007 references in popular culture

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    echo wrote: »
    I find Rowan Atkinson desperately unfunny.

I don’t mind mr bean but I find Johnny English atrocious
    "Something less expensive ?" Like a BMW, Pierce ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gerard wrote: »
    "Something less expensive ?" Like a BMW, Pierce ?
    Let's thank God it wasn't a 750il. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In the latest issue of Batman: White Knight, Bruce Wayne is given Dalton's Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Just look at the license plate!

mvJOD1O.jpg

Who's the Pierce being referred to?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tragic how many people think Mr Bean is the peak of Rowan Atkinson's achievements when it's actually the nadir.

Some people really need to educate themselves a bit and watch Blackadder.

'Welcome, lads! This is the stuff, eh? Christmas sherry and charades with honest, manly fellows. What can I do with a girl that I can't do with you?'
    'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    In the latest issue of Batman: White Knight, Bruce Wayne is given Dalton's Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Just look at the license plate!

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

Some character whose cocktail party Bruce attends. Somebody who pisses him off later on.
    Tragic how many people think Mr Bean is the peak of Rowan Atkinson's achievements when it's actually the nadir.

'Welcome, lads! This is the stuff, eh? Christmas sherry and charades with honest, manly fellows. What can I do with a girl that I can't do with you?'
    'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.
    While I like Mr. Bean, it's actually true that people really don't think of Blackadder when they see Rowan Atkinson. Blackadder (especially Season 3) is a work of genius! It explains people need a clown to laugh at rather than a... an orator?

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

Some character whose cocktail party Bruce attends. Somebody who pisses him off later on.

'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.
    While I like Mr. Bean, it's actually true that people really don't think of Blackadder when they see Rowan Atkinson. Blackadder (especially Season 3) is a work of genius! It explains people need a clown to laugh at rather than a... an orator?

Possibly or it could be just that the general public are morons. Look at the utterly inexplicable popularity of Mrs Brown's Boys.

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.

Possibly or it could be just that the general public are morons. Look at the utterly inexplicable popularity of Mrs Brown's Boys.
    I tried to watch that on recommendation of somebody I know. I've never seen such hideously developed comedy in the history of British humour. Where are the likes of 'Alo 'Alo! when you need one?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

Atkinson is amazingly rubber-faced, but for me his best and funniest attribute is his dry, droll delivery, so it seems a waste that Bean barely speaks.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 5,772
    Funny thing, speaking of Mister Bean : The other day, I read the seventh volume of The Saga of Madame Atomos, and in one of the short stories, we learn why Mr. Bean is the way he is. And it's horrible and tragic. Nothing funny here.

mme-atomos-7-madame-atomos-seme-la-tempete-de-michel-stephan-1038836517_L.jpg

AFAIK, the diabolical japanese woman hasn't met Bond (yet). But I wouldn't bet on him being victorious in case of a confrontation.

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.

I tried to watch that on recommendation of somebody I know. I've never seen such hideously developed comedy in the history of British humour.

I trust you've severed all ties with said person? I advise you to take their advice with more than a pinch of salt in future otherwise you might find yourself holidaying in Aleppo on their 'recommendation'.

Given we're talking Blackadder and to get things back on topic there's the Scarlett Pimpernel episode in Blackadder 3 where Tim Mcinnery delivers the line 'Shaken not stirred' with impeccable suaveness.

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.

I tried to watch that on recommendation of somebody I know. I've never seen such hideously developed comedy in the history of British humour.

I trust you've severed all ties with said person? I advise you to take their advice with more than a pinch of salt in future otherwise you might find yourself holidaying in Aleppo on their 'recommendation'.

Given we're talking Blackadder and to get things back on topic there's the Scarlett Pimpernel episode in Blackadder 3 where Tim Mcinnery delivers the line 'Shaken not stirred' with impeccable suaveness.
    I trust nobody's but my own perceptions for a while now. You're right, it's a crowd for the American Pie fanatics today rather than something that portraits wit.

Ah yes! That episode actually made me laugh quite a lot. Insulting the French has never been better. And the demise of Sir Percy Blakeney? Good God! :))

mvJOD1O.jpg

Not the Bond actor. ;)

'I cannot conceive Sir.'

