Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    You might want to try 'Donkey Punch'...another British film,starring Ray Winstone's daughter as well...a compelling watch.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.

Yes I used to have it on dvd as well, but after my last viewing a few years back realized I'd rather get a blu ray copy if it was available. So I did some checking and noticed that Screen Archives was about to do a limited number release and managed to get my hands on one.
    bondjames wrote: »
    You might want to try 'Donkey Punch'...another British film,starring Ray Winstone's daughter as well...a compelling watch.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.

Yes I used to have it on dvd as well, but after my last viewing a few years back realized I'd rather get a blu ray copy if it was available. So I did some checking and noticed that Screen Archives was about to do a limited number release and managed to get my hands on one.

Let me know wht you think when you see it...its not a gangster flick,its basically 3 girls on holiday looking for a sexy good time and end up on a big expensive yacht with 3 guys etc....i will say no more and not spoil it.

Well done for getting a limited edition as well,makes it even more precious !

Let me know wht you think when you see it...its not a gangster flick,its basically 3 girls on holiday looking for a sexy good time and end up on a big expensive yacht with 3 guys etc....i will say no more and not spoil it.
    Will do. The name of the film sort of gives me an idea of what may occur. Sounds intriguing.
    Will do. The name of the film sort of gives me an idea of what may occur. Sounds intriguing.

It is...lots of twists in a claustrophobic atmosphere,even though its a big big yacht.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sexy Beast (2000)
    VfytKve.jpg

I was very impressed with this film when I first saw it upon release. It was the first time I saw Ray Winstone in anything and I made note of him as someone to keep a look out for. However, it was Ben Kingsley who blew me away with his against type performance as Don Logan, a Cockney gangsta who visits Winstone's retired thief Gary 'Gal' Dove at his home in sunny Spain in order to coax him back to London for one last job. Gal would rather not go back to his old life, but Don is quite persuasive.

Director Jonathan Glazer does a marvelous job with this film in my view. It combines grit with style and flair. The eclectic soundtrack by Roque Banos is first class as well, and includes tracks by Henry Mancini, The Stranglers and UNKLE/South among others. There's a bit of Danny Boyle in Glazer's approach, which incorporates a youthful, colourful energy, a bit of eccentricity and some weird camera angles. There's also a bit of Scorsese. Most importantly, the acting and characterizations are first class here. Not only Kingsley and Winstone, but also the always superb Ian McShane in a role he was born to play.

I don't want to give anything more away, but you must watch this film if you are a fan of English gangster genre. You won't be disappointed. It's one of the best of the last 20 years. A masterclass in how to build tension & make the viewer unsettled without breaking the budget.

Great film @bondjames

It's one I watch quite regularly. For me Ben Kingsley as Don Logan is one of the most terrifying creations in cinema history. He burns a hole in the screen just with his glare!

I love the structure of the film and it's weird dream sequences.

The scenes between Winstone and McShane are also nicely intense.

Check out another great British gangster film, The Long Good Friday if you haven't already.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Revelator wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Videodrome (1983). Extremely disturbing and thought-provoking. Quite the experience.

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Beat me to it. My favorite Cronenberg film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Videodrome (1983). Extremely disturbing and thought-provoking. Quite the experience.

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Beat me to it. My favorite Cronenberg film.

I’m just starting to really work my way into his filmography. The Fly and The Dead Zone were AWESOME. Videodrome also excellent.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Dead Ringers with Jeremy Irons was Cronenberg wasnt it ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It was. Saw it in the cinema and didn t really care for it, but I liked his version of The Fly.

It was. Saw it in the cinema and didn t really care for it, but I liked his version of The Fly.

I cant remember too much about it now but i thought it was...The Fly is very good,Goldblum excellent as normal.

I cant remember too much about it now but i thought it was...The Fly is very good,Goldblum excellent as normal.

The follow-up was lame, though.

The follow-up was lame, though.

I cant watch that ,i turned it off as soon as the Labrador was turned inside out....too much.
    I forgot about that disgusting scene. I actually forgot the whole movie.
    I purposefully avoided it because it looked like trash. And the first ended perfectly. I’m excited to check out more of Cronenberg’s films; he seems to be a really solid, underappreciated director.
    I purposefully avoided it because it looked like trash. And the first ended perfectly. I’m excited to check out more of Cronenberg’s films; he seems to be a really solid, underappreciated director.

Cronenberg was always one of my favourite directors. Intelligent and fearless, but he's not for everyone.

Also check out:
    Shivers
    Rabid
    The Brood
    Scanners
    Dead Ringers
    Crash
    A History of Violence
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @LeonardPine I quite agree on the Winstone/McShane scenes from Sexy Beast. Intense without any physicality. It's all about the mood and the acting, and Glazer does a wonderful job of getting the best out of his on screen talent. As I mentioned in my review, I sensed just a bit of Danny Boyle in the energy and approach.

I've heard great things about The Long Good Friday, but haven't actually seen it myself. It's on my list, so thanks for reminding me about it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I forgot about that disgusting scene. I actually forgot the whole movie.

