How much do you read?

Comments

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting boldfinger:
    Quoting NicNac: I know the answer is 'go to the library'
    Interestig thought, but where I live no library has the novels I like to read :| .
    Where I live we probably won't even have any libraries soon - nothing like 'cutting' the soul out of a country... 8-|
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting St_George: @DarthDimi Quite an interesting
    idea, them, but not too sure how much they'll catch on what with the type being
    so necessarily small.

They're likely to be most intended for regular
    readers, I'd imagine; the same people who may read a great deal during the day
    and, thus, may be minded about the dangers of over-straining their eyes, you
    know? Small type wouldn't really help with that - especially if such peeps
    without glasses or contacts are looking to keep their eyesight that way... ;)
    The concept certainly is clever, SG, but you're absolutely right about the small type. It does get unpleasent after a while, which I suppose is the reason I only carry it with me for those ten minutes in between two train rides or something. ;;)
    Quoting St_George: Where I live we probably won't even have any libraries soon - nothing like 'cutting' the soul out of a country...
    Wow, that´s really a shame. Even though I don´t find my favorite books in any library but my own, I find public libraries to be hugely fascinating places. With all those thoughts an ideas stacked in shelves, there´s a special feeling inside those walls.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    @boldfinger Well, we won't lose all of our libraries, but we don't know how many will realistically go to the wall thanks to the 'ConDem' coalition government that's in control of the UK at present. I'm absolutely with you, though, depriving a civilised - or, for that matter, any - country of libraries is anathema to me. The government would have us believe the depth of the cuts on the state they'll be making are utterly necessary to reduce the national debt - problem is, nobody'll actually know whether they're right, or whether it'll all work, until they've all happened, of course. Convenient, eh?

Anyway, that's politics for you... >:p
    Quoting St_George: The government would have us believe the depth of the cuts on the state they'll be making are utterly necessary to reduce the national debt - problem is, nobody'll actually know whether they're right, or whether it'll all work, until they've all happened, of course. Convenient, eh?

The basis for any solid debt-clearing is a solid widespread education, and public libraries are one cornerstone for that purpose. Even if only a few people would visit libraries, the fact that literature is stored there alone should suffice to demonstrate their importance. But I guess there are politicians who think that the libraries of Alexandria had stored merely pulp fiction novels and tabloids :-< .
  • I read a lot as I have a couple of hour commute to work each day and a lot of standing around on train platforms....

It probably works out I read for half my journeys of the year, and once my brain is saturated I switch over to movies on the ipod....
  • I love to read when I actually have time for recreational reading... Which given I'm in college is virtually never :-(

Guess I read more than some of the other pre-medical students I know at least though. I'm taking an extra MCAT preparation course now, and I'm amazed at some of the words the people have difficulty pronouncing, simply because they don't come up frequently in science literature... We even once read a passage about Jane Austen and half the people in there didn't know who she was o.O
    Quoting The_Preacher711: It probably works out I read for half my journeys of the year, and once my brain is saturated I switch over to movies on the ipod....
    How is it to watch movies on the iPod? I could imagine developing a feel of claustrophoby @-) .
  • blockquote>Quoting boldfinger: How is it to watch movies on the iPod? I could imagine developing a feel of
    claustrophoby

Not too bad- you get used to it after a while!!!

Before that I used to lug a laptop or portable dvd around.... but that was no fun....

At least I've got my Bond collection (plus a ton of other stuff) all in one pocket sized device!!
    I actually read a lot, I always have in hand a book to read. Mainly, I read about baseball's history (I have over 100 baseball books), Arctic and Antarctic explorations, US presidents, the Second World War, Nazism and own a large US comik books collection.
    It's a hobby of mine to collect, among other things, books.
  • I read a lot really, whether it be Bond, magazines, other novels, biographies, comics. I love it, find it so relaxing and enjoyable. I currently have a "to read" pile that won't be far off being as tall as myself.......
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,497
    A lot. Mostly about cars and history. Once I'm through all the books I still have to read, I'll pick up fiction again, with the ultimate goal of owning all of Stephen King's books.

