How much do you read?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I read all the time,either books or kindle.
    Nearly always non-fiction although I am reading some Lovecraft atm.

I have a constant thirst for knowledge and learning,always have,so naturally reading is the best outlet,i love it.

@barryt007, I've had an interest in Lovecraft for a while and I recently went into a store where I get some great books at a bargain and found a lovely copy collecting the author's work in beautiful leather bound hardcover:

https://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Tales-Horror-Leather-bound-Classics/dp/1607109328/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040863&sr=1-23&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

I also picked up a collection of Poe and the Grimm fairy tales:

https://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Poe-Collected-Works/dp/1607103141/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040368&sr=1-11&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

https://www.amazon.com/Grimms-Complete-Fairy-Tales-Jacob/dp/1607103133/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040863&sr=1-19&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

All with the hope of reading them around this Halloween period to get myself in the mood. For anyone that loves these kinds of stories, the above collections are at a cheap price but immaculately made for the leather bound additions they are.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I read all the time,either books or kindle.
    Nearly always non-fiction although I am reading some Lovecraft atm.

I have a constant thirst for knowledge and learning,always have,so naturally reading is the best outlet,i love it.

@barryt007, I've had an interest in Lovecraft for a while and I recently went into a store where I get some great books at a bargain and found a lovely copy collecting the author's work in beautiful leather bound hardcover:

https://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Tales-Horror-Leather-bound-Classics/dp/1607109328/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040863&sr=1-23&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

I also picked up a collection of Poe and the Grimm fairy tales:

https://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Poe-Collected-Works/dp/1607103141/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040368&sr=1-11&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

https://www.amazon.com/Grimms-Complete-Fairy-Tales-Jacob/dp/1607103133/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507040863&sr=1-19&keywords=canterbury+classics+leather+bound

All with the hope of reading them around this Halloween period to get myself in the mood. For anyone that loves these kinds of stories, the above collections are at a cheap price but immaculately made for the leather bound additions they are.

That's incredibly good value Brady,i must say,i wonder if they sell them in the UK..i will have a look in a minute.

I have the complete works of Lovecraft on my Kindle atm.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @barryt007, I just had a look on the UK Amazon and found the exact copies of those I bought on there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lovecraft-Tales-Horror-Leather-bound-Classics/dp/1607109328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507042519&sr=1-1&keywords=Canterbury+Classics+H.+P.+Lovecraft+Tales+of+Horror+(Leather-bound+Classics)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grimms-Complete-Fairy-Tales-Jacob/dp/1607103133/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JMWEX44NYZ2ZHZ366AA5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edgar-Allan-Poe-Collected-Works/dp/1607103141/ref=pd_sim_14_93?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A7GE0TZMVGGVK8JY002S

If you like what you see, give "Canterbury Classics" a search in Amazon and see what comes up. They've done a lot of beautiful leather bound editions for a variety of authors and genres of writing beyond the above, including a couple collections of Arthurian legends I was just eyeing up. Great stuff!
    @barryt007, I just had a look on the UK Amazon and found the exact copies of those I bought on there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lovecraft-Tales-Horror-Leather-bound-Classics/dp/1607109328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507042519&sr=1-1&keywords=Canterbury+Classics+H.+P.+Lovecraft+Tales+of+Horror+(Leather-bound+Classics)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grimms-Complete-Fairy-Tales-Jacob/dp/1607103133/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JMWEX44NYZ2ZHZ366AA5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edgar-Allan-Poe-Collected-Works/dp/1607103141/ref=pd_sim_14_93?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A7GE0TZMVGGVK8JY002S

If you like what you see, give "Canterbury Classics" a search in Amazon and see what comes up. They've done a lot of beautiful leather bound editions for a variety of authors and genres of writing beyond the above, including a couple collections of Arthurian legends I was just eyeing up. Great stuff!

Nice one,thanks pal,i will have a good look at that !

My pleasure, @barryt007. I think I know what my Christmas presents to myself might look like this year, and they'll be leather bound...
    My pleasure, @barryt007. I think I know what my Christmas presents to myself might look like this year, and they'll be leather bound...

I'm considering that possibility as well ;)

• edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    In the same token, it's absolutely true that the more one reads the more a thirst for knowledge is created, meaning that with every read book we complete we seem to find ourselves buying five more to replace it with.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Once I've finished a book, it's straight to its notes and bibliography for me. I must add at least 10 titles to my wishlist for every one I get to enjoy. I'm sure I'll never be able to afford as many books as I aspire to, let alone read them.

Being humbled by the bookshelf is certainly wise. I appreciated in our other discussion your pointing towards Sir Rog as the consummate example of a human being who thrived in life without being so self-serious, and I think he'd be the first to agree here that the first thing we all ought to admit is that we know nothing.