The sequel, thankfully, was not Cronenberg (a fellow Torontonian!).
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 9,730
    Taken 2

where do I begin with this film.. look first and foremost I know I am skipping over Unknown I put this in misremembering Neeson's order of films and it started and well here we are I think I am gonna do Taken 3 and finish up the series then go back and do the other films, unknown Walk among the tombstones Non-stop the star wars prequel trilogy and then who knows ....

but with my schedule out of the way where do I start with a sequel so many hate or deem unworthy look the idea of a sequel to Taken seems silly for a variety of reasons but in all honesty if we ignore sequelitus we get a really good film one that builds in the predecessor in a realistic way the idea of fleshing out the world of Taken the character of Mills Plus it has Maggie Grace in a freaking bikini and Famke is still super hot in 2012 (how could she not have Maud Adams it and been a bond girl again seriously even in a Craig film) the action sequences are great Liam is a bad ass and seeing Mills get kidnapped then retracing his steps to find his wife is freaking cool. While Taken is more original I have to say for purely superficial reasons (more Famke and Maggi in a Bikini) I eek this one out ever so slighy

up next Taken 3
    Films I have seen in 2018
    1. The A-team
    2. The Final Girls
    3. The Saint
    4. Taken 2
    5. Taken
    6. Stand By Me
    7. Before Sunrise
    8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    9. Goonies
    10. Before Midnight
    11. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken 2
    2. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. The A-team
    2. Taken 2
    3. Taken

@Risico007, the sequels could've had the greatest scripts ever crafted, and they'd be immediately ruined by that unbelievably foul editing and directing thanks to Megaton. Terrible, terrible movies, after what was such an exciting, fun original.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,242
    Dead Ringers (1988). Wow; a really well-done, original film. Jeremy Irons was fantastic. Cronenberg has impressed me a lot so far with his films that I have checked out.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Brilliant. I bought the Arrow Video box-set a while back. And what a revelation, the film I had seen before was cut to buggery. Great film from a fantastic film-maker. James Woods is just excellent in this.
    Dead Ringers (1988). Wow; a really well-done, original film. Jeremy Irons was fantastic. Cronenberg has impressed me a lot so far with his films that I have checked out.

Dead Ringers is one of his best definitely.

Fantastic performance from Jeremy Irons and Guinevere Bujold.

I was lucky to find the music soundtrack a few years back by Howard Shore.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I saw Red Sparrow (2018) a few days ago and really enjoyed it. A very neat Cold War-style cat & mouse chase involving spies in Russia/Hungary. Not a lot of action-oriented scenes, but the few I saw were very brutal, the story was quite interesting and the cast gave impressive performances - Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Jeremy Irons and Charlotte Rampling (especially the latter 2).
    @bondjames I saw Red Sparrow (2018) a few days ago and really enjoyed it. A very neat Cold War-style cat & mouse chase involving spies in Russia/Hungary. Not a lot of action-oriented scenes, but the few I saw were very brutal, the story was quite interesting and the cast gave impressive performances - Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Jeremy Irons and Charlotte Rampling (especially the latter 2).

Saw it recently too and enjoyed it. Rampling is certainly chilling. Would make a great Irma Bunt!!
    Lawrence gives a very good performance...very brave considering what her character endures during the film!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,882
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Saw it recently too and enjoyed it. Rampling is certainly chilling. Would make a great Irma Bunt!!
    Lawrence gives a very good performance...very brave considering what her character endures during the film!

I would have killed to see Rampling as a 70's Tracey (if I were around then). But now you mention it, she would make a damn fine Bunt (/Bunt-like villain) today. Her eyes have lost none of their power.

---

Carry On Sergeant (1958)
    Carry On Nurse (1959)
    Carry On Teacher (1960)
    Carry On Constable (1960)
    Carry On Regardless (1961)

Over the weekend, I got through the first 5 'Carry On...' films, and this is the first time that I have watched them in order. I'm curious to see what film marked the turning point with the humour.

1. Carry On Regardless (1961)
    2. Carry On Teacher (1960)
    3. Carry On Sergeant (1958)
    4. Carry On Nurse (1959)
    5. Carry On Constable (1960)

The soundtrack was amazing too yes. If this keeps up Cronenberg definitely will have become one of my favorite directors.

The soundtrack was amazing too yes. If this keeps up Cronenberg definitely will have become one of my favorite directors.

Check out his early 'body horror' stuff,

Shivers
    Rabid
    The Brood
    Scanners

All good films
    I’ll do that. The ones that most interested me that I haven’t seen yet are A History of Violence, Crash, The Brood, and Scanners. I may eventually end up watching them all though. My personal favorite is actually The Dead Zone, even though it doesn’t have as much of his signature style. The Fly, Videodrome, and Dead Ringers were also top notch though.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,368
    I'm ashamed to say I still have never seen The Fly, but I've heard nothing but great things about it over the years, including a lot of praise for the practical effects.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say I still have never seen The Fly, but I've heard nothing but great things about it over the years, including a lot of praise for the practical effects.

They were good for the 80s.