No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Walecs wrote: »
    If Arnold is back, we can be 100% confident that the title track will be woven into the score.

Only if he’s allowed to collaborate on the title track. The only times I think he’s been allowed to do this was TWINE and CR. TWINE is Garbage sadly. With YKMN it works a treat.

More often than not EON have foisted some has-been pop star on for the title track and ended up with total crud.

Such a shame uber bore Newman didn’t want to work with Adele’s title tune - would have elevated SF soundtrack massively.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Getafix wrote: »
    TWINE is Garbage sadly.
    That's purely subjective. And that's putting it mildly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TWINE was Garbage, wasn't it? At least the title song was ;)
    TWINE is Garbage sadly.

Agreed.
    The Group was garbage,the title song and score certainly wasn't,i think its excellent.

@bondjames To be honest I'm
    bondjames wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    When can we get confirmation from EON on this, you think?

_________
    Also, is Arnold "blacklisted"? For what?

as Boyle himself says, all depends on Hodge's script
    Eon and the distributor perhaps still nursing wounds from the Logan debacle. This time they're wisely hedging.

I'm more skeptical about Hodge than Boyle to be honest. I've never been a fan of Logan but he could write strong characters and dialogues, sometimes even great ones. It was his plotting that was muddled up (it's almost part of his style). I find Trainspotting overrated but I guess Hodge overall got stronger credentials.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    @bondjames To be honest I'm

_________

Eon and the distributor perhaps still nursing wounds from the Logan debacle. This time they're wisely hedging.

I'm more skeptical about Hodge than Boyle to be honest. I've never been a fan of Logan but he could write strong characters and dialogues, sometimes even great ones. It was his plotting that was muddled up (it's almost part of his style). I find Trainspotting overrated but I guess Hodge overall got stronger credentials.
    I really enjoyed Penny Dreadful and I believe that was Logan. I also liked SF and I believe he had quite a bit of involvement in that. Both had great characterizations. So I don't blame Logan for SP like others do. The fault for that mess lies with our friendly producers for letting him go off on a tangent without a clear brief and guidelines around which to base his story for SP. The buck should stop with the top (and that includes co-producer).

I am not familiar with Hodge, but the way they are apparently going about this (dueling scripts, or at least entirely separate concoctions) suggests that they want to avoid the issue with SP (too many cooks stinking up the broth). It's either one way (P&W) or the other (Hodge) this time.
    Oh I don't blame Logan entirely but a lot of issues I have with SP (even though I enjoyed it) are pure Logan sensibilities. I was glad he was off.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    TWINE is Garbage sadly.

Agreed.
    The Group was Garbage,the title song and score certainly wasn't,i think its excellent.
    Agreed. I like Shirley Manson myself. And TWINE's song is absolutely and indubitably Bondian without having to imitate Shirley Bassey or Tom Jones.
    Metro is a free newspaper for commuters,you pick them up in the mornings from stations.
    Then in the afternoon the free Evening Standard comes out.
    I see! I'd hope it'd be reliable. Shame we have to question like this.
    I am not familiar with Hodge, but the way they are apparently going about this (dueling scripts, or at least entirely separate concoctions) suggests that they want to avoid the issue with SP (too many cooks stinking up the broth). It's either one way (P&W) or the other (Hodge) this time.
    Yeah, the dueling scripts approach is interesting. You may be right that the writing process on SP had something to do with it.

Has Eon ever had more than one script on the table to put into production before?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If Arnold does the score I will preorder the cd without hearing anything before hand
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    for all of you who still doubt the news is legit (which btw is always a good thing):

00Agent wrote: »
    for all of you who still doubt the news is legit (which btw is always a good thing):

That laugh! Maybe he should have played a Bond villain himself? :))
    If Arnold does the score I will preorder the cd without hearing anything before hand

Fingers crossed !!

• edited March 2018 Posts: 1,031
    Strog wrote: »
    Metro is a free newspaper for commuters,you pick them up in the mornings from stations.
    Then in the afternoon the free Evening Standard comes out.
    I see! I'd hope it'd be reliable. Shame we have to question like this.
    Yeah, the dueling scripts approach is interesting. You may be right that the writing process on SP had something to do with it.

Has Eon ever had more than one script on the table to put into production before?

I don't think they've had two seperate and distinct scripts before. They have of course had scripts that have ended up very differently but based on earlier screenplays - e.g. TSWLM's original script had the submarine idea and the idea of Bond falling for a Soviet spy but was quite different - taking a lot of inspiration from Moonraker the novel. Michael France's first GE draft is very different to the final screenplay but a lot of the original ideas are there - the character of Trevelyan - the lines spoken at the climax asking if the vodka martinis Bond has drunk has silenced the screams of his assassinations and finding forgiveness in the arms of willing women came all the way thru from that draft.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,281

Fingers crossed !!

