The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Greene and Le Chiffre as SPECTRE agents: cool, sure!

Silva? No. Just no.
    Swann really is a fine Bond girl. But certainly shouldn’t be held to Bond as importantly as Vesper and Tracy were.
    The look on Craig’s face when Swann tells him White had his wedding night here XD
    The Vesper tape is the best reference made to Vesper in SP. Subtle but effective. The problem with half of the callbacks is that they aren’t subtle enough. The film should have tried being its own thing a little more. Cut out some references, the connection with Blofeld and Bond, and Silva as a SPECTRE agent and I’d be happier with it. I will say I’m enjoying it a little more than my last watch of it. Unfortunately, the third act is on the way...
    Craig wearing the white tux is pretty cool. The talk with Swann is odd here. Bond says he felt he never had a choice of what he wanted to do being an assassin. For a brief minute they were trying to get to the heart of Bond. I think Bond 25 will make it clear Bond is stuck with MI6 until death.

Train fight with Hinx! Sadly, the last big highlight. But it is great.
    Act 3 is underway. Oh boy; this is known to be a bumpy ride.
    I thought Waltz was a good choice to play Blofeld. I still feel that way; the problem is how they wrote the character. It’s just too bland sadly. He has his moments but not nearly enough meat to establish himself as a great villain.
    Bond and Blofeld do get some good interaction in the computer room scene.
    White cat. One of the best little touches of the film. The rest of the torture scene is pretty meh though.
    “I love you.”

I dislike that line.

One of the things that irks me most is Bond being able to suddenly regain all his strength magically after torture.
    Still, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a little cool to see Bond blow up Blofeld’s lair.
    I JUST NOTICED FOR THE FIRST TIME TWO CARS DRIVING AWAY FROM THE WRECKAGE. Blofeld must have been in one of them.
    “No, you can’t stay here, or...?” Unintentionally funny?
    Blofeld’s eye/scar is pretty good. Darn shame most of the rest of the finale isn’t.
    It was so obvious Blofeld was going to live. Quite an anti-climax. After DAD and MR, probably my least favorite third act/climax. Still, I guess it is refreshing to see the main villain live through the Bond film. I wonder if we will hear anything at all about SPECTRE or Blofeld in Bond 25. The way SP ends it leaves it up to the writers. I think it’s tied up enough if they wish to ignore it. SPECTRE still exists, but without Blofeld they’re probably in shambles.
    So it ends. SP remains one of my least favorite entries, but I did have a better time with it today than the last watch I had. I’m more at peace with its flaws. Safely away from the very bottom, yet easily my least favorite of Craig’s entries. It has some really good stuff here and there, but collectively is far less energetic and standalone which hurts it. That being said, not a total loss.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,347

This works quite well
    Going to go for SF in around an hour or so. Always a blast for me.
    SF begins. No traditional gunbarrel, but the way it opens with Bond is almost like an alternate gunbarrel...
    This is one great PTS. One amazing thing about the Craig era is that I would probably put all 4 of his PTSs in my overall Top 10 PTSs in the series.
    SF pretty effortlessly ignores CR and QOS. I don’t see why Bond 25 can’t do the same with SP.
    “Agent down.”

Cue awesome title song and credits. SF starts great (of course).
    One thing I really love about SF is that it’s one of the most “British” of all the Bonds.
    Craig and Dench have terrific chemistry - especially in SF.
    Bond being out of shape was certainly a unique idea SF presented. I wouldn’t necessarily want to see it again, but it was a cool idea to see executed pretty well.
    SF is also the least action-oriented Craig Bond film, which is kind of refreshing. It’s not lacking action but doesn’t pile it on. Perhaps the least action-packed entry since TLD or AVTAK? Kind of neat anyway. The way they look at Bond’s character in SF is great; we see a little more of him than before, but it never goes too far.
    Ah, the Shanghai sequence. One of my favorite segments of all Bond films. Just awesome.
    The sequence in Macau is pretty great too. There’s not much about SF that I don’t love. Happy to be one of the film’s most avid supporters on our site.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,269
    One of my favorite uses of the “Bond, James Bond” line. So cool. Especially felt good after the lack of it in QOS.
    Time for Silva’s introduction. Such a great Bond villain; my favorite of the Craig era.