How much do you read?

123457»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's a very good point Brady. Like you, I keep adding to the pile (the wife doesn't mind but does constantly ask when I'm going to read all these) but, if something takes my fancy, I just have to have it.

When I'm in the mood I can certainly go through plenty in a, relatively, short space of time, it's just being in that mood, which I haven't been for quite some time, hence the build up.

Yeah, when I see something that interests me, I have to get it while out and about. I know I won't read it now, but my brain whispers, "Yeah, but you will use the information later..." Mind always wins over wallet.

I have well over a hundred different bookmarked books on Amazon too, so I'm a lost cause. I love knowledge and learning, but that's not always a cost effective habit to have. ;)
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    It certainly is, I'm lucky to have a understanding wife, haha.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Rather a lot.

I have read each Fleming several times. I am also a massive fan of Stephen King.

I can pretty much devour any book that has a premise I like.

Just not a fan of detective, whodunnit types. Absolutely detest the likes of James Patterson and Clive Cussler.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I always have a least one book on the go, usually a novel. But also other books that I read a bit of now and again (usually non-fiction). I am doing a Stephen King reread this year but not to the exclusion of other books…in fact I am currently read the Folio Society's edition of From Russia With Love.
    The times I am most put out of the reading mood are those after I've just finished an overwhelmingly good book (most often a novel). I'm not sure if this is because my brain is telling me it needs some space to digest, or if it's simply me anticipating whatever comes next can't possibly be as good. Probably a little of both.
    Good to know I'm not alone here. Some nights I sit and stare at the bookshelf where dozens of books I've never read awaiting and I just can't decide on one. I just have to be in a certain mood for certain titles. There's also piles of magazines I also have.

Some of it may have to do with this Internet thing that's keeping me from reading those. Not to mention neglecting my workout.
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    SO late to the party, I know. My goal at the start of the year was to read one book every month. For somebody in college, I'd say that is pretty good. So far, I have exceeded that, at 6 completed books.
    I have read Mainly Bond books, but have taken a break, and am starting some Tom Clancy classics.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    kg54mvp wrote: »
    SO late to the party, I know. My goal at the start of the year was to read one book every month. For somebody in college, I'd say that is pretty good. So far, I have exceeded that, at 6 completed books.
    I have read Mainly Bond books, but have taken a break, and am starting some Tom Clancy classics.

I have decided to start doing the same as well. I'm going to try to read at least one, maybe two, a month. Although my would be the current Star Wars canon books. I really need to get caught up on those.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm close to finishing my 30th book this year, though my reviews in that other thread are not keeping up with my actual reading. :)
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,280
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm close to finishing my 30th book this year, though my reviews in that other thread are not keeping up with my actual reading. :)

That's impressive @DarthDimi! How do you find the time?
    I'm only on my third at the moment. My book reading routine these days only goes as far as reading a few pages each night in bed, unfortunately.

I'm only on my third at the moment. My book reading routine these days only goes as far as reading a few pages each night in bed, unfortunately.

@Torgeirtrap
    I have learned that the best way to read a book is to

1) start the evening with it rather than preserve the activity for when everything else is done (because let's face it: everything else will never be done!)

2) avoid at all cost reading in the bedroom since that's where you sleep and your mind and body will remind you of that the very instant you are in your bed.

3) also avoid the prospect of reading, at most, a dozen or so pages at a time since the effort of reading the entire book will swiftly start looking like an impossible one.

4) reserve at least two or three hours of leisure time for intensive reading, not too different from how people schedule a film marathon or half an evening of Game Of Thrones.

In other words, plan your reading ahead, turn it into a daily, weekly, ... routine, in your living room rather than in your bedroom and not as the "last thing you'll be doing" today before getting ready for bed. You'll be astonished about the sheer volume of reading material you'll be able to process whilst not necessarily falling behind on all other stuff you are expected to do. In my experience, reading merely replaces the unceremonious habit of browsing the Internet for no specific reason or going through some television channels without any actual purpose. Countless hours are wasted in front of a screen; it's time we unplug and return to the good old celluloid medium. ;)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I must admit, I mostly read in bed. It's a lifelong habit and I don't feel right turning the light off if I haven't read at least a couple of pages.

That said, it's always taken me a long time to get to sleep, right from when I was a baby (about half an hour to an hour) and perhaps reading in bed doesn't help with that?