With Arnold I would at least enjoy the score. With Newman, it really just ruined the film experience for me.

_________

Wonder how much of the script that's written. would be lovely with confirmation of their involvement soon.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339

Fingers crossed !!

With Arnold I would at least enjoy the score. With Newman, it really just ruined the film experience for me.

Newman hammered the final nail into SP's coffin.
    I will never forgive him for being so lazy,presumptious and arrogant by re-cycling SF score (which isn't one of my favourites in the first place !!)

I have no time for Newman.

Cool! Atleast we have something to discuss! His laugh is infectious for sure!
    That recycling of the SF-Score was the idea of Mendes, right? So it's not Newman's fault

• edited March 2018 Posts: 17,281

Fingers crossed !!

I will never forgive him for being so lazy,presumptuous and arrogant by re-cycling SF score (which isn't one of my favourites in the first place !!)

I remember getting angry when I first heard the recycling at the cinema. Didn't help that I left the cinema somewhat disappointed by the film as a whole, either.

A discussion for a different thread, but I have actually yet to speak to someone who was at all positive with SP. Went to see it with some friends, and they labeled it as boring, slow, bad, shit, etc.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    That recycling of the SF-Score was the idea of Mendes, right? So it's not Newman's fault

The final decision and buck stops with Newman,imo.

The recycling really took me out of the movie - the opposite of what a film score is supposed to do. I get that they might have wanted to use similar themes - heck Arnold uses some themes that are similar in TWINE, DAD and CR. But I was sat there in the cinema during the PTS just thinking 'that is the score from Skyfall, what the ....'
    Does Boyle know his Bond history? For me that’s a must for all directors directing Bond.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Does Boyle know his Bond history? For me that’s a must for all directors directing Bond.

There are certainly a few references in Trainspotting.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

There we have it, then. I'll update the thread when I get a chance.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

He has been a big fan for a long time,luckily.

That laugh is incredible!

BREAKING: DANNY BOYLE CONFIRMS HE WILL DIRECT BOND 25

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/danny-boyle-confirms-plans-direct-bond-25-093756471.html

981dd0fa4a0b85d208db7067db8aacf0

I'll take it! If for only the fact that we don't have Mendes coming back to continue the poorly executed Blofeld reboot. Not a bad resume either. Here's hoping for a proper standalone film for Craig's farewell. Oh, and let's keep Feinnes, Harris and Wishaw at headquarters and only featured in the first 25 minutes of the film (and maybe the closing scene for a quip).

Fingers crossed !!

I will never forgive him for being so lazy,presumptious and arrogant by re-cycling SF score (which isn't one of my favourites in the first place !!)

I left the cinema feeling I had just seen a work-print for SP in which the actual score hadn't been composed yet. It was astonishingly lazy and disappointing.
    I'd much rather have Arnold back, TBH. I'm sure there are some excellent composers today, but 99% of the films I've seen recently do NOT have memorable music. That includes Wonder Woman, Batman V Superman, the latest Spiderman,...really all the DC and Marvel films. They all blend together to me. The music in the Taken films sounded exactly like the music in Hitman for instance.
    I stand firm by my belief that each Bond film should have a memorable score that gives each film it's own identity. FRWL, GF, YOLT, OHMSS. MR, all had vastly different sounds but each was undeniably Bond. Same with the non Barry composers of the Cubby era. LALD sounded different but very Bondian to me.
    I most certainly hope there is a composer out there who understands Bond music.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    JBFan626 wrote: »

BREAKING: DANNY BOYLE CONFIRMS HE WILL DIRECT BOND 25

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/danny-boyle-confirms-plans-direct-bond-25-093756471.html

981dd0fa4a0b85d208db7067db8aacf0

I'll take it! If for only the fact that we don't have Mendes coming back to continue the poorly executed Blofeld reboot. Not a bad resume either. Here's hoping for a proper standalone film for Craig's farewell. Oh, and let's keep Feinnes, Harris and Wishaw at headquarters and only featured in the first 25 minutes of the film (and maybe the closing scene for a quip).

i didn't think a Standalone 25 could be a possiblity, until Boyle confirmed his involvement.
    I don't see how he would even want to continue that mess, and i don't think his "idea" has any connection to what came before
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I feel confident in saying that with Boyle directing we will get a memorable score. Memorable isn't always good, but we can deduce that much.