And I have this plan to order certain issues from a well known Bond magazine... ;)
    A LOT.

I have a love affair with books and my Kindle and iPad (can't live without the first). I read romance, literature, urban fantasy and the likes. I used to read about 2 books a week but have recently slowed down because I'm focusing on writing. I hope to get to Ian Fleming's books soon... I've only read a few bits and pieces but I'm in love with his description of Bond already.
    Alot more now i have 2 step children! @-)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I don't read that much but I do read. Mainly military stories, spy stories, horror novels or books about football or cars.

My favourite authors are Chris Ryan, Andy Mcnab, Steven King and Ian Fleming.
    With the amount of talentshows and reality shows my wife and daughters watch I get a lot of time listening to my cd collection and read. Still hopelesly behind on the amount of books I have to read.
    currently reading:
    Bond on Bond (present for my birthday from my sister in law thereby stopping my wife's plans for Christmas :D )
    The popes - John Norwich
    Jerusalem the biography - Simon Sebag Montefiore
    God save the children - Robert B Parker
    The Savage sword of Conan omnibus 7
  • O6GO6G
    I'm having serious trouble concentrating when I read, so for the moment I'm listening to the OHMSS audio book, while I walk around in the snow. I have to go back and listen again alot of the time, because my mind wanders off, but I'm hoping to build up my concentration to a point where I can actually read a Bond book and not have to go back 10 pages because my mind slipped.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    ... All there is... ;)
    I read a fair bit but go through dry spells, once I've finished a book I will probably read a couple more afterwards and then stop for a while.

Have been reading a few of the Lee Child (Jack Reacher) books, they always seems to keep me interested!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SANY6208.jpg
  • Well, just to give folks a sense of the volume of my reading, here's what I am working on this week:

* Colonel Sun, by Kingsley Amis
    * James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever, compiled by James B. South and Jacob M. Held
    * The Gunslinger, by Stephen King
    * Effective Public Relations, Ninth Edition
    * First Things First, by Steven R. Covey

Next week I'm expect to be starting:
    * Pearson's James Bond: The Authorized Biography
    * Schism, by Bill Granger
    * The Drawing of the Three, by Stephen King
    * The Essential Marcus Aurelius
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I tend to read a book at a time, currently reading Phil Rickman' s Merrily Watkins books.
    I try to read as much as I can but it's getting harder with my job.
    However I have an average of 1.5 books per week (sometimes I read 1 book per week if they are not big).
    I've actually fixed myself an interesting schedule at work, which enables me to do some steady reading for about an hour each noon, time enough for a short story or a comic. Being the devoted Isaac Asimov fan that I am, I tend to eat his short stories and essays for breakfast and lunch, and his novels before going to bed. This man, who sadly passed away twenty years ago, is in every possible way of the word the most prolific author that ever lived. I cannot and will not skip anything of his if I so much as have a chance to grab hold of it. I recently finished (one of) his autobiography(ies) and recognized much about myself in him. Reading is my prime occupation besides teaching and watching films - of course. ;-)
    What do you teach, @DarthDimi?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 23,529
    0013 wrote:
    What do you teach, @DarthDimi?

Chemistry and physics, @0013, my friend. All the stuff only chemists and physicists seem to find pleasing while the rest of the world finds them a tedious waste of time. ;-)
    At the university?
    0013 wrote:
    At the university?

No sir, I teach youngsters ages 15 - 18 but the school system here in Belgium is different from the American or British school systems so I'm not sure what the correct English term for it is. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    At the university?

No sir, I teach youngsters ages 15 - 18 but the school system here in Belgium is different from the American or British school systems so I'm not sure what the correct English term for it is. :)

We call that grade school in the US.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 803
    Murdock wrote:
    We call that grade school in the US.

Actually we'd call it highschool.