It always feels a bit decadent to read at other times unless I'm on a train/plane journey, but as @DarthDimi points out, there's really no difference between taking time out to read and taking time out to watch a film or browse the internet.

Since acquiring a Kindle I also read when I'm eating, because I don't need a spare hand to hold the book open!

@Torgeirtrap
    I have learned that the best way to read a book is to

1) start the evening with it rather than preserve the activity for when everything else is done (because let's face it: everything else will never be done!)

2) avoid at all cost reading in the bedroom since that's where you sleep and your mind and body will remind you of that the very instant you are in your bed.

3) also avoid the prospect of reading, at most, a dozen or so pages at a time since the effort of reading the entire book will swiftly start looking like an impossible one.

4) reserve at least two or three hours of leisure time for intensive reading, not too different from how people schedule a film marathon or half an evening of Game Of Thrones.

In other words, plan your reading ahead, turn it into a daily, weekly, ... routine, in your living room rather than in your bedroom and not as the "last thing you'll be doing" today before getting ready for bed. You'll be astonished about the sheer volume of reading material you'll be able to process whilst not necessarily falling behind on all other stuff you are expected to do. In my experience, reading merely replaces the unceremonious habit of browsing the Internet for no specific reason or going through some television channels without any actual purpose. Countless hours are wasted in front of a screen; it's time we unplug and return to the good old celluloid medium. ;)

Some interesting reading habit tips there, @DarthDimi! There's definitely room for improvement re. when to start reading in the evening. It's very easy to save reading for last. First you usually make dinner, eat that (maybe some washing up); then there's catching up on the news – both online and on TV. Then maybe you want to catch up on a TV show, and that's another hour gone – or a football match that spends up more of your time. Before you know it, it's bedtime!

Reading in bed is the one habit that's difficult for me to stop doing. I've always had trouble going to sleep at night (like @Agent_99, I guess!), and need about half an hour or so just to settle down for the night. That time is best spent reading or watching a TV show, I feel. If I don't, I spend that half hour thinking about what to do the following day or something, and then there's no chance of me getting sleepy.

(Growing up close to a road that's trafficked all night, I also have trouble sleeping when staying at a place where it's completely silent at night, but that's a different matter!)

The easiest solution will probably be an hour or three for reading only during the weekends. It's a great way to spend time on a Saturday or Sunday morning, that's for sure. :-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,333
    I read more frequently of late due to having a large collection of books on my oversized phone (which has lessoned the use of my Fire Kindle) I usually have several books/graphic novels on the go.
    I have finally, for the very first time in my life, ordered all seven Harry Potter books. Spurred on by the many "great reviews" that have reached me and a small imperative from my girlfriend, I'll be setting myself a goal to have kicked the books into my head by the end of this year. I may fail, though, since, well, there's the every increasing workload, the girlfriend and that other hobby: films. So planning this thing ahead a little bit will prove essential in getting the job done while, at the same time, having a blast doing it.
    I read more frequently of late due to having a large collection of books on my oversized phone (which has lessoned the use of my Fire Kindle) I usually have several books/graphic novels on the go.

I've been trying to get used to reading books on a tablet, but I find that the screen light tires my eyes too much. Magazines are OK though, as it's just articles, and not pages and pages of plain text.
    I have finally, for the very first time in my life, ordered all seven Harry Potter books. Spurred on by the many "great reviews" that have reached me and a small imperative from my girlfriend, I'll be setting myself a goal to have kicked the books into my head by the end of this year. I may fail, though, since, well, there's the every increasing workload, the girlfriend and that other hobby: films. So planning this thing ahead a little bit will prove essential in getting the job done while, at the same time, having a blast doing it.

Think you'll enjoy them! Read them around the time they were originally released and found the books a great read.
    I've been trying to get used to reading books on a tablet, but I find that the screen light tires my eyes too much. Magazines are OK though, as it's just articles, and not pages and pages of plain text.

I have the old-style 'e-ink' Kindle, with no backlight, and it's pretty easy on the eye. Though if I want to read comics or magazines, that's a job for the iPad.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I have the old-style 'e-ink' Kindle, with no backlight, and it's pretty easy on the eye. Though if I want to read comics or magazines, that's a job for the iPad.

I'll take a note of that, @Agent_99! I've noticed that not all books I want ordered from Amazon for example, ships to Norway (for whatever reason), while Kindle editions are available of the same titles. A Kindle will save some shelf space too, which is an issue I have at the moment. Will have to clear out a few old books eventually, I think.
    I buy a lot of books from small independent publishers in the US in ebook edition, because they cost much less that way and I don't have to wait months for them to arrive!