On another note, @barryt007 I can second the rec for Canterbury Classics. I have their Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and I've been meaning to pick up a few other editions of theirs as well. Really beautiful work.
    Yeah, count me in there too. Got more books than I can read, but it's great knowing they are there when I want to read them. I always say there's a lotta' worse ways I could spend money.

I'm on the web all the time too if that counts, catching up on various things.
    @Strog, how is the Canterbury edition of the Sherlock Holmes stories? I don't know if you're aware, but they're my favorite books and I always get editions of them I like the looks of, but never knew they were printed by Canterbury until I went digging. I'd consider buying them if the quality, presentation and content was high (I'm sure they hold the stories from "Scandal in Bohemia" to "The Final Problem," or something like that").
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Strog wrote: »
    In the same token, it's absolutely true that the more one reads the more a thirst for knowledge is created, meaning that with every read book we complete we seem to find ourselves buying five more to replace it with.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Once I've finished a book, it's straight to its notes and bibliography for me. I must add at least 10 titles to my wishlist for every one I get to enjoy. I'm sure I'll never be able to afford as many books as I aspire to, let alone read them.

Being humbled by the bookshelf is certainly wise. I appreciated in our other discussion your pointing towards Sir Rog as the consummate example of a human being who thrived in life without being so self-serious, and I think he'd be the first to agree here that the first thing we all ought to admit is that we know nothing.

On another note, @barryt007 I can second the rec for Canterbury Classics. I have their Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and I've been meaning to pick up a few other editions of theirs as well. Really beautiful work.

I have the entire works re Sherlock Holmes in one big tome,all showing the original illustrations from the 'Illustrated News' per story,as it was serialised,back in the day.

I got it from a car boot sale years ago for 20p !!!

edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @barryt007, I found a similar tome of the Sherlock Holmes stories, with every short story and the entire Baskerville novel collected, for the price of just $10, and the same price is available in your British pounds:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Illustrated-Sherlock-Holmes-Magazine/dp/0890090572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507107940&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Original+Illustrated+Sherlock+holmes

It's a great collection, because the stories are printed with the illustrations exactly as they appeared in the Strand magazine in Doyle's day, so you get to read the stories as they were by the original readers of them in the papers. I'm a massive Sidney Paget fan and he's a big inspiration for me from an art standpoint, so when I saw how beautiful and crisp the original illustrations looked, I knew I had to get it for that alone.

I've got a few different collections of the Holme stories, but the ones that I use to read are the Wordsworth Collections of them, beautiful paperbacks that come with nice presentation, introductions and split up all 50 plus stories so that none of the books are a labor to carry around. I have a bad habit of buying every edition I like the look of, but I am looking to get a leather bound printing of the stories next, if I ever do. I'm not a fan of when older writing like the Holmes books are given flashy or modern day covers or designs, like the Penguin designs, because I think they should feel of their time in style and presentation, so I gravitate more towards old fashioned looking collections.
    @barryt007, I found a similar tome of the Sherlock Holmes stories, with every short story and the entire Baskerville novel collected, for the price of just $10, and the same price is available in your British pounds:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Illustrated-Sherlock-Holmes-Magazine/dp/0890090572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507107940&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Original+Illustrated+Sherlock+holmes

It's a great collection, because the stories are printed with the illustrations exactly as they appeared in the Strand magazine in Doyle's day, so you get to read the stories as they were by the original readers of them in the papers. I'm a massive Sidney Paget fan and he's a big inspiration for me from an art standpoint, so when I saw how beautiful and crisp the original illustrations looked, I knew I had to get it for that alone.

I've got a few different collections of the Holme stories, but the ones that I use to read are the Wordsworth Collections of them, beautiful paperbacks that come with nice presentation, introductions and split up all 50 plus stories so that none of the books are a labor to carry around. I have a bad habit of buying every edition I like the look of, but I am looking to get a leather bound printing of the stories next, if I ever do. I'm not a fan of when older writing like the Holmes books are given flashy or modern day covers or designs, like the Penguin designs, because I think they should feel of their time in style and presentation, so I gravitate more towards old fashioned looking collections.

Shit,i meant The Strand Magazine,not The Illustrated News.

I have got that same Sherlock Holmes tome and a boxset with all the various stories in bookform, so I doubled up somewhere along the lines. That Said I;ve got the Fleming novels in two languages and various editions. And do not get me started about my Charteris collection of Saint novels.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I was not aware they were your favorite. Amongst mine as well, though I don't collect editions as you do.

Actually, until I visited the CC website just now I had no idea that they had two different editions.

I do not have the hardback 'Leather Bound Classic' edition as found at the top of this page. That's the one that seems to have the range of stories you mentioned.

The edition I have is JUST The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and can be found at the top of this page, what they call their 'Word Cloud Classics.'

