, they will not want to stand in the way of the new man's ideas and I don't think Craig would either. That's what I took from his remarks on the matter a few years back.

"Look, I don’t give a f#*%. Good luck to them! All I care about is that if I stop doing these things we’ve left it in a good place and people pick it up and make it better. Make it better, that’s all"

Regarding back seat driving:
    "‘Oh Christ, no. How f#*%ing sad would that be? “Oh look, it’s Daniel Craig, he’s on set again!” No!’"

If someone asked for his advice:
    "Literally I’d say two things. Firstly, it’s your decision. Don’t listen to anybody else. Well, do listen to everybody, but you have to make the choice at the end of the day. It’s your bed to lie on. And don’t be sH!^! Don’t be sH!^. You’ve got to step up. People do not make movies like this any more. This is really rare now. So don’t be sH!^."

Well that settles it.;-) so it is indeed very unlikely. Unless he's going to stop acting all together, but I can't see him do that. I think he loves it too much.
    Its one of those things, where he might surprise Himself imo. Personally I would rather, he sticked to acting. In a way, he could do both.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Throwing a new name on the pile: Dan Jeanotte. Canadian, plays James Steward in Reign. at 5 ft 11 inch at a decent hight, allthough maybe a bit short. But he has the face, acting talent and looks. He is, however, Canadian (still commonwealth).

Dan Dan_Jeannotte.jpg?1406561963
    I like his looks up to the eyebrows, but he has a bit of a weird headform.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Don t think so.
    I like his looks up to the eyebrows, but he has a bit of a weird headform.

I think that's more his long hair.
    Don t think so.

therefore you're not?

Throwing a new name on the pile: Dan Jeanotte. Canadian, plays James Steward in Reign. at 5 ft 11 inch at a decent hight, allthough maybe a bit short. But he has the face, acting talent and looks. He is, however, Canadian (still commonwealth).

Can he have a natural British accent?

I've never heard of him. Reminds me of Ian Ogilvy to a degree. May lack some edge, but it's difficult to tell from just this photo.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Doesn't look threatening to me at all!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Nope, no edges.
    It's all in the eyes, and without having seen any of his acting (just a quick clip on YT) he seems like a nice, agreeable bloke that would be great to hang out with, but not suited for the deadliest secret agent in the world.
    The more I look at that photo, I see more of the 'generic' in him. Bond must have a more interesting look imho.
    Nope, no edges.
    It's all in the eyes, and without having seen any of his acting (just a quick clip on YT) he seems like a nice, agreeable bloke that would be great to hang out with, but not suited for the deadliest secret agent in the world.
    +1. Well said.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Dan Jeanotte's voice is too light. These actors need to start smoking 40 Rothman's a day to get a much deeper voice. His English accent is OK though but I'm also put off by his Paul McCartney/Bambi eyes.
    I smoke from time to time, @bondsum. But, I don't have a deep voice unfortunately. I'm starting to believe getting a deep voice from smoking is a myth. :))
    I'd argue that it gives a little more character and texture to the voice, but agree that it probably won't make it any deeper.
    I always have to clear my throat before talking to make my voice seem deeper, which has become sort of a second nature for me in a crowd of strangers.
    Has to be at least 40 a day @ClarkDevlin. I used to have a voice like Mickey Mouse but after excessive smoking I now sound like James Earl Jones.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Has to be at least 40 a day @ClarkDevlin. I used to have a voice like Mickey Mouse but after excessive smoking I now sound like James Earl Jones.
    Now that is a voice with depth and character. He along with Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert have very distinctive voices.
    bondsum wrote: »
    So, 3 or 4 a day doesn't suffice? I better start smoking more!!! :))
    Every Bond candidate when hearing Craig retires from the role:
    heavy_smoking_by_moonymistress-d5bgq6r.png
    Every Bond candidate when hearing Craig retires from the role:
    heavy_smoking_by_moonymistress-d5bgq6r.png
    Pretty much!!! =))
    How many of the candidates we're discussing on the thread actually have the right voice for Bond? Can't be that many of them?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a terrific voice. Spectacular voice, I might add. But, his acting style and appearance is too Sherlock, I'm afraid. He babbles. A lot.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,295
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a terrific voice. Spectacular voice, I might add. But, his acting style and appearance is too Sherlock, I'm afraid. He babbles. A lot.

I have to agree. Cumberbatch's best asset is his voice, actually. He has presence too, but probably not the right style of presence. If he hasn't already, he should do a few Bond audiobooks!