I didn't think I needed a Kindle, but it was a present and it's been fantastic. Strangely it hasn't cut down on the number of physical books in my home, though...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,333
    @Torgeirtrap I tinker with the back light and background colour settngs on my devices for reading. My current phone is 6.42 x 3.15 inch screen it's great if waiting for something or work is quiet ill read for half an hour or so. My phone supports 4K so the images on graphic novels are excellent.
    I buy a lot of books from small independent publishers in the US in ebook edition, because they cost much less that way and I don't have to wait months for them to arrive!

I didn't think I needed a Kindle, but it was a present and it's been fantastic. Strangely it hasn't cut down on the number of physical books in my home, though...

Having the ability to read the book straight after purchasing is definitely a big plus. I wonder if getting a Kindle will affect the number of physical book I'd buy. Most likely not, as I like the feel of books, and having it on display in the shelf. It will probably be a great alternative to the cheaper paperbacks though!
    @Torgeirtrap I tinker with the back light and background colour settngs on my devices for reading. My current phone is 6.42 x 3.15 inch screen it's great if waiting for something or work is quiet ill read for half an hour or so. My phone supports 4K so the images on graphic novels are excellent.

I've tried that on my IPad (bough in 2014, so not a recent version), but unfortunately I haven't found a good setting for long reads. Magazines and comic books look great on the "pad" – which is what I use it for the most.

Having the ability to read the book straight after purchasing is definitely a big plus. I wonder if getting a Kindle will affect the number of physical book I'd buy. Most likely not, as I like the feel of books, and having it on display in the shelf. It will probably be a great alternative to the cheaper paperbacks though!

I've tried that on my IPad (bough in 2014, so not a recent version), but unfortunately I haven't found a good setting for long reads. Magazines and comic books look great on the "pad" – which is what I use it for the most.

All my books are boxed up now or given to charity. I am a total convert to technology mainly due to convenience. Years ago I would visit the local library at least twice a week and sit and read for a few hours, I rarely have time to do that now.

All my books are boxed up now or given to charity. I am a total convert to technology mainly due to convenience. Years ago I would visit the local library at least twice a week and sit and read for a few hours, I rarely have time to do that now.

Can definitely se how that's tempting. Books take up muuuuuch space, and given the opportunities to have books on Kindle's, iPad's, phones etc, it's easy to make that decision. Got rid of some books in my big clear-out a few months ago (I think we discussed the downsizing of DVD's an Blu-ray's) – and I've got some more books that needs to go. Those I haven't read yet, I'll keep of course.
    I seriously can't do that, guys. I love books. The touch of a book, the smell of a book, the physical presence of a book... Books fill the room with oxygen so to speak. Couldn't ever throw away a book!

Reading a book on Kindle or an iPad feels like eating food without tasting it. Something just doesn't quite sit right for me. I need to hold the thing in my hands, feel the progress I'm making through the book as the left side grows thicker and the right side thinner.
    Definitely get your points there, @DarthDimi. Those books I got rid of (charity), were ones I know I wouldn't have read again. Those I might end up getting rid of, are the ones I'm not certain about wether I'll read again. Most of them are paperbacks though, and not nice-looking hardcover editions.

Don't know for sure yet if a Kindle will be a thing for me. But, as I mentioned earlier – there are titles I've found difficulty getting a copy of in a physical format (at all, or cheap enough).
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Considering nature of my studies (humanities) I need to read a lot.
    Usually a book per one subject at college. Besides that I enjoy reading various novels and books about philosophy, theology and history.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Well, i'm a writer, so I read a lot. Even now, right now, I'm surrounded by 15000 books, give or take. My library, although I haven't read them all, evidently. But I do enjoy reading, a lot. Wish I could return to those days were I read one book at a time. Nowadays, there's always three or four that stalk me everyday.
    Univex wrote: »
    Well, i'm a writer, so I read a lot. Even now, right now, I'm surrounded by 15000 books, give or take. My library, although I haven't read them all, evidently. But I do enjoy reading, a lot. Wish I could return to those days were I read one book at a time. Nowadays, there's always three or four that stalk me everyday.

15000 books? That sounds fantastic!
    Reading more than one book at the time is something I do from time to time. I find it difficult to delve into more than two at the time though – depending on the content.