It's still leather-bound, but its pliant — like a collector's paperback, more or less. On Amazon it's referred to as Flexibound. I wouldn't mind having their hardback version— I don't have all the stories bound together in one volume, and this looks like a fine option—but I do quite like the one I've got. It reminds me of an adventurer's journal, the kind of thing in which Watson might have written the stories longhand. It's meant to travel, to be taken with you and held open with one hand on the subway. The leather cover and patterned end paper and ivory stock on which its printed scales the book up, but the overall presentation is casual enough to lend it a more pulpy feel.

I suppose the one 'problem' is that Adventures is the only Doyle work they offer this way, so you can't get a complete set. Also, there are no illustrations.
    @Strog, a short time before I got some of the leather bound Canterbury Classics at the store I mentioned I saw a stand with some of the printings like the Sherlock Holmes one you have, but I didn't realize they were by the same publisher. I'm not a fan of the look of the more modern designs, naturally, and prefer the classic leather bound and shifted my focus accordingly.

I appreciate you sharing the link to the main Canterbury page, as it gives a quick idea of all the printings in leather bound they have to buy and gives links directly to Amazon to purchase. I plan on getting some of them in the future, including the one with Arthurian legends, so it'll be a great resource to get right to Amazon without going on a heavy search for them. Cheers!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Kazuo Ishiguro, the author of the The Remains of the Day, has just been awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature. (Don't know which other thread this would fit in.)
    Kazuo Ishiguro, the author of the The Remains of the Day, has just been awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature. (Don't know which other thread this would fit in.)

Well put indeed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wumo57e3b211d04f05.84516533.png
    wumo599ec4a95d9010.88556405.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    This weekend it's been my turn to have the cold everyone in my office has been enjoying for the last fortnight, so I have spent the entire morning in bed reading a novel from cover to cover. I should do this every weekend, really.
    wumo599ec4a95d9010.88556405.jpg

This kind of thing pops into my head when I've got a book in my hand and I see everyone else with phones (this was college in a nutshell). I think, "Hey, maybe they're just using a different tool to read about interesting things like I am." The problem being that I know, and I think you know too, that most people don't do that. ;)
    Aren t they mostly on Fakebook?

Or texting, yes. But I don't think there's many kids that download scientific journals for on the move absorbing. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,804

Or texting, yes. But I don't think there's many kids that download scientific journals for on the move absorbing. ;)

I bought hundreds of back issues from the Criminal Law Review journal from eBay last year ranging from the 60s to the 2010. I probably need help! :))
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I bought hundreds of back issues from the Criminal Law Review journal from eBay last year ranging from the 60s to the 2010. I probably need help! :))

Well, you are degreed in the field (from what I understand) so not that strange, really. At least you're not reading them on your phone!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,804
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well, you are degreed in the field (from what I understand) so not that strange, really. At least you're not reading them on your phone!

Yes, I have a Masters in Law conversion degree after studying History and English at uni for my undergraduate degree. I'd like to get a job more suited to my education of course, but I'm still working on that.

My brother did think I was a bit mad for ordering a few boxes of journals but I just couldn't turn them down for £30 odd on eBay. I've bought a few more since too.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    This weekend it's been my turn to have the cold everyone in my office has been enjoying for the last fortnight, so I have spent the entire morning in bed reading a novel from cover to cover. I should do this every weekend, really.
    Or every day. ;)
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,151
    I certainly don't read as much as I should do. My "to be read" pile consists of various books, magazines and comics that I need to get to. Unfortunately, while I really want to get stuck in, mood is dictating otherwise and I am struggling to have the inclination to read. I will get there though and I shall soon make the effort to get that pile smaller. It does annoy me that I'm not reading anything at the minute.
    I certainly don't read as much as I should do. My "to be read" pile consists of various books, magazines and comics that I need to get to. Unfortunately, while I really want to get stuck in, mood is dictating otherwise and I am struggling to have the inclination to read. I will get there though and I shall soon make the effort to get that pile smaller.

@Shark_0f_Largo, I'm the same way, but every week I add to the pile.

I actually think getting in the mood to read decreases in likelihood as the pile of books rises. When you've only got a handful of books to catch up on your brain is more able to take that smaller number in, absorb what must be done and spend its energy reading the books. But when you've got shelves full of books, your brain gets overwhelmed by the amount, doesn't know where to begin, and ultimately doesn't bother with trying.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    That's a very good point Brady. Like you, I keep adding to the pile (the wife doesn't mind but does constantly ask when I'm going to read all these) but, if something takes my fancy, I just have to have it.

When I'm in the mood I can certainly go through plenty in a, relatively, short space of time, it's just being in that mood, which I haven't been for quite some time, hence the build up.