Sublime.

I cant stand that Mrs Brown shit.

My personal favourite Blackadder series is Blackadder II...just perfect sarcastic comedy...razor sharp.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't think Blackadder has been shown or been available in Germany (didn't feel like buying it from Britain just to try), so I cannot comment. My personal take on Rowan Atkinson is that I find his role in NSNA (which I do like otherwise, just for the record) atrocious and among the worst aspects of that movie, and that I found those bits and pieces I saw from Mr. Bean plainly unfunny and stupid. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised by Johnny English, which I'd rate considerably higher than the Austin Powers movies with their excessive fart-and-poo-poo humour.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I don't think Blackadder has been shown or been available in Germany (didn't feel like buying it from Britain just to try), so I cannot comment. My personal take on Rowan Atkinson is that I find his role in NSNA (which I do like otherwise, just for the record) atrocious and among the worst aspects of that movie, and that I found those bits and pieces I saw from Mr. Bean plainly unfunny and stupid. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised by Johnny English, which I'd rate considerably higher than the Austin Powers movies with their excessive fart-and-poo-poo humour.

In Blackadder ,especially series II he is awesome....it's the Elizabethan times and he is brilliant.

mvJOD1O.jpg

Good to know the car has been in good hands and we'll cared for!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Jeopardy is a big nightly tradition in my family, and as a Bond fan I always await the nights where the categories or questions relate to something within Bondology, which sadly is a rarity. This week, however, was quite out of the ordinary.

To start off, within the past week there was a contestant on the show who was a massive Bond fan (Roger Moore was his favorite, he said) whose dad got him into the films as a young boy. I instantly began rooting for this gentleman, though he ended up not doing very well at all. Still, great to see fellow Bond fans out there.

And tonight the final question on Jeopardy was in the category of "Novels of the '60s," a title that got me excited as images of the Bond books came over me during the commercial break before the question was revealed. And sure enough, I was right in my suspicions, as the question wanted to know what book Fleming's famous line about life and death was from, that being You Only Live Twice. As I read the first words of the question I fear I woke up the whole house (though my parents were quite alert and awake) and made my dog have an alarming start from his nap when I shared my enthusiasm at the reference. I count Fleming as one of the literary greats, so I always get excited when his work is featured in such a way and when people know about his books (I was happy to see that 2/3 of the contestants got it, too).

It was a good Jeopardy week.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Nice to see Laz’ and Dalt’s cars being referred to!
    I'm catsitting for a friend while he's on holiday, which means I get to read his collection of old Beano annuals. This is from 1995:

235756_600.jpg

For non-Brits:
    - Beano = weekly comic
    - Annual = hardback book of comic strips your grandma gives you for Christmas
    - Gnasher = Dennis the Menace's dog
    - Dennis the Menace = the REAL Dennis the Menace
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Why does anyone have to catsit? One has a cat so no one has to "sit". Filling the bowl with food should be enough. (I'm saying that as a long-time multiple cat owner, not as a cat hater, mind y'all.)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Perhaps the safety of the cats is in question after veiled threats from a co-worker. Just sayin'.
    Oh, the cat is just fine if I drop in, top up the bowl and leave - but as I don't have any four-leggers of my own currently, I like to stay and hang out with her for a bit.
    Cats are evil, but also very resourceful for sure. They have my antagonism, but also my respect.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    1965. Heinz pickles.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    hvem-kan-stoppe-cyanina-kun-for-dine-oyne.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In the European secret agent comic series Bruno Brazil, his boss goes by the name L, and he even bears a slight resemblance to M as depicted by Yaroslav Horak, and he is a pipesmoker, too.
    BrunoBrazil.jpg
    Can't help but see Lee Van Cleef there, also.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,686
    The Goldeneye 007 video game is mentioned in Spielberg's latest film, Ready Player One (2018).
    The Goldeneye 007 video game is mentioned in Spielberg's latest film, Ready Player One (2018).
    Can't say I'm surprised since Spielberg's son back in the day was apparently a fan of the game, which prompted him to outline the first Medal of Honor game.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,759
    hvem-kan-stoppe-cyanina-kun-for-dine-oyne.jpg

A Franco-Belgian